• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Hm. I'm kinda disappointed in tall lady, myself. Usually the monsters have an interesting design; even the "Sexy" monster girls have something monstrous about them--Alexia's a knockoff of SIL, Rachel's a stupid sexy lampreygirl, and bland as she was Deborah had some spidery limbs.

Tall woman is... just a woman whose tall. I kinda liked how the REmakes made Mr. X look sorts off--like he was made of wax, partially melted and then resolidifed, and Nemesis was all shades of wrong. She's just tall.

Like, I'm sure she's going to morph into something properly fucked up by endgame, but I really would prefer something more properly monstrous.
Yeah there's no way she stays looking fairly normal the whole game. She'll be some type of monstrosity by the halfway point.

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Condescending and dismissive commentary towards sexism over multiple posts, misrepresenting legitimate concerns as "kink shaming"
I agree.

I'm ok with fun and games but people take shit too far. Any opportunity to be as horny as possible, especially in embracing stiff like being stomped on or eating ass and some people won't shut the fuck up about it.

Of course any criticism will get you called a prude who only likes vanilla sex instead of it more likely being that they are acting like sex starved teenage boys who haven't felt the touch of another.

I'm sure that a lot of the people in this thread are very much just having fun or taking the piss, but hey, if we wanna get all serious about it I think there's something kind of nice about a female character who does have sex appeal (nothing wrong with that after all) that doesn't seem to be as pandering to the male gaze as say Trish or Quiet or whatever. There's an... understated quality to her sexiness if that makes sense? Like it's not so ridiculously overt that it's obvious it's just for horny guys and girls but of course she's designed in a way that is compelling, she's a villain (is she?) in a Resident Evil game.

Kind of baffled at the weird kink shaming you're doing as well, hell as a gay man i've met a lot of guys who are into eating ass and some people enjoy getting stomped on, whatever two consenting adults do is just fine by me if no one is getting hurt or exploited. Women are beautiful, tall women are beautiful, some guys/girls might react to a videogame character with these qualities in a way that could seem aggressively enthusiastic but fuck man, let them have a bit of levity in the middle of a depressing months long pandemic for fucks sake. Has someone pissed in your corn flakes recently or something?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Why... do people think she is very tall? I haven't seen any shots confirming that. It's either viewing her from a low perspective , where anyone would appear tall, or closer than other people in the shot which has the same effect.

Grant you she MIGHT be a very tall lady but we really don't know.

We do know.
20210116-113208.jpg

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Every time someon posts a pic of her, I always start reading the "watch the trailer" boilerplate as if it were subtitles she was saying, only realizing the mistake halfway through.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sure that a lot of the people in this thread are very much just having fun or taking the piss, but hey, if we wanna get all serious about it I think there's something kind of nice about a female character who does have sex appeal (nothing wrong with that after all) that doesn't seem to be as pandering to the male gaze as say Trish or Quiet or whatever. There's an... understated quality to her sexiness if that makes sense? Like it's not so ridiculously overt that it's obvious it's just for horny guys and girls but of course she's designed in a way that is compelling, she's a villain (is she?) in a Resident Evil game.

Kind of baffled at the weird kink shaming you're doing as well, hell as a gay man i've met a lot of guys who are into eating ass and some people enjoy getting stomped on, whatever two consenting adults do is just fine by me if no one is getting hurt or exploited. Women are beautiful, tall women are beautiful, some guys/girls might react to a videogame character with these qualities in a way that could seem aggressively enthusiastic but fuck man, let them have a bit of levity in the middle of a depressing months long pandemic for fucks sake. Has someone pissed in your corn flakes recently or something?
You seem to misunderstand the point I was making.

I'm not kink shaming people who like that stuff, it's just you tend to find the people who do wont ever shut up about it.

If someone is into big boobs and we had a thread that was solely focused on a woman with big boobs I'm pretty sure that thread would get locked because it would be seen as gross with entire swaths of people openly lusting over her, asking to be smothered to death in her huge boobs etc.

Instead with threads about things like being stepped on or eating ass, it can be spouted as much as people want and any criticism is instantly dismissed as being boring in bed or, just as you did, accused of kink shaming.

