• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 22, 2020
White officers just happen to be the majority of the police forces, and police forces are plagued by systemic racism.

I'm not even taking the "are only white people racist" bait, sorry.

Good job dodging me showing you that corrupt police forces are a worldwide issue by the way.
It was bait to be sure, but perhaps a taste of the same medicine:
1. You nitpick me for making a generalization/simplification.
2. In the same post, you make a generalization about white police officers.
3. I frame a ridiculous question that exposes the flawed logic behind your generalization.
4. You call out the ridiculousness of the question and unconsciously prove my point.

But if all you really want is for me to redact my previous statement... Fair enough, corrupt law enforcement is not exclusive to the USA. You got me.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
This entire fucking discussion is about politics

how you gonna try and tone police a minority about saying acab and then cry about how people are making this political

Apologies but my intent wasn't to tone police and you are likely reading my post wrong. I did not tone police and I certainly was not crying about anything. Possibly my issue was the use of the word "here" when mentioning how everything becomes a game of politics. That wasn't aimed at "ERA". It was aimed at the US.

I was responding to the poster saying the reason why Nintendo removed it was for swear words and not just politics and we know because Sony have done the same while other acronyms such as BLM are allowed. My words about everything being based in politics is my own personal observation as American and the state of our country and it's government. When saying things such as "we even managed to make a virus political" that can be traced directly the our current administration and it has a ripple effect all throughout the countries citizens, especially supporters of the current administration

Again apologies if my post was interpreted wrong as I don't intend to try and tone police anyone.

You are always welcome to browse my post history to see I'm not doing anything like what you accused me of.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Why do you genuinely think any of these companies care? Or that you expected better for them? They're corporations. They literally do not give a fuck about social injustices or anything like that. Remember when all the companies came out in "support" of BLM and then as soon as it stopped making headline news, where did they go?
Fair point. I just remember Sony delaying their PS5 event and speaking out about it where Nintendo was silent for over a week, I believe. They're all the same I guess. Sad

Jun 2, 2019

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Police reform isn't fucking happening until we stop treating cops as anything more than the state-sponsored gangs they are. People weren't listening to the abuse happening until protesters took off the kids' gloves.
This is unhelpful. Systemic racism in an organisation doesn't mean all of its members are worthy of censure and beyond redemption. Police still do very challenging life threatening work. Some of them do it in ways that deserve imprisonment. Not all of them do. You're sounding like the right wingers on Facebook who cant do nuanced and thoughtful argumentation.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory comparison between racism and criticism of police violence
I'm always surprised when I see the support of generalizations such as "all cops are bastards". It's barely a step away from saying all "insert race" are bastards or all "insert religion" are bastards. You're barely better than those people. In the NeoGaf days I would have gotten banned for a post like this so we'll see how this goes. I'm speaking from the position of having a family member In the police department. He's as liberal as they come and is just as outraged as all of us regarding the recent videos and stories. He goes out every day actively trying to enact positive change. He's not a bastard and I personally take offense to the double standard.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna
I'm always surprised when I see the support of generalizations such as "all cops are bastards". It's barely a step away from saying all "insert race" are bastards or all "insert religion" are bastards. You're barely better than those people. In the NeoGaf days I would have gotten banned for a post like this so we'll see how this goes. I'm speaking from the position of having a family member In the police department. He's as liberal as they come and is just as outraged as all of us regarding the recent videos and stories. He goes out every day actively trying to enact positive change. He's not a bastard and I personally take offense to the double standard.
It's 2020

STOP COMPARING A FUCKING JOB TO A RACE OF PEOPLE

THEY CHOSE TO BE POLICE. I DIDNT CHOOSE TO BE BLACK

and honestly fuck your family member, if they were as liberal as they come they wouldn't stay in a system that's designed to beat and slaughter people like me

Deleted member 54170

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 25, 2019

This. Generalizations are bullshit and dumb

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Everybody coming up with a million reasons why ACAB was banned, but are silent as to why MAGA is allowed

funny

The same reason my country helped Donald's appointee to the BID. When the president of the USA handles the country like his own company, you simply do not mess with him. Ban MAGA and lets see Trump asking for bans and whatnot. Still remember tiktok? The tire company a few weeks ago? This is an issue with you political system and capitalism.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017

The fuck? ACAB is a judgement on the system. Not so much each individual cop. If you work for a system that's systemically racist knowing this, then you fall in line with them. This is absolutely NOTHING like being racists or xenophobic.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Law enforcement is a chosen occupation, with protections (and an intentional lack of accountability) that enable the continued fucking oppression of the poor and minority groups. By oppression, I mean specifically the continued extrajudicial murder of non-violent civilians.

