• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I look forward to Digital Foundry weighing in at any moment and putting all this to rest once and for all.

If their analysis is really negative will they too be attacked for being "wrong"? 🤔

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Why are people putting together The Witcher 3 with Overwatch on Switch?

The Witcher 3 is a great port, everyone has said so already. Overwatch is the problem.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Overwatch is too much for PC.
I don't understand the problem:

maxresdefault.jpg

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Horrible performance?? It is performing as you would expect, not stellar but not bad.

My Girlfriend and I have now over 15 hours combined on the switch version, and except for some Framerate drops everything is working perfectly.

The models not spawning issue is only in the warm ups nd happening on all platforms.

Are those reviews a take on criticising Böizzard without taking a real own stand on the Hong Kong issue?

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horrible performance?? It is performing as you would expect, not stellar but not bad.

My Girlfriend and I have now over 15 hours combined on the switch version, and except for some Framerate drops everything is working perfectly.

The models not spawning issue is only in the warm ups nd happening on all platforms.

Are those reviews a take on criticising Böizzard without taking a real own stand on the Hong Kong issue?

This and nothing else. People would think it's a bad port, while this isn't.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I look forward to Digital Foundry weighing in at any moment and putting all this to rest once and for all.

If their analysis is really negative will they too be attacked for being "wrong"? 🤔

How will DF know if the poor performance comes from a lack of resources for the Devs to make the most optimised experience possible or if the Switch's power is ultimately to blame?

Most times when I see threads about games performing poorly the blame is put on the devs but in this case it's the hardwares fault.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
I've had no character models spawning happening on PC a few times.

That usually happens because your hard drive is too full/too slow at loading models. It almost always goes away after loading up a match for the first time. I have a feeling it's like that because there are so many different skins in the game. Having an SSD also helps to alleviate this.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
How will DF know if the poor performance comes from a lack of resources for the Devs to make the most optimised experience possible or if the Switch's power is ultimately to blame?

Most times when I see threads about games performing poorly the blame is put on the devs but in this case it's the hardwares fault.

By comparing it to what other developers have managed, at a guess.

I.e. Paladins, in this case.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Performance wise, although it's not 60 fps, I've yet to have any hiccups happen at 30. Plays pretty smoothly even in handheld and on a wifi connection.

I've had the player model not load until a few seconds into the match, but that has happened on PS4 on my end as well.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Having not played either game, but at a glance they appear to be quite similar in scope and visual quality, what differences are there between Overwatch and Paladins to cause one to have significant performance issues but not the other?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
even if it was 30fps all the time, it would feel horrible to play if you played overwatch else where.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You missed the part where i say that the current hardware is good enough for porting games between current gen consoles...

You were agreeing with a guy who says Overwatch can be ported to 3DS and then went on to claim 360 games could of been ported to Wii in some state. You were loud and clear. VF2 on Genesis is some "state" and built from the ground up like you desire.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Have people analyzed if the game has better performance playing off of the internal storage rather than SD card? And maybe the quality of SD card can effect? Seems weird some are having big issues and some aren't

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You were agreeing with a guy who says Overwatch can be ported to 3DS and then went on to claim 360 games could of been ported to Wii in some state. You were loud and clear. VF2 on Genesis is some "state" and built from the ground up like you desire.

Lol no, i did agree that every game can be ported in a certain state.
But with the current situation, every game can be ported in an acceptable state (current gen).

For example gta 5 which did also released on PS3:

Is also the last thing i'm going to reply on that, we are way offtopic...

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Lol no, i did agree that every game can be ported in a certain state.
But with the current situation, every game can be ported in an acceptable state (current gen).

For example gta 5 which did also released on PS3:

Is also the last thing i'm going to reply on that, we are way offtopic...
GTA 5 was a developed for ps3/360 game later ported to the stronger consoles.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Can you really imagine NINTENDO of all fucking gaming companies, making a statement about a current situation?
Like directly or not?
They won't say or do shit

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
As much as I wanted to play things like Witcher 3 and Overwatch on my Switch, at some point I have to remind myself, "just because they CAN doesn't mean they SHOULD' lol

The Witcher 3 looks just horrible on the Switch, which I expected, but seeing it in person is something alright.

