• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to tinker with the search parameters to get the results you want but the facts still remain lol

9u6PWxk.jpg

Even when the stats are laid bare people will dispute it and create their own narrative. PS5 have 90 -95%of interest worldwide isn't going to sit well with everyone lol

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polygon ain't wrong though. Fact is, the hardcore Sony fans will defend their stance until the end and buy it anyway, but those on the fence and plenty on here who even skipped xbox this gen are very pleased with how xbox is communicating and many have said their now buying or open to buying the next MS box.

Sony's silence, in part, let that happen.

The airwaves on podcasts time and time again over the last 12 months have been filled with positivity regarding xbox next gen. Sony will come out strong but they have allowed xbox to rehabilitate itself to the point where its a much more level reset next gen than it could have been.

Microsoft has truly done an outstanding job this gen in terms of communication with the community and pushing new ideas forward (i.e., gamepass). Sony has the better exclusives, hands down; however, they have not been doing a great job on the consumer-friendly front. As a current PS4 owner, where do I go next gen? No clue. I'm very much on the fence.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
They've revealed the majority of specs, the look, and talked in-depth about functionality. Do they need to literally have the reveal for you to consider it a more complete job than Sony at this point?

I guess so but specs mean nothing to most people and I don't know what they said about functionality that Sony didn't basically say too. Neither console has been revealed properly yet in a way that matters.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Microsoft has truly done an outstanding job this gen in terms of communication with the community and pushing new ideas forward (i.e., gamepass). Sony has the better exclusives, hands down; however, they have not been doing a great job on the consumer-friendly front. As a current PS4 owner, where do I go next gen? No clue. I'm very much on the fence.
You go where the games you like are. That's it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I guess so but specs mean nothing to most people and I don't know what they said about functionality that Sony didn't basically say too. Neither console has been revealed properly yet in a way that matters.
I just think when Sony reveals the look and few more things about the console itself in terms of power, it'll be about the same. Right now, MS has been a little more forthcoming. Technically. I don't think it matters, really. Clearly Sony doesn't. They know they'll have the world's attention whenever they reveal.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Sony are doing the same thing in 2020 that they did in 2013: rewarding their customers by releasing huge games on the console they own rather than making lofty promises about the console they haven't bought yet. From my perspective as an Xbox One owner I feel pretty let down this generation. The greatness always seems to be right around the corner. It's hard to ignore that when Sony fucked up in 2006 they actually righted the ship before the end of the generation, whereas with Microsoft they're expecting me to stick around for another one before they start delivering.

I honestly don't think there's much hype for new consoles yet and it's no wonder when there's still so much to come for the current ones. We've got a major game release coming out today, and tomorrow, and on Friday, and two major releases next Friday.
Ah, so you still deadset in beliveing those new studios won't do much while you and likely a lot of people will rush out and get a PS5 regardless of what games they launch with.

The amount of publicity Sony is getting for saying nothing is insane. The hype is real and publications are desperate for more news because that's where the clicks lie.

Let's be honest here, many of you will always be more pumped for the PS5 regardless of what Microsofty does. After all it is Microsoft who has the most to prove. That doesn't mean there is no hype or excitement for the new Xbox. It just means you and those who support Sony the most will be the hardest to convince otherwise. This has always been Xbox's biggest issue and that is both it and Playstation tread on the same waters. So many choose either or and why we see Nintendo have such huge spikes down and up.

Considering people lost their collective minds when Sony revealed bold new PlayStation logo where 4 was replaced with 5 I'm sure Sony knows they can show sliver of PS5's box design, and people will lose their minds.
Sony can pretty much do anything, it's why they can get away with not attending big shows like E3 and still get a lot of support no matter what titles they launch with.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I just think when Sony reveals the look and few more things about the console itself in terms of power, it'll be about the same. Right now, MS has been a little more forthcoming. Technically. I don't think it matters, really. Clearly Sony doesn't. They know they'll have the world's attention whenever they reveal.

Considering people lost their collective minds when Sony revealed bold new PlayStation logo where 4 was replaced with 5 I'm sure Sony knows they can show sliver of PS5's box design, and people will lose their minds.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It's easy to tinker with the search parameters to get the results you want but the facts still remain lol

9u6PWxk.jpg

Even when the stats are laid bare people will dispute it and create their own narrative. PS5 have 90 -95%of interest worldwide isn't going to sit well with everyone lol
Just did it myself and ps4 won the past year, past 90 days hands down and ps5 is higher than Xbox series x so yeah, I don't know what these people are talking about.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Sony won't reveal specs alone. They made it clear a long time ago that they'll push games. Expect the ps5 reveal to be shown with a bunch of killer apps. They won't waste their time with specs and numbers the average Joe (and most people on this site) won't be able to understand.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
Even being a "pony" i don't really disagree with the headline here. Microsoft is off to a good start and Sony's silence is part of that. But props must also be given to MS for doing well in Sony's absense.

