• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played many there, disagree with others but that is an incredibly solid and diverse list. Can't argue.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not a bad list, though some weird calls here and there but I admittedly also never heard of "Blaseball" for example

The salt over Last of Us is entertaining though

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass soured me hard on Wasteland 3. I'd love to play it once the game is properly fixed. My friend and I were having a great time for coop before the client decided we don't get to play anymore.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely do not get the love for hades, it just seems like another rogue lite to me with an animal crossing style decorating side game?
There's a ton of variety that makes the tight gameplay play out very differently from run to run, and the game does a ton of interesting narrative things that tie into the game mechanics in really, really smart ways. Also the art and music in the game is fantastic. It's an all-around tremendous project. Great gameplay, great story, and tons of variety to keep the game fresh for hours and hours.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
TLOU2 being lower than Valhalla is...an utter embarrassment.
TLOU is my favorite PS3 game and I really enjoyed TLOU 2 for the most part (I think it has very clear and obvious flaws) and I'd probably agree with this order if I made a GOTY list. Valhalla is a truly excellent game.

I think my GOTY is probably CK3 -- I'm mildly obsessed. Yakuza Like A Dragon and Hades would be 2 and 3.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Feel bad for Dreams and Media Molecule.

It's one thing to not win any GOTY awards, but it's another to be completely left off all these top 10/20/50 lists. Especially with its 90 average rating.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

It's one thing to not win any GOTY awards, but it's another to be completely left off all these top 10/20/50 lists. Especially with its 90 average rating.
Seriously. What Mm made with Dreams is just astounding. It's by far the most groundbreaking game of the year. For me that puts it up there with the sheer excellence of games like TLOU2 and Hades.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it's a shame. It seems to be largely forgotten by the mainstream by now.

I wish Mm would come out with a large-scope game like Sackboy made in Dreams (and as a paid content) to get some attention back on the game.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
How can they put doom eternal at 47 is beyond me. It should be in the top ten along w orii and tlou2.

Miles morales didn't do anything for me. Its basically a spiderman dlc, certainly not better than doom or tlou2 or orii.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The two darlings of Demon's Souls & TLoU2 coming in so low is a surprise, but having said that, after watching some game play of DS I feel it's a good looking, but deeply dull experience on the whole... If I end up with a PS5 I would only try it if I could pick it up for a few quid.
Trust me, it's not the dull experience you have it pegged for. It's my first Souls game and frankly it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping to see One Step From Eden in a top 50, but then realized all major outlets didn't even bother reviewing it. Look at those steam reviews

loIfNV6.png
I don't think deckbuilding games gets much attention from outlets like ever.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

Dreams is a tricky one. Incredible achievement by Media Molecule but outside of the short Art's Dream section it's much more of a toolkit than a game and heavily relies on other people creating content. I'd probably still include it if I were making a list but I can completely understand why others haven't. That and it's official release was back in February which feels even more of a world away this time round than it does most years.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Wait...
30. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

My ladies and gents this is an outrage
A world in which 29 better games than Ori 2 released would be the undisputed greatest game release year of all time, by miles. I've accepted that it likely won't win a GOTY award from any publication, but it's a top tier game in 2020. At a minimum ... Top 10.

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry but Crusader Kings 3 is too barebones to be so far up. Maybe in 5 years after 100 dlcs - yes.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Doom Eternal at 47 and Ori WOTW at 30. Well that's certainly an opinion. It's wrong, but it is an opinion
Ori 2 is of course insanely beautiful.. but I think it's a step back from Ori 1 in terms of enjoyability. I don't make lists like this so I don't know where I'd put it in my own... but it would certainly be in that 25-30 range I think.

For those that have played Bugsnax did you enjoy it? I still have no idea what this game really is after watching 2 reviews and haven't heard many ppl talk about the game.
Hmm.. I wouldn't say that Bugsnax is a particularly good game if I'm being honest. It's absolutely a 7 at best. But there are some nice puzzle elements here and there and some pretty funny/weird characters. Surprisingly I felt like it was too long as far as the story goes -- it feels very repetitive as you progress and there is a TON of trapsing back and forth with no quick travel option available. As a freebie via PSN, it's a great value. My wife has probably enjoyed watching me play it more than I have enjoyed playing it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Didn't Kentucky Route Zero come out years ago? I've had it in my Steam library for what feels like forever.

Edit: yup, last played July 1st 2017

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wait...
30. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

My ladies and gents this is an outrage
I'm playing through the first(?) Ori now and it's a little jank (the controls and physics are not precise enough for some of the precise and sudden challenges it throws at you) but does have a lot of charm.

Is the sequel improved in that regard? I've heard a ton of praise for it and plan to play it after I finish this one but am hoping it's improved some of the frustrating bits here.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
How good is Hades really? I did not find the gameplay or story in Bastion compelling, and I regret buying/playing it. So I'm nervous about picking up Hades. I wish there was a demo
Bastion came out so long ago that I don't fully remember.. but wasn't it like $10-15 at release? It feels weird to regret paying so little after nearly 10 years, lol. I liked it a lot back in the day but honestly remember so little about it as I have a terrible memory. Hades is very good -- Supergiant has done a nice job at growing and evolving over time. The rogue-like aspect of Hades can be off-putting (it is a genre I don't care for at all personally) but they handle it extremely well in terms of not making your time feel wasted. It's fun to discuss strategies around builds with other people and the story is top-notch. Definitely do not put off playing it due to buyer's remorse of a 10 year old game.

I'm playing through the first(?) Ori now and it's a little jank (the controls and physics are not precise enough for some of the precise and sudden challenges it throws at you) but does have a lot of charm.