I have low hopes for Overwatch

lol I got jumped on pretty hard for that Jeff Goldblum quote and here you are with a Switch coming to that exact same conclusion.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Models not showing up is certainly a data transfer or memory issue.
I've been playing Overwatch since launch on PC and have never had an asset loading issue. I've always had the game on an SSD though.

Another reason I'm happy next gen consoles finally use SSD as a standard.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Not every game should come to the Switch. Pubs need to chill out.

Thank you!

This so much. I bought DOOM 2016 because of the 'technical' achievement and praises for it running on a Switch. It is one of the most terrible experiences playing a FPS. And having played the PC version on a 120hz display at a friend's place its like night and day. Even the base console versions for X1 and PS4 I'd would suggest playing before touching the Switch if possible. Same with Wolfenstein.

I'd rather developers create original titles on the platform rather than cram all that crap on this under-powered device that I love dearly and play to its strengths instead of weakening its current offerings in order to fit on this platform.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so defensive about this port? It's perfectly valid to call out a game for its technical shortcomings. I mean, I've had fun playing Revelations 2 on the Vita, but it's a flawed experience. Ports such as this or Doom and Wolfenstein will always be compromised experiences and some people will take issue with that. You can still enjoy these things without the knee-jerk reacting to others' perception.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Overwatch is a game designed for 60fps anything beneath that will provide for a inadequate experience.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Why are people so defensive about this port? It's perfectly valid to call out a game for its technical shortcomings. I mean, I've had fun playing Revelations 2 on the Vita, but it's a flawed experience. Ports such as this or Doom and Wolfenstein will always be compromised experiences and some people will take issue with that. You can still enjoy these things without the knee-jerk reacting to others' perception.

Probably because everything that's going on and opinions being skewed.

I played a couple rounds and I did not notice any issues but I'm not going to jump on my box and defend the port to the death. I pre ordered it when it was announced. It's fine for what it is, also had a faster time finding matches than I do on PC.

For people saying not everything needs to be ported to the switch.. If its an acceptable port why not? Some of us have busy lives and the switch is our main gaming experience to play on breaks or in between feeding our kids or while our families monopolize our computers or TV's. If we can live with the downgrades on these ports and have an enjoyable experience why does it hurt you so bad?

Thank you!

This so much. I bought DOOM 2016 because of the 'technical' achievement and praises for it running on a Switch. It is one of the most terrible experiences playing a FPS. And having played the PC version on a 120hz display at a friend's place its like night and day. Even the base console versions for X1 and PS4 I'd would suggest playing before touching the Switch if possible. Same with Wolfenstein.

I'd rather developers create original titles on the platform rather than cram all that crap on this under-powered device that I love dearly and play to its strengths instead of weakening its current offerings in order to fit on this platform.

I suggest doing your research before purchasing a game on hype on the future. Huge pet peeve, look at screen shots and video's know what your getting into. Going from PC to the switch version? I mean what were you expecting?

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Feel like there's a real feeling of Blizz hate being a hot topic going on here with this. I agree the game should be 60fps, Paladins handles it great, and it's certainly not the best way to play the game, but it's not shockingly bad. It's certainly not a bigger deal as something like the leap PUBG was on PC to console which few outlets outside of DF covered.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 days): excessive hostility against another member
I suggest doing your research before purchasing a game on hype on the future. Huge pet peeve, look at screen shots and video's know what your getting into. Going from PC to the switch version? I mean what were you expecting?

Oh fuck off with this BS, I swear that is like the go to defense and it never fails. Even if I didn't play the other versions, my OPINION WOULD STILL BE THE SAME. I was expecting something that didn't look and perform like complete shit/vaseline smeared on my Switch screen. There, you happy? I suggest you temper your need to defend such bullshit ports on a system that clearly can't handle them? hm?

"Huge pet peeve" like who the fuck are you that I give a fuck about your pet peeve?

Try having standards or something.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I haven't noticed any issues on my friends switch.

It's a weird take some have in this thread that if a game runs worse than a beefy PC it just shouldn't be made.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Is that why a similar game runs at twice the framerate? There is certainly room to improve the Switch version of Overwatch and I expect Blizzard to do so with patches. Even then, the game runs at 30fps more often then not and either the outlets have broken versions of the game or they are being extremely hyperbolic with their assessment of performance.

