• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather pay one time for a game and know I always have that disc in my house than staple my credit card to some parasite of a corporation and lose access to it when I don't want to put up with it anymore or if I need to cut costs and cancel the subscription.

If I can get something on sale, awesome, but subscription models are the damn worst.

So you're going to cut costs by cancelling the $10 subscription and just go back to spending $60 per game? That does not make financial sense.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
if anything they need to up the price to $65 or $70 to match inflation. we expect all kinds of shit from developers but wanna bitch and moan when the price goes up. probably because most gamers are broke children that do not understand what it means to have a career and families to take care of.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's one of the reasons I love Game Pass. There's games that I know will leave the service at some point, but I can play them on the service for now and then just pick them up on sale later own to "own" it (whatever that means these days.)

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I don't like the idea of not owning the games I pay for.
Subscription models like Xbox Game Pass are cool for trying out new things, but I usually already know what I wanna play and I don't wanna pay for something, lose it, and then years down the line think "I wanna play this again". I remember when I was younger I used to replay my copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban every now and then. I still revist my copy of Solatorobo and FFXII from time to time too.

Not that I havent made dumb purchases before. I bought FFXV full price when it came out on PC and I've still only put 5 hours into it x.x

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Season pass is $40 I believe

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Clicking into the thread I was think the author would be talking how microtransactions are dominant so that full game price doesn't guarantee complete product...

Yeah butta anyway that's what I have been doing.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
3 years ago I would have laughed at this article. Not today though.

Gears 5 is the prime case for it, I'm subscribed and have out well over 30 hours into the game so far. Granted the service needs to keep me entertained with other titles too, but it's working. Why on earth would I pay £60 for a game when I can simply subscribe and save, realistically how long will I truly play these games? I always ask myself that.

Still, there are always titles I want to own, there's always a case for the ownership imo.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Buying games at full price barely puts a dent in my budget and I like getting involved/reading community shit around release. I value that stuff more than the $10-20 I'll save by waiting a little bit. Game pass is an exception and I'll be getting that when it has something I'm really interested in.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Don't take none of these articles seriously, when was the last time these writers at these sites paid for a game.

Tired of them claiming what is worth full price and what isn't, they are far removed from spending habits of gamers.
Do you think writers don't play games or that they get them all for free?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It doesn't make sense if the choice exists which is the case for Xbox exclusives.

But if there isn't a choice and you really want to play the game on release, people will still pay $60 for them.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh... This just sounds like an author that doesn't want to do any research before posting clickbait. These subscription-based services have been around since PS+ on the PS3 9 years ago. That's more than enough time to figure out whether or not this payment model works. Everybody's doubling down on it, so it's safe to assume it's successful.

Are they? I don't think we've seen that with new games as of yet in a substantial way. We've seen online services hold that value and back catalogue subscriptions see some popularity though no one seems to go all in on that. On the other hand sub games have been adding F2P modes or going full F2P in the wake of not being able to secure the same steady monetary commetment they once did. I think we do need to look to the future on this one as we can't just equate any and all subscription services.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if anything they need to up the price to $65 or $70 to match inflation. we expect all kinds of shit from developers but wanna bitch and moan when the price goes up. probably because most gamers are broke children that do not understand what it means to have a career and families to take care of.
Good thing you read past the thread title.

Buying games at full price barely puts a dent in my budget and I like getting involved/reading community shit around release. I value that stuff more than the $10-20 I'll save by waiting a little bit. Game pass is an exception and I'll be getting that when it has something I'm really interested in.
Yuuup

We've had loads of threads about this topic, and it tends to come down to the same thing people say when they justify watching movies in theaters or watching TV shows week-by-week as they air. We like to get involved in that initial hype. When else are all your friends going to be participating in this thing if not as close to release as possible?

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I love to support companies producing great games if possible. I certainly don't buy the majority of my games at full sticker price, I don't think I've bought one full price this year in fact, but I would still prefer ownership.

It's hard to justify grabbing games at launch unless they are something I can't wait for or Nintendo/Sony first party I adore.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Without fail, seemingly every new title gets knocked down 10-20 dollars within a couple of weeks now, if not more. "

Uhm, exactly what games is this person playing? This seems completely divorced from reality

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting new games for $48 at launch for quite a while now through GCU and will continue to get them for $50 through Walmart, so I don't think that some games potentially dropping $10-20 a month from release date is that big a deal.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So you're going to cut costs by cancelling the $10 subscription and just go back to spending $60 per game? That does not make financial sense.

