• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
inb4 someone posts that boycott Modern Warfare 2 image with everyone in-game.

I wonder how many products people on this site buy from companies that do far worse than post some stupid opinions on Twitter.

But yeah, elbow five guys. This will fix eveything. We got her! Ban me for wrongthink, I don't even care.
this post sure ticks a lot of 'i can't hold in that i'm a reactionary dickhead anymore' boxes

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA

I wonder how many products people on this site buy from companies that do far worse than post some stupid opinions on Twitter.

But yeah, elbow five guys. This will fix eveything. We got her! Ban me for wrongthink, I don't even care.

Eh reckon you shouldn't really be banned for wrongthink as much as fuck off for not reading the issues at all and dropping your hot take about it.

You have no clue about the extent of Rowling's hatred given you put it as only "posting some stupid opinions on Twitter". It's clear you haven't been paying attention.

So... if you don't give a shit about the issue of hand as you've demonstrated, lemme ask you why the fuck you even bothered clicking this thread and wasting your time on writing this post. If it ain't a dealbreaker to you, why are you clicking a thread that is called "Why I'm not buying the Harry Potter game" and ignore the OP's content to drop this post. No one is forcing you to be here, so why the fuck are you?

Either way, on topic, fuck TERFs and fuck J.K. Rowling. I thought the article was really good and I hope it's in the threads about this game from here on out.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark

I'll probably get banned for "hostility towards another member" (regardless of whether they're arguing in bad faith or being a straight up bigot) if I posted what I really wanted.

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, when I see anybody Stanning for HP or JKR over this, I just assume they're a transphobe or not widely read (or both). HP books are bland, uninspired and rife with racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, classism and imperialism. Nobody should be writing Enid Blyton level shit in the 90s/2000s. At least Blyton has the defense of being a product of her time (but was still considered problematic then).

If you're so wrapped up in HP that boycotting it is a problem for you, you need to get out there and read more books. The Harry Potter books are really not that good.

Also don't be an asshole to trans people; they get treated poorly enough already.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much entirely agree with where this article is at.

You could argue that from your purchase, Rowling will receive but a sliver of a modicum of a drop in the ocean. You can try to counter-balance it/stifle any bad feelings by donating to a trans charity. But by buying this game you are unavoidably supporting a transphobic platform. So I won't be doing that. If I can't even commit to the minuscule sacrifice of forgoing a game, then what am I even doing.

"No ethical consumption under capitalism" is often waved around like a get out of jail free card, a weak cop-out used for ignoring things and never doing anything, as opposed to sometimes doing something to improve society somewhat.

All that's really going on here is the clashing motivations of "I want to play this game" vs "I want to show support for and solidarity with trans people."
Anything else is just excuses and rationalizing to try to not look bad for choosing the former.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Interesting article. I don't think the papa John's analogy stands up all that well.
This game is going to be a minor revenue stream for jkr, when stacked against the book, movie and TV sales. I don't think she will notice if people boycott it and I doubt people will attribute any disappointment in sales to the trans issue.
She is getting more flack recently, but we are nowhere near any kind of tipping point, where she is socially unacceptable. She is basically a national treasure in the uk.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Interesting article. I don't think the papa John's analogy stands up all that well.
This game is going to be a minor revenue stream for jkr, when stacked against the book, movie and TV sales. I don't think she will notice if people boycott it and I doubt people will attribute any disappointment in sales to the trans issue.
She is getting more flack recently, but we are nowhere near any kind of tipping point, where she is socially unacceptable. She is basically a national treasure in the uk.
It's less about money at this stage and more about the influence and weight given to her words by the ongoing growth and presence of the IP. Fans of it are being weaponised to help threaten trans rights and laws, as we've seen with the recent GRA reform largely being scrapped.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the hypothetical game pass issue, the money Rowling's gets in that scenario is likely much smaller than buying the game, but since exposure is more relevant here I'd still suggest avoiding it. Especially since even on the financial front how many people play it on game pass would certainly affect future contract negotiations with Microsoft. Even if the contract for this game was one and done payment, it might affect decisions about future Harry Potter games

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This wouldn't have been a problem if the superior Earthsea was being made into a game instead of stupid ass Harry Potter.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Good that websites speak about that.
I wish they can do the same with CP 2077 and all people here saying they won't buy the game won't buy CP 2077 either.

