• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
My favourite exclusives are on sony consoles, can't really think about xbox.
Pretty sure the consoles with better exclusives will win so there's that. If it was all power Nintendo would not sell anything.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think we'll see MS have a fair few third party DLC / marketing deals if only to stop Sony monopolising the market.

The deals worked so well on the 360 and PS4 aswell so they'd be stupid not to and with the wealth they have it doesn't mean they can't also invest in a ton of first party content aswell as third party deals.
The more they do them the more divisive both camps get.

I own all three current gen consoles and I fully expect to have a PlayStation 5 and an Xbox Series X to be honest, possibly both at launch.

I will happily buy a launch PS5 even if there isn't a standout launch title, yes. I did the same with the PlayStation 4 and my trust was rewarded. Microsoft need to earn me as a customer, Sony already have. There's nothing irrational about this: I am loyal to Sony because they have consistently delivered games I not only want to play but want to play more than anything else. Microsoft have not done that for a very, very long time.

Nothing irrational at all because as you said Sony has been delivering. What might be irrational is to talk more about Microsoft than Sony and Nintendo because why would you if like you suggest, there is nothing to talk about? Thats where the rub is, the constant criticisms at every turn. Whether it be GamePass or them showing the new Xbox and you guys going great, so wheres the games. Acting like Microsoft won't be showing any games and only Sony will be. Were already witnessing the conduct surrounding Series X games only not showing up for a year or two and how that's just terrible news.

Yes Microsoft has its critics and rightfully so because of how they've handled the Xbox One but some of you are acting like the next Xbox will be the same.

Last edited:

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I mean they ain't wrong in the sense that Microsoft is doing all the right things so far. Once Sony reveals then it will be interesting to see how Microsoft responds. Sony's lack of transparency has definitely hurt them and if their console is not as powerful and Microsoft matches them on price, that will be HUGE. All of this remains to be seen and Xbox has to nail all of these new games coming down the pipeline to excite people, starting with HALO.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I mean they ain't wrong in the sense that Microsoft is doing all the right things so far. Once Sony reveals then it will be interesting to see how Microsoft responds. Sony's lack of transparency has definitely hurt them and if their console is not as powerful and Microsoft matches them on price, that will be HUGE. All of this remains to be seen and Xbox has to nail all of these new games coming down the pipeline to excite people, starting with HALO.
How did it hurt them if ps5 gets more attention than the competition whenever an info is released?

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really? I'm imagining a basketball game. One team has arrived early. The fans are already in their seats. There is no basketball. The game hasn't started yet and the announcers are live. One of them says "You know mean gene, team B not being here yet is really doing wonders for team A!" And it sounds nonsensical. Much like the basis of this thread. You wanna know what happens next. Team B arrives to fucking Harder Better Faster stronger 5 minutes before game time. Everybody in the crowd loses their shit and no one is talking about how Team A sat on the court waiting to play for 5 hours. My imagination is flawless, much like the writer of this article.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, most people aren't paying attention. Only the hardcore games are really paying attention to detail.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This...means nothing.
lol1.png

In that case MS should just give it up because 2013 PS4 is trending ahead of the entire Xbox brand...and we know that's not as simple as that.
We need Captain america "I can do this all day".gif

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
A controversial article about nothing during a slow news period? Unsubstantiated conclusions in order to rile up console wars for revenue clicks?

Yep, that's Polygon.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is it really? I'm imagining a basketball game. One team has arrived early. The fans are already in their seats. There is no basketball. The game hasn't started yet and the announcers are live. One of them says "You know mean gene, team B not being here yet is really doing wonders for team A!" And it sounds nonsensical. Much like the basis of this thread. You wanna know what happens next. Team B arrives to fucking Harder Better Faster stronger 5 minutes before game time. Everybody in the crowd loses their shit and no one is talking about how Team A sat on the court waiting to play for 5 hours. My imagination is flawless, much like the writer of this article.

That's ... pretty good.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Its not as if MS has shown much of the next Xbox, we still haven't seen games in action or have had any announced. We have only the design and specs.

Plus Sony still have a couple big PS4 games to hype up over the next few months so i guess their priorities are elsewhere.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Using google trends to make arguments is somewhere between polygon Mario kart chart and Vgchartz tier

The only entities benefiting from Sony's silence are fanboys who are way too invested in the console warz and clickbait article writers who can their flames.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't feel it......it feels like their desperate

When it comes to articles polygon usually comes off as desperate. Also writer came from Kotaku, who use to write similar clicky articles. Nothing Microsoft has done has created the waves and reaction this article is pointing out.

If anything they pretty much already played their hand, and honestly have a lot riding on Halo, and couple other titles that may not be ready for release this year. Hope I'm wrong.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Its not as if MS has shown much of the next Xbox, we still haven't seen games in action or have had any announced. We have only the design and specs.

Plus Sony still have a couple big PS4 games to hype up over the next few months so i guess their priorities are elsewhere.

You haven't heard about or seen any announced Series X titles?