I generally don't buy games very often. I would rather pay full price for an actual product that I only need to pay for once, and ensure that I'm supporting the developers who actually bother to make games I might actually care about, than spend a slightly smaller amount of money for access to some stupid-ass digital subscription that benefits those developers significantly less.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
If you buy physical, you can just trade the game in a week later and lose barely any money, and sometimes in the UK at least, even make a profit. Only with digital purchases is getting "burned" really an issue.

The developer would be better off getting money from Game Pass than having you sell your second hand game to the store where they make 0 off the person who buys it used.

I generally don't buy games very often. I would rather pay full price for an actual product that I only need to pay for once, and ensure that I'm supporting the developers who actually bother to make games I might actually care about, than spend a slightly smaller amount of money for access to some stupid-ass digital subscription that benefits those developers significantly less.

You're supporting developers by playing their games on Game Pass too. They do get paid for having their game on their. No one is forcing them to put their games on the service, they are obviously benefiting from it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just pay what a game is worth. Smash Bros Ultimate is worth $100, Link's Awakening is worth $40. One of those I can currently get my value for.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want more games from the developers that create my favourite games so i'm buying them day 1. They made a good product so they should get their money in full. I can understand not having enough cash to do so but as long as i'm able to i will.

Sometimes i even double dip if i really want to support some studios. Or i gift the game to some of my friends.

Also i buy most games digitally so no resale from me after i'm done.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That might apply to Microsoft/Xbox games, but if I want to play those Sony and Nintendo exclusives, and that's the majority of games I play, I will still have to pay 60 bucks, and I gladly pay that money, because I know I will get high quality in return, and I know I won't be tricked or urged to spend money on microstransactions.
That future for all companies and games is not a good future and I have no idea why people are advocating it.

Last edited:

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
So what the fuck is gonna happen to the industry when no one buys $60 dollar games anymore?
It is going to have to compensate with even more microtransactions and loot boxes! I mean surprise mechanics...

Makes me think back to what Square Enix used to say all the time. Triple A's are too expensive to make.

Day 1 buyers are the backbone of the gaming industry. Whales are the glue!

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't like the idea of not owning the games I pay for.
Subscription models like Xbox Game Pass are cool for trying out new things, but I usually already know what I wanna play and I don't wanna pay for something, lose it, and then years down the line think "I wanna play this again". I remember when I was younger I used to replay my copy of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban every now and then. I still revist my copy of Solatorobo and FFXII from time to time too.
So buy it digitally I'm pretty sure there is a gamepass discount.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a foolish choice to payl full price for a game.

Everything is not about getting the most amount of game hours for each dollar spent.

Getting what you want, when you want and how you want it, are all three important factors in a products price.

The future the author is describing is one where we devaluate games, and devote less attention to each title. Many of us would rather commit more to a title, for us to be able to keep our interest in the medium.

I can very well use a subscription service as a complement to my regular purchases, but all titles on that service will inherently feel more disposable then other titles that you actually buy.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Unless it's Nintendo or a CE I want I don't spend $60 on a game. I don't even think single player games are worth $60 unless it's an RPG that encourages multiple play throughs. Uncharted? God of War? Gears 5? Quantum Break? I love them all. I'll never play them again. So hype aside I regret spending $60 on all but gears 5 since I've put 60 hours into MP already on its own.

Nintendo is the only company that doesn't devalue their games. Spider-Man should've been $60 well into 2019 instead shit was $40 by Christmas.

Also you don't own anything. Every game you have even on disc is literally a patch away from you never playing it again.

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the purchase of a $60 game and less expensive monthly game subscription are really comparable. The latter is more of the long game where they bank on a consistent and reliable revenue stream; some users may sign up and not even play enough to gain value from the subscription price but it's still money that will be pocketed by Microsoft (or any other subscription service, really).

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That might apply to Microsoft/Xbox games, but if I want to play those Sony and Nintendo exclusives, and that's the majority of games I play, I will still have to pay 60 bucks, and I gladly pay that money, because I know I will get high quality in return, and I know I won't be tricked or urged to spend money on microstransactions.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
Digital prices are still the thing that gets me when they're more than a physical copy.

