• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Strange thing to get angry about, especially when technically the new model is far superior.

Not my image, but saw online.

20201001-002423.jpg
Yeah, this is an improvement imo.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
People in their mid 20s still look hella young these days. In my late 20s I could pass as a fresh college student. (Still can if I shave in my early 30s)

This idea that people don't look young in their mid 20s is so lame. If you (generally speaking) look like a bum at 23-30, stop drinking and smoking weed. Just facts.

At this point, Peter has been Spider-Man for 6 years. That's 6 years of fighting and constant stress. Should he still look a teenager?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Strange thing to get angry about, especially when technically the new model is far superior.

They would've been able to accomplish something like that on PS5 if they kept the original design as well. Instead they changed the entire character into some generic CW prettyboy.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to believe that anyone is actually even partially upset about this. I hope I am right.
A lot of people in the thread on Era about it seem like they're about to throw hands (if they could over the internet).

I just don't get being upset about a new face for a character that has had many faces over the years. He also doesn't look like Tom Holland. They both look young and are white, but they really don't look alike.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
People spent the last year bagging on Marvel's Avengers because they didn't like the look of the principal characters. The appearance of a player character is going to be of some interest to audiences, so it's weird to me seeing this change brushed off as irrelevant.

It's easy to see why people are upset. Emotional connections are important to this kind of storytelling, "eyes are the window to the soul". For a lot of people they connected to the original. It's unsettling to see the exact same scenes, everything else being the same (technical improvements aside), with a new head placed on the body.

Still, no need to be mean about it. Express your displeasure without directing vitriol at the devs or actors.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It blows me away, every time, the trivial shit people will complain about. New Peter looks good, old Peter looked good, everything will be ok.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
if there is anything to complain about its the GREEEEEEEEEED

giphy.gif

Oct 24, 2019
I always think it's important to keep Peter at least kind of nerdy. The dude is a gigantic dork who comes out of his shell when he's got his mask on. Making him some weird CW prettyboy runs counter to that.

Marvels-Spider-Man-Remastered-the-confrontation-between-new-and-old-Peter.jpg

I really don't think the old version looks that much nerdier than the new one to be honest. He just has a receding hairline lol.

Like yes I know Peter is often drawn fairly handsomely in the comics, but they still TRY to play up the fact he's a nerd too. I can't see this new guy as a scientist, he looks like he should be arm-wrestling Archie in Riverdale.

Ok, this cracked up haha, I would love to see that now.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think it looked good. I figured it was a coorinated effort to have him look the same here and in Avengers. It's a stupid thing to get worked up over anyway.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people in the thread on Era about it seem like they're about to throw hands (if they could over the internet).

I just don't get being upset about a new face for a character that has had many faces over the years. He also doesn't look like Tom Holland. They both look young and are white, but they really don't look alike.

This isn't a new story by new artists. They literally took the exact scenes from the first game and popped a new head on the body. It's easy to see why that is unsettling.

Once again, no need to be mean to anyone about, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
At this point, Peter has been Spider-Man for 6 years. That's 6 years of fighting and constant stress. Should he still look a teenager?

The guy is also Spider-Man. He's beyond peak human physical condition & physiology. You can get that stressed and tired performance out (and Yuri did with his mo-cap and voice work) without him needing to look 4-7 years past his age. And 23 is still young, but this new model does not look like a teenager.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Making a big deal over this non-issue.

I don't remember seeing anyone making a big deal over it. Most posts were along the lines of "new face looks too young/too much like Tom Holland" which is a completely reasonable milquetoast reaction. Obviously people harassing the actor on instagram are assholes, but calling era part of the problem is a weird stretch.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Lmfao. people truly truly need to get out more. The guy was in mask way more than in cut scenes.

