• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I can hear the Sony execs now lol , "Hey guys we have a insurmountable lead this gen and have 3 Massive exclusives games coming out back to back to back starting in April. Two of the games can possibly rank up there with the highest in sales this gen for Sony..... but you know what? Let's blow our entire ps5 load now and really dampen the hype of these games and current PS4 momentum."

Seems like a solid plan

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
GamePass is doing more wonders for next gen Xbox than Sony's silence will ever do.

This is where I am at as well.
I dont really see Sony's silence doing anything for or against Xbox. If anything it has just made the sony fans more thirsty (which this thread proves).
But Gamepass has really changed the game in the gaming circles I frequent, which consist primarily of PC gamers.

Having the ability to simply go from your xbox to the pc and continue playing combined with the insane value you get from gamepass is a big pro for Xbox.

I dont see anyone who is currently exclusive on the PS4 switching over next gen though. The silence doesnt change that. Especially given the amazing line-up of first party titles Sony have this year.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
This is where I am at as well.
I dont really see Sony's silence doing anything for or against Xbox. If anything it has just made the sony fans more thirsty (which this thread proves).
But Gamepass has really changed the game in the gaming circles I frequent, which consist primarily of PC gamers.

Having the ability to simply go from your xbox to the pc and continue playing combined with the insane value you get from gamepass is a big pro for Xbox.

I dont see anyone who is not exclusive on the PS4 switching over next gen though. The silence doesnt change that. Especially given the amazing line-up of first party titles Sony have this year.

Yeah, as a PS gamer I have zero incentive to switch over personally. At this point I'm not considering XSX or XSS as a secondary console either. If MS does have an exclusive game I REALLY want to play then I might play it via Game Pass on xCloud, but so far none of their titles are my cup of tea. Conversely I've got a laundry list of games I'm already anticipating on the PS5.

In truth, the only way I'd probably buy an XSX is if MS allows you to install full Windows on it as that could be my new PC

Mar 18, 2018
- Hi I'd like to buy the new Xbox One X
- You mean Xbox Series X?
- What?
- What?
- Just give me PS5, alright?!

And that's all folks

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think there are 2 sides to this. I do think MS is making a lot of good moves and there seems to be a lot of positivity about the direction they're heading in next gen. I think that has less to do with Sonys silence and more to do with what MS is doing.

I also think that the moment the PS5 has a big blowout the discourse around next gen will change. You can feel the hype for the PS5 even without them showing anything.

I don't see Xbox suddenly outselling PS5 next gen but I think it'll be more competitive and I could see MS taking back the US market.

Apr 30, 2019
Being a Halo guy I was always going to get the new Xbox first, so it didn't matter to me what order the new consoles would be revealed. However, with Microsoft showing off the design and revealing the specs to be better than most predictions I read has made me more hyped for next gen than I had been for any previous generational jump. I'm happy MS has given us this much info and can't wait to hear more about either console.

Now that I think about it, whoever shows gameplay of a next gen game might actually get some slight advantage tho, as that move would be noticed more by casual gamers than MS revealing the specs was.

Last edited:

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
The comparison should only start when Sony does their reveal. If after all this time Sony botches it, then we can talk about it.

Just the other day they revealed stuff related to a PS3 game and a PS4 game, in TLoU show and Tsushima, and people couldn't stop talking about Sony.

I can't even imagine if they have Horizon 2 or Spider Man 2 footage in their PS5 reveal.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I dont see anyone who is currently exclusive on the PS4 switching over next gen though. The silence doesnt change that. Especially given the amazing line-up of first party titles Sony have this year.

The beauty in GamePass is that someone like me that is coming from PS3 & PS4 going into next gen with only a PS5 in mind, I don't need to worry about Xbox as I have GamePass on PC.

MS did the smart move in making every PC with Windows 10 an Xbox, and all you have to do is buy their monthly service or their exclusive titles (in this case the monthly service is the better proposition). MS gets the revenue from an audience they otherwise wouldn't get, and I get my Halo and Forza without investing in another box.

People can look and compare boxes/hardware all they want, but what I'm going to be looking at going into next gen is if Sony does as many start moves with both services and opening up to PC such as MS did. We have rumors of Horizon: Zero Dawn coming to PC later this year, but their library of PS4 exclusives alone is vast. I'm gonna put my tinfoil hat on and predict that by the end of the PS5/Series X gen, Sony will follow MS in releasing their exclusives release-day across both console and PC.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope more write stuff like this It may force sony to show us what the fuck they are doing as some are getting desperate for new info, me included.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Throw me in the camp of this is as overrated as it gets.

"We" (the wannabe super informed fanatics) are a small amount of people. We think it's important that Sony releases this information 2 months ago. Or yesterday. Or they can't wait another week can they. It simply isn't important. "We" want to think it is. As if discussion threads on era are determining the next round console champion.

Sony has really big software exclusives coming out for a huge current user base. I believe they want the hype to be around those at this time. The timing of when we get all the goods on the PS5 is monumentally less important than what the goods are.

