• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
www.polygon.com

Doug Bowser on Nintendo’s obsession with March 31, plus Joy-Con drift and the Switch Pro rumors

The president of Nintendo of America on the last year and looking ahead to 2021

Very interesting interview, only posting snippets in the OP:

Polygon said:
Looking back, when did you realize COVID was going to be a big change for basically everyone in the gaming industry, but also, was going to specifically affect what Nintendo's strategies were for 2020?

Doug Bowser said:
I would say, during the March time frame, during February, early March, we were closely monitoring the situation. We were in very close contact with state and local governments in the areas where we have our offices and facilities. So that would be Washington state, California, New York state. And then, of course, in Canada, both in Toronto and [British Columbia]. And we were very closely watching the situation and how it was unfolding, and tried to really be sensitive to the changes in various orders around work-from-home or quarantines, etc.

And we began probably in early March, as a leadership team, really shaping out, if this ever got to a pandemic situation, how would we manage the business? Because a part of our business, for us, can can be effectively done working from home or working remotely. But we also have a manufacturing and distribution facility here. And we had to be sensitive to that — if various distancing regulations came into place and other safety regulations came into place, we had to really understand how we were going to be able to operate that business effectively and continue to distribute our products to our retailers, and ultimately, our consumers. So really, it was that March time frame that we start to spool up.

And, you know, I'm lucky we engaged in that manner. We've always had business continuity plans in place, but they didn't necessarily include a pandemic. I'm not sure many companies have a pandemic plan structured.

Polygon said:
I wanted to specifically talk about a strategy that Nintendo is doing with Switch Online, regarding the sunsetting I don't know what the exact terminology is, but effectively, games that are no longer available after March 31, 2021. What is the logic? Why is that good for consumers?

Doug Bowser said:
Yeah, I think I use a simple word: celebration. It just — this is a celebration of Mario's 35th anniversary. And we wanted to celebrate in unique and different ways, and we've done that through games like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, or we will be doing that through future releases, such as Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury.

And then we've also done it through releases such as Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., or through Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit. There are various ways that we're celebrating Mario's 35th. And with some of these titles, we felt it was an opportunity to release them for a limited period of time. They've done very, very well. Super Mario 3D All-Stars has sold over 2.6 million units in the U.S. alone. And so clearly, consumers have been able to jump in and enjoy that. And it's not strategy that we're going to be using widely, but it's one we thought was very unique for the actual anniversary.

Polygon said:
Yeah, and the celebration aspect I totally get. Obviously, you have gone whole hog on releasing amazing Mario games this year. I just don't understand the consumer side of it, where someone who buys a Switch in June of next year is just never gonna be able to buy those games. I just don't see the upside, quite honestly.

Doug Bowser said:
Yeah, at this point, the decision was really made around that celebration feature and aspect. I can't speak to plans beyond the the end of March.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
NOA Presidents don't really have power. They're marketing folks.

NCL controls all.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I really think that now is the time for NoE and NoA start asking for more independence, money for studios and partnership deals. Sure, this year went great for $$, but how much was Japan threw out rhythm?

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
So what will you do with the joy con drift problem?.

" Nintendo wants to put smiles on their consumer faces" like fucking lol 😂

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A pretty nonsense answer on the sunsetting games stuff.

I fully expect the All-Stars games to be available separately on the eshop after.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why NoA bothers to do these interviews. They are just a marketing and distribution arm of NCL, they have no autonomy. NCL makes all the decisions about things any of us would be interested in.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Maybe the answer about the limited aspect being only used for anniversaries makes people stop assuming that any future games will be like that

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm glad Russ tried to push back a bit at least, but yeah, you're not going to break through that Nintendo PR façade. They have been perfecting the art of non-answers for years now. No one was better at it than Reggie, but you can tell Doug learned a thing or two from him.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't love the bit trying to dig into why their release schedule this year feels so dry and him coming back and saying Switch sales are still strong because of all the software they've released… yeah! It's great for someone just now hopping onboard to play a good library of games, but what about the people who bought in day one on Switch? Feels super dry. Especially with a dedicated handheld library gone now too.

Where's Metroid? Where's the next Mario Kart? Where's a new Mario game? Or Star Fox? Or Pikmin 4?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Sounds like he didn't have power over that part
This is really what happened. I can't fault Doug on the non-answers because of that tight, tight leash.

Where's Metroid? Where's the next Mario Kart? Where's a new Mario game? Or Star Fox? Or Pikmin 4?
When it's ready. (TM)

what even is the point of NoA

Sales and marketing. They're not the official game development departments with executive directors/producers of upcoming titles that they wanted to hype up and announce to the world.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I vastly prefer Doug over Reggie when it comes to interviews. Bowser is still a buttoned up NoA exec, but I felt like he gave a little bit more than Reggie used too. I loved Reggie, but he was really a tight interview during his tenure.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Sales and marketing. They're not the official game development departments with executive directors/producers of upcoming titles that they wanted to hype up and announce to the world.

True. Isn't Retro Studios managed by Nintendo of Japan with no input by Nintendo of America in regards to creative oversight of their games?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
And it's not strategy that we're going to be using widely, but it's one we thought was very unique for the actual anniversary.

It was used nearly half a dozen times this year: Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario 35, Game & Watch & on Fire Emblem 30th. May not be "widely used" but they didn't shy away from it.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
"Well Russ, the way I'd answer that question is this" is a great way to explain to the person who asked you a question that they asked you a question that you are about to answer.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The interviewer should have pushed much harder on the drift issue. I'm pretty disgusted that Nintendo is getting away with continuing to release a defective product and is just being rewarded with record sales figures and no real consequences.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
We're not really going to know what's going to happen to those games until it's March. Maybe they sell them separately, maybe they disappear, who knows.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The interviewer should have pushed much harder on the drift issue. I'm pretty disgusted that Nintendo is getting away with continuing to release a defective product and is just being rewarded with record sales figures and no real consequences.
Ultimately, it sucks both ways:
  • They can't publicly say anything that's not reiterated on their public announcements in regards to Customer Support for Joycon drifts.
  • They can't say anything due to pending lawsuits.
Weird is that I didn't see any lawsuits filed in Japan about "Joy-Conのドリフト現象".