• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polygon is reporting that a YouTube role-playing series has been completely cancelled due to a March 24th livestream in which a sexual assault scenario was livestreamed as part of this series:

twitter.com

adam koebel on Twitter

“An apology. https://t.co/5CX6NHT6JT”

twitter.com

adam koebel on Twitter

“I'm going to be taking some time off to reflect and work with an accountability partner on this, so my replies may be sporadic, for a time. All I ask is that you respect the privacy and wishes of the other cast members on this. Please don't harass or make demands of them.”

www.polygon.com

Role-playing YouTube series canceled after livestreaming sexual assault scenario

RollPlay’s Far Verona season 2 has been canceled, and the game master is stepping back from the hobby

The rise of "actual play" podcasts and livestreams have introduced more people than ever to how tabletop role-playing games actually work. Tens of thousands of viewers regularly log in to services like YouTube and Twitch to watch groups led by experienced Dungeon Masters and game masters (GMs) in real time. But, that kind of transparency also shows how quickly story lines can run completely off the rails. That's what happened in late March when a popular actual play program broadcast a scene involving sexual assault in front of a live audience.

The long-running series is called Far Verona, and uses the Stars Without Number ruleset. Part of the RollPlay network, its archives feature 90 episodes with nearly 250,000 on-demand views. Following the incident, however, the entire Far Verona cast has quit the show and the second season of the series has been canceled. The GM responsible for the scene says they are stepping away from RPGs for the time being and will seek counseling.

[Warning: This article contains a description of sexual assault.]

The Far Verona group was led by game master Adam Koebel, an award-winning game designer and the co-creator of the popular Dungeon World tabletop RPG system. Players included Mark Hulmes, Havana "Vana" Mahoney, Marcus "DJ" Wheat, and Elspeth Eastman. The incident of sexual assault took place on March 24 and involved Eastman's character, a synthetic human named Johnny Collins.

After suffering some damage, Johnny stopped by an old friend's place to get fixed up. Instead of performing the requested repairs, that old friend — a non-player character (NPC) performed by Koebel — committed an act of sexual assault. You can watch the scene play out on YouTube, where an archive of the livestream remains.

The reaction of the other players at the table while the scene plays out is telling. It appears that no one expected this storyline to go where it went.

On March 31, Koebel and RollPlay network creator JP "itmeJP" McDaniel returned to the RollPlay YouTube channel to address the incident. At the time, Koebel admitted he was at fault, and said it was a case of not properly maintaining safety at the table.

"We're no stranger to difficult situations," Koebel said during the segment. "Sometimes role-playing gets intense or difficult or someone narrates something that didn't land the way they anticipated. We've seen it plenty of times throughout the years, and usually when something like that happens we have the opportunity to discuss it on a break, or we take some time between episodes, and that sometimes means we need to correct or re-do a scene.

"We've done this before," Koebel continued. "Usually that's enough to ensure that the cast continues to move forward and feels comfortable and safe exploring the stories that we're telling. But, unfortunately, for whatever reason, we didn't put any safety measures in place to prevent that discomfort while it was occurring."

Many fans of the program, and also Eastman herself, felt that Koebel's statement fell short of an actual apology. More importantly, it seemed to understate the actual damage done. On April 2, Eastman recorded her own statement and published it to YouTube.

"I lost faith and trust in Adam as a GM, even after role-playing with him before," Eastman said. "Hell, I might have even lost faith in him as a friend. Adam continues to say that the game mechanics were not properly in place and that as a group we should have discussed this prior to starting the show. Sure, that's a good idea in hindsight. But if you need to have a talk with your cast beforehand that you're planning on introducing a sexual predator NPC to one of their characters I guarantee you not one person would be OK with that. Especially not in front of hundreds of people. This isn't a question about what could have prevented it when Adam's literally the one in charge."

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm not familiar with the show but as far as apologies go, that's what you want to see. I hope he puts the work in to do better in the future and I hope anyone effected by it is okay.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

The most basic rule for this shit is that you talk about anything remotely sexual with your group ahead of time, because you never know what might get to somebody.

But beyond even that, just don't do anything that could constitute sexual assault involving the players (and, really, NPCs). There's never any situation that would be appropriate for that you can't do better by doing literally anything else.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I'm not familiar with the show but as far as apologies go, that's what you want to see. I hope he puts the work in to do better in the future and I hope anyone effected by it is okay.

I've seen him on a few streams and he seems like a very genuine person. It's also a really weird DM decision to make. I'd really like to hear more about how it happened as a learning moment for everyone in tabletop.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not understanding what happened, or what goes on here.

So it's like a live play and they are physically acting? Is it DnD? Or is it like Livestream story improv?

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I will say you don't read many sincere apologies like that. Jeez though...
It should be noted that he's only making this "good" apology after waiting days after the original event (March 24) to make a bad apology (on March 31) and then people called him out on his bad apology and then waited more days and then finally put out this statement.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not understanding what happened, or what goes on here.

So it's like a live play and they are physically acting? Is it DnD? Or is it like Livestream story improv?
They are playing something like D&D and are streaming it to an audience. It's a thing that is really popular now.