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I like how there's immediately a bunch of overly defensive replies when it's a pretty Captain Obvious observation. Yeah, Sony had a massive lead this gen, that likely will mostly persist into next-gen, but you can't really argue they haven't been coasting on their lead for a while now.
I mean they have actual big exclusives coming out this year and soon. Why steal thunder from yourself?

Oct 25, 2017
People are just impatient. You know the PS5 is coming, and you know the PS4 still has big AAAs coming out for it in April, May and June. They still want to sell more PS4s before they reveal the PS5.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I think we can all agree on one thing. Horizon 2 will be a flop because it hasn't been announced yet and I wanted it to be announced already.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Side note, still such a great anime music video. Especially the full one with the whole thing.

When it comes to articles polygon usually comes off as desperate. Also writer came from Kotaku, who use to write similar clicky articles. Nothing Microsoft has done has created the waves and reaction this article is pointing out.

If anything they pretty much already played their hand, and honestly have a lot riding on Halo, and couple other titles that may not be ready for release this year. Hope I'm wrong.
Agreed.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
While I generally shy away from these discussions, I will say that I imagine Sony's focus are on promoting the three remaining rather large and important titles they have yet to release.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us Part 2, and Ghost of Tsushima are pretty significant product releases, deserving of a lot of marketing energy/funds.

My thoughts are they're waiting until at least two of those games releases before discussing the PS5 in specifics. Then, after those titles launch, and are in players hands, they can use any potential positive accolades from those titles to pimp the "power of the PS5," and how BC with older games is like breathing new life into them, and then have a few PS5 specific launch titles to entice those that don't want to revisit old titles.

If people genuinely thinks that Sony's silence isn't a calculated business move, I don't know what to tell you.

I'd be concerned if there weren't still a significant number of high profile exclusives yet to release on PS4, where any PS5 news would be bound to take attention away from them. If it was just one title waiting in the wings, sure, but three? Nah

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

A Halo game that will also play on the old, cheaper Xbox consoles, so are they expecting much more than a X1X level launch?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
While I generally shy away from these discussions, I will say that I imagine Sony's focus are on promoting the three remaining rather large and important titles they have yet to release.

Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us Part 2, and Ghost of Tsushima are pretty significant product releases, deserving of a lot of marketing energy/funds.

My thoughts are they're waiting until at least two of those games releases before discussing the PS5 in specifics. Then, after those titles launch, and are in players hands, they can use any potential positive accolades from those titles to pimp the "power of the PS5," and how BC with older games is like breathing new life into them, and then have a few PS5 specific launch titles to entice those that don't want to revisit old titles.

If people genuinely thinks that Sony's silence isn't a calculated business move, I don't know what to tell you.

I'd be concerned if there weren't still a significant number of high profile exclusives yet to release on PS4, where any PS5 news would be bound to take attention away from them. If it was just one title waiting in the wings, sure, but three? Nah
That's it. They're not stealing TLOU2's thunder.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Microsoft has truly done an outstanding job this gen in terms of communication with the community and pushing new ideas forward (i.e., gamepass). Sony has the better exclusives, hands down; however, they have not been doing a great job on the consumer-friendly front. As a current PS4 owner, where do I go next gen? No clue. I'm very much on the fence.

I find that rather interesting. Like, why did you get a PS4? The games, correct? So what's different this generation compared to the current one, and the one before that?

If you purchased a PS3 or PS4 because you were a fan of Sony's stable of developers and IPs (of which they have a pretty impressive roster of exclusive developers that consistently put out quality titles), it's a no brainer that the PS5 will have more of the same. The specifics of what they're doing, or the features of the system are nice, but I expect the same thing I've gotten from the previous 4 PlayStation consoles: games from some really talented studios. That's enough to cement a purchase.

I skipped the Xbox this current gen, primarily because I wasn't particularly interested in the exclusive titles they had. It was weird for me, because it was the first Xbox console I passed on. I've owned the previous 2, so was pretty sure I'd get the One. Ultimately, it's the games that get me to purchase a console, and Sony's history with games is pretty stellar.

I guess I just don't see what would be different this time around. I view the ancillary features a console has as just extra bells and whistles compared to the most important function of a console: "what games will I be playing on it, and from which studios?"

Like I said before, I'm expecting a PS5 blowout reveal after either The Last of Us 2 launches, or Ghost of Tsushima launches. Revealing anything substantial about it before those two games release would do more harm than good to those titles, as it'll just swallow up any coverage they would be getting as the gaming enthusiast press has shown a penchant for chasing the latest hot news item for clicks. If PS5 and all its features were revealed now, the news cycle would be like "The Last of Who?" "Ghost of What?"

But back to my original point, I ask why you would be unsure of where to go next if you enjoyed the PS4? It's a safe bet that the PS5 will continue that trend/trajectory.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find that rather interesting. Like, why did you get a PS4? The games, correct? So what's different this generation compared to the current one, and the one before that?