Now, don't get me wrong, all of this may not mean shit in a few months. But talking purely about *right now* I would say that this is true.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Sony won't reveal specs alone. They made it clear a long time ago that they'll push games. Expect the ps5 reveal to be shown with a bunch of killer apps. They won't waste their time with specs and numbers the average Joe (and most people on this site) won't be able to understand.
Look at Sony's strategy, they show investment through their games with titles that are still aways out. Even if it means a ho-hum launch of titles but they always follow it up with huge titles even if they are 2 years out.This gives the consumers confidence they have continued support. Sony will also show tons of third party partnerships which I think is key and Sony will once again take advantage of this because Phil doesn't want to do those.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just did it myself and ps4 won the past year, past 90 days hands down and ps5 is higher than Xbox series x so yeah, I don't know what these people are talking about.

Yup. They can tinker with the search parameters all day but over the past two generation Googles stats showcase a collapse in interest since 2005 to present day. Even worse when you search for next gen consoles.

For some strange reason, some era members push the conversation to everything except the actual games. Which is weird because I don't think that outside of our enthusiast bubble the conversation is always rooted in said games.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018

9u6PWxk.jpg

You're the one who chose oddly specific search terms to fit your narrative. Underlining "past 7 days" is implying what exactly?

uBGwRX2.png

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean this is bait, for sure. Sony not saying anything is no more strange than Xbox dripping out info on random days. But in my heart of hearts, I also know that if the roles were reversed, these comments would be about how Sony was destroying MS by making sure when Xbox revealed it would be "old news". I find it funny that that's still exactly what people are saying even though the exact opposite situation is happening.
But you have to look at it within the context of this gen:

Sony sold at least twice as many consoles and is currently the second most sold home console of all time (and have 4 out of 5 of the highest home consoles)

xbox sold just over half as many consoles as the previous gen

Sony have had a string of highly regarded first party games

MS have mostly had either flops or games that are nothing to write home about (except forza, ori and a few other smaller games).

Of course the narrative would be different if the tables were turned regarding the current marketing approach.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yup. They can tinker with the search parameters all day but over the past two generation Googles stats showcase a collapse in interest since 2005 to present day. Even worse when you search for next gen consoles.

For some strange reason, some era members push the conversation to everything except the actual games. Which is weird because I don't think that outside of our enthusiast bubble the conversation is always rooted in said games.
Are you going to enjoy Ori and will you then talk about it. If it's all about games then how about we talk about Series X games when the system launches and PS5 games when the system launches? We all know what is going to happen instead. So what did you say so far about Hellblade II and Halo Infinite compared to Godfall? I realize those games haven't come out yet but at least there's a start to your narrative.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're the one who chose oddly specific search terms to fit your narrative. Underlining "past 7 days" is implying what exactly?

uBGwRX2.png

I didn't choose them, I followed the link and saw the stats for myself. Also, limiting the search to seven days isn't going to give you full picture.

The stats country by country since 2005 - present day are what they are.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you going to enjoy Ori and will you then talk about it. If it's all about games then how about we talk about Series X games when the system launches and PS5 games when the system launches? We all know what is going to happen instead. So what did you say so far about Hellblade II and Halo Infinite compared to Godfall? I realize those games haven't come out yet but at least there's a start to your narrative.

Ori is a great game. I have an XB1S and will play it once I'm through with The Division, Dreams, and COD. But yes, it's always about the actual games and I think here, especially, sometimes that is forgotten. I haven't seen gameplay of hellblade 2 or Halo infinite. So far they, unless I'm mistaken, have only been CG/cut scene.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Announcing the Xbox Series X box:

Less than a million likes.

Tweet announcing the Xbox Series X: 18k likes and 3400 retweets

vs

5 Million likes for a simple logo that looks like both PS3 and PS4 logos.

"PS5 releases holiday 2020" with only an old PS logo: 214k likes and 90k retweets

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Announcing the Xbox Series X box:

Less than a million likes.

Tweet announcing the Xbox Series X: 18k likes and 3400 retweets

vs

5 Million likes for a simple logo that looks like both PS3 and PS4 logos.

"PS5 releases holiday 2020" with only an old PS logo: 214k likes and 90k retweets

"likes me nothing, it's just people dunking on the logo"

Expect to get these responses.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I've got some bad news for you:
Last 90 days.
Where's the bad news?

My understanding is that Xbox One sold roughly 40-45% as many units as PS5.
My suspicion is that roughly 40-45% are now anticipating XSX to be their next-gen console (compared to those excited about PS5).
My suspicion is that the umbrella term "xbox" is more popular than the umbrella term "playstation" is (partially) because people are using "xbox" to look for info about the new console (thanks to MS's convoluted naming convention, as opposed to Sony's easy to undersgtand and deduct 2/3/4/5).

Therefore, my suspicion is that the interest in PS5 is not 10x times stronger despite the graph you presented.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They already did. Most of what we know is bits of spec stuff Cerny released. It's all teasing.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
"likes me nothing, it's just people dunking on the logo"

Expect to get these responses.