And of course others studio for others reason than transphobia, like Ubisoft.

Paine

Jan 6, 2018
I'm still shocked Sony showcased it at the PS5 event.
I was really hoping that at the end of the trailer they'd denounce her views, and I was let down when they didn't.

One of the saddest things is that I really don't think that the sales of this game are going to be affected that much. It'll still sell like crazy, because trans people don't receive the solidarity that they deserve from the general public. If she were openly homophobic she would have received a lot more backlash.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I was never attached to Harry Potter. I DID want an open world RPG--they don't make a lot those, and certainly not one where you get to be a mage or whatever. It sucks a little to lose out but man, I just can't do it. This feels different from Ubisoft or other cases, where the shitty people are some suits at the top but the people who do the grunt work are often good people. (And even then I'm buying it used.)

The primary creative force behind this game existing is Harry Potter. And the person who made Harry Potter isn't a good person. I'd rather do without. I've got my problematic faves, sure. But this isn't gonna be one of them.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
good article. it's time for everybody who's interested in the game to face the same choice

a) harry potter
b) your trans friends

you can't support both
I don't have any trans friends or even know any trans people.

I'm not buying this and the Harry Potter series is dead to me despite being a big part of my childhood.

Fuck JK and her disgusting views.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't even like Harry Potter but I always thought that the world would be interesting for exactly what this game is meant to be, and when it got leaked a few years ago I was pretty happy. But then JKR's transphobia became known and I dreaded the reveal of this game because I have trans friends and I would much rather support them then some transphobic shithead, and after things had been silent for the first half of the year, I was actually expecting to never hear from it. When it was revealed I felt nothing but an "oh, yeah, that exists" and an instant "I fucking hate that JKR is going to make boatloads of money off of this"

If the game is good, maybe I'll be able to pick up a used copy and play that a few years down the line, but to be honest I'm not even sure I'll be able to do that at this point. Harry Potter is just so fucking tainted now

Edit: Actually on topic, the article is a fucking amazing read and I agree with it

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Fuck J.K. Rowling & fuck TERFs, this game is an easy skip for me. A shame about the developers being caught in the middle. Like I said before, hopefully they can do their own IP or work with a property that isn't tainted next.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still shocked Sony showcased it at the PS5 event.
A combination of bad timing and probably having marketing obligations. From Sony's point of view this is more of a WB problem with their IP and the IP owner. The youtube views alone will probably keep them on board, unless things begin to escale.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I get it and fair enough.

But if we draw a line at JK Rowling comments, why aren't we also drawing lines with Nintendo, Sony, etc's being complicit in using China's concentration camps?

It's difficult to have hardline stances with this type of stuff, theirs no right answer. Like the last line of the article I can very easily flip it back to the author and say are you okay with a holocaust going on, with any other video game purchase? So yea I don't think theirs an easy answer but it's worth pointing this out.
I would file that under whataboutism

mickcenary

Oct 27, 2017
Bit of an aside, but does anyone else think it's a bit odd to pepper an article denouncing a game with pretty screenshots of the game in question? I mean, they're basically ads.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really, REALLY good article. The parts about contributing to Rowling's mindshare/presence in our cultural discourse are very well laid out. I actually got choked up reading this, especially on the part about re-watching childhood favorite shows and getting slapped in the face with the transphobic episode you forgot about.

Something about that makes the cut so much deeper. A thing that you shared your youth with has hate for you built-in. It's a special kind of both betrayal and a push toward apathy/surrender.

Game is an easy pass combined with a commitment to let every person who I can reach know that their purchase of it is literally harming trans folks.

And not just trans folks. Cis folks are hurt as well, whether they know it or not. Normalizing bigotry makes it harder for everyone to be healthy in their headspace.

Harry Potter didn't come from space, but I wish J.K. Rowling would go to it.

Hvabbdakur

May 10, 2018
Honestly, when I see anybody Stanning for HP or JKR over this, I just assume they're a transphobe or not widely read (or both). HP books are bland, uninspired and rife with racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, classism and imperialism. Nobody should be writing Enid Blyton level shit in the 90s/2000s. At least Blyton has the defense of being a product of her time (but was still considered problematic then).

If you're so wrapped up in HP that boycotting it is a problem for you, you need to get out there and read more books. The Harry Potter books are really not that good.