Is the sequel improved in that regard? I've heard a ton of praise for it and plan to play it after I finish this one but am hoping it's improved some of the frustrating bits here.
I don't think Ori 2 improved over Ori 1 much. It's still got moments of sheer, infuriating madness although they did add some limited save states in the bosses (there are multi-tiered encounters instead of just escaping). Graphically.. outstanding, but the original is gorgeous too so I find it hard to see a clear jump forward in that regard. I would classify it as more of the same. Definitely worth playing if you get through the first as it continues the story, but not really a leap forward in really any respect at all to me.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Shoots it down? That's a weird take and you're probably the minority on that one.
Personally it's my GOTY and I'm far from alone in that opinion. It's one of the highest rated games of 2020 so it shouldn't be too shocking.
I would honestly like to know your thoughts on FF7 remake; there are times when I play a well acclaimed game and I come away confused why there is praise. I am in no way trying to discourage people from enjoying whatever game they enjoy. In fact, I would love be able to take more away from my gaming experiences.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
GOTY lists are good when they give me good games to play next year. Y'all are too salty.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Regarding DOOM Eternal, I don't have any cognitive dissonance thinking it is a better game than DOOM 2016, but that DOOM 2016 was a more impactful game the year it came out and deserved end of the year recognition that DOOM Eternal does not.

May 17, 2019
Can you tell me the best way to enjoy it? I've played up through the middle of Act 3, and I find it really hard to stay engaged

I don't know if this sounds pretentious, but despite loving KRZ, I never really "enjoyed" it. It's more like a modernist novel that's meant to be studied for meaning and structure, rather than consumed for pleasure. Don't get me wrong, there are some hilarious moments, but it really isn't for everyone. Still, it is easily my favorite game of the year, as well as the best written game of the year. My advice is to take it slowly, let it sink in, and look at the structure of content. There are so few games that delivered the same experience of reading high-lit for me.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this sounds pretentious, but despite loving KRZ, I never really "enjoyed" it. It's more like a modernist novel that's meant to be studied for meaning and structure, rather than consumed for pleasure. Don't get me wrong, there are some hilarious moments, but it really isn't for everyone. Still, it is easily my favorite game of the year, as well as the best written game of the year. My advice is to take it slowly, let it sink in, and look at the structure of content. There are so few games that delivered the same experience of reading high-lit for me.
Very interesting take. Thanks for sharing!

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm playing through Ori right now, and while I like it I'm pretty okay with where Polygon put it. I was honestly a little surprised to hear people speak so effusively about it.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Did you miss the part where Wasteland 3 didn't even make the list.

Pitchfork time.

WAT I thought I saw W3 on there dude I'm flabbergasted at this lack of refined taste.

A world in which 29 better games than Ori 2 released would be the undisputed greatest game release year of all time, by miles. I've accepted that it likely won't win a GOTY award from any publication, but it's a top tier game in 2020. At a minimum ... Top 10.

Its a top 3 absolutely.
For me its:

1) TLOU2
2) Ori
3) Wastelands 3

I'm playing through Ori right now, and while I like it I'm pretty okay with where Polygon put it. I was honestly a little surprised to hear people speak so effusively about it.

You think its not warranted?
Its the best game of its kind since SOTN to me and has some of the best gameplay mechanics of any game ever.

Yes the sequel is incredibly tight. Its got a bit of floatiness so you can bail out when you need to but its dialed to perfection

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
WAT I thought I saw W3 on there dude I'm flabbergasted at this lack of refined taste.

Its a top 3 absolutely.
For me its:

1) TLOU2
2) Ori
3) Wastelands 3

You think its not warranted?
Its the best game of its kind since SOTN to me and has some of the best gameplay mechanics of any game ever.

Yes the sequel is incredibly tight. Its got a bit of floatiness so you can bail out when you need to but its dialed to perfection
You should check out Hollow Knight, if by some feat you've managed to avoid it thus far. Ori 2 incorporated a lot of Hollow Knight elements compared to Ori 1. Hollow Knight is a 10/10 the best Metroidvania ever made and one of the best games of all time period.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
You should check out Hollow Knight, if by some feat you've managed to avoid it thus far. Ori 2 incorporated a lot of Hollow Knight elements compared to Ori 1. Hollow Knight is a 10/10 the best Metroidvania ever made and one of the best games of all time period.

Ha don't hate me but I liked Hollow Night but didn't love it. I thought the atmosphere was top notch and music great but I didn't like the lore of it or the art and the map drove me nuts. I did enjoy the combat though but I think Ori for me is superior in every way

Oct 27, 2017
Crash 4 was the major absence I noticed
It's about Time someone noticed
Yes, other than that it's a pretty good list IMO.
No Sackboy or Crash?
You know, I usually don't pay much mind to the various gaming outlets' end of the year lists (I have nothing against them btw), BUT it kind of stings not seeing Crash 4 on any of them, let alone one with 50 games lol.
My boy's great comeback performance is getting slept on T.T

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
23. Demons Souls Remake
22. Star Wars: Squadrons

...Come now..

No the hell it's not. Absolutely not. Not even remotely the best ever made. Lolol. Y'all always take it overboard with these claims.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
TLOU Part II on #19... Well Polygon, as Kevin Magnussen once said to Nico Hulkenberg 'suck my balls'.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Rogue meets visual novel with decorating thrown on the side. The presentation and polish in the game is so wonderful. I fall off rogue games rather fast but the amount of entertainment I get out of this game is rare.
You have perfectly explained to me why I don't like this game. It just so happens to be my three most uninterested genres put together haha.