If you purchased a PS3 or PS4 because you were a fan of Sony's stable of developers and IPs (of which they have a pretty impressive roster of exclusive developers that consistently put out quality titles), it's a no brainer that the PS5 will have more of the same. The specifics of what they're doing, or the features of the system are nice, but I expect the same thing I've gotten from the previous 4 PlayStation consoles: games from some really talented studios. That's enough to cement a purchase.

I skipped the Xbox this current gen, primarily because I wasn't particularly interested in the exclusive titles they had. It was weird for me, because it was the first Xbox console I passed on. I've owned the previous 2, so was pretty sure I'd get the One. Ultimately, it's the games that get me to purchase a console, and Sony's history with games is pretty stellar.

I guess I just don't see what would be different this time around. I view the ancillary features a console has as just extra bells and whistles compared to the most important function of a console: "what games will I be playing on it, and from which studios?"

Like I said before, I'm expecting a PS5 blowout reveal after either The Last of Us 2 launches, or Ghost of Tsushima launches. Revealing anything substantial about it before those two games release would do more harm than good to those titles, as it'll just swallow up any coverage they would be getting as the gaming enthusiast press has shown a penchant for chasing the latest hot news item for clicks. If PS5 and all its features were revealed now, the news cycle would be like "The Last of Who?" "Ghost of What?"

But back to my original point, I ask why you would be unsure of where to go next if you enjoyed the PS4? It's a safe bet that the PS5 will continue that trend/trajectory.

If I had to sum it up, the vast majority of games I've enjoyed have been multiplats. There's been a *few* exclusives that I've also enjoyed on PS4 (Spider-Man mostly). To me, I wonder, is the increased flexibility and support provided by MS with services like gamepass worth those handful of games? If I was very into every PS4 exclusive and none of the Xbox exclusives, it'd be a no brainer. 1, 2, 3 games over the lifespan of the console though? I don't know.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PS4 was announced before GoW Ascension, TLOU, Beyond, Puppeteer and Gran Turismo 6 hit market... I think Sony is simply waiting the right moment considering current emergency climate also

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If I had to sum it up, the vast majority of games I've enjoyed have been multiplats. There's been a *few* exclusives that I've also enjoyed on PS4 (Spider-Man mostly). To me, I wonder, is the increased flexibility and support provided by MS with services like gamepass worth those handful of games? If I was very into every PS4 exclusive and none of the Xbox exclusives, it'd be a no brainer. 1, 2, 3 games over the lifespan of the console though? I don't know.

Yeah, that definitely makes more sense! For me, I'm a huge fan of Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Insomniac Games, Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games, Media Molecule, Japan Studios, Ben's, etc. And I've been following those studios for over 20 years now, so where they release games, I'll be there.

On the third party front, I'm generally only interested in Square, Ubisoft, CD Projekt, Atlus, and maybe a handful of others, so the vast majority of use I get out of a console is from their exclusives.

Microsoft owns Obsidian, which is another of my favorite devs (and I'm probably a little biased since I used to work for them and they're some good people!), but they tend to release on PC also, so if I really, really wanted to play their games, I can just play them on PC.

Game Pass is pretty amazing, but so I need an Xbox for that? I can definitely understand why it'd be enticing for anyone not particularly interested in Sony's first party offerings.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
But you have to look at it within the context of this gen:

Sony sold at least twice as many consoles and is currently the second most sold home console of all time (and have 4 out of 5 of the highest home consoles)

xbox sold just over half as many consoles as the previous gen

Sony have had a string of highly regarded first party games

MS have mostly had either flops or games that are nothing to write home about (except forza, ori and a few other smaller games).

Of course the narrative would be different if the tables were turned regarding the current marketing approach.
I understand what you're saying. But narrative is self-propagating. The prevailing story is that Sony is winning and will continue to do so, thus, no matter what, the assumption is that whatever Sony is doing is the right strategy. And therefore, there no way Sony could be doing the wrong strategy. And if Xbox is doing something different, they must be doing the wrong strategy. And thus, MS is losing and Sony will win - rinse and repeat.

After all, who decided console sales and exclusives mattered the most? They haven't always. Narrative is fickle and always in flux. But we don't always realize haha.

At the end of the day, the two companies probably SHOULD be doing different things. Whether or not they're doing the right things and whether each will succeed is not something we'll know for many months and years to come. We're in for an interesting ride either way. May many good times and fun games come out of it too.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Game Pass is pretty amazing, but so I need an Xbox for that? I can definitely understand why it'd be enticing for anyone not particularly interested in Sony's first party offerings.
Yes and no. You don't need an Xbox because you have game pass pc, but the library is different. Theoretically, we may see a day when all game pass games are playable on xCloud (decent selection as is), and therefore on many platforms as well.

I think it's fair to say that while series x is a showpiece of the Xbox strategy, it is certainly not the only one - and quite possibly not even one of the more profitable ones. I applaud MS (and slowly now Sony) for finally chipping away at exclusives culture, so that more people can play games. I think it's a better future for literally everyone.