I'm going to assume the "similar" game you're talking about is the Witcher 3, which if it is, is not a good comparison point. Both are great looking titles normally, but Overwatch has waaaay more stuff going on at one time that could affect the framerate more than Witcher, and that's not even considering other potential factors from being an online game, which Witcher 3 isn't.

If you're talking about stuff like Paladins, then that's more debatable but I still feel like OW has more going on that could cause technical issues.

How is it reaching when in both articles they both say that they play OW a lot?

No the article itself was not good. It was either misinformation or just stating facts that we already knew, this Polygon article is certainly a little better.

Playing Overwatch doesn't automatically make you a Blizzard fan. I play a good amount of OW too and I'm not a Blizzard fan... Hell, OW is about the only Blizzard game I've liked. If they are fans though, I'd expect them to downplay the issues, instead of essentially calling it a technical meh port, which is what they basically did. That's why I called it reaching.

I agree that overall this Polygon article is better but I don't think the Kotaku one was bad or ill-intended to be misinformative.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Haha. The character load thing is funny. I've never had it get past the spawn room though.

Going from playing on PC daily to playing the Switch version has been interesting but I'm still diggin it. Playing it handheld is exactly what I wanted it to be, motion controls are aces for a console version.

Playing it docked leaves something to be desired for me fo sho. It feels muddy. I don't know how to explain it. Going to 30 fps slows it down, but there's something beyond that in docked mode. It's laggy in the menu's and feels generally unresponsive. I figure Blizzard will patch that.

Still do all my main Overwatch on PC. This is strictly Overwatch: Bedroom Edition for me and it's been killing it in that regard.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this weird soul looking orbs floating around at the beginning of the match was a Halloween event thing. I got those on PC as well.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Don't know how this is relevant? Building it from the ground will use most of the same assets & most code ...
Coverting a port will doing the same, but optimize everything so it could run.
Think for a second, if using "the same assets & most code" would work... Why would they be building a new game from the ground up instead of just porting it?

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017

Did Doom and Wolfenstein receive the same coverage for their compromised experiences? Not being snarky, I genuinely don't know.

I've played this version of Overwatch and Doom on the Switch (not Wolf though), and frankly Overwatch seems to be far less compromised vs Doom. I've played it on PS4 Pro, XBX and PC, and the Switch version is about what you'd expect graphics-wise.

No real issues with performance in the few hours I've played. Yeah, it runs at 30fps and doesn't look nearly as crisp, but nothing on the Switch does. It just seems pretty weak if outlets are trying to cash in on the Blizzard outrage with headlines like these, however justified said outrage is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck off with this BS, I swear that is like the go to defense and it never fails. Even if I didn't play the other versions, my OPINION WOULD STILL BE THE SAME. I was expecting something that didn't look and perform like complete shit/vaseline smeared on my Switch screen. There, you happy? I suggest you temper your need to defend such bullshit ports on a system that clearly can't handle them? hm?

"Huge pet peeve" like who the fuck are you that I give a fuck about your pet peeve?

Try having standards or something.

Yeah lol, people should buy blindly based on expectations, not footage.

Thank you for this slice of wisdom. There a margin between defense and common sense btw. I don't even plan to buy OW and I looked at footage to see how it performs, everyone should do this before buying a low-end port, I don't know what's so far fetched about that.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch is one of the more impressive Switch ports - these article makes it sounds like you are playing Call of Duty on Vita on DS.

No matter how great the review or reception - technical shortcoming are always a topic that has to be mentioned and that people expect -- see DF.
It's just worthless when it's framed as part of such a bias opinion piece.

The game delivered on what was shown off and unveiled at Day 1.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch is one of the more impressive Switch ports - these article makes it sounds like you are playing Call of Duty on Vita on DS.

No matter how great the review or reception - technical shortcoming are always a topic that has to be mentioned and that people expect -- see DF.
It's just worthless when it's framed as part of such a bias opinion piece.

The game delivered on what was shown off and unveiled at Day 1.

"impressive port"

Paladins runs at 60fps pretty flawlessly yet overwatch has issues at 30fps

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
It's a functional port that is ok. If you want portable overwatch it could be worse, but hand waving any criticisms of it is ridiculous.