• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with that. I just mostly think it was smart of them to sell e-books, and they are still doing that. Personally, I have a Kindle, and it certainly has caused me to buy fewer (but not zero!) physical books. Mostly what I don't physically buy anymore are cheap (~$5) trash scifi/fantasy books. Those things are taking up too much space as it is.
My reading has pretty much become completely digital. Both novels and comics, I buy digitally. The only exceptions are things like A) artbooks, and B) graphic novels I enjoyed very much, to the extent that I'd like a copy on my shelf. But only in a deluxe/prestige format if that exists.

But anyhow, my main point was that if B&N went straight to the app instead of trying to develop their own hardware, they could have saved all that money and still exploited the ebook strategy.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Digital sales are well over half of the market now and that percentage is only increasing. Those people aren't all new customers, lots of people went digital primarily or only.

Yep. You've got those who've only known digital consumption mixed with a growing number of people who are trending away from physical. My stance on physical and digital flipped 180 in the last 5 years once I got into PC gaming, and that comfort level carried over to PS4. I sold off all my physical Ps4 games and then repurchased the games that were worth keeping around once they reduced to $8-$10.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Most sales jobs with stupid executives have this shit. It's the equivalent of writing something down 500 times on a chalk board. They think punishment motivates people to do more and don't think about what a turn off it is for the customer. I'm so glad I don't have to do this shit.

yeah but this is new for them. We never had to do it before but now it's corporate mandated and if they don't have it filled in by the end of the night they get reprimanded. Only five customers in a baby? Tough shit.

I'm a retail veteran. I'm more than familiarwith the hell these people go through.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't there some kind of idea to turn GameStop into more of a cyber cafe-style gaming hangout zone? I think I saw a thread about that a few years ago.

That would be a pretty good pivot. Way better than trying to get people to trade in their phones.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have a lot of sympathy for the clerks but I usually cut the garbage by telling them right away I am not interested in the upsell at all and will only be making the purchase I have in hand at the time of purchase. I've strayed from buying things at GameStop in general over the years because of how much a trip there includes getting heckled when I'm just trying to buy a damn game. It helps that digital distribution is so damn good.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man. Right now I feel like the best GameStop could do at this point is go down the path of Barnes&Noble, which is undergoing the same downfall but slower.

The last time this came up like last year or something I think they said GameStop was looking at some ideas like selling retro games and turning certain stores into "gaming hangouts". That's sort of like the B&N path. B&N still makes sense on some level because they added a cafe and its selection of books is completely different from the selection of books at Target or Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart has pretty much the same selection of games as a GameStop except the used games.

Even then GameStop only keeps used games going back one console generation. In B&N you can sense the history of not only literature but also the movies they sell -- B&N seems to have a sale on Criterion movies every other week. Maybe GameStop could spin retro sales into something that leverages the history. If they're gonna sell merch, sell art books and real figures and shit. They ever think about selling PC gaming gear like Best Buy does? I'm talking like GPUs and shit.

I'm just spitballing at this point. My main issue with GameStop is it has this sort of cheap feeling.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
My reading has pretty much become completely digital. Both novels and comics, I buy digitally. The only exceptions are things like A) artbooks, and B) graphic novels I enjoyed very much, to the extent that I'd like a copy on my shelf. But only in a deluxe/prestige format if that exists.

But anyhow, my main point was that if B&N went straight to the app instead of trying to develop their own hardware, they could have saved all that money and still exploited the ebook strategy.
Oh yeah, I agree with you 100% on that point. There's definitely an alternative world where they could have competed with Amazon in the Nook vs Kindle fight, because of the option of being able to go in to the store to actually hold a Nook before buying, having a local place where you can go if there's a problem, etc. but they failed completely there.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
EB Games used to be cool. My favourite memory of the place was a few weeks before the PS2 launch and they had a demo kiosk for it. It was literally the only time I could think of where a large crowd was watching someone (me) playing Dynasty Warriors of all things and they were actually reacting to my gameplay.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man. Right now I feel like the best GameStop could do at this point is go down the path of Barnes&Noble, which is undergoing the same downfall but slower.

The last time this came up like last year or something I think they said GameStop was looking at some ideas like selling retro games and turning certain stores into "gaming hangouts". That's sort of like the B&N path. B&N still makes sense on some level because they added a cafe and its selection of books is completely different from the selection of books at Target or Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart has pretty much the same selection of games as a GameStop except the used games.

Even then GameStop only keeps used games going back one console generation. In B&N you can sense the history of not only literature but also the movies they sell -- B&N seems to have a sale on Criterion movies every other week. Maybe GameStop could spin retro sales into something that leverages the history. If they're gonna sell merch, sell art books and real figures and shit. They ever think about selling PC gaming gear like Best Buy does? I'm talking like GPUs and shit.

I'm just spitballing at this point. My main issue with GameStop is it has this sort of cheap feeling.

GameStop stores don't have anywhere near the footprint of a Barnes and Nobles to really create any sort of comfortable "hangout" type of place. Most of their stores are small and cluttered, you'd have to remove all the shit people could buy just to get people in there, and then how are you making money? Books also have a much wider appeal than video games. You can get all sorts of people into a Barnes and Noble. People who want to buy books. People who just want to read books. People who take their kids in to read. Students who use it as a place to study. Old people who go into read/buy magazines or newspapers. Videogames and GameStop specifically are a much smaller, more targeted audience. I doubt you are going to find a lot of people that are going to want to "hang out" at a GameStop.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I think Walmart's recent pricing was the nail in the coffin. I used to shop heavy at my local GameStop.. like, all last year. I would normally make my rounds GameStop, then Walmart for shopping. Recently I would see games I literally just bought at Gstop like $10 cheaper at Walmart Brand new! I would take the game back to Gstop for a refund. They stopped the discounts on used Then I just stopped going all together.

