• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

Can someone explain the problem with this graphic to me? It always gets posted but I've never understood the problem. It makes sense as a visual representation of the insane attach rate of MK to Nintendo consoles. What's the problem?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Don't give them the clicks.

Can someone explain the problem with this graphic to me? It always gets posted but I've never understood the problem. It makes sense as a visual representation of the insane attach rate of MK to Nintendo consoles. What's the problem?
It's been awhile, but the article in question as I recall was about why MK8 wouldn't sell well or something super strange like that.

Jan 31, 2019
A decade behind in gaming trends but a decade ahead in sales. What that tells me is that certain aspects of the industry are headed in the wrong direction.

Aug 2, 2018
Will have to agree with this. I love my switch and mario odyssey is in my top 5 of all time and BOTW, while not in love with it like others, is a solid game, but Nintendo is definitely far behind the rest.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's honestly true though. I just took the PS3 back out to play SMT3 and I was thinking how ahead of it's time the console was. You hop on your switch and it's just..... so miniscule. Can't say it bothers me because it gets the job done in terms of games, but cmon at the very least let us message our friends lol

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Pie chart just not the right format; meant to convey parts of a whole not the size of 2 disparate things.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, is this thread a litmus test for people who don't read beyond the thread title or what, huh.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Theyre so behind yet they make the best games in the industry and the best selling hardware.

I think they need to update their definitions of what "behind" actually means because theyre for sure not late to what the market responds to. Theyre were far AHEAD of the industry when it came to Nintendo Directs, handheld, the Wii, the Switch, many other things but funny how those things dont count because they dont have a game that looks like the Witcher even when it terms of gameplay a game like BotW is so far ahead of its entire genre

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Arg. This is not actually much better than the pie chart. If I remember, their basic thesis was 'Mario Kart has a high attach rate', which could be conveyed with a single number (ratio of MK sales : hardware sales). If they insist on breaking it out into a time series like the above, it should be an actual time series and not one where the space between data points is anywhere from 2 years to 5 years. They should probably simply present a bar chart of attach by system / release. They could then discuss outliers (maybe Super Circuit fared poorly because it didn't lend itself as well to multiplayer? maybe the Wii was the perfect Mario Kart audience?). That would also avoid conflating the sales of different hardware models (if that's even what is going on up there) which had wildly different pricing, were on the market for different lengths of time, etc.

(analyst rant mode off)

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I know the Punch Out bit is a joke but I'd be down for an action rpg where I play as a Boxer with a magic build with the charming visuals of a nintendo game.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
What is the context behind that pie chart?

From this golden piece of article...

The original from 2014: https://web.archive.org/web/2014051...com/2014/5/15/5718168/mario-kart-series-sales

Then, days later they updated the article removing the infamous piechart... xD...

www.polygon.com

Mario Kart 8 will likely be the worst-selling game in franchise history, here's why

The Mario Kart series has long been a sales leader, ranking as the second-best selling game on Nintendo's last three hardware platforms, but even if every current Wii U owner bought the next...

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I largely agree with that premise (though the video plays it up for laughs). That being said, the part that I struggle with is the idea that BotW "perfected the open world game". I mean, the reason so many people love that game is because they innovated when it came to the traversal mechanics. The best parts of that game are largely innovative. The rest of the stuff BotW does worse than the majority of big hitters in that genre. It is hard to take that comment too seriously, though; it was clearly more of a lighthearted, fun video.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was a fun video. The Metroid battle royale idea doesn't sound that bad.

I'd prefer a Bowser dad game, though. No need to establish Mario as a dad since he'll never score.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theyre so behind yet they make the best games in the industry and the best selling hardware.

I think they need to update their definitions of what "behind" actually means because theyre for sure not late to what the market responds to. Theyre were far AHEAD of the industry when it came to Nintendo Directs, handheld, the Wii, the Switch, many other things but funny how those things dont count because they dont have a game that looks like the Witcher even when it terms of gameplay a game like BotW is so far ahead of its entire genre
Not that your points are wrong, but you should watch the video. It's pretty good. You can find the author's view of BotW within the first minute or so.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't give them the clicks.
It's not even on Polygon's website, it's a youtube video. Christ.
I know the Punch Out bit is a joke but I'd be down for an action rpg where I play as a Boxer with a magic build with the charming visuals of a nintendo game.
The idea of a Kirby VR survival horror from a Waddle Dee's perspective sounds silly until you realize Kirby is actually that horrifying.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
This only really bothers me on the technical side. They fact that seeing BotW in 4K/HDR will either never natively happen or it'll be a decade from now is a criminal disservice to the art in that game.

Oct 26, 2017
The video title is a bit click baity but it's played for laughs. I too certainly appreciate their approach

I too love dismissing an article just cause it criticizes my favorite toy company
But it's not tho...

People are preemptively disagreeing and agreeing with the title without really watching the video. If nothing else, it's another example of why the discourse on Era can be a bit...lacking

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
You can't just squish two completely different metrics onto the same chart. A good pie chart would be, for example, the population of pizzas split by different toppings, with a different piece of the pie for each topping. A bad pie chart would be comparing the amount of pizzas to the amount of fried chicken. Polygon's infamous pie chart is closer to the latter. The proper graph of choice would have been a bar graph.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't make sense as a visual representation of MK's attach rate, that's the problem.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I mean the fact that the Switch needs a separate smartphone app for voice chatting.

Interestingly enough, their pricing and "Gacha" is up to date.
IK3WkAH.gif

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not that your points are wrong, but you should watch the video. It's pretty good. You can find the author's view of BotW within the first minute or so.
Oh I noticed the video isnt as bad as the headline. Im not mad or anything, but its something people tend to bring up and Im like "I HAVE THOUGHTS!"

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
People are gonna mock polygon for those charts but they're not wrong and i wish nintendo would actually make a console with cutting edge hardware and online technology.

I guess
People are gonna mock polygon for those charts but they're not wrong and i wish nintendo would actually make a console with cutting edge hardware and online technology.

I guess you didn't read it? And I find it great Nintendo dont go for cutting edge as we're well served there already. It's a nice balance to have them concentrating on gameplay rather than putting too much focus on graphics.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Comedy disclaimer aside I think it's fair to say that Nintendo doesn't chase trends but instead only hits them when it has something to say in that mind space.

I'd call Nintendo's approach as a "Spacemaker." They either build new spaces, new sub-genres or twists on existing products, or occupy abandoned spaces, all creating a kind of cohesive environment between them.

Contrast Microsoft which is more about using their software to trailblaze their services like Live, Gamepass, and their apk's. They want to build infrastructure and have games that drive that.

Sony's the only one that's really a "normal" publisher, with the caveat that they try not to tread on the toes of third party partners, and they often make games and franchises targeted square at Nintendo or Microsoft games.

Deleted member 36749

Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
I mean.....yeah....but ive been having tons of fun playing on my switch..im not to big on multiplayer games at this point so I dont mind it.