It should be noted that he's only making this "good" apology after waiting days after the original event (March 24) to make a bad apology (on March 31) and then people called him out on his bad apology and then waited more days and then finally put out this statement.
Also, this "good" apology that everyone is tripping over themselves to praise now is the most generic thing possible. He does little to actually address what he did was wrong. He just says he's sorry a bunch, says he's going to do better, and that he's going to get help. A real apology would have directly covered what he did was wrong, so people (himself included!) know better in the future.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to Adam go into a ten+ minute tangent on why it was a good thing for RPG rules to have explicitly written rules about discussing what your group is comfortable with, it's surprising to hear this but he goes into that a bit in his apology. Understanding that something is right or wrong isn't always the same as recognizing it in the moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of hard for me to Understand but what I'm getting is that the GM makes scenarios which the "players" act out. I'm guessing that they don't know the scenarios ahead of time. But like did they actually go through with it or was there a time out or something called and they stopped

Former Far Verona cast member statement on why she quit Far Verona
OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to this, one former cast member of this series wasn't happy with the apology:

Many fans of the program, and also Eastman herself, felt that Koebel's statement fell short of an actual apology. More importantly, it seemed to understate the actual damage done. On April 2, Eastman recorded her own statement and published it to YouTube.

"I lost faith and trust in Adam as a GM, even after role-playing with him before," Eastman said. "Hell, I might have even lost faith in him as a friend. Adam continues to say that the game mechanics were not properly in place and that as a group we should have discussed this prior to starting the show. Sure, that's a good idea in hindsight. But if you need to have a talk with your cast beforehand that you're planning on introducing a sexual predator NPC to one of their characters I guarantee you not one person would be OK with that. Especially not in front of hundreds of people. This isn't a question about what could have prevented it when Adam's literally the one in charge."

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Wow I've watched pretty much all of these streamers. That is awful.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Ah, well that changes things then

Incident Livestream in question (Starts at approximately 1:16:07)

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Considering how hard Koebel himself advocated for Session 0 discussions and the amount of time spent on writeups on the subject, I'm completely shocked at how shitty of a job he did reading the room.

For those of you who need context, here's the clip in question.

Starts at about 1:16:07 onwards.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I uhhhhh can't understand why he didn't run this by...anyone?
That's just....good luck with that.

it's really odd... dudes been running games for how long? the thing is, as the GM you can't say we should have had safety protocols after the fact. As the GM you just don't do that shit . Really hard to forgive him, I can't imagine how the actual players felt.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's a serious lack of judgment to do that without first consulting with everyone beforehand. Major, major fuck up... The apology is as good as anything I've seen, though. Based only on that, he seems to be earnest in his desire to better himself as well as owning up to his mistake.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to Adam go into a ten+ minute tangent on why it was a good thing for RPG rules to have explicitly written rules about discussing what your group is comfortable with, it's surprising to hear this but he goes into that a bit in his apology. Understanding that something is right or wrong isn't always the same as recognizing it in the moment.
A good GM recognizes when a story beat is having a negative impact on their players.

He went on for a solid few minutes describing the incident before even getting to the point where it becomes explicitly sexual and you can already see his players reacting vividly with disgust because it's pretty clear what he's about to do. The moment his players started looking at him in shock should have been the moment that he should have recognized something was wrong and that he should have course corrected away from a simulated sexual assault.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah him blaming it on not having explicit parameters in place beforehand is a lame excuse. Get affirmative consent for sexual content or behavior if you want to include it in your interactions. This comes off as either truly toxic levels of ignorance or he actually thought it would be cool/fun and if it wasn't, better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission. Pretty alarming either way.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
A good GM recognizes when a story beat is having a negative impact on their players.

He went on for a solid few minutes describing the incident before even getting to the point where it becomes explicitly sexual and you can already see his players reacting vividly with disgust because it's pretty clear what he's about to do. The moment his players started looking at him in shock should have been the moment that he should have recognized something was wrong and that he should have course corrected away from a simulated sexual assault.

This plus it's late in season 2 of this show and he's got like a shit ton of experience as a GM. So there's just like really no excuse.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's really fucked up for a GM to spring that kind of content on an unsuspecting group (and audience) without their consent. Especially if it's as explicit as it sounds. Like, wtf.

Waypoint/Vice Games had a great article on the importance of consent in the tabletop space. GM, players, and, in this case, the audience all need to know exactly what they're getting into ahead of time and consent before jumping in. The paramount rule of roleplaying is control.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Depictions of sexual violence can have a place in fiction if it's handled well, but it's definitely something that you would want to make sure everyone is comfortable with before you start.

Doubly so if it's going to be happening to one of your player characters!

Most people probably don't want just sit there helplessly while your character is sexually assaulted by an NPC run by someone who you should trust (the GM)

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Depictions of sexual violence can have a place in fiction if it's handled well, but it's definitely something that you would want to make sure everyone is comfortable with before you start.