There is a double standard when it comes to how women can be objectified (real or fictional) here on this site. Most will say it's just for humour but it's not like there is a lengthy thread dedicated about the negativity of the objectification of women on this very board and yet stuff like this one is somehow all fine and dandy.

The fact some people find the length that stuff like this can go to pretty gross shouldn't be an opinion that is simply dismissed as "someone pissed in our cornflakes".

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Seems from the leaked footage she is a kind of Mr X esq stalker.
At least for one area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_o54o9gaizG1rsgoqro8_r1_400.gifv

Reminds me of the Tall Woman from Fatal Frame 5. Never played the game but she looked so damn creepy.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is great. Besides her obvious attractiveness, she is extremely intiguing as a villain. REVIII is going to be awesome...

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not kink shaming people who like that stuff, it's just you tend to find the people who do wont ever shut up about it.

If someone is into big boobs and we had a thread that was solely focused on a woman with big boobs I'm pretty sure that thread would get locked because it would be seen as gross with entire swaths of people openly lusting over her, asking to be smothered to death in her huge boobs etc.

Instead with threads about things like being stepped on or eating ass, it can be spouted as much as people want and any criticism is instantly dismissed as being boring in bed or, just as you did, accused of kink shaming.

There is a double standard when it comes to how women can be objectified (real or fictional) here on this site. Most will say it's just for humour but it's not like there is a lengthy thread dedicated about the negativity of the objectification of women on this very board and yet stuff like this one is somehow all fine and dandy.

The fact some people find the length that stuff like this can go to pretty gross shouldn't be an opinion that is simply dismissed as "someone pissed in our cornflakes".

So do you feel the thread should be locked?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So do you feel the thread should be locked?
Honestly? Probably.

The vast majority of the conversation has been based solely on the womans looks and people being thirsty over the design. There isn't much actual talk about the game or story etc.

As I said, if this was a character with big boobs and the same make up of comments as this one, about what people want her to do to them, it would have either been closed or a mod warning by now.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk

Honestly? Probably.

The vast majority of the conversation has been based solely on the womans looks and people being thirsty over the design. There isn't much actual talk about the game or story etc.

As I said, if this was a character with big boobs and the same make up of comments as this one, about what people want her to do to them, it would have either been closed or a mod warning by now.
I agree that the horniness is a bit much in here, but it seems like it's mostly just people having fun rather than genuine thirst. Report if you want, but I find this feature to be useful when I see threads that annoy me.
GkF1IjS.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Probably.

That hasn't happened though. Why do you think that is?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That hasn't happened though. Why do you think that is?
Because there is a double standard about what's considered objectification and what's not and allowed to be talked about.

Many people see this as harmless fun when in practice it's exactly the same as the example I gave and it's simply objectification and because it's seen as fun it goes a lot further than it would in other examples.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

There was a thread dedicated to attractive male characters, not just in a game, but in the medium's entirety. It was filled with jokes and legit thirst posts.

I understand that the power dynamics and exposure of sexualised men and women are not the same. But there are those on era that support the general goal of these boards who have an eye for women too, not all of them men. Why can't they have a jokey thirst thread like this one?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There was a thread dedicated to attractive Male characters, not just in a game, but in the medium's entirety. It was filled with jokes and legit thirst posts.

I understand that the power dynamics and exposure of sexualised men and women are not the same. But there are those on era that support the general goal of these boards who have an eye for women too, not all of them men. Why can't they have a jokey thirst thread like this one?
As you said, the dynamics of those are completely different and the entire point of that thread was to show off hot male characters.

Now the argument could be made that it also shouldn't have been allowed but you can't then just start doing the same thing for women characters because there is a long history of objectification within the industry. Something many people are against.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I consider it my duty to mention that she might not really be a vampire since she has a reflection

Q1DNNfe.png
I think there's still some reference connected to mythology just like those "werewolves" that appear in this game (likely to be gene-spliced experiments). Aside from the obvious Hachisakusama references, an often forgotten attribute of vampires that was noted in Bram Stoker's Dracula is that they can increase their size. It's one of the reasons, in Castlevania, Dracula tends to always appear as a giant compared to the Belmonts (or any hero character in the game).

