• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
XQlwYz4.png

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how much my take is worth, but if there are members of the site who feel this thread is in bad taste and that it promotes harmful sexualization of female characters we should respect that.

I'm sure most everyone here just wants to have fun but the important thing about these threads is that everyone involved is having a laugh, and it seems not everyone is enjoying it.

Feb 19, 2018
I dunno how much my take is worth, but if there are members of the site who feel this thread is in bad taste and that it promotes harmful sexualization of female characters we should respect that.

I'm sure most everyone here just wants to have fun but the important thing about these threads is that everyone involved is having a laugh, and it seems not everyone is enjoying it.
That is for the Mods alone to decide. The vast majority of users in this thread seem to be comfortable with it (including at least one female user who commented on this). If every thread regarding a topic a few users are uncomfortable with and which doesn't violate forum rules gets shut down, a huge number of EtcetEra threads would probably need to be shut down as well (like for example possibly everything regarding psychological issues or personal crises?). And for those people uncomfortable with the thread, the "Ignore Thread" option does exist.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is for the Mods alone to decide. The vast majority of users in this thread seem to be comfortable with it. If every thread regarding a topic a few users are uncomfortable with and which doesn't violate forum rules gets shut down, a huge number of EtcetEra threads would probably need to be shut down as well (like possibly everything regarding psychological issues). The "Ignore Thread" option exists for a reason.

There's a distinction between threads that deal with uncomfortable and triggering subject material that a poster can then choose to ignore and a thread on gaming side being horny. One matters more than the other.

I am a dude, it is not my place to decide what is and isn't acceptable topics of discussion on sexualization. It matters more how other people think than what I do.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Attempting to silence criticism of sexism, long history of dismissive behaviour towards legitimate concerns

Then go to another thread tf? We closing every thread a few people don't like? Because if so let me formally request all anime be banned on Era.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That is for the Mods alone to decide. The vast majority of users in this thread seem to be comfortable with it (including at least one female user who commented on this). If every thread regarding a topic a few users are uncomfortable with and which doesn't violate forum rules gets shut down, a huge number of EtcetEra threads would probably need to be shut down as well (like for example possibly everything regarding psychological issues or personal crises?). And for those people uncomfortable with the thread, the "Ignore Thread" option does exist.
I think they mean more that people that are uncomfortable with the thread are allowed to say their gripes with it. They shouldn't have to put it on ignore.
Then go to another thread tf? We closing every thread a few people don't like? Because if so let me formally request all anime be banned on Era.
There might be more than a few. Plus people that are uncomfortable wanting to say they don't like the thread.

Oct 26, 2017
So here's the thing. Maybe it's worth celebrating the fact that there's clearly enthusiasm for a video game portrayal of the female form that totally breaks from the norm?
She's realistically proportioned despite being tall, her outfit is cool without showing stupid amounts of skin, she looks to be in her 30's or older and doesn't have the complexion of a doll. From the pictures and brief snippets of video she appears to carry herself with a large amount of self assuredness.
How many times have we heard "She uses her sexuality as a weapon!" as pathetic justification of crass female portrayal. Well there's a genuine opportunity to actually play with that dynamic here in a sincere fashion.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Looks pretty cool and menacing. The whole "vampire/witch" aesthetic looks very cool. I was pretty so do about the game even though I loved Resi 7, but these trailers make me very excited.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So here's the thing. Maybe it's worth celebrating the fact that there's clearly enthusiasm for a video game portrayal of the female form that totally breaks from the norm?
She's realistically proportioned despite being tall, her outfit is cool without showing stupid amounts of skin, she looks to be in her 30's or older and doesn't have the complexion of a doll. From the pictures and brief snippets of video she appears to carry herself with a large amount of self assuredness.
How many times have we heard "She uses her sexuality as a weapon!" as pathetic justification of crass female portrayal. Well there's a genuine opportunity to actually play with that dynamic here in a sincere fashion.
Nothing at all wrong with celebrating that. It's possible to celebrate that without also getting really weird about it though.

Feb 19, 2018
Is it confirmed she stalks you like Mr. X does or we're just speculating
You can bet money on that she does. It's what the majority of main villains did in RE7.

Also just imagine trying to open a door in a dark hallway... only for her to suddenly bang it open from the other side and go through it like in the trailer...
It would be a massive waste for the devs not to use that.

Oct 25, 2017
For no good reason i'm just imagining her rush punching Ethan from across the room instead of just stalking him like Mr. X

A mix of

7yPUEAU.gif

and

Yu28s6z.gif

Guidelines

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We have seen multiple posts discussing and questioning the appropriateness of these types of threads both in and out of this thread so we wanted to clarify some points.

Please be considerate of a diverse audience, as outlined in our FAQ. (link) When a thread centers around the sexualization of female characters, even if it's all in "good fun", it is particularly necessary for us to be considerate of our women posters. Of course, women are not a monolith, as seen in this very thread, but we should always be cognizant of the fact that many women deal with sexual objectification in almost every aspect of our lives. It can be tiring, uncomfortable, and upsetting to see it in a place we otherwise consider a welcoming space. Shutting down or dismissing such reactions and concerns will not be tolerated.