Also don't be an asshole to trans people; they get treated poorly enough already.
Honestly, as a transwoman, I found this post somewhat insulting? Yes, I am wrapped up enough in Harry Potter to have a problem, here. I grew up on Harry Potter. It was my THING. No matter how hurt, betrayed, and appalled I am, something that central to my growing up can't just be thrown away. Emotionally, this has a huge impact on me, and where I'm at in terms of going forward is extremely complicated, and getting rid of my books or not playing the game isn't what I've decided. Don't insinuate that I'm not well read because I'm having a hard time with a deep parasocial relationship going toxic and abusive.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Two very good threads for cleaning up trash on page 1 tonight, nice.

Great article. Very glad to see this sentiment from people with platforms.

Fuck that TERF and fuck her legacy.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
seriously, y'all: it's pretty simple

JK Rowling is a bigot leading a reactionary movement that has substantially hurt trans people

she is INTIMATELY intertwined with the Harry Potter universe. her creation, her intellectual property which she has guarded jealously, her source of influence and wealth

don't fuzzy this up with questions about the ethics of the global supply chain or whatever. "no ethical consumption under capitalism" doesn't mean there aren't pretty easy lines to draw, pretty obvious instances to exercise your conscious consumer who doesn't put playing a video game above all else muscle

no matter how cool this game looks, that Harry Potter association should really drive you to reach deep, however deep you need to go to get there, and just decide that you'll spend ~$60 on some other cool looking game(s) instead

(or, at the very least, buy this game used)

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, as a transwoman, I found this post somewhat insulting? Yes, I am wrapped up enough in Harry Potter to have a problem, here. I grew up on Harry Potter. It was my THING. No matter how hurt, betrayed, and appalled I am, something that central to my growing up can't just be thrown away. Emotionally, this has a huge impact on me, and where I'm at in terms of going forward is extremely complicated, and getting rid of my books or not playing the game isn't what I've decided. Don't insinuate that I'm not well read because I'm having a hard time with a deep parasocial relationship going toxic and abusive.
It's fine to like and have a deep attachment to the Harry Potter books. I'm just saying it's wrong to put them up as some great pillar of Western culture that somehow renders JKR immune to criticism over her bigotry. The Harry Potter books had a lot of problematic themes and content when the were written, and this is only exacerbated by JKR's toxic behaviour since. There are plenty of there books, movies and games out there to enjoy that don't support a flagrant bigot.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

But if we draw a line at JK Rowling comments, why aren't we also drawing lines with Nintendo, Sony, etc's being complicit in using China's concentration camps?

It's difficult to have hardline stances with this type of stuff, theirs no right answer. Like the last line of the article I can very easily flip it back to the author and say are you okay with a holocaust going on, with any other video game purchase? So yea I don't think theirs an easy answer but it's worth pointing this out.

You draw the line yourself. There's no ethical consumption under capitalism, so it's whatever you're personally okay with. As long as you're being honest with yourself and understand what your resources are potentially empowering, then the rest is simply up to personal comfortability.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You draw the line yourself. There's no ethical consumption under capitalism, so it's whatever you're personally okay with. As long as you're being honest with yourself and understand what your resources are potentially empowering, then the rest is simply up to personal comfortability.
Agreed. We all "participate in a society," but even given that, we can still make incremental progress in the ways that matter most to us.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. We all "participate in a society," but even given that, we can still make incremental progress in the ways that matter most to us.

Yeah, it's like, just call a spade a spade. No need to get all cute about it. Solidarity is an extremely tough thing, even more so for a minority community. Most people will only passively support a cause that doesn't directly impact them, if they will even support at all.

Don't gotta fake the funk and try to use "the developers" as moral justification to consume something problematic. Own up to it, and do what you think is the right thing. People are free to criticize you thusly.

Moral relativism is a crutch people use to never have to consider that their actions may have consequences.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
Im not normally one for letting things get in the way of my freelance work but I straight up turned down reviewing this on behalf of an outlet.

A lot of people I have talked too dont want their name against a review for the title and many of them love the IP.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fantastic piece, with some very well-constructed arguments and which does a great job of addressing all the usual points and arguments people make to try and defend the game. Fully worth reading 100% of the way through, because yeah, does a wonderful job of covering most of the fundamentals here in great and easy to understand ways, even for those who might be starting off from a place of being completely unfamiliar with any of this stuff.
I think this describes the situation well. I will be passing on it.

