• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I think you have it backwards lol.
Motion controls: Nintendo
Touch screen gaming: Nintendo
Portable consoles: Nintendo
Controller vibration: Nintendo
2D Platformers: Nintendo
3D Platformers: Nintendo

The list goes on and on.

If you are saying they are behind in online stuff, then sure.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
probably the contents of a pie chart should represent the various amounts of a whole , ie 100 percent of a pie. This is two different things being measured in one pie. Makes no sense

Yeeeeeeeah that makes sense, every slice of the circle should be a distinct part of the same whole. Thank you!

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Online infanstructure? Yes theyre 0robably more that 15 years behind on that.

In terms of their hardware and games? Not at all (outside of being less powerful, but thats cause its alßo a handheld)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Nintendo has competitive advantages that appeal to many people
Sony has competitive advantages that appeal to many people
Microsoft has competitive advantages that appeal to many people

Nintendo isn't "behind" at all, let alone by a decade (FOH lol). They have their own strengths that many, many people love. They also have weaknesses that many, many people wish weren't there. They have been successful in their vision and execution of being a console maker. Come on, Polygon. This is the absolute basics of how businesses operate. It's like a negative-400 level course lesson.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Always love a good honey trap thread.

What's a dad simulator? Is it a games like farming and truck simulator?
I've called it the Sad Dad game in the past. A whoooole lotta video games came out in the last decade or so featuring a middle-aged father/husband figure who is dealing with the trauma of dead, dying, missing, or otherwise debilitated wife and/or kids. Their character arc is always "I'm sad and emotionally disconnected from everyone" to "I'm still sad but now I've bonded with someone."

Probably because all the higher-up creative positions in the industry are filled with 40-50 year old dudes who grew up watching old Clint Eastwood movies with their dads.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I like how someone omitted details of a scumbags sex in a title over at offtopic as a litmus test to see who read the OP, when they could've of waited a day and see a lighthearted video do it much better.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Would love to see Link and Mario knock up Zelda and Peach so we can have Nintendo's version of a dad simulator.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Nice video but obviously meant to be clickbaity as fuck and send Nintendo fanboys into a tizzy.

Just a question, but why do Nintendo fans love to watch stuff where their favorite company gets skewered? Are they just that masochistic?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's online infrastructure and features are actually more like 15 years behind.

I feel like the original Xbox had features on Live that the Switch doesn't in 2020. For sure XBL was better than Switch online when the 360 came out. Nintendo is leaving a ton of money on the table by not being able to get services right.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
mario_kart_sales_releative_to_platform.jpg
Mario Kart is irrelevant

Jan 10, 2018
Nice video but obviously meant to be clickbaity as fuck and send Nintendo fanboys into a tizzy.

Just a question, but why do Nintendo fans love to watch stuff where their favorite company gets skewered? Are they just that masochistic?

You have people here defending Nintendo and attacking them. Think it is fair to say that console warriors exist, but what do I know

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Always love a good honey trap thread.

I've called it the Sad Dad game in the past. A whoooole lotta video games came out in the last decade or so featuring a middle-aged father/husband figure who is dealing with the trauma of dead, dying, missing, or otherwise debilitated wife and/or kids. Their character arc is always "I'm sad and emotionally disconnected from everyone" to "I'm still sad but now I've bonded with someone."

Probably because all the higher-up creative positions in the industry are filled with 40-50 year old dudes who grew up watching old Clint Eastwood movies with their dads.
Also said old dudes never bonded with their own kids because of studio crunch.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Now it is a good time to observe this. Industry is moving from hardware to ecosystems. MS started last year, Sony is rumored to be bringing their games on PC and remote play on Switch. Does Nintendo respond to this?