What about the gap in twitter engagement?

People here still pay no attention to social media engagement for some reason. Might be a generational thing. Not sure if this is mainly a place with generation X people. That could explain the lack of interest in that tbh.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so you still deadset in beliveing those new studios won't do much while you and likely a lot of people will rush out and get a PS5 regardless of what games they launch with.

I own all three current gen consoles and I fully expect to have a PlayStation 5 and an Xbox Series X to be honest, possibly both at launch.

I will happily buy a launch PS5 even if there isn't a standout launch title, yes. I did the same with the PlayStation 4 and my trust was rewarded. Microsoft need to earn me as a customer, Sony already have. There's nothing irrational about this: I am loyal to Sony because they have consistently delivered games I not only want to play but want to play more than anything else. Microsoft have not done that for a very, very long time.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am not seeing it?

The only thing I am seeing with the lack PS5 news is an insane amount of hype being build. The antecipation is ridiculous and everytime Microsoft says something about Xbox Series X it feels like people get even more excited about PS5 instead.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What about the gap in twitter engagement?

People here still pay no attention to social media engagement for some reason. Might be a generational thing. Not sure if this is mainly a place with generation X people. That could explain the lack of interest in that tbh.
Definitely.

I have said before that for some reason, many here dismiss social media engagement as worthless but it is far from it.

Does it mean everything? Of course not, but it is a good indicator of what is getting people engaged and those stats speak for themselves. It's not like expecting an election to go to one candidate because twitter is majority in support of them which is a terrible way to judge that on but for something like a consumer product that will be sold to people who predominantly use social media, its a great way to gauge enthusiasm for a product.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Where's the bad news?

My understanding is that Xbox One sold roughly 40-45% as many units as PS5.
My suspicion is that roughly 40-45% are now anticipating XSX to be their next-gen console (compared to those excited about PS5).
My suspicion is that the umbrella term "xbox" is more popular than the umbrella term "playstation" is (partially) because people are using "xbox" to look for info about the new console (thanks to MS's convoluted naming convention, as opposed to Sony's easy to undersgtand and deduct 2/3/4/5).

Therefore, my suspicion is that the interest in PS5 is not 10x times stronger despite the graph you presented.
The bad news is ps5 interest is higher than Xbox series x. Sony is not marketing ps5 and it still has more interest overall. So yeah. It's bad news for polygon's narrative. Social media engagement makes things even worse for the Xbox brand. There's no way around this. Anyway you look, there are far more people interested in the ps5 and that's with Sony doing nothing and showing nothing. Funny you mention my graph don't prove anything but you showed no data to back your claims up.

Last edited:

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Personally speaking, I am only really thinking about the PS5 after I have bought and played TLoU Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Then I'll be looking for the deets on the PS5. Even the backlog or just the 2-3 games I ever seem to play will keep me entertained at any given time. They'll say shit when they say shit. Time will keep moving regardless. Play something you enjoy in the meantime.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
surprising to me how this forum operates. If I were a social/community guy for either platform holder, I would absolutely be sitting here copying homework

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Once the console is revealed nobody will even remember that Sony went "radio silent" or whatever it is people call it when a company doesn't reveal things in the time and manner they so desire.
Yes, but we don't know how long Sony is gonna be radio silent for, and in that time, mS could continue talking plenty more about Series X, drawing more and more attention to themselves

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Doubt. While it is great that Microsoft is actually talking, I feel like it's also something they probably have to do, everyone I know including myself is frothing at the mouth for PS5 info and while we all think the XSX is cool, purchasing one hinders on what Sony has to offer, which wouldn't have changed regardless of when anyone talked about anything.

Edit: Gamepass is what is doing wonders for Microsoft if anything.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at Sony's strategy, they show investment through their games with titles that are still aways out. Even if it means a ho-hum launch of titles but they always follow it up with huge titles even if they are 2 years out.This gives the consumers confidence they have continued support. Sony will also show tons of third party partnerships which I think is key and Sony will once again take advantage of this because Phil doesn't want to do those.

I think we'll see MS have a fair few third party DLC / marketing deals if only to stop Sony monopolising the market.

The deals worked so well on the 360 and PS4 aswell so they'd be stupid not to and with the wealth they have it doesn't mean they can't also invest in a ton of first party content aswell as third party deals.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Doubt. While it is great that Microsoft is actually talking, I feel like it's also something they probably have to do, everyone I know including myself is frothing at the mouth for PS5 info and while we all think the XSX is cool, purchasing one hinders on what Sony has to offer, which wouldn't have changed regardless of when anyone talked about anything.

Edit: Gamepass is what is doing wonders for Microsoft if anything.
I think it helps to dilute the message. Hard to be wicked upset one way or the other if the message was given for a year.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I refresh the trending topics on Resetera 50 times a day in hope of more concrete PS5 information coming out.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's silence will really only be a problem if they are silent for another couple months in a row. If they are silent through all of May then that would be an issue I think, but if they reveal by then no one will remember the months of silence.