• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Polygon ain't wrong though. Fact is, the hardcore Sony fans will defend their stance until the end and buy it anyway, but those on the fence and plenty on here who even skipped xbox this gen are very pleased with how xbox is communicating and many have said their now buying or open to buying the next MS box.

Sony's silence, in part, let that happen.

The airwaves on podcasts time and time again over the last 12 months have been filled with positivity regarding xbox next gen. Sony will come out strong but they have allowed xbox to rehabilitate itself to the point where its a much more level reset next gen than it could have been.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotal of course but I'm not even sure the majority of my friends with a more casual interest in gaming are aware Microsoft announced the new Xbox.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of time for them to catch up. My guess is they'll focus heavily on games and have plenty of third party marketing deals in place for this year.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Polygon ain't wrong though. Fact is, the hardcore Sony fans will defend their stance until the end and buy it anyway, but those on the fence and plenty on here who even skipped xbox this gen are very pleased with how xbox is communicating and many have said their now buying or open to buying the next MS box.

The airwaves on podcasts time and time again over the last 12 months have been filled with positivity regarding xbox next gen. Sony will come out strong but they have allowed xbox to rehabilitate itself to the point where its a much more level reset next gen than it could have been.

Why people "on the fence" would make a decision without seeing the PS5 reveal?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I read the article and mostly agree? Xbox has gotten out some decent bits of info that would have been at least stifled if not drowned out by the market leader talking at the same time. Like they said, when Sony starts talking it might not matter. But clearly Sony's silence is better for MS than if Sony was talking. They both have to pitch a machine. Xbox would either fight tooth and nail against Sony uphill or they would have a bunch of Sony-free press time to give out information. Just because this situation is ideal for MS doesn't mean that it's bad for Sony, man. This shit isn't a black and white, all or nothing, ones or zeros game, but good luck cutting through the warriors to get that point across.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-id like the new xbox please?
-ah the series x that launched this year?
-yes, that really powerful one please?
-coming right up.

- that's the one with Spider-Man right?
- ... that's a Playstation exclusive game series
- then give me the new Playstation!
- but the Series X is more powerful
- did i stutter? I want Spider-Man
- coming right up.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure the silence is doing wonders for Xbox news exactly, I think Xbox revealing the news itself is doing wonders for itself enough.
I think it's made PS look embarassing in comparison though, at least to me, weird how they went from releasing info first and Xbox were more catching up, and now we're at a point where I'm supposed to be excited over an obvious logo reveal, while Xbox is giving solid info, console designs, etc., but I'm sure most people will probably automatically be more looking forward to the PS5, so that won't diminish until either of the consoles release anyway.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Everyone I know, including Xbox friends, want a PS5 next gen.

I think this is one of those cases where someone mentions silence, then someone else reads it, and before long it's this big thing that's only a thing cos internet says it is.

Articles like this are just meaningless And quickly forgotten.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah. As said in the article, they haven't had to fight for attention unlike last time, and pretty much everything (if not everything) has been positive.

It's just that Sony's silence won't necessarily be a net negative for Sony once they start talking.

And they say as much in the article. Sony will be fine but their silence is helping MS. I don't see how that's debatable.

Oct 30, 2017
We are still in March... there is PLENTY OF TIME.

I think a conference in May will be good timing, month before E3 when many of the 3rd parties will unveil some of their next gen games.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I feel like the only thing MS does is talk about consoles specs since 2016 when they hyped Scorpio, and it makes sense when you don't have games in the same level os quality as the competition you only talk about consoles specs.

The only MS exclusive that I finished this gen was Gears 4. Well, and FH4 if you count only the SP content. Gears 5? Nice, but nothing mind blowing. Halo CEA? Dude, I cant stand one more grunt. Crackdown 3? There is not enough Terry Crews to make me go through this. State of Decay? Not interested. Sea of thieves? Not for me. And I say this as someone who has Gamepass.

Sony in other hand can easily wait until their big hits arrive this year. The Last of Us 2 is going to dominate sales, news and social media and obliterate any talk about any Xbox related stuff

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018

100 Percent.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Ah it's that time in the generation for "current market leader is doomed" clickbait articles. The more things change, the more they stay the same XD

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Don't speak common sense on here

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
- that's the one with Spider-Man right?
- ... that's a Playstation exclusive game series
- then give me the new Playstation!
- but the Series X is more powerful
- did i stutter? I want Spider-Man
- coming right up.

hahaha! Touche...

..Unfortunately, it's more ...

-The one with the best running COD and FIFA/MADDEN...Fortnite etc.
-Coming right up

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
If history is anything to go by they'll both sell out at launch but then it'll be game line ups that determine the overall figures. But MS have done wonders for themselves since the XBOX One reveal in 2013.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

It doesn't really matter what people say they're buying or open to buying now, though. Really, it doesn't. Nobody is actually making a purchasing decision at this point. Of course people will say, right now, that they prefer the console they know more about. But they're not going to be choosing a console in November based on what they knew about the consoles back in early March, they're going to be choosing a console in November based on what they know about the consoles in November.