Fuck outta here with comparing it to racism or religious persecution.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I understand why some are initially put off by ACAB, especially if they have family members who are cops but please do not compare a job to a religion or a race.

I believe your family member may be a good person, trying to do the right thing but ACAB is not about the quality of individual humans but the systematic issues that protect, create, nurture and employ racist, murderous cops and disincentivize anyone that would dare to challenge or speak out against those behaviors.

Again- race and profession are not the same. Try not to compare them.
People don't get to chose the color of their skin as a career.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

So people saying ACAB are barely better than racists? ok...

And if your family member is really a good one, he would know that the institution is fucked and deserves all the criticism it gets.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
I'm speaking from the position of having a family member In the police department. He's as liberal as they come and is just as outraged as all of us regarding the recent videos and stories. He goes out every day actively trying to enact positive change. He's not a bastard and I personally take offense to the double standard.

"as liberal as they come" lmfao nah

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck the Police.

Just so we are clear, I mean all of them. And just to add further nuance, the police are an arm of the state and they never ever choose the people over the protection of property or positions of power.

That is who yall are going to bat for. Lmao. And people say this is a left leaning site. Granted this is gaming side.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
This. Generalizations are bullshit and dumb

all cops are bastards and their bootlickers are too

Jun 2, 2019
I'm not gonna

It's 2020

STOP COMPARING A FUCKING JOB TO A RACE OF PEOPLE

THEY CHOSE TO BE POLICE. I DIDNT CHOOSE TO BE BLACK

and honestly fuck your family member, if they were as liberal as they come they wouldn't stay in a system that's designed to beat and slaughter people like me
Law enforcement is a chosen occupation, with protections (and an intentional lack of accountability) that enable the continued fucking oppression of the poor and minority groups. By oppression, I mean specifically the continued extrajudicial murder of non-violent civilians.

Fuck outta here with comparing it to racism or religious persecution.

You guys are missing the point, or not explaining yours properly

The fuck? ACAB is a judgement on the system. Not so much each individual cop. If you work for a system that's systemically racist knowing this, then you fall in line with them. This is absolutely NOTHING like being racists or xenophobic.

Now, this is another thing entirely, however, in this very thread there are people here judging police as individuals and using this generalization on them not as a system or organization, but on the fact that they're cops.

We lose sight of our objective and end up with posts like these

Fuck the Police.

Just so we are clear, I mean all of them. And just to add further nuance, the police are an arm of the state and they never ever choose the people over the protection of property or positions of power.

That is who yall are going to bat for. Lmao. And people say this is a left leaning site. Granted this is gaming side.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Eeeeeeeeh no, it has been already said that it's because it doesn't contain any swear word

WTF is also banned

This isn't a political stance like some of you guys are trying to make it look like, it's just swearing.

I think people get that. At least I hope they do, I dont agree with MAGA being allowed because of whats its come to stand for, but I get that its the swearing that they are banning.

The issue is I wish they would put more thought into what they banned instead of some 1960s styled "swearing is bad, but dogwhistle nazi'ism are a-okay because it doesn't use a naughty word". Is that likely to happen with these gaming companies? Probably not, unless they are extremely pressured.

But its not that people don't "understand". They just wish the bar was higher.

Jul 24, 2020

It really doesn't matter how "liberal" he is if he is actively participating as a key enforcer of an unjust system.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017

Lol, your bastard cop family member has first-hand seen police brutality, if not outright participated in it. He's not outraged about shit, he knew and always has.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It was bait to be sure, but perhaps a taste of the same medicine:
1. You nitpick me for making a generalization/simplification.
2. In the same post, you make a generalization about white police officers.
3. I frame a ridiculous question that exposes the flawed logic behind your generalization.
4. You call out the ridiculousness of the question and unconsciously prove my point.

But if all you really want is for me to redact my previous statement... Fair enough, corrupt law enforcement is not exclusive to the USA. You got me.
I seek no conflict with you or to belittle you.

My only goal was to show that corruption is a worldwide issue. I could have done so in a less snarky manner.