I really wanna credit the constant outrage over people being bored and miserable during a pandemic, but in reality, people have been fucking miserable online forever. Latching onto whatever the current "controversy" is gives them some excitement in their lives.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
This much angst over a face? This is embarrassing. You are playing a videogame where the main character is masked the majority of the time. Almost anything in this universe is worth more focus than this.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the new face by faar, but people not happy with the change sound normal and expected to me? people don't like change in actors or even voice actors unless it's necessary. Totally understandable. I like to trash gamers from time to time too, but not this time.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the new face just gives me weird uncanny valley vibes, also his facial expression vs the old peter seems off or different, like he is a different person in some cutscenes and that just rubs me the wrong way. I hate any sort of recast in tv/movies or games, it just takes me out of it.

Oct 30, 2017
Eh I think this is good press.

All of the sudden people are talking about Spiderman all over the media and social media. It's just bringing more attention to the PS5 and the upcoming Spiderman games.

The new Peter model is good. If it were laughably bad, that might hurt it. But this model is perfectly fine. But it's generating tons of discussion.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Imagine doubting the fact that they changed his model for technical reasons.
I mean it could be, the reason doesn't have to be a single one, but besides disliking the change, discussing a bit about it and moving on, the fact that people are taking their sweet time going to Twitter, YT and posts from people involved in the game to voice their concern and pretty much yell at everyone involved is just pathetic. Then again I'm not surprised at all, to this day ND and TLoU posts on Twitter and Facebook still get the expected "game is trash!" comments and shit like that. I don't even recall when was the last time I disliked a video, let alone for such a harmless reason.

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Why waste the money? I think the previous looks better anyway. I don't want a teenage looking Peter Parker #BringOldFaceBack

tmac456

May 27, 2020
They would've been able to accomplish something like that on PS5 if they kept the original design as well. Instead they changed the entire character into some generic CW prettyboy.

You have some weird infatuation with CW or hollywood in general? New model looks "nerdy" enough and it'll look even better in motion. Kind of bizarre you see the new model as a pretty boy, but to each their own.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Article is very dramatic considering this isn't even an old classic game in any way and nobody was in love with the actor for the face before. Hell, I didn't even know it was a real face.

New model looks good, won't be an issue in a few weeks.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What an effective way of displaying you have no life. I commend gamer's commitment to providing a constant influx of second-hand embarrassment.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
I don't remember seeing anyone making a big deal over it. Most posts were along the lines of "new face looks too young/too much like Tom Holland" which is a completely reasonable milquetoast reaction. Obviously people harassing the actor on instagram are assholes, but calling era part of the problem is a weird stretch.

I don't think it's a stretch. People complained on Twitter, Youtube, ResetERA over this. How is this weird? People complaning over the most trivial stuff just like they did with the same game with puddlegate.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
6hcyzrG_d.webp

The facial animations bother me with the new face, people are right when they say the new one doesn't look as concerned at all, and a few seconds later the animations have clearly changed, with Peter no longer looking at Doc and instead focusing on his mug the whole time.

I feel bad for both the old and new character model. It's both gotta be sad to be just replaced in a game like this and for the new one to get this reception out of the gate. I'm a straight guy who doesn't really see one face as better looking than the other, it's sad to see people call an actual face ugly. But totally changing the face of a character we were all particularly invested in is just weird.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I loved my playthrough of the game, but they gave valid reasons for the change and I just don't get why people are so mental.

But I am used to it, we got bomb threats once because a driver was rated too low in NASCAR lol.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
The real reason is the old face doesn't look good in all the puddle reflections it was either change the face or downgrade the puddles again.
This is one hell of an absurd "controversy" even by gamers standards, 2020 the worlds falling down around us and we're supposed to get angry about spidermans face changing? I don't think so.

TigerKnee

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
Jesus the people whining about this shit are the entitled as fuck. I wish I can throw these people PS1's, take away their current gen machines and let them appreciate how far we've come.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not happy at all with the recast, but I'll get over it. More annoyed that they recast the original model with a fresh faced model instead of having a more careworn Peter Parker. Ultimately, I just wish this was disclosed earlier with a full-throated explanation. It probably would have gone somewhat less terribly had it been done like that.