Castlevania-Dracula-NES.jpg

8f2166925198de372e2c8fc79c027a62.gif
latest

hqdefault.jpg

I always thought it was an interesting attribute of vampire lore that you don't really see used in horror fiction/movies/games much other than a few noted places. Vampires are scary, but TALL VAMPIRES are scary as fuck. I think The Master in The Strain was a nod to that bit as well.
img17.jpg

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I don't understand why people are complaining about this character being sexualized. She's wearing what appears to be some very modest Edwardian era dresswear, and aside from her height, her proportions are realistic. She's an attractive character, sure - but she isn't overtly sexualized beyond the fashion of her time.

As far as the fan reaction goes. I think it's time people acknowledged that human beings are sexual creatures, and are bound to be interested in, and excited by, virtually everything - especially things that are novel. People might be fetishizing her height, but it isn't being done in a derogatory fashion, and it isn't being directed towards anyone.

I swear, sometimes I think certain people wished that everyone would just "behave". But that isn't realistic either. Let people have a little bit of fun. Nobody is trying to hurt anyone else's feelings here.

Last edited:

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
User banned (2 weeks): inappropriately misusing LGBTQ concerns in order to defend the objectification of women, backseat moderation
As you said, the dynamics of those are completely different and the entire point of that thread was to show off hot male characters.

Now the argument could be made that it also shouldn't have been allowed but you can't then just start doing the same thing for women characters because there is a long history of objectification within the industry. Something many people are against.

I enjoyed that thread, but as a bisexual, I feel that it is bi-erasure to allow discussion of one part of my sexuality, but disallow another.

A refusal to let any thread like this happen also throws people from other parts of the LGBTQ+ community under the bus.

There are posts in this thread that I thought went too far and made me cringe. I won't deny that. But you claimed there is a double standard on Era about this, and there is not.

Last edited:

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I think there's still some reference connected to mythology just like those "werewolves" that appear in this game (likely to be gene-spliced experiments). Aside from the obvious Hachisakusama references, an often forgotten attribute of vampires that was noted in Bram Stoker's Dracula is that they can increase their size. It's one of the reasons, in Castlevania, Dracula tends to always appear as a giant compared to the Belmonts (or any hero character in the game).

Castlevania-Dracula-NES.jpg

8f2166925198de372e2c8fc79c027a62.gif
latest

hqdefault.jpg

I always thought it was an interesting attribute of vampire lore that you don't really see used in horror fiction/movies/games much other than a few noted places. Vampires are scary, but TALL VAMPIRES are scary as fuck. I think The Master in The Strain was a nod to that bit as well.
img17.jpg
This is actually an interesting facet I didn't even think about.

Oct 25, 2017
Because there is a double standard about what's considered objectification and what's not and allowed to be talked about.

Many people see this as harmless fun when in practice it's exactly the same as the example I gave and it's simply objectification and because it's seen as fun it goes a lot further than it would in other examples.

I can understand that. But I think there is an impasse then isn't there? You feel as though this is another example of blatant double standards and there are quite a few who do not. It strikes me especially so given that ResetEra has to be one of the most progressive places, if not THE most progressive place when it comes to the discourse around video games.

I guess this thread isn't for you. You've made clear your feelings, you want the thread closed and...until it does, you won't be happy.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I can understand that. But I think there is an impasse then isn't there? You feel as though this is another example of blatant double standards and there are quite a few who do not. It strikes me especially so given that ResetEra has to be one of the most progressive places, if not THE most progressive place when it comes to the discourse around video games.

I guess this thread isn't for you. You've made clear your feelings, you want the thread closed and...until it does, you won't be happy.
It's not really for you to say if this thread and the posts in it is okay or not.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly, nothing you said here is wrong. It's all true. But the simple fact is that double standard exist and sometimes we throw them aside because we just want to have fun. That's what's going on here. You're not wrong, it's just that its funnier to lust and laugh at giant women instead of lust over big breasted game characters since tall women aren't something you usually see whereas nearly every female game character is given large breasts to appeal to the male base.

