• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Puddles, faces...I'll never understand the aggressiveness towards trivial shit like this.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
He does look younger, but a like teenager seems like an exaggeration. I feel like people have way too limited a concept of what people in their 20's, especially early 20's can look like if the reaction to this recasting is anything to go by.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I for one would say he looks more similar to Tom Holland now, which is playing a high school student in Spider-Man. So im on the fence that yes he looks like a teenager, and Im absolutely not a fan of the recast. It seems unnecessary to me. Again, everybody is entitled to their own opinion though.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It's embarrassing. Like, we've got more important things to be mad about than Peter Parker's face. Fuck outta here with that shit.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
So they motion-capture the voice actor but then they also have a face model. Interesting, never heard of such a process but makes sense that it's a problem when the two don't match. Shoulda picked a better match in the first place.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I get not liking that they changed it if you preferred the other actor, but why are ppl getting angry? It shouldn't hold enough relevance to generate that sort of emotion out of you, idk maybe I'm crazy.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know there might be some legitimate examples of companies in the past that aren't upfront with all the reasons for certain decisions, but it's so frustrating to see developers explain the reason for something pretty clearly, have no reason to lie (outside of this weird MCU conspiracy idea), and still have people be like "I don't believe you, what's the real reason"

There's nowhere to go from there. Do people want them to make up a reason that fits their imagination better?

I dunno this whole situation is just frustrating to watch.
You just can't win. It is ridiculous.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Nobody is really trying to make the argument that the series will be less commercially successful as a result of the actor/model change.

If the third Spider-Man MCU movie replaced Marisa Tomei with Kristen Stewart and people were annoyed about it, I'm not sure why "Oh it'll make 500 million at the box office anyway, that's irrelevant!" would be a response that makes much sense.

What's the point you're getting at then? (genuinely curious, not being a dick) This whole thing is on the same level of controversy as puddlegate. It'll be forgotten about as people are 2 hours into the remaster. It's fair for either side to like or dislike the new model. But to make it some huge issue and point of contention is laughably ridiculous. I personally think it looks better, but I had zero attachment to the original. I'd have way more of an issue with them changing the VA. Yuri's voice for the character has way more staying power to me than that stinkin' character model.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm confused. If he's the voice of Peter, why doesn't he do the mocap too?
He does (or at least the facial capture). But he's also pushing 50 so they can't really use his likeness for the character. They wanted a model that matched his bone structure closer.

Though I have my suspicion that there were some contract disputes here that they won't openly talk about. But that's just speculation

Either way, what a weird controversy. It was a character design for one whole game.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
What a weird excuse. Blink if Jack Ryan and or Marvel are holding you hostage, insomniac

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is nice

I get why some people are upset (but of course, acting like a baby like some are doing is not justified)

It's like changing Tom Holland in the Spiderman movies for another actor, but with the same voice. People would get mad and feel weird about it.

Honestly the "face" justification thing ...

I honestly don't buy it. Yuri mocaped the first game and the animations were perfect.

How wouldn't that be something that they noticed during development of the first game? Why they didnt change the model back then to fit Yuri's bone structure?

Tinfoil hat time: I think that they did because the new model looks a lot like Tom Holland (it really does) and that could boost sales even more

I prefer the old model, but I dont care enough for it. I'll buy the remaster anyways, love the new additions.

You don't think mocap tech is going to be better and more detailed going forward?

You're saying this about a game that already sold 10 million + copies.

Jesus Christ.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Gamers are the worst. The recasting is a clear improvement.

"They made him younger and hotter. Gamers rise up!"

Reactionaries are so exhausting.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Just recently I started using Twitter and just peeking under the carpet a tad is mind blowing how hate on that platform gets the forefront of attention. Literally any post I see the replies are ALWAYS angry or nuts. How does anyone read that shit?

Everything is a "stand" that needs to be taken. So gross.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thee big issue fans seem to have with this decision though is that the new face looks younger. In the game Peter Parker is 23, but the new face makes him look more like a teenager.

wenn34100000.jpg

Tom Holland. Age 24

110008247_3048565651905763_6471336416599595507_n.jpg

Ben Jorden. Age 26

464158860.jpg

Ella Coltrane Age 21

457493930.jpg

Logan Lerman. Age 23

475063085.jpg

Craig Roberts. Age 24

People just don't know what a early 20's male looks like.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I for one would say he looks more similar to Tom Holland now, which is playing a high school student in Spider-Man. So im on the fence that yes he looks like a teenager, and Im absolutely not a fan of the recast. It seems unnecessary to me. Again, everybody is entitled to their own opinion though.
Well sure, I'm not arguing about whether you should like the recast, I'm just saying that in my opinion this definition of who does or doesn't look like a teenager is kind of weird when we know for a fact that not only both this actor and the previous one are about the same age, they're also both older than the character in the game.

