• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
unist_top.0.jpg

The folks behind the Evolution Championship Series, often regarded as the most important fighting game tournament of the calendar year, revealed the 2019 lineup during a live broadcast last week. Evo 2019 will feature a largely safe collection of returning titles and expected newcomers, but one game, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st], was quite a surprise. But saying its first appearance at Evo came out of nowhere would be disingenuous. Under Night In-Birth's invitation to Evo 2019 is the result of years of dedication from its core playerbase, and a sign the community had proven that they deserved to be part of the influential tournament series.
Dominique "SonicFox" McLean, arguably the greatest fighting game player in the world, took time away from Mortal Kombat to try it out. Unsurprisingly, he did pretty damn well. This reputation helped make Under Night In-Birth the biggest side tournament at Evo 2018 (plentiful space is provided in the venue for community organizers to hold their own competitions) with 210 entrants, but even dedicated fans thought an official spot was still a pipe dream.
Under Night In-Birth's growing popularity in the fighting game community peaked with November 2018's Climax of Night, a first-of-its-kind American tournament built around French Bread properties. After playing second (or third, fourth, fifth, etc.) fiddle at many competitions, Under Night In-Birth was finally the main event, and over 140 players—a group that included players from across the United States as well as key visitors from Japan—made the trip to Atlanta, Georgia to compete. Climax of Night's head organizer, veteran fighting game player Ben "Shinobi!" Robinson, said the event was "long overdue" in a previous interview, and remains proud of the spotlight it placed on Under Night In-Birth outside the realm of Evo's influence.
https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/2/18246995/under-night-in-birth-evo-2019-french-bread-fighting-games

Another cool read is The surprising history of the French Bread studio by Thomasorus, detailing the origins of the studio behind Under Night.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
User Banned (Duration Pending): Ignoring staff requests for evidence for inflammatory claims
I guess this is as good as time as ever to drop this information. I have no reason to lie about it since I don't particularly have any horse in this race but it's something I've heard from people who are in the know regarding the situation.

The final game at EVO 2019 was not supposed to be UNIST, initially, it was going to be DoA6. After the core values situation, the final game lineup changed. It's not really known as to who decided to cut the game, though. The most likely situations were EVO trying to stay consistent with their 'values' as to not look hypocritical or DoA devs/publishers deciding not to be on a platform that was decrying their game. From what I heard, there was a last minute decision on what game to sub in. The choices were between Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I've been told that UNIST was chosen over Melee because of MrWizards personal bias against SSBM and the SSBM community. Apparently, a lot of people internally were very shocked at this decision and tried to combat it as SSBM tends to rake in a large number of viewers and attendees compared to a more obscure game.

You can take this how you want, tbh. I'm sure it'll get denied eventually but as I said, I don't really care about any of these games being at EVO specifically.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
But Leffen said they paid their way in s/s/s/

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is as good as time as ever to drop this information. I have no reason to lie about it since I don't particularly have any horse in this race but it's something I've heard from people who are in the know regarding the situation.

The final game at EVO 2019 was not supposed to be UNIST, initially, it was going to be DoA6. After the core values situation, the final game lineup changed. It's not really known as to who decided to cut the game, though. The most likely situations were EVO trying to stay consistent with their 'values' as to not look hypocritical or DoA devs/publishers deciding not to be on a platform that was decrying their game. From what I heard, there was a last minute decision on what game to sub in. The choices were between Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I've been told that UNIST was chosen over Melee because of MrWizards personal bias against SSBM and the SSBM community. Apparently, a lot of people internally were very shocked at this decision and tried to combat it as SSBM tends to rake in a large number of viewers and attendees compared to a more obscure game.

You can take this how you want, tbh. I'm sure it'll get denied eventually but as I said, I don't really care about any of these games being at EVO specifically.
I knew irrational prejudice against melee could only lead to good things.

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017

Also, to clarify something:
When I said "It's not really known as to who decided to cut the game, though.", I mean I specifically don't know. I would be baffled if EVO staff didn't.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much any fighting game over Melee is the right call.

I'm glad they stood their ground on the Dead or Alive thing too. I'm not super familiar with Mr. Wizard but he is sounding more and more like a pretty cool guy to me.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Melee. I've been told that UNIST was chosen over Melee because of MrWizards personal bias against SSBM and the SSBM community. Apparently, a lot of people internally were very shocked at this decision and tried to combat it as SSBM tends to rake in a large number of viewers and attendees compared to a more obscure game.
Not surprised tbh.

May 18, 2018
Nice story. I hope that game shines on the main stage. Sucks that it's replacing DoA 6 though. That game looks like it would be good to watch. I'll keep my MayLay thoughts to myself.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is this some kind of Copy Pasta?

Apr 9, 2018
It's still a good pick even if it wasn't in the originally drafted lineup. It's a great game to watch and last year's side event got a lot of entrants and viewership for a sideshow.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

People have been speculating on this the minute the 9 games in the line up were revealed. If you do know that as a fact, why not give us some receipts instead of fueling speculation and hearsay?

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

kind of sounds like fan fiction

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Their core values were always shitting on the DOA community and any they deemed other.

May 18, 2018
ve been told that UNIST was chosen over Melee because of MrWizards personal bias against SSBM and the SSBM community.

Smash people always trying to be the victim. How could you have a personal bias for all this time when you're in control? He could just take the game out. I was going to let them slide but not now. Melee being gone means more excitement that doesn't include Smash fans trying to steal someone's gamecube controller.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal

Couldn't you have just posted this in the Evo lineup thread or did you really need to distract from the article about how hard the UNIST community has worked to get to this point?