Same with this Twitter thread; absolutely great stuff.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's like, just call a spade a spade. No need to get all cute about it. Solidarity is an extremely tough thing, even more so for a minority community. Most people will only passively support a cause that doesn't directly impact them, if they will even support at all.

Don't gotta fake the funk and try to use "the developers" as moral justification to consume something problematic. Own up to it, and do what you think is the right thing. People are free to criticize you thusly.

Moral relativism is a crutch people use to never have to consider that their actions may have consequences.

The bolded is such a succinct and accurate statement that I have to ask: Are you paraphrasing someone here or are you just really good at expressing ideas? Or a bit of both?

Whatever the case, I concur.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, fuck JK Rowling. Any future engagement with Harry Potter or any of her works is gone for me.
Say it louder for the people in the back. This issue doesn't even require nuance. She is literally making the lives of trans folks worse.

Like, you have to be a monster to agree with ANY part of anything she has said.

Is this real life?

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
It's a damn shame that it's come to this. She created such a magical and wonderful world to escape to and then completely tore it down with absolutely no regard. It's embarrassing to see people jump through mental hoops to justify supporting this vile person in any way shape or form.

There is no path of playing this game that doesn't lead to hurting trans people. Even pirating and never talking about playing it still leads to a justification of participating in the creation of an absolute garbage human being.

Harry Potter will always be important to me and my childhood, but her actions have forever spoiled something that I held so close to my heart for more than half my life.

I will never play this game.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Wonderful article & I'm happy to see so many people in agreement over not buying the game/supporting JKR. I do wish some industry people/websites would take hard stances & straight-up say they won't review it. But I guess that's too much to ask. Either way, get fucked, JKR.

www.resetera.com

Lorne Lanning(oddworld creater) Twitter feed

So I noticed 8chan had a twitter feed and noticed Lorne Lanning out of the hundreds I follow in the industry was the only one following them. Obviously following them doesn’t mean you like them as a lot of people follow certain people and don’t like them. But then I had a look at his likes. He...

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful article & I'm happy to see so many people in agreement over not buying the game/supporting JKR. I do wish some industry people/websites would take hard stances & straight-up say they won't review it. But I guess that's too much to ask. Either way, get fucked, JKR.

www.resetera.com

So I noticed 8chan had a twitter feed and noticed Lorne Lanning out of the hundreds I follow in the industry was the only one following them. Obviously following them doesn’t mean you like them as a lot of people follow certain people and don’t like them. But then I had a look at his likes. He...
Every one of us who speaks out against this game might affect one other person. That's progress.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia

www.resetera.com

Easy game to pass on, thanks for the info.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Sigh... the game is going to sell like hot cakes. There is no escaping that, just look at the views and like/dislike ratio. I just hope that Avalanche at least puts something, anything in the game to at least draw attention to this stuff

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017

Actually there is a right answer, and it would be to stop gaming. We just choose to do what we feel we can do about it. As some have mentioned, a Harry Potter game is an easy skip, but maybe for some people, stopping gaming entirely is just too hard.

Pretty much any economy nowadays lean on shady practices, some we can't avoid and have to participate in to survive, and others like the gaming and tech industries we choose to participate, consequently supporting slave labor.

It's all about choices and what is feasible to an individual, and how closely this individual relates to a problem. Personally, I can skip a Harry Potter game. Is it embarassing that I'm still gaming in spite of how the industry behaves? Yes. It's sad but that's just the right answer.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Till now the reception has been mostly positive. I wonder whether her association will have a bearing on the reviewers. I am sure some will take that into consideration.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I can't even slightly imagine wanting to buy this or anything Harry Potter related. As someone with a trans sister, I seriously don't want to give a cent to someone who would flat out say that my sister doesn't deserve the same rights or deserved to be treated the same as any other woman.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
So I'm almost 37 and didn't hit the Harry Potter thing. Weirdly as a fantasy fan I always meant to read the books and/or watch the movies. Had always planned to. Obviously now I don't feel that need at all as many others have stated.

I feel for the people who grew up loving this shit and in a world where Rowling wasn't disgusting would be looking forward to this more than any other game. It's not my place to judge someone who buys a game as I've undoubtedly bought games with problematic issues before as a long time gamer like we all have.

I can't do it though. I can't even think about Harry Potter anything now without thinking of how hateful she is.