• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the console market is big enough to support a subscription model like a Netflix for games. The AAA budgets are huge and publsihers need to make returns on investment. I mean you would need a huge number of subscribers for such a model to work. We're not there yet. I would gladly pay 10 per month for access to all games though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ownership is overrated. How often are you going back and replaying games you own? Maybe some select favorites, but I've been gaming for over two decades now and I don't give a fuck about owning most games, I just want to play them.

Just because one doesn't go back and replay MOST of their games doesn't mean they should sacrifice the ability to go back and replay ALL of them.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This article seems like it was written by someone who hasn't thought this all the way through.

Also, WOW at saying people buying on launch day are making "foolish decisions".

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I've definitely moved a bit towards this direction since building my PC. I can count on 4-5 really large sales a year on steam, and then black Friday for any console games that slipped thru the cracks. I'll still be there day 1 at full price for games I really care about, but if I'm not invested in it personally then I can wait 6 months for a $30 price drop.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Not sure if its just because I'm old but I prefer to reward the developers for their hard work by paying full price over these services which, if what I hear of music streaming is anything to go by, really shaft the developers.
I would hate to have these services take over and we get watered down games due to decreased revenue from sales.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the console market is big enough to support a subscription model like a Netflix for games. The AAA budgets are huge and publsihers need to make returns on investment. I mean you would need a huge number of subscribers for such a model to work. We're not there yet. I would gladly pay 10 per month for access to all games though.
And people forget Netflix operates at a loss. Though correct me if I'm wrong.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Game prices fall so fast nowadays that I can wait a month after release (sometimes even less) and find a used copy on sale on eBay or Amazon Market Place in near mint condition for $40.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm really gonna miss GCU when my subscription runs out in March 2020.

Kicking myself for not renewing it out until like 2030 or something crazy, but it's my luck that they'll have an eventual cutoff date or something anyway.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I also think a legitimate problem that leads to opinions like this is that games devalue so quickly now that no one wants to pay $60 anymore, you feel like you have to rush to finish it before it starts to devalue so you don't feel cheated for buying it day one. It has continued to snowball to the point that outside of certain companies that know they can get away with consistent $60 pricetags or very high-profile games, you can wait a month or two and catch a $60 game for $30-$40.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The strange thing is this seems most true for bigger budget, heavily advertised games

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's funny that the market keeps driving price expectations down, yet people like Jim Sterling trot out "make games more expensive" as a magical solution to microtransactions.

Maybe 3rd party publishers should learn to cut back on AAA & AAAA gaming, & start making games fully complete again.

Only practice I can tolerate, is DLC that happens after the games are officially released.

Oct 25, 2017
I am perfectly content to pay $60 or more for the few games a year that really interest me. I've bought two games this year. RE2 Remake and BL3. No regrets on either and I had zero interest in waiting for a sale. Death Stranding will be the last one.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Ownership is overrated. How often are you going back and replaying games you own? Maybe some select favorites, but I've been gaming for over two decades now and I don't give a fuck about owning most games, I just want to play them. I think the premise of the article undervalues games though, it's kind of a slap in the face to devs/publishers.
Yup. I'm the same. Ideally we'll have option for those that want to buy/own games, and the amazing value of subscriptions to those that only want to play.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
You know, as a consumer, I only got praise for Game Pass, is by far the best new ''thing'' to happen this gen. And we are already seeing that kind of praise for Apple Arcade too

But I heard anecdotally from some dev friends that don't have games on the service, that their sales on XB1 have been hurt dramatically since Game Pass became a thing. To them, the perception of a portion of the public seems to be exactly that, one where games are not really worth buying anymore and not only they aren't buying as many games, but they don't even go on the store as often, so discoverability is also hurt in this process.

So yeah, right now we are happy, and devs that have games on services like this are really happy too from what we hear, but there are some folks worried about it as well.

I thought it was interesting to hear that kind of perspective, especially since I've been someone who's been shouting my love for the service as much as I can. One take I heard too is that if we get more and more services like this, it could even things out a bit because there will be more platforms trying to acquire content and it will give better leverage from the devs side on making deals too, so there's people from the outside that are somewhat encouraged by the model as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So what the fuck is gonna happen to the industry when no one buys $60 dollar games anymore?

Significantly less games per publisher, and most of the games that DO survive will become long-tail "live services" with parasitic revenue stream plans and/or forced multiplayer modes with an emphasis on long-term player spending.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Polygon....

It makes perfect sense. Value is subjective at the end of the day. Why do people still go to the cinema even though they know that movie will eventually come to stream or cable? If a product, game, movie or whatever is high enough quality, people who have the money will spend to use, play or see it day one, and then those who can't afford it will simply wait.

Hell, there's $60 games I've bought this gen that I feel have been exceptional value. And we're talking about an industry where many people spend $20 on just a character skin or crap loads of money on loot boxes...

Last edited:

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
sooooo.... does the writer know that this is why MTX exists (and even SP games are putting in), right?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I have too many games, I'm floded with cheap discounts and free games. I can't even keep up anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not going to wait to play games I'm interested in to save 10-20 dollars, and I'd never use a subscription service to play the latest CDPR game, for instance. $60 isn't much.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much agree. I own hundreds of games. There's only a handful of that collection that I actually go back and play. It isn't worth the cost of ownership.

I will take hundreds of games for less than $120 a year through GamePass over the 2 new games I could buy for that same price.

So what the fuck is gonna happen to the industry when no one buys $60 dollar games anymore?

