• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I am just here to watch the thread burn.

Also this top 100 is terrible but it's polygon, idk what else you could expect.

Oct 26, 2017
There was a huge wave of roguelite games after Binding of Isaac and Spelunky. Before them, not so much. I don't think other game creators need to cite it as an influence for us to see that.

Pokemon Go and PT are probably less directly influential than anything else here (ignoring KRZ), but Pokemon Go was a huge happening around release. For one-two months almost everyone was outside playing it. PT I think would not be on this list if Silent Hills was not canceled and PT removed from being able to be downloaded.

I'm not against Zelda being in the top 10 and I can't really come up with a better example. It is young but the buzz was enormous, as you say. In that matter maybe it's closer to say Pokemon Go, even if Pokemon Go had more of a buzz and Zelda is the better game.
I'd argue that that has more to do with them being among the first rogue like games when indie games were starting to break out than anything else. I wouldn't say that they themselves were necessarily influential

It was huge but not exactly influential. Even less for PT

Perhaps, albeit I'd say it'll have much more influence in the coming years than something like Pokemon Go ever did. I only really responded because you considered it out of place when there's plenty of reasons for why it belongs in there and with there being much more unconventional picks in the Top 10

Deleted member 889

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I like the #1 pick. Good to see Kentucky Route Zero on the list. I agree with P.T. being an odd inclusion

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The only me is me. I'm not sure the only you is you, so P.T. must be a video game.

I still have P.T. because I love it and revisit it every now and then. Maybe I wouldn't if Silent Hills existed, but it doesn't. It's not something I ever want to lose the ability to replay. If I can't transfer it to PS5, (as I was able to transfer it to the PS4 Pro) then I'll keep my Pro forever.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue that that has more to do with them being among the first rogue like games when indie games were starting to break out than anything else. I wouldn't say that they themselves were necessarily influential

It was huge but not exactly influential. Even less for PT

Perhaps, albeit I'd say it'll have much more influence in the coming years than something like Pokemon Go ever did. I only really responded because you considered it out of place when there's plenty of reasons for why it belongs in there and with there being much more unconventional picks in the Top 10
Perhaps. Hard to tell either way.

Yeah looking back I don't think Zelda is out of place after all. Just KRZ then.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I don't know if P.T. deserves to be in the top ten but I certainly think it belongs on that list. The game was never even finished and yet we're still talking about it several years after its release.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
If No Man's Sky was never released as a full game, it would probably be ahead of P.T..

And talking about unfinished game being influential, how is Star Citizen not on the list?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ERA should do top of the decade list.

But I would love it if everyone had a week or so to rank their top 20 picks and all that data was put into a some kind of sort that would that would weigh it based on how many people put it at what spot.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Interestingly, Polygon have gone a different route in compiling their best films of the decade with individual top 10s rather than a top hundred or so.

As much as I don't mind their gaming list, I think I would have preferred this approach instead.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I tried to get into KRZ but it seems it was just weird to be weird. Did they ever finish the game? Maybe I'll give it another go.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I do not have any arguments besides the literal definition of a video game, no

One could argue that the definition of a video game includes the part where it's a "game", meaning its primary purpose is structured play. P.T.'s primary purpose was to advertise an upcoming (canceled) game. Basically it was a gamified ad - even the name stands for "Playable Teaser". This is why I likened it to a trailer, not a short movie like doodlewhizz suggested. Short movie is intended to be a self-contained product, trailer is a reference to the real product. Same with P.T.

Of course, you could also argue it's a game based on its format and presentation, and both viewpoints have some merit.

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
One could argue that the definition of a video game includes the part where it's a "game", meaning its primary purpose is structured play. P.T.'s primary purpose was to advertise an upcoming (canceled) game. Basically it was a gamified ad - even the name stands for "Playable Teaser". This is why I likened it to a trailer, not a short movie like doodlewhizz suggested. Short movie is intended to be a self-contained product, trailer is a reference to the real product. Same with P.T.

Of course, you could also argue it's a game based on its format and presentation, and both viewpoints have some merit.
Yep. P.T. was a great advertisment, and that's the problem here, it was a vehicle to hype an upcoming game centered around people involved in its creation, it was never intended to be an actual game, it's not even a demo.

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking '10 - '19. yeah? My #1 is Fallout: New Vegas. My list would look drastically different, tbh. It'd have a top five like this off the top of my head:

1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
4. Civilization V: Brave New World
5. Sonic Generations

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking '10 - '19. yeah? My #1 is Fallout: New Vegas. My list would look drastically different, tbh. It'd have a top five like this off the top of my head:

2. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Sonic Generations
See I'm not into this list either but at least it expresses something about you personally instead of just being a list of the viral games.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

2. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Sonic Generations

Any given person's list of favorite games is going to look drastically different than one voted on by a committee.

If just you and I made a list I it would not have Sonic Generations, which I thought was alright, or Capt. Toad, which I did enjoy but calling it the third best game in the entire past decade is laughable. Imagine adding ten other people to the mix!

I appreciate the mobile games on the list. I didn't think Florence was notable (it's art is nice enough but the story is nothing special) but the others they highlighted are great. I love Universal Paperclips and I never see anyone talking about it, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that make the list.

Definitely some odd inclusions. I'm whatever on PT. Yeah, it's a little weird to have a demo on a list like this, but it WAS great. The seemingly random mediocre games like Shadow of Mordor are puzzling. Really weird Mario choice too. Galaxy 2 are Odyssey are masterpieces. Mario U is your only choice if you prefer 2D Mario. I liked 3D World but I'd only consider it for a list like this on the basis of its multiplayer, and I'd put another of the games on the list as well.