Most people probably don't want just sit there helplessly while your character is sexually assaulted by an NPC run by someone who you should trust (the GM)
It *can* have a place, but there's very few scenarios where it couldn't be done better by doing something else, and there's so very few people out there who could do it right that it might as well be something off the table in general.

But, as everyone is at least agreeing on, consent is the key thing here, and it's crazy that somebody who talked about it consistently before would so blindly not realize that this was 100% going to be something that was going to require consent from the group, much less the player being directly targeted.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hard for me to Understand but what I'm getting is that the GM makes scenarios which the "players" act out. I'm guessing that they don't know the scenarios ahead of time. But like did they actually go through with it or was there a time out or something called and they stopped

Think Dungeons and Dragons or similar RPGs. The players don't necessarily physically act it out; everyone describes what they do. The GM is responsible for driving the world and the setting and describes the actions of all the NPCs. In this case, he had an NPC sexually assault one of the players' characters, and the players were largely powerless since the game is ultimately dictated by the GM.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The whole safety protocol thing is bizarre to me. How about this guy just didn't have a sick mind? This is seriously gross the thought even crossed his mind.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how hard Koebel himself advocated for Session 0 discussions and the amount of time spent on writeups on the subject, I'm completely shocked at how shitty of a job he did reading the room.

gaaaaaawd this is awkward way to make everyone uncomfortable

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

The hope is that he's sincere and will actually learn from this, but how often does that ever really happen.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong eventually down the line.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

He seems more than a bit excited about including this.

Holy shit. Fuck off, dude...

Oct 25, 2017
Sex and table table roleplaying doesn't go together. It's always gross.

I feel like any DM initiated sex is basically sexual assault, and any between player characters is awkward gross exhibitionist garbage

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to lie, this went over my head. The guy talking sure can't seem to read the room, though. They all looked horrified.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
"Robots need love, too!" I mean sure, but if someone is role playing that robot, and you're equating their tune up to ending with an orgasm, maybe, MAYBE, consent should be part of that experience.

His apology seems sincere, and I'm not going to judge them on the video because it's understandable for someone to try to double down on their attitude with a non receptive audience as they're desperation sets in. But yeah that was just a terrible idea.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Considering all the videos I've watched of his regarding GM advice and making sessions a safe and welcoming place for everyone, this is truly shocking.

Usually for shit like this it's like "well not surprised really..." This might be the first time I'm ACTUALLY shocked to read something like this...

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
He seems more than a bit excited about including this.

Holy shit. Fuck off, dude...
It sounds like it's a joke he came up with the night before and was really excited to tell it so people would laugh, and then when they didn't, he realized maybe that was a mistake.

As someone who does DnD with a group, we get pretty raunchy so this stuff does happen in our games, but we set the tone pretty early on for it. Guessing he did not.

Edit: for the record that's just my read and I'm not defending him. Our private games =/= streamed on Youtube to a wide audience, so this wasn't okay.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to this, one former cast member of this series wasn't happy with the apology:

The description of the actual scene is very bizarre.

it's not, uh, well it made me rethink what could even constitute sexual assault for robot people

all around a weird, bad idea

Sex and table table roleplaying doesn't go together. It's always gross.

I feel like any DM initiated sex is basically sexual assault, and any between player characters is awkward gross exhibitionist garbage
Yeah, just don't do sex stuff at all

I'm not sure it has any place in a game

Y I K E S

This is actually a pretty explicit metaphor. Gross.

Last edited:

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019

Yeah I had to stop watching that before it ended. I haven't played too many tabletop games but when I first was reading all of this I was sort of confused and under the impression that this was maybe something stupid that happened that wasn't quite as big of an issue as it seemed but holy shit it was more of an issue and that was gross. What I just saw was almost like going up to random people and telling them sexual fantasies except here it's even fucking worse because people now have to outright play around in his gross ass ideas. Fucking disgusting

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been DMing D&D and other games since about 99 and somehow managed to not include rape in any form. And if a PC did end up sleeping with someone it was a fade to black moment.

Not that hard to do.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Last time I involved sexual violence in a game I talked to each player individually about it and as a group after to set ground rules and where to stop descriptions and such.

And this was when it was something that was going to happen to a NPC. I would never inflict that on one of the PCs. You are basically scaring that character forever.

If a GM did this to me I would have called him out the second he started implying what was going to happen. Sick shit, especially for someone who claims he is a safe GM.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The look on their faces the whole time just ups how uncomfortable this is. What a weird situation

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I've been DMing D&D and other games since about 99 and somehow managed to not include rape in any form. And if a PC did end up sleeping with someone it was a fade to black moment.

Not that hard to do.
I DM'd a game where all the players had a bisexual fivesome with a dwarf bartender and her husband. Nothing too explicit but did have them roll constitution to see how long they lasted.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the classiest way to handle it, and not hard. Props.
Yeah, like, I think the most I've ever gm'd beyond a fadeout was just asking the player in question, separate from anyone else, for a general sense of how they handled the act (ie: "hey, is your character, someone known for frequent casual sex, going to be sincere here or is this another notch in the belt?"), since it was actually going to be slightly important for the narrative. Even then, we very specifically avoided details because nobody wants that.