Come November, will Sony having revealed the PS5 in, say, April as opposed to February have the slightest impact on sales? I'm not convinced.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I'm guessing you hang out with Xbox-centric folks on the internet because I don't, and I'm not seeing what you're describing. At least certainly not in numbers to be noticeable.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If history is anything to go by they'll both sell out at launch but then it'll be game line ups that determine the overall figures. But MS have done wonders for themselves since the XBOX One reveal in 2013.

If they are aggressive with GamePass marketing and bundling with new console release it could convert some people to getting both consoles this time around.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It doesn't really matter what people say they're buying or open to buying now, though. Really, it doesn't. Nobody is actually making a purchasing decision at this point. Of course people will say, right now, that they prefer the console they know more about. But they're not going to be choosing a console in November based on what they knew about the consoles back in early March, they're going to be choosing a console in November based on what they know about the consoles in November.

Come November, will Sony having revealed the PS5 in, say, April as opposed to February have the slightest impact on sales? I'm not convinced.

I was right with you, but the only bit that needs tweaking is people will be buying a console about what they know about a console when Pre orders go live. Whenever that is, Launch allocation will probably be gone within a couple of days.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland

For the past few years people have been saying that Microsoft "redeemed" themselves with Gamepass, backwards compatibility, etc. but all of that doesn't seem to translate into sales, so what makes you think that it will now? Some hardcore gamers saying that they're buying the new Xbox doesn't mean much.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
For the past few years people have been saying that Microsoft "redeemed" themselves with Gamepass, backwards compatibility, etc. but all of that doesn't seem to translate into sales, so what makes you think that it will now? Some hardcore gamers saying that they're buying the new Xbox doesn't mean much.
Because a new gen is a fresh slate plus console sales won't mean as much when you can play "Xbox games" anywhere but a PlayStation or Nintendo. If you can only play anywhere on any phone or PC with Xbox exclusives I would say no big deal. But it's third parties as well.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh, nah. In this American Gaming Journalist bubble XBox might get its hype, as usual, but in the end, it'll flounder all over internationally. Nothing is guaranteed but unless Sony's PS5 reveal and/or the PS5 itself is a disaster, it'll be a repeat of last generation.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is one angry thread.
I read the thread title then immediately had the image of posters furiously smashing their keyboards as they wrote their responses.

It's funny how different the tone would be if it was
Polygon: Microsoft XBOX Radio Silence Has Done Wonders For The PS5

Would have been a long trail of Cerny Gif's and acknowledgement posts.

Not that I don't agree that the article is pure click bait

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
ishethough.png
😂😂😂

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
TL;Dr: Xbox was lagging behind in terms of popularity what with ps4 exclusives and sales figures, now it has got the spotlight it sought.

Eventually, Sony will unveil what it's got in the works, and business might go back to the usual. For now, though, Microsoft is stealing the spotlight in a way it hasn't for a long, long time.

I mean its not even click bait. People should calm down and go back into anticipation mode.
Look what you're doing to your fanbase, Sony.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

You're joking right? Seems to me the longer Sony is silent, the more people talk about them. I'm visiting several sites and forums and if I have to give it a number, PS5 is the talked about next gen console for like 95% of the time. Did you miss how the PS5 logo on Instagram received more than 5 million likes and is the most liked gaming related post? The PS5 reveal will cause absolute meltdowns.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Journalists are really upset Sony hasn't announced anything and so they have no material to write about. Consumers don't care, because neither console is out - it's all the same to us until one of them is actually launched. I'm seeing ads for Ps4 Pro on youtube at the moment, so Sony seems to be taking their time.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Playstation is many times more popular worldwide and this kind of narrative only works with enthusiasts and gaming press as long as PS5 is unveiled. There's no evidence really. Of all the potential next-gen customers, there's a very tiny amount of people who are well informed on news and rumours regarding next-gen at the moment, because most people don't care that much.

MS has been doing better year after year with gaming and Xbox just keeps getting better, but with all the recent rumours about consoles being almost identical I just don't see a scenario where Sony doesn't continue to be the market leader with similar margin to this gen, in the near future at least.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a PS4, I don't have an Xbox One. Currently I am far more interested in Series X than Playstation 5, so in that sense it's true for me. On the other hand, I have to acknowledge that Sony may be able to sway me to the other way with just a single event and showing a wide range of interesting games during the release year. The current situation doesn't matter at all, only the actual sales when the consoles come out. It's difficult to say if Sony's marketing strategy is good or bad, when we know very little about their strategy yet.