Oct 26, 2017

2. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Sonic Generations
How do you guys even determine stuff like that? At most, I can give my Top 2 or something but anything after that is a toss up and depends on how I feel that day

Oct 25, 2017
Any given person's list of favorite games is going to look drastically different than one voted on by a committee.

If just you and I made a list I it would not have Sonic Generations, which I thought was alright, or Capt. Toad, which I did enjoy but calling it the third best game in the entire past decade is laughable. Imagine adding ten other people to the mix!

I appreciate the mobile games on the list. I didn't think Florence was notable (it's art is nice enough but the story is nothing special) but the others they highlighted are great. I love Universal Paperclips and I never see anyone talking about it, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that make the list.

Definitely some odd inclusions. I'm whatever on PT. Yeah, it's a little weird to have a demo on a list like this, but it WAS great. The seemingly random mediocre games like Shadow of Mordor are puzzling. Really weird Mario choice too. Galaxy 2 are Odyssey are masterpieces. Mario U is your only choice if you prefer 2D Mario. I liked 3D World but I'd only consider it for a list like this on the basis of its multiplayer, and I'd put another of the games on the list as well.

Sure, I agree, which I think ultimately is why I'd say that I prefer individual lists rather than committee lists. I think that's what the other poster was getting at, too.

Take NSMBU, which I know got on there so high in part because of Jeremy Parish, who put it at #1 Mario game ever made on his own list. I thought that was insane and still do, but man, I loved that list because it was individual (and came with a lot of commentary to explain each pick).

I just don't see as much value in these lists by committee. I prefer to hear what individuals think (and why).

Also, don't make me write an essay on why Captain Toad is one of the five best games that Nintendo has ever, yes, I said it, EVER made because I will!

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, I agree, which I think ultimately is why I'd say that I prefer individual lists rather than committee lists. I think that's what the other poster was getting at, too.

Take NSMBU, which I know got on there so high in part because of Jeremy Parish, who put it at #1 Mario game ever made on his own list. I thought that was insane and still do, but man, I loved that list because it was individual (and came with a lot of commentary to explain each pick).

I just don't see as much value in these lists by committee. I prefer to hear what individuals think (and why).

Also, don't make me write an essay on why Captain Toad is one of the five best games that Nintendo has ever, yes, I said it, EVER made because I will!

I'd definitely read it! Capt. Toad is fun but it's also very simple. There's some clever stuff going on but I didn't find it impressive personally.

I'm split on which type of list I prefer. Really I think lists like this are generally uninteresting. Personal lists can be cool because they give you an insight into someone's personality and preferences, but they can also be boring if only a handful of genres are represented. If someone publishes a top 10 that has only shooters and RPGs there's not much insight to be gained outside of "Oh, this person really like shooters and RPGs."

The strength of committee lists is that they are more likely to contain significant games in a variety of genres and are a more holistic like of the medium's accomplishments. But if you're into games (like most people on this site) the top games are going to be predictable.

Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys even determine stuff like that? At most, I can give my Top 2 or something but anything after that is a toss up and depends on how I feel that day

Honestly, I think about this stuff all the time. I can also chart my favorite book from when I learned to read (The Cat in the Hat) through my early years (How to Eat Fried Worms --> The Not-Just-Anybody Family) all the way up to now (Hit and Run). I like ordering, I guess.

I'd definitely read it! Capt. Toad is fun but it's also very simple. There's some clever stuff going on but I didn't find it impressive personally.

I'm split on which type of list I prefer. Really I think lists like this are generally uninteresting. Personal lists can be cool because they give you an insight into someone's personality and preferences, but they can also be boring if only a handful of genres are represented. If someone publishes a top 10 that has only shooters and RPGs there's not much insight to be gained outside of "Oh, this person really like shooters and RPGs."

The strength of committee lists is that they are more likely to contain significant games in a variety of genres and are a more holistic like of the medium's accomplishments. But if you're into games (like most people on this site) the top games are going to be predictable.

Sure, the individual list basically lives or dies on the basis of the reviewers, but Polygon has some folks with eclectic tastes and interesting takes (like Parish), so I think they would be better served trying to pull off a series of individual lists as opposed to doing the consensus-by-committee thing.

Then again, I enjoy reading people's longer takes on games in the GotY threads here, so probably I'm just inclined to individual takes.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think BOTW is the best game, followed closely by Dark Souls. That said, I'm perfectly fine with Minecraft at number one, though Roblox for the same reason should gain consideration at that spot.

PT is also not a game. It's also dumb to put on this list, let alone at #7.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
Spelunky is great. Can't argue with that.

I want to give Kentucky Route Zero a try at some point, but I keep telling myself I need to wait until the whole thing is out.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I think about this stuff all the time. I can also chart my favorite book from when I learned to read (The Cat in the Hat) through my early years (How to Eat Fried Worms --> The Not-Just-Anybody Family) all the way up to now (Hit and Run). I like ordering, I guess.
Well damn, I can't even imagine trying to order all of the games I've played or books I've read. I just have a general idea of where they'd rank and just go with that. Do you keep track of all of them in like a document or something?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Looked at it today, and it's an interesting list.

But when you deal with a list that large I think whomever is doing the voting honestly doesn't care which game is 32 or 46, or whatever. Top 20 is likely wherepeople get serious on placement.