Realistically? People try more games. $60 is a large ask nowadays when we have dozens of free multiplayer games that consume hundreds of hours of gamers' time. With GamePass, it seems like gamers are trying and spending money on more games then they were before. I've seen that anecdotally within my social group, Microsoft says it, and developers on GamePass say it.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather pay one time for a game and know I always have that disc in my house than staple my credit card to some parasite of a corporation and lose access to it when I don't want to put up with it anymore or if I need to cut costs and cancel the subscription.

If I can get something on sale, awesome, but subscription models are the damn worst.
Agreed.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I mean on Xbox sure, since I have Gamepass I am never going to buy an Xbox game again, but that doesn't do anything for my PS4 and Switch and I will gladly keep paying $60 for those. Granted I am buying less games day 1 now than I ever have, but price isn't the factor backlog is.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You know, as a consumer, I only got praise for Game Pass, is by far the best new ''thing'' to happen this gen. And we are already seeing that kind of praise for Apple Arcade too

But I heard anecdotally from some dev friends that don't have games on the service, that their sales on XB1 have been hurt dramatically since Game Pass became a thing. To them, the perception of a portion of the public seems to be exactly that, one where games are not really worth buying anymore and not only they aren't buying as many games, but they don't even go on the store as often, so discoverability is also hurt in this process.

So yeah, right now we are happy, and devs that have games on services like this are really happy too from what we hear, but there are some folks worried about it as well.

I thought it was interesting to hear that kind of perspective, especially since I've been someone who's been shouting my love for the service as much as I can. One take I heard too is that if we get more and more services like this, it could even things out a bit because there will be more platforms trying to acquire content and it will give better leverage from the devs side on making deals too, so there's people from the outside that are somewhat encouraged by the model as well.

I'm sure Epic giveaways had some effect on indies sales too.

But I'm all for games being acessible to everyone, it's a paradox.

Tezza

Nov 15, 2017
Don't take none of these articles seriously, when was the last time these writers at these sites paid for a game.

Tired of them claiming what is worth full price and what isn't, they are far removed from spending habits of gamers.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I typically only play games for less than a month. The number of games that I've played via Gamepass makes the sub a no-brainer.

The only game I have bought outright was Control, and I got a pre-order for 31% off with an option to sell the disk if I wish.

If Control was on Gamepass, I wouldn't have bought it outright. I don't know which option would have provided more revenue to the publisher, because 1 disk can get passed around but multiple people would have subbed in the other case.

I'm sure it wouldn't make sense for most 3rd party publishers but it seems like a deal that makes sense financially for customers and Microsoft.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Ownership is overrated. How often are you going back and replaying games you own? Maybe some select favorites, but I've been gaming for over two decades now and I don't give a fuck about owning most games, I just want to play them. I think the premise of the article undervalues games though, it's kind of a slap in the face to devs/publishers.

It's not about replayability for me as much as it is the ability to resell games I either don't like or don't want anymore.

Even if a game is worth very little, getting back a fraction of what I paid is better than just getting stuck with it forever with no chance of recourse.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
And people forget Netflix operates at a loss. Though correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah they're burning through cash very quickly and the subscriber growth isn't enough to cover the losses. They have a huge debt. The problem is that people burn through content very quickly and you need to constantly add new high quality content to keep your subscribers happy. Its even more problematic with games because series and movies are much more easily consumable products that you can consume on a daily basis. I don't think most people play games every day so there is less incentive to subscribe.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
This is just conditioning people to think ownership is a bad thing. This way they'll just gain more control and I really doubt that's a good thing.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I disagree. I'm happy paying launch prices for games I'm keen to play especially considering I usually get a few weeks out of each one. Even launch prices included, it still makes it a pretty cheap hobby and a small price to pay for something I enjoy doing.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't help but feel that this race to the bottom with game prices and subscription services is going to end up biting the industry in the ass in the long run.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I recently bought a game that is over 3 years old and that was not on sale. That game is Factorio.

Although it is a $30 game and not a $60 one, I felt safe buying it because the developers have stated that they will never put the game on sale. If I had a Nintendo console, I wouldn't hesitate buying Breath of the Wild for full price although it's over 2 years old because I know it's never going on sale.

Publishers have done this to themselves with their rapid discounting. Bethesda put Doom and both Wolfensteins on sale just one month after their release. What happens 1 month after Doom Eternal comes out? It's the Steam holiday sale. So of course I'm going to wait for that before buying Doom Eternal.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
It's probably true for most games aside from Nintendo. Even first-party Sony titles can get fairly deep discounts within a year. Nintendo games rarely go on sale or receive permanent price drops outside of a select few YEARS later.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It's not about replayability for me as much as it is the ability to resell games I either don't like or don't want anymore.

Even if a game is worth very little, getting back a fraction of what I paid is better than just getting stuck with it forever with no chance of recourse.

Or even better. Exchanging games. I was able to get the full experience of Mad Max, Farcry 4, FC Primal, even GoW because I was able to exchange or lend my old games to other people.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
It's not that spending $60 on a game isn't worth it, it's that publishers don't make it worthwhile. I'm not going to spend $60 today and then see the price be discounted by 50% a month later. As a smart and informed consumer, I'll wait the few weeks and get it for cheaper.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Or even better. Exchanging games. I was able to get the full experience of Mad Max, Farcry 4, FC Primal, even GoW because I was able to exchange or lend my old games to other people.

Bingo. I've given 3DS games to my brother-in-law and nieces in the past that I thought they would like. I gave my niece a copy of Super Princess Peach to play on her 2DS I had because she's in love with the character.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fool for spending 60 dollars and supporting a company while keeping the piece of media I purchased forever then.

I don't buy games new because I'm dumb, I do it because the money goes further. Not only that but god damn do I hate subscription services.