• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'll never forgive the Wii for being responsible for introducing/popularizing motion controls. A temporary success that had such long tern negative repercussions on the industry. I still think its a bad console in retrospect.
It was massively influential and the effects are still felt today. It may not have had appeal to the hardcore gamers and reflex based gaming, but the influence is still apparent in Mobile, AR, VR, fitness games, peripheral games, etc. Forum trotting core gamers might not get it, but it was brilliant for widening the scope of gaming which, as a gamer, is something I want. I want as many people as possible to enjoy my favorite hobby, and thanks to efforts from Nintendo and others, the gate was opened.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Kinect sold insane amounts at the height of its popularity, breaking all kinds of records in the process. Microsoft's sole error was thinking they can base another generation on that idea, in a time when Kinect bundles were selling because they were like a hundred bucks, the PS Move was flopping and the Wii (or the Wii U) were on nobody's minds anymore, certainly not for the motion controls. They should have stopped at X360. The peripheral was great for what it was, a cheap 3D camera that allowed for fun party games and that, to this day, is an affordable option for homebrew applications (even at work we used a Kinect for a project as late as 2019).

I see a lot of the errors made with Kinect in regards to VR, with more than one dev thinking VR will be the way to play in the future, focusing hard on bringing a niche tech to a broader audience that would actually enjoy it for 10 minutes before moving back to whatever they were doing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
botched as xbone + mandatory kinect launch was i think they had the right idea with it, i could see it still getting mileage today. but nobody (including me) wants to pay a premium for it

Oct 27, 2017
But Kinect did happen, in a really big way for a couple of years. It might have been a millstone round the next of the Xbox One, but it was hugely successful on the 360. It just fizzled out in the way that almost all similar fads do.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
There were some fun games. If they had left the CPU inside it would had better support (with existing pad titles being compatible just via patch), but it would had costed 250$.

The problem wasn't the og Kinect, was the forced bundle of KInect 2.0 with Xbone.

I would say that Kinect happened about as much as any motion controls did, very popular for a few years and then tossed into the closets of the world.
I think Kinect is still the best selling console addon in history of gaming.