This thread has been kept open because most of the posts have not been explicit or demeaning and there is a discussion to be had, this goes for those who are criticizing and voicing their concerns over the character in question.

We will be monitoring this thread closely and anyone who chooses to make objectifying, dismissive and or reductive posts will be moderated accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2018
Well said.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they mean more that people that are uncomfortable with the thread are allowed to say their gripes with it. They shouldn't have to put it on ignore.

There might be more than a few. Plus people that are uncomfortable wanting to say they don't like the thread.

I just don't understand this thought process. Everyone is always going to be uncomfortable at some point or disagree with something. Are you saying then that your viewpoint of this thread offending not only those who have said so but the unseen many is the "correct" way to access this discussion?

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I will say the character design of RE7 and RE8 look so good. Its really a step up from the previous entries. The Baker Family looked so creepy, but damn they were so real. I'm really tempted to get PSVR just for these games alone.

SkX27qgavNJFKYPepziwaB.jpg

The vampire lady looks beautiful, I expect her transformation to her monstrous form will be very terrifying.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Chris knew that he would never be able to find the same kind of love he had with Piers Nivans with another man so he decided to lay off the steroids and mix things up a bit for RE7 and RE8. That explains his new appearance and his sudden appreciation for tall vampire ladies. This is now my official headcanon.
RE6
Piers was such a better character than Chris I still cry every time smfh. Guy needs to finally die in this game

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand this thought process. Everyone is always going to be uncomfortable at some point or disagree with something. Are you saying then that your viewpoint of this thread offending not only those who have said so but the unseen many is the "correct" way to access this discussion?
I didn't say that. I said the right way is that anyone that isn't comfortable with it or at least some posts in the thread is allowed to say what they feel about it. People can choose to ignore those people that aren't comfortable if they want.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say that. I said the right way is that anyone that isn't comfortable with it or at least some posts in the thread is allowed to say what they feel about it. People can choose to ignore those people that aren't comfortable if they want.

You feel as though this thread should be a safe enough space for those to air their grievances then, I see. That's understandable. Wouldn't it be easier to simply ignore the thread entirely if they are in fact that uncomfortable?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
02dfb1d302dd5e352a1f7eb0404769b01d53b2c9.png

ddoodler.tumblr.com

Dood: Photo

Artist • He/They • Horror, Fantasy, Sci-fi • <a href="https://twitter.com/CSPstuff">CSPstuff</a> on Twitter • <a href="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScsdlDHD8L32S0SiPK_LSr9ALJ7CjWBSbx9BvrNerFketJKZw/viewform?pli=1">Click here for Commissions!</a>

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You feel as though this thread should be a safe enough space for those to air their grievances then, I see. That's understandable. Wouldn't it be easier to simply ignore the thread entirely if they are in fact that uncomfortable?
Nah, because then that's putting the burden on people that feel uncomfortable with it, which isn't right. Everyone can post whatever they want, and it's up to mods if something posted crosses the line or not.

Feb 19, 2018
I will say the character design of RE7 and RE8 look so good. Its really a step up from the previous entries. The Baker Family looked so creepy, but damn they were so real. I'm really tempted to get PSVR just for these games alone.

SkX27qgavNJFKYPepziwaB.jpg

The vampire lady looks beautiful, I expect her transformation to her monstrous form will be very terrifying.
Stage 2: She remains the same, but BECOMES EVEN TALLER.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
She looks pretty damned tall in this image, if the others are normal sized. She's closer than they are, so it distorts the image a bit, but the others still look very small in comparison.

NjGoNaAe4khZtzLkwSYuMa_1200_80.0.jpg

Well, if this is taken from the protagonist's viewpoint, then she is actually less tall than him. She's looking up.

She does appear taller than the other witches here though. Could be because she is standing on the first steps of stairs and the player is further up.

...or she has used some form of magic to keep us suspended in the air while they talk. Absolutely also possible.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if this is taken from the protagonist's viewpoint, then she is actually less tall than him. She's looking up.

She does appear taller than the other witches here though. Could be because she is standing on the first steps of stairs and the player is further up.

...or she has used some form of magic to keep us suspended in the air while they talk. Absolutely also possible.
Wrong. She is just very very tall...

Feb 19, 2018

She might just be looking at the camera. It's a trailer after all.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
villains.fandom.com

Eight Feet Tall

The sound that informs people that Ms. Eight Feet Tall is near.Po. Ms. Eight Feet Tall (八尺様, Hachishaku-sama, also informally called Hasshakusama) is a type of main Japanese spirit (Yokai) that takes the form of an impossibly tall female specter often said to have a deep, masculine or feminine...

She's based on an urban legend.

Now THAT is both interesting and a compelling argument. Even the hat fits.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

I'd bet that's the case, that Ethan is suspended upon something. Otherwise those other women are very, very small.