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Checks out. They still make incredible games, but viewing them as a platform maker alongside the others is highly comical really. They've finally got online games and account systems at least a decade+ behind PS and Xbox, but their online service has actually gone backwards in many ways since the 3DS and WiiU.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Gyro controls in Splatoon, basically every refinement of open world games in BOTW, haptic rumble, touch screen/pad controller, whatever hybrid gaming setup the Switch is...you can argue nintendo are behind the curve in areas (hi online) but polygons argument that Nintendo doesn't take risks is silly. Look at ring fit or Labo or the Wii U, they're constantly trying shit that no one else is

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
It's a bit weird honestly. They're the kings of hardware innovations but are close to zero in terms of software innovations. They're sitting on piles of cash but focusing only on low-budget AA-sized teams with low expectations of 2-3 million sales per title. They are not looking to expand their teams - their biggest games are mostly outsourced to other studios (BotW chara modeling was outsourced to Monolith for example), nor trying to make smaller, more experimental titles internally. To me they're exactly in between Indies and AAA, taking none of each's advantages.

It does not matter, there games + features are unique and some of the best.

I think that's why it's so frustrating for many of us. They could literally take the best of what their competition is doing, and apply their own unique approach to game design.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
You'd be amazed how much less that other stuff matters when you make captivating hardware and consistently high quality games.

Not saying those things don't matter, but the rest of the industry has basically moved away from distinguishing hardware features which means that it's mandatory for them to be constantly evolving on the online front to set themselves apart. The Switch just has to be itself and play those great games it has. It's a reason besides quality that software attach rates are so high for the console.

Feb 10, 2018
It's a bit weird honestly. They're the kings of hardware innovations but are close to zero in terms of software innovations. They're sitting on piles of cash but focusing only on low-budget AA-sized teams with low expectations of 2-3 million sales per title. They are not looking to expand their teams - their biggest games are mostly outsourced to other studios (BotW chara modeling was outsourced to Monolith for example), nor trying to make smaller, more experimental titles internally. To me they're exactly in between Indies and AAA, taking none of each's advantages.

I think that's why it's so frustrating for many of us. They could literally take the best of what their competition is doing, and apply their own unique approach to game design.

Yeah I could see this being an issue for people who play mp on there switch a lot.
I spend nearly all my switch time on single player.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
A decade behind is being generous, they've still not given rudimentary features that have been standard on consoles since 2005 with Xbox 360. The fact that there's no basic in-console messaging, chat, or other absolute basic features is just pathetic in 2020.

All of this is is just so irritating, the Switch itself would damn near perfect if they'd just stop resisting change and actually adapt when it comes to the online realm.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused. I can't tell if the video is supposed to come off jokingly. I can't tell if the reaction the title is getting is the one they are going for. I can't tell if the video sincerly thinks Nintendo is behind by 10 years but it's mostly a good thing. I do know I never want to think about dad Mario again.

Oct 26, 2017

Monolith Software is a Nintendo studio and most games have a lot of their work outsourced, AAA or otherwise. As for lacking in experimental or unique games, I suppose if you discount games like Splatoon, Arms, Astral Chain, and Ring Fit Adventure or even bigger games like Super Mario Odyssey, sure. If they're close to zero when it comes to software innovations, than hardly any big publisher has any software innovation

That's what they're already doing; applying their own unique approach to game design. That's what they've been doing since God knows how long

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or another take could be that Nintendo is a example of how customers view a lot of the "progress" and feature bloat in modern gaming as unnecessary to their enjoyment.

The Switch has online features on par with the PSP. Customers dont really care.
I think people do care but nintendo is so inept at online that it's known they are going to screw it up

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Are people ITT taking an obviously satirical video seriously or are they all in on the joke, attempting to add another layer?

I can't wait for the idea of MTX as Battlepasses and Seasons to be added to Brain Training, personally.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Nintendo has actually stated that they're no longer chasing that. I think it was last year's annual investors meeting.

No, what they said was that their focus is no longer on expanding the gaming population since it's already expanded as much as it could've basically. Their focus will now be on why you should care about Nintendo over other entertainment brands by offering counter-software and expanding the reach of their IP. It's business as usual for Nintendo, they've just better define what exactly they are in the current market.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused. I can't tell if the video is supposed to come off jokingly. I can't tell if the reaction the title is getting is the one they are going for. I can't tell if the video sincerly thinks Nintendo is behind by 10 years but it's mostly a good thing. I do know I never want to think about dad Mario again.
I'm sure the video that suggests VR Survival Horror featuring Kirby is really serious.