Will he report a fellow officer who commits a crime though?

The supposed "good" police who protect the "bad" police are a major cog in what allows the rampant systemic corruption to continue unabated.

Equating calling out the police force to racists and xenophobes? Get some perspective friend

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Now, this is another thing entirely, however, in this very thread there are people here judging police as individuals and using this generalization on them not as a system or organization, but on the fact that they're cops.

That's a mistake.

no it's not a mistake, cops as an institution have always been racist bastards

jacobinmag.com

“Policing Is Fundamentally a Tool of Social Control to Facilitate Our Exploitation”

The brutality we have repeatedly seen meted out by American police all over the country isn’t a bug of our political-economic system — it’s a feature.

Ultimately policing is about maintaining a system of private property that allows exploitation to continue. It has been a tool for facilitating regimes of exploitation since the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century. When most modern police forces were formed, those regimes were colonialism, slavery, and industrialization. Policing emerged to manage their consequences — to suppress slave revolts, to put down colonial uprisings, to force the working class to behave as a stable workforce that doesn't act out.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
You guys are missing the point, or not explaining yours properly

That's a mistake.

Bullshit. If you work for a systemically racist job that "follows orders" to further their racist goals, then you are indeed a bastard. Fuck the police.

Jun 2, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns around systemic racism, prior ban for the same infraction
Please identify the miscommunication in saying "COP IS NOT A RACE", especially in discussions about how police beat and murder BIPOC.

His point is that police, as an institution, is worthy of ACAB, but cops, as individuals, not necessarily

He failed to get his point across because he used "Race", wich blinded you. Understable, but wrong.

The fuck are you talking about?

I dunno. What are you talking about?

Fuck the Police.

Nope, sorry. You lose sight of the individuals, you lose all your nuance.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

There's no nuance here. No one is born a cop, people choose this job knowing that they will need to follow orders form the govt, and they aren't 100% made of great people with great intentions.

They can have good intention at the beggining, but years after and still trying to "change the system from the inside"?

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT

Your critical thinking skills are as horrendous as your family member's. If he wants to do something positive he can resign.

It's always bizarre to see people defending shutting down others' point of view. If you find ACAB offensive (it's not) why don't you just make your own nickname all cops are great and let other people have their own views.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is unhelpful. Systemic racism in an organisation doesn't mean all of its members are worthy of censure and beyond redemption. Police still do very challenging life threatening work. Some of them do it in ways that deserve imprisonment. Not all of them do. You're sounding like the right wingers on Facebook who cant do nuanced and thoughtful argumentation.
After I watched a crowd of peaceful protesters get bombarded by tear gas a couple streets from where I work, I lost my patience for this nonsense. Individual cops can think about redemption when the system they choose to work under changes. Until then, all cops are bastards.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Both these bans are nonsensical.

His point is that police, as an institution, is worthy of ACAB, but cops, as individuals, not necessarily

He failed to get his point across because he used "Race", wich blinded you. Understable, but wrong.

I dunno. What are you talking about?

Lmao fuck off.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Reinhardt Schneider

Whatever you "think" the objective actually is (and I am sure whatever yours is it shares 0 likeness to mine) I guarantee you it will never be reached by giving a fuck about someone's beloved auntie in the police force who bakes them cookies but also picks up the riot gear and beats the shit out of protesters when the Lt says "Annnnnd GOOOOOO"

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm sorry, but I can't in good conscience say ACAB. I agree that major change and reform needs to happen. The system is corrupt. That being said, this acronym shouldn't be the rallying cry because if it truly is talking about the system and not each individual, then it's not well thought out. We need a different rallying cry/acronym and I think Nintendo is justified here.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
There's no nuance here. No one is born a cop, people choose this job knowing that they will need to follow orders form the govt, and they aren't 100% made of great people with great intentions.

They can have good intention at the beggining, but years after and still trying to "change the system from the inside"?

This^^ A "good" cop would have quit their job by now.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
You guys ignoring the real news here.

The Switch is finally getting more stability!

Rejoice!

Deleted member 54170

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account

I know that worldwide cops have a big problem with racism. But I stand by my point that generalizations are dumb.
But I know that on this forum it is ok to post generalization insults as long it goes against, whites, heteros and men.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

yes, the people who've have enough of the bullshit cops do/have done sound exactly like the people who love what the cops do. makes sense