In the grand scheme of the race zero people who are actually deciding between the two is going to get there and say "yeah now that I know about both PS5 sounds better...but Microsoft had me hyped earlier."

Don't get me wrong I'm just as eager for the info as everyone else on here. But I can't pretend to think that what they have done so far is going to have any significance whatsoever on the next round of console wars.

May 15, 2019
I can hear the Sony execs now lol , "Hey guys we have a insurmountable lead this gen and have 3 Massive exclusives games coming out back to back to back starting in April. Two of the games can possibly rank up there with the highest in sales this gen for Sony..... but you know what? Let's blow our entire ps5 load now and really dampen the hype of these games and current PS4 momentum."

Seems like a solid plan
I never thought about it, but the difference in strategies really is because Sony has games this year and Microsoft doesn't huh? lol

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I think there are 2 sides to this. I do think MS is making a lot of good moves and there seems to be a lot of positivity about the direction they're heading in next gen. I think that has less to do with Sonys silence and more to do with what MS is doing.

I think this nails it. A lot of people who are getting hyped about X box are hyped because they like the direction they are going and what they are saying. It's the complete opposite of last gen where their early discussions were so poorly received.

It's really not "well Sony hasn't announced anything so guess we're all buying an X box. They shouldn't have been so quiet!"

Click bait is click bait.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I can't even imagine if they have Horizon 2 or Spider Man 2 footage in their PS5 reveal.

I'm quite sure they're planning to reveal the console with next-gen software, as they have basically always done, which is why I'm not upset that it's taking them longer.

Showing a render of the case and saying "12 TF!" actually seems to me like the easiest, most low-effort way to reveal a console. Like yeah, it's cool that the XSX can power our dreams or whatever, show us the games. I get why Microsoft is focusing on specs — they've already announced that the XSX won't have exclusive first-party software for the first year or two, so specs are really what their upgrade story is all about. But I don't think Sony is playing that same game.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Nonsense article. Not even gonna click on it. Must be a pain to push out these articles, so I get the need to write this clickbaity stuff.

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
I think that part of the reason for this silence is because everyone that was the face of Sony in the early PS4 era is gone.

I believe only Mark Cerny is the most recognizable of any of Sony top executives. And he is a quite nerdy tech guy.

With the PS4, Sony let Microsoft cave their grave when they reveal features and policies that Sony itself was planning to use.

They could play the "good guys" without giving much information, since the PS4 was going to be a traditional console.

The situation today is completely different.

Microsoft doesn't care about hardware market share. They have reopen the PC front and I believe Sony is also going back to PC.

I believe Sony is struggling with the message they want to give its costumers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I never thought about it, but the difference in strategies really is because Sony has games this year and Microsoft doesn't huh? lol
Sony have always ended gens strong, so I doubt it'd be because that, a factor possibly. My guess is the change is due to the ways of getting news out to the masses is even more widespread than it was in 2013, the way Apple and co do their stuff with fairly quick time to release and Coronavirus, it probably meant anything in the next month or so was scrapped or postponed and probably anything mid February too when it became clear it's getting worst.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm quite sure they're planning to reveal the console with next-gen software, as they have basically always done, which is why I'm not upset that it's taking them longer.

Showing a render of the case and saying "12 TF!" actually seems to me like the easiest, most low-effort way to reveal a console. Like yeah, it's cool that the XSX can power our dreams or whatever, show us the games. I get why Microsoft is focusing on specs — they've already announced that the XSX won't have exclusive first-party software for the first year or two, so specs are really what their upgrade story is all about. But I don't think Sony is playing that same game.

This is where I am, sony are going to drop bombs in the software department. I just hope its games close to release and not years away.

Nov 5, 2017
I think that part of the reason for this silence is because everyone that was the face of Sony in the early PS4 era is gone.

I believe only Mark Cerny is the most recognizable of any of Sony top executives. And he is a quite nerdy tech guy.

With the PS4, Sony let Microsoft cave their grave when they reveal features and policies that Sony itself was planning to use.

They could play the "good guys" without giving much information, since the PS4 was going to be a traditional console.

The situation today is completely different.

Microsoft doesn't care about hardware market share. They have reopen the PC front and I believe Sony is also going back to PC.

I believe Sony is struggling with the message they want to give its costumers.
It is true that the leadership that introduced the PS4 isn't the same leadership team that is on the verge of the releasing the PS 5....

There are also lots of internal rearranging of many staff and departments as Sony gets set to launch the PS 5 as well.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Doing MS some favors? Maybe; bit of them having the entire spotlight.. but it's a much smaller spotlight than the one that will shine on Sony the moment they do a bigger reveal of PS5.

And if Sony knocks it out of the park that favor won't mean much; nothing can be pre-ordered for many months.

DarthFeanor

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019

I also think that the moment the PS5 has a big blowout the discourse around next gen will change. You can feel the hype for the PS5 even without them showing anything.

I don't see Xbox suddenly outselling PS5 next gen but I think it'll be more competitive and I could see MS taking back the US market.

Microsoft doesn't seem to care about shipping more hardware than anyone.