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
If what TrickyAssist said is true then holy shit this is petty and shitty.

Doubling down on the stupid tweet and denying a game and community its chance at Evo because of a dumb presentation

Personal bias keeping Melee out

Worst of it all. Unist getting in as a replacement because of pettiness leading to DoAs exclusion instead of UNIST getting in because the game and community was recognized as worthy of being a main game.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If what TrickyAssist said is true then holy shit this is petty and shitty.

Doubling down on the stupid tweet and denying a game and community its chance at Evo because of a dumb presentation

Personal bias keeping Melee out

Worst of it all. Unist getting in as a replacement because of pettiness leading to DoAs exclusion instead of UNIST getting in because the game and community was recognized as worthy of being a main game.
I agree.

If it was merely that they wanted games to have representation, I as a Melee fan would be fine with this. But being that it's petty reasons this actually is very shitty but with Mr. Wizard... doesn't surprise me.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This is a pretty neat under dog story. Watched some matches but I'm not sure what is the strong appeal for a growing fan base, year over year.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Making a post like this should require some sort of mod verification. This just sounds like a "tales from my ass" situation without proof.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Derail thread praising grassroots game getting main stage spotlight with dumbass r/Kappa conspiracies, yeah that's the business

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
As long as I have something to watch instead of Smash I am all for it and this looks like a great game to spectate with some really cool character designs.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

What is this? What are your sources?

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I dont think DoA6 can ever be at EVO after the core values meme. Youre gonna be seeing it pop up in the chat whenever gore/waifus are on stream this year. Even still i never expected this game of all things to be picked.

Along with Samurai Shodown which nobody has even played yet and we've had two trailers for. Very odd lineup.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

You're gonna need a source on this one, because as it stands this is just conspiracy-mongering to distract from UNIST. And I say this as a DOA fan.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The Climax of Night TO is a friend of mine and was kind of over the moon that this game has been gaining this much steam. I can't recall the last time that a game at this niche level has slowly built up its community presence over the years despite no real publisher or sponsor backing. I actually can't think of another time that something like this has happened in the era of so many official pro tours.

And I really appreciate that EVO just had the confidence to put this game in the line-up without making everyone suffer through another donation drive to get it there.

Derail thread praising grassroots game getting main stage spotlight with dumbass r/Kappa conspiracies, yeah that's the business
I'm glad that the rest of you guys beat me to the punch on this. That was a really gross first post for a thread that should be celebrating some genuine grassroots achievements. Not r/kappa tier conspiracy theories and needless pot stirring.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm so glad this game made it to EVO! Uniel is one of my favorite fighting games of this generation, more people should get to know this game! :D

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you're not too busy eating up stupid conspiracies, it's really humbling to see a game like this on the stages of evo. i'm definitely interested in watching!

is there any chance you can edit this out and keep it in the other thread? after reading the polygon article this seems like a pretty shitty first reply without any proof.

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Seriously, this. I'd rather we talk about the game that's going to be there and the work its community put in to make it to the main stage. This is a huge opportunity for both the community and the developers to both get some shine.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the worst thread derailments I've seen recently. Garbage-ass first post. Couldn't just have a thread praising UNIST's grassroots efforts, had to bring in your Smash fanboy fantasies.

I personally give MrWiz massive props for finally cutting Melee, which btw would have brought in massive amounts of money in the way of entrants, in favor of UNIST and even Samurai Shodown.

Last edited:

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know anything and this is pure speculation but aren't decisions like that made months in advance? Even with DOA6 having that issue, why would it ever be pulled last minute? Seems kinda ridiculous to me to come in here and post something like that without proof or at least some mod verification.

Now on topic- UNIST is great, glad it finally got to the main stage. Y'all are in for a treat.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I picked UNIST up at launch on PC, but started playing again shortly before the EVO announcement. It got me to check out a local FGC meetup, and I had a blast! Glad to see the community getting the recognition it deserves.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been told that UNIST was chosen over Melee because of MrWizards personal bias against SSBM and the SSBM community. Apparently, a lot of people internally were very shocked at this decision and tried to combat it as SSBM tends to rake in a large number of viewers and attendees compared to a more obscure game.

I'm sure that the story the melee base would go with, regardless of whether there's any truth to it or not. Receipts.

It's great news that a game like this gets a shot on the main stage, it's probably a one year thing anyway, hopefully they can keep using one slot for a slightly out there game every year instead of wasting it on melee.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched some gameplay videos from the game. First time seeing it in action. Looks really cool with some fun characters.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, this. I'd rather we talk about the game that's going to be there and the work its community put in to make it to the main stage. This is a huge opportunity for both the community and the developers to both get some shine.
Can't be stated enough. Everybody jokes about bathroom Melty Blood matches, but even the devs are poverty as hell. When the first UNI game was coming out in 2013, this is how they tried to show off the future characters to the community:

streaming a videocall over design documents, trying to not show annotations on the screen
(also, Orie could've been a full stand character =/////)

Dudes never stopped developing their skills as fighting game developers since the Melty days and it shows, so it's great the see them rewarded somehow.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
It's fairly easy to see why.

French Bread shilled out more money than anything Melee could bring, since Melee is a community and French Bread is a soul less corporate machine.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had never heard of Under Night until Cross Tag Battle. It's good to see it getting some recognition.

I'm not a very good fighting game player but I like the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.