I rarely buy games Day 1 except for a few choice nintendo titles like Zelda, Mario Maker 2 etc because I know I'm not likely to see them drop in a couple of weeks by much. PS4 games I tend now to hold off for a couple of months now not because of cost per se but with so many games launching and needing patches for performance it's honestly worth the wait for me now.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
So buy it digitally I'm pretty sure there is a gamepass discount.
Is it weird if I said I'm uneasy about using subscription services? Plus I just feel like if I pay for a subscription service and then buy a game rather than buying directly I'm wasting money. Most of the games I buy I like and want to keep, so its like...why bother with the hassle of a subscription service?
I also just like collecting games aha. It kinda hurts in a way that physical PC releases aren't a thing.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Thats pretty much my reasoning. I'll play Gears 5 now for a dollar and rebuy it later for 10 if I still want to play. This only applies to xbox exclusive games though.

The $1 deal is a one time offer, no? If you want the play Xbox exclusives in future through GP, won't you have to pay $9.99?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I would rather pay one time for a game and know I always have that disc in my house than staple my credit card to some parasite of a corporation and lose access to it when I don't want to put up with it anymore or if I need to cut costs and cancel the subscription.

If I can get something on sale, awesome, but subscription models are the damn worst.
Sums up my thoughts. On top of that we already see the splintering of services with launchers and netflix/hulu/Disney+/HBOGo etc. I mentioned in the other thread services like Adobe and the like who went sub/cloud based all turned to overpriced shit after a while too.

Having that model for people who want to pay 3 bucks for EA access one week, 1 dollar for the gamepass trial the next, etc is great for the people who don't want to spend, but I don't see myself enjoying where gaming goes after that, which will have to make back those profits somehow.

It's crazy to me that the dialogue has shifted from "Games didn't adjust with inflation and have to have MTX to make their money back" to "Guys we should all just sub to publishers and give them even more power, what could go wrong, it's getting a game like Gears for 3 dollars which is way better than actually paying a set value for things, lol to all those people paying full price"

I just wish it wasn't so transparent that people are just at a race to the cheapest option for themselves and still expect quality to come from that.

It's not a foolish choice to payl full price for a game.

Everything is not about getting the most amount of game hours for each dollar spent.

Getting what you want, when you want and how you want it, are all three important factors in a products price.

The future the author is describing is one where we devaluate games, and devote less attention to each title. Many of us would rather commit more to a title, for us to be able to keep our interest in the medium.

I can very well use a subscription service as a complement to my regular purchases, but all titles on that service will inherently feel more disposable then other titles that you actually buy.
And being informed on what you buy. FOMO is a bitch in the social media age and I see several people making reckless expenditures on things because they didn't do proper research or look into a product before buying it and then regreting it later, or letting it sit past its return window because they think "it will click eventually."

Am I the only one in here to think we'll pay a flat monthly rate for unlimited gaming before long? Let's say 3-5 years?
I don't really see this happening. Licensing issues and compatibility issues and stuff are a problem as is, with many game companies not even still having access to their old games and stuff and gaming preservation already for the most part being in the shitter. You may pay for the "most recent games" but your library will continue to shrink, much like Netflix's.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not every game on Game Pass has microtransactions. The Outer Worlds is on it day 1 and it's a single player RPG-ass RPG. Outer Wilds launched on it and is a unique story-driven game with no microtransactions. Wasteland 3 is coming next year and is a CRPG that I highly doubt will ask the player to buy skins or will be anything but what it looks like on the tin. Game Pass doesn't work if it only caters to a single type of game, they've said they want a mix of games. That'll include GaaS games, but it'll also mean single player games where you're not going to be urged to spend money on microtransactions.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Depends on who you consider "we", some of my favorite games have been made by really small studios and cost 15-20 bucks.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
The issue I have at the moment is not having the time to actually play all the games I want to play. Services like Gamepass and EApass aren't going to help me clear my backlog. The same with filling my boots with £50/£60 day one releases every month.

I don't buy many games day one anymore because there's no point paying full price only for the game to sit on a shelf/hard drive for a few months until I get time to play it.

I use this example to remind myself of the bargains you can get by waiting a few months to buy -

I bought Gears 4 brand new in January 2017 for £25. It was so cheap that I also picked up the Crimson Omen controller and got £10 off that too. £75 for them both.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, i checked it out on PSN. Nothing new since Borderlands 2 but still is too much money, i wanted to play a lot the game but i think i'll wait.
I ended up getting super deluxe for $80, worth it to play with my friends at launch and save 20% on it but yeah there will def be a GOTY edition a yr or 2 down the line if you can wait

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ownership means nothing with only one console currently offering BC without repurchasing said games. Agree with the sentiment, if its coming out on gamepass I'm not going to drop 60 dollars on it because it makes no sense.