They care about subscribers and paid content.

Microsoft is only in the console market to prevent Sony total control. The same reason they keep releasing Surface tablets and laptops.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

There is no doubt that Sony's first party output absolutely dwarves what MS can deliver. However I'm not convinced that Somy will have a large amount of PS5 SW around launch either. I think it's much more likely we see a lot of cross gen games.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldnt you just buy a PC? If that is your bent, why buy something with fixed hardware even if you could install W10 on it? Seems counter intuitive to me.

Fixed hardware yes, but a substantially lower price than an equivalent PC with the same capabilities.

I'm not too interested in upgrading my PC constantly anymore since I jumped into the PS ecosystem. My current PC is about 8 years old and has a GTX470 in it, 6GB RAM and some random i7 CPU. The XSX would be a relatively cheap PC that far surpasses my current rig, is small, pretty quiet and should suffice for several years to suit my needs.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
All that's really happened is Xbox has given people something to talk about, so they are.
As soon as PS5 news drops itll be all about that.
Hasn't really been any advantage given. I'd anything it's just driving the hunger for PS5 info higher.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hung out with a few friends last week. More the casual/average gamer type.

Friends: Any news about PS5 so far?

Me: Nah not really but we got infos about the Xbox Series X, it´s quite powerful.

Friends: What´s an Xbox Series X ?

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, I think people are talking just as much about XSX as they are about the lack of PS5 news. I don't think it's been beneficial either way.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony on following the Apple model of "announced and available now" at E3. Food for thought.

Speaking at the E3 video games conference in Los Angeles, the president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment also expressed surprise that Microsoft had announced its Project Scorpio hardware over a year before launch.

"The point of confirming the existence of PlayStation 4 Neo and the bare bones of the plan last week was about not disappointing the fan base who would obviously come to E3 with high expectations of all kinds of announcements," he said. "And from past experience, the worst thing you can do is disappoint and pull the rug away from people. That's why we went out last week and said, yes, it does exist but don't expect to see it at E3. I think it was the right thing to do."

Asked about the decision, he said: "In terms of the right time to talk about Neo, just like every other hardware launch, VR being a good example, it's when you've got a full range of experiences that you can showcase to say this is why this product's great and that's why we're offering it. And that time is not right now."

"I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time," he said. "The dynamics of the tech industry are such that there's a much heavier emphasis on immediate gratification than there was. A lot of that is to do with how Apple has very cleverly and elegantly managed the 'available now' approach. So yes, that was a slight surprise to me. We experienced this ourselves, when, in 2013, very much in line with our previous strategies, we announced a concept and a name for PlayStation 4, and everyone said 'where's the box? How dare you?!' That was the point we realised, well, we hadn't changed but the world around us had."

www.theguardian.com

PlayStation boss 'surprised' by Xbox Scorpio announcement

Andrew House says PlayStation 4 Neo console isn’t ready to show off yet and Sony will wait until there is enough content to illustrate its benefits

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never trusted Polygon for news after they accepted a huge amount of money from Microsoft for a documentary.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Currently on Google Trends ps5 is in higher search demand than xbox series x. The only time xbox came even close was when they revealed their whole console on one of the biggest events of the year. So despite all of that sony still has more attention without doing jackshit.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
None of this speculation is going to matter when news actually starts rolling out. People aren't going to be like "Yeah but, they weren't showing anything for the past few months!" when they ARE showing things. People will be talking about the things being shown and if it looks good then the radio silence going on now will be completely forgotten.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Sony on following the Apple model of "announced and available now" at E3. Food for thought.

Since the PS4 unveiling, Nintendo also had a highly successful launch for a console that they revealed less than six months ahead of time. I'm sure other companies took notice.

I don't get why people insist that Sony would follow the PS4 reveal playbook just because the PS4 was a success. Things change. It used to be the norm for a console to be revealed well over a year ahead of launch, as the Wii, PS3, and Wii U all were.

Sony could reveal the PS5 on June 30 and release it on November 20 or even November 13 and that would still be more days than between the Switch reveal and launch.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
None of this speculation is going to matter when news actually starts rolling out. People aren't going to be like "Yeah but, they weren't showing anything for the past few months!" when they ARE showing things. People will be talking about the things being shown and if it looks good then the radio silence going on now will be completely forgotten.
It's just fanxiety atm.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like how there's immediately a bunch of overly defensive replies when it's a pretty Captain Obvious observation. Yeah, Sony had a massive lead this gen, that likely will mostly persist into next-gen, but you can't really argue they haven't been coasting on their lead for a while now.
They've been coasting on their lead by releasing mega blockbuster exclusives even in the console's final year? I'm not sure you know what exactly "coasting" means

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Currently on Google Trends ps5 is in higher search demand than xbox series x. The only time xbox came even close was when they revealed their whole console on one of the biggest events of the year. So despite all of that sony still has more attention without doing jackshit.

The countries numbers are really interesting, Mexico is the most interested on Xbox followed by Hungary (?) and US.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well they're not entirely wrong. But it seems a lot of people in here think otherwise.