I get that it's weird that just Peter has a different face all of a sudden, I thought the same thing.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
What I don't understand is: if the reason for changing his face is so that it suits the voice actor better, then why does the reanimated scene they put out show a worse performance than the original? Some subtle animations where lost in the transition, so what did we gain?

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not like Peter Parker has had 100 different faces over the last 60 years or anything, big flippin' deal

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all are hitting the age where everyone in their 20s starts to look like a child and it shows.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
That's in gen. And not always the case. You all continually think these decisions are made haphazardly. I just don't understand how you all continually think you just know better than developers at every turn. I know you wouldn't want people doing that in what ever you specialize in.
Oh, I dont think that I know more than the developers, that's for sure.
I just think that they could have changed for marketing reasons, and they wouldnt admit it if that was the real reason.

I just dont take companies words for granted, sorry

Again, doesnt mean that I'm boycotting the game or anything like that. I'm just discussing about it because I can think of other reasons for the change (doesn't mean that what they are saying isn't the truth)

And oh, I'm used to people thinking that knows more than me in my field. I'm an economist.

I feel bad for doctors tho

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, I keep thinking that people have just.... forgotten what people in their early 20s look like? They (often) look really young!

Older people who think they still look like they're in their 20s still maybe!

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
They could've tried a little harder. Like Yuri actually has a pretty distinctive facial structure, they could've actually made Peter look kinda weird the way Yuri does and that would've at least fit the character better.

This dude just feels like they wanted someone who was vaguely in the same ballpark as Yuri but with more classical Hollywood features, but in turn ended up picking a face so generic it looks like Ansel Elgort and the kid from Ready Player One did the fusion dance. And he doesn't look like an experienced hero at all - I can't take that face seriously as a MENTOR.
People are so used to teen movie and CW show casting they can't tell what real young people look like lol. The actor for the new face is still years older than Peter is even supposed to be in the game, so the notion he looks too young is bizarre to me. I'll blame stuff like Mean Girls, 13 Reasons Why, Riverdale, etc.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Just recently I started using Twitter and just peeking under the carpet a tad is mind blowing how hate on that platform gets the forefront of attention. Literally any post I see the replies are ALWAYS angry or nuts. How does anyone read that shit?

Everything is a "stand" that needs to be taken. So gross.
The platform is primed for controversy. More controversy = higher engagement. It's toxic to the core, by design.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Holland. Age 24

Ben Jorden. Age 26

Ella Coltrane Age 21

Logan Lerman. Age 23

Craig Roberts. Age 24

Actually, some people look younger than what they are. Tom Holland plays as a high school student because he can pull it off. He was also 21 when Homecoming released, and younger when it was being filmed.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I don't hate the change it just feels unnecessary and I do feel like the old face is more... unique? I get the explanation but it's not like Peter's face looked bad before? It seems like the new face is just easier for Insomniac to work with because it's closer to Yuri's face so I don't blame them for making the change. It's just always odd whenever a developer changes a character's face or voice. Either way, it certainly doesn't deserve the backlash that it's gotten. Though this was the game that made people enraged about puddles so this backlash isn't surprising.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
lol what a fucking embarrassing situation.

and why even give this attention by writing an article? Let the whiners whine and get over it. You would think we had multiple games spanning multiple gens with the previous Peter character or some shit lmao

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Well sure, I'm not arguing about whether you should like the recast, I'm just saying that in my opinion this definition of who does or doesn't look like a teenager is kind of weird when we know for a fact that not only both this actor and the previous one are about the same age, they're also both older than the character in the game.

I get that it's weird that just Peter has a different face all of a sudden, I thought the same thing.
Whether or not the actor is older doesnt really matter. Its about how they appear visually in the game. In the game he could easily be mistaken for a High School student.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
This is nice

I get why some people are upset (but of course, acting like a baby like some are doing is not justified)

It's like changing Tom Holland in the Spiderman movies for another actor, but with the same voice. People would get mad and feel weird about it.

Honestly the "face" justification thing ...

I honestly don't buy it. Yuri mocaped the first game and the animations were perfect.

How wouldn't that be something that they noticed during development of the first game? Why they didnt change the model back then to fit Yuri's bone structure?

Tinfoil hat time: I think that they did because the new model looks a lot like Tom Holland (it really does) and that could boost sales even more

I prefer the old model, but I dont care enough for it. I'll buy the remaster anyways, love the new additions.
Again, the change is most likely for the sequel which is probably full next gen.

What I don't understand is: if the reason for changing his face is so that it suits the voice actor better, then why does the reanimated scene they put out show a worse performance than the original? Some subtle animations where lost in the transition, so what did we gain?
You'll likely see the big improvement on the sequel instead (or MM if the new Peter appears) where they probably improved the tech of their mocap system.
They're not gonna redo the mocap of the first game I don't think. They probably just swap the model and fix some quirks while the original model animation probably got a lot of tweaks by the animators.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
You know that 'look' you sometimes get from people when you tell them you're a gamer?

Fucking nonsense like this is why we get that look because we all get folded in with these cretins.

What an embarrassment.

Grow up!