• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who started in the closed beta in January 2019, and the fact there was only two months between that and early access, I always forget that it was technically a 2020 release. It was a top 10 for me last year, and it still is this year, possibly even more so with the story and VR modes.

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Tell me about it lol. I'm glad most don't take that site seriously. Hades is a good game though but number 1? Doubt it very much. End of the day I suppose it's all subjective so it's all good.
1093.jpg

I swear, Y'all Last of Us Fans can't understand that not everyone worships at the Shrine of Naughty Dog. Hades is worthy of number 1 just as much, if not more then TLoU Part 2. It's not a matter of "under-rating" TLoU, it's that Naughty Dog created a subversive work and in the act of doing so alienated some people, a very vocal portion of which are Alt-Right windbags who drown out any thoughtful criticism.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I'd rate TloU2 much higher and after playing valhalla for over a hundred hours I would not put it up there but whatever. Think I'll check out blaseball.

Two things. I'm glad Valhalla is ranked. It is grand in nature and for those of us that love the franchise, it quite possibly is the greatest Assassin's Creed of them all.

For those lamenting TLOU2 and its place. I'm sure it's a great game, the first one is amazing. However, as I look at those games listed before TLOU2, there is more 'game to enjoy' to those games than TLOU2 is, I presume, if it is going to just be a grander version of the first one. What I mean is that Naughty Dog makes tightly scripted stories and dialogue with beautifully detailed characters and worlds and they do that better than mostly everyone but the actual gameplay is usually boilerplate average. That has to count for something. I'm not saying Polygon is rating games according to that, but that is how I'd look at it.

If we're talking about things that are boilerplate we should really discuss the content of your post because it's a copy paste of the same unsupported sentiment that's been posted ad nauseum since day one of the first game.
Multiplayer in The Last of Us didn't draw the positive impressions it got on the back of it's story and part 2 is an even better 'game' than the first. This 'bad gameplay' drivel is a tired narrative that doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh. I'm not too much of a reader. Not sure I'd appreciate this one. Hmm..

Think I'll wait for a sale. I do want to try it at least given all the praise it's gotten.

I think it's still extremely enjoyable if you're not a reader, but it's does have a lot of literary references, character names, places, and plays with narrative structure that is typically examined in plays and novels but rarely video games. It's astonishingly good, and you won't be lost to its meaning if you don't recognize the references. You will be reading a lot as it's more of a visual novel to poke around in, but it's probably the best visual novel wrapped in a point-and-click aesthetic created to date.

Jun 6, 2020
I don't mind Hades as #1 but they are criminally underrating TLoU2, Doom Eternal, Ori, and Half Life: Alyx here. Seems like it's on purpose to just be edgy.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to buy Hades. That should be my next game after I finish Ghost of Tsushima.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get more into Hades. I dislike rouge lites but Hades does have its charms so far. I wouldn't make it #1.

I'm also happy to see 13 Sentinels. My inner trash is pleased.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
This reads like a joke list. What, Doom Eternal barely made the Top 50? Among Us is almost ten spots higher than TLOU II?

Really??

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Guess I'll be playing a few of these games late next year. Pretty much every purchase I make is on sale. I'm only now playing Death Stranding...

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Decent list - happy to see Flight Sim get some respect.

Only major omission I see is Wasteland 3, which is a travesty for a TOP 50 list from this year.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Tell me about it lol. I'm glad most don't take that site seriously. Hades is a good game though but number 1? Doubt it very much. End of the day I suppose it's all subjective so it's all good.

Naughty Dog stans are becoming very obnoxious. And I'm saying that as someone who thinks TLOU2 was great.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite game of the year and generation is FFVIIR and i know that is not going win every game of the year and that is fine. Opinions are subjective, not everyone are going to love TLOU2 just like as you

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Hades as #1 but they are criminally underrating TLoU2, Doom Eternal, Ori, and Half Life: Alyx here. Seems like it's on purpose to just be edgy.
  • Stating the obvious: Public-facing crunch of TLoU2 cost a higher spot on the list.
  • Ori was beautiful, but not exactly the most unique experience. #30 isn't a bad spot on this very crowded list.
  • Half Life: Alyx was a fun diversion, but not exactly as meaty as a lot of other games on this list. I think #7 is being really fair.
  • Judging by most folks' reaction to the Marauder and iffy platforming segments, I'm pretty sure that Doom Eternal is lucky to show up on any GOTY list. :/

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly questioning if I want to vote in a top 10 games topic this year (excuse me if I've missed any announcements about that). I just feel like the hostility about these lists is way higher than past years.
I'm hoping folks will keep that civil though

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 remake part II has so much potential that it's insane. I'm so glad the battle system is what it is. They can just tweak and make QOL improvements.

My only question going forward is how much prior gen is going to hold things back because I want it to be a game that they go all out for...

On the other hand, maybe they would still be able to still make a stunning, ambitious game, but next gen version just plays at 60FPS at 4K and fast loading... which would be enough for me. They would just need to make sure that texture streaming is fixed.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
It's not often I agree with lists but, god damn, this hits all the notes of 2020. This was a very diverse year for games, also a very PC centric list.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Other than the misfortune of Yakuza 7 being far in the back of the line and Crash 4 missing completely, it's a decent list of games.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
If I had more interest and energy, I'd cross-reference this thread with the Game Awards thread to see the Venn diagram overlap between anyone posting salt gifs in that thread with being salty in this thread.

I think it's in an interesting list if nothing else. I don't agree with all the choices, but I'm pretty satisfied with the Top 10, even despite not having tried Hades yet.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Nice top 10, but Ghost is way too low. I like Astro's Playroom as much as anyone, but no way should it be that high. Not sure how Fenyx Rising isn't on that list either.

Nov 21, 2017
How good is Hades really? I did not find the gameplay or story in Bastion compelling, and I regret buying/playing it. So I'm nervous about picking up Hades. I wish there was a demo

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Top ten is good. Anyone scrupling over the exact placement of the other forty games has already spent more time thinking about it than the Polygon staff.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's great to see games like Murder By Numbers get some love, but Yakuza Like A Dragon is far too low.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
How good is Hades really? I did not find the gameplay or story in Bastion compelling, and I regret buying/playing it. So I'm nervous about picking up Hades. I wish there was a demo
I liked Bastion, didn't really like Transistor, and Hades is by far my game of the year.

I've played tons of roguelikes and Dead Cells was one of my top games of 2018, Hades is the first to top Dead Cells IMO.

It plays incredibly well. 6 totally unique weapons which play very differently, tons of modifiers which make each of the six play even more differently, and all of them are super viable and have tons of fun synergies to discover along the way.

And the story, writing, and voice acting are just as top notch as the combat design, and just as varied too.

I'm 50+ hours in and have seen credits and still can't stop playing it. And I'm still hearing new dialog and getting new story bits along the way.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Lol ridiculous list with TLOU II so low and behind even Valhalla, and Ghost at #31. Joke list

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I get not thinking TLOU2 is game of the year material, I GET IT.

But 19?
LMAO

might as well put it 30

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
i'll give you some reasons (i like these games for the most part)

TLoU2 is a very heavy experience that may not translate to a good time, depending on how invested you are in the story (I also find the shooting to be clunky and not that great)
Doom Eternal can be unwelcoming for some even on normal (there was a thread about it recently)
Half Life Alyx has the barrier to entry with VR

and I can't speak on Ori lol

some of you need to chill out about these lists. i think most of the discussion in the thread is fine, but to say that this list is "objectively" bad is borderline gaming gatekeeping