Tall lady is funny because it doesn't appear to be designed as fetishization, but to be scary. However, Capcom unintentionally made it sexy. It'd be different if the character was designed to be sexy, chasing you around in a swimsuit with large breasts. Then the conversation would be totally different. Here, its seemingly unintentional and thus hilarious.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Is it up to the giant vampire lady?
This may be surprising to posters in this thread with all the boy's locker talk, but there are quite a few female posters on Resetera and these kind of threads aren't exactly very welcoming when there's a lot of posters just going waaaay over the line into creepy territory.

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly? Probably.

There is a bit of a difference between this thread and <insert random conceptual thread that's purely about giant tits here>
This is about a character in a new Resident Evil game that hasn't been shown off extensively yet, for what it's worth i was unaware that RE8 had a tall sexy vampire in it so i clicked into this thread purely out of curiosity and stayed for the memes and the silliness. So at the very least you can argue this thread has a certain value for it being informative. I'm not gonna sit here and try to debate what should be threadworthy and there is for sure a discussion to be had about the sexualisation of women and the "typical" pandering of that to cis heterosexual men that this is almost exclusively directed towards, a discussion that has probably occurred on here in some form a few times by now. But come on, there's no malice here in this thread, not everything needs to be so serious. There's no need for you or others to come in here acting as the moral arbiter for womenkind.

Tall lady is funny because it doesn't appear to be designed as fetishization, but to be scary. However, Capcom unintentionally made it sexy. It'd be different if the character was designed to be sexy, chasing you around in a swimsuit with large breasts. Then the conversation would be totally different. Here, its seemingly unintentional and thus hilarious.
Oh i think Capcom know exactly what they're doing. Resident Evil is famous for its characters that have an appeal beyond just being characters in a game, look at Chris Redfield (before they ruined him in RE7) and all the fanservice stuff around him as a prime example.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Not sure if I'd say it's unintentional. The Japanese myth has been around for awhile, and she has been jokingly sexualized as well (just Google "Hachishakusama" and you'll get a ton of fanart). I think Capcom knew exactly what they were doing. Making something creepy, but at the same time attractive.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
If this were a FROMsoftware game, her design would make even more sense.

Also, is it a Japanese thing to portray tall women with fancy hats? The example from Fatal Frame 5 posted in last page as well as a rendition of Bayonetta also follow this pattern.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
I'm loving the aesthetic of this game, every screenshot that I see make me even more hyped, so bring the tall vampire lady

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I mean I was giving my opinion on the matter. I have no authority here lol
I know you have no authority here but you aren't really affected by this issue and it's kind of annoying to see you dismiss this issue and say Resetera is progressive when you really don't know what this place is like if you are a woman? This is just another thread that's turned into a boy's locker room with posters going over the line and I'm tired of posters constantly downplaying it as fine.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
If this were a FROMsoftware game, her design would make even more sense.

Also, is it a Japanese thing to portray tall women with fancy hats? The example from Fatal Frame 5 posted in last page as well as a rendition of Bayonetta also follow this pattern.

Resident Evil 8 is reminding me of Bloodborne and Resident Evil 4 (my two favourite games of all time) and I'm loving it

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I posted it earlier in the thread, but they're based on a Japanese urban legend.

villains.fandom.com

Eight Feet Tall

The sound that informs people that Ms. Eight Feet Tall is near.Po. Ms. Eight Feet Tall (八尺様, Hachishaku-sama, also informally called Hasshakusama) is a type of main Japanese spirit (Yokai) that takes the form of an impossibly tall female specter often said to have a deep, masculine or feminine...

Oct 25, 2017
I know you have no authority here but you aren't really affected by this issue and it's kind of annoying to see you dismiss this issue and say Resetera is progressive when you really don't know what this place is like if you are a woman? This is just another thread that's turned into a boy's locker room with posters going over the line and I'm tired of posters constantly downplaying it as fine.

As a gay man, you are correct, I do not know what its like to be a woman in this site. No argument there. I am not dismissing the fact that sexualization of female characters is a plague and that you'd be a fool to think otherwise (Not YOU specifically of course, in a general sense). My perspective is coming from what the goal is when entering a thread such as this, stating your opinion, explaining your discomfort, and then being surprised when the discourse continues.

Another boys locker room comment strikes me however. Are there other threads of this nature here? A thread as suggested objectifying breasts?