Now they finally price match stores and I knew the end was coming, lol. My local store is run by some very cool guys people have known for years. It'll be a sad day when it's done.. for my local one in particular.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
What killed Gamestop for me is getting rid of the used game discount with every purchase. I had someone working at a store try to talk me out of it by telling me using a one time coupon was a bigger discount than the $2 or so off discount with every used game.

I just sorta gave him a look and said no thanks.

It's no surprise at this point. Around this point with the PS3/360 lifecycles, you would see them advertising Xbox One and PS4 pre orders. I don't even feel like Gamestop will be around when PS5/Xbox Series X come out.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017

It feels like physical retro has died off hard though. It's either rare and expensive or cheap and no one wants it. No one is going to trade in their lot of used retro games to Gamestop for virtually no money so they can sell them for $2 a pop. Also that takes up a ton of space and most Gamestop's have tight quarters.

As for the gaming lounge idea, it seems neat but as others said, how do you monetize that? There's no way out for them. Retail is melting down right now and they have over 4,000 locations in the US.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how do you monetize "hanging out"?
Surprisingly easily.
-Charge for timeslots to access the consoles/PC's/VR spaces that have a variety of game options for you to play.
-Advertise new/used games in these playspaces to buy and take home if you please.
-Organise Street Fighter/DBFZ/Fortnite/MOBA/CSGO/Apex tournaments on a monthly basis dependant on interest/demand. Charge to take part and offer prizes for the winner(s) that encourage spending in shop (discounts and such).
-Build a space to play tabletop games ie. DnD/Pathfinder, or even Monopoly/UNO/Cluedo and many more family-orientated games.
-Hold classes to teach new players the fundamentals of games they may be interested in like Minecraft, and also masterclasses for the more experienced that want to take their skills further in games like CSGO, MOBA's, Fortnite and fighting games.

Build and foster a community and word of mouth will handle the rest. But these dumbass executives will never understand that.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
There is no Gamestop where I live, but there is one chain that's a lot like it. Just like Gamestop i don't see them surviving for much longer. There is one more chain in my country that is much smaller, but has an incredible collection of retro stuff. They also have a bunch of import titles so it's more a store for enthousiasts. I think they will survive as a webshop only at some point.

I'll never go full digital because I rely on second hand to finance my hobby. So I hope Cex will keep existing

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I like how the company continues to blame digital games when other major retail stores don't report on that. It's got to be something more than that.

The dinosaurs kept blaming the asteroid for a bit, and then they all died off. Grow, evolve and adapt to the coming changes, otherwise you will be left behind in history.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
EB Games closed 14 stores in Australia. Amazon (with Prime) is usually the cheapest way to get big releases.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Surprisingly easily.
-Charge for timeslots to access the consoles/PC's/VR spaces that have a variety of game options for you to play.
-Advertise new/used games in these playspaces to buy and take home if you please.
-Organise Street Fighter/DBFZ/Fortnite/MOBA/CSGO/Apex tournaments on a monthly basis dependant on interest/demand. Charge to take part and offer prizes for the winner(s) that encourage spending in shop (discounts and such).
-Build a space to play tabletop games ie. DnD/Pathfinder, or even Monopoly/UNO/Cluedo and many more family-orientated games.
-Hold classes to teach new players the fundamentals of games they may be interested in like Minecraft, and also masterclasses for the more experienced that want to take their skills further in games like CSGO, MOBA's, Fortnite and fighting games.

Build and foster a community and word of mouth will handle the rest. But these dumbass executives will never understand that.

A nice idea but, you end up with same social dropouts hanging around not spending any money, My local games shop which I worked out 20 years ago tried that as well as the nearby LAN café, both went under years ago.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
As fun as it is to second guess every move they've made over the last decade, I don't think there ever was a winning strategy for them.

Digital distribution and increased competition from big box stores and online retailers that are cheaper and more convenient were going to catch up to them eventually.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
gamestopsverige.zendesk.com

MEDDELANDE OM VÅR VERKSAMHET

Under 2020 kommer GameStop-butikerna successivt att stänga i Sverige. Information om datum när respektive butik stänger kommer gradvis att göras tillgänglig i butiker och online på vår hemsida (www...

In the next few months, Gamestop plans to close their stores in Sweden.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly easily.

I don't think there is as many people or as much money in that business model as you think there is. I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people looking for a gaming hangout/community.

Oct 27, 2017
gamestopsverige.zendesk.com

MEDDELANDE OM VÅR VERKSAMHET

Under 2020 kommer GameStop-butikerna successivt att stänga i Sverige. Information om datum när respektive butik stänger kommer gradvis att göras tillgänglig i butiker och online på vår hemsida (www...

In the next few months, Gamestop plans to close their stores in Sweden.

Same over here in grannlandet in west. I haven't found any dates for the two stores here in Oslo though. One of them did have a sale on stuff, so I snagged myself a couple of Star Wars t-shirts for 10 NOK per shirt, and the collector's edition of Strange Brigade for less than their price of the regular edition <3

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is as many people or as much money in that business model as you think there is. I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people looking for a gaming hangout/community.
Its a system that could be flexible enough to expand or shrink based on customer interest. Its not like gamestop would have to sacrifice anything they are doing now, it would be an extension on what the store currently offer. We're talking about a store franchise on the brink of collapsing, something needs to change.

I hate that a sign of a failing business is boss being real pain to the lower workers. I had good experiences with Gamestop employees from organizing preorders to just picking up a system with the right specs and hate to think everyday they are being pushed to max rev by silly offers and deals that many of it customers don't really want.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Its a system that could be flexible enough to expand or shrink based on customer interest. Its not like gamestop would have to sacrifice anything they are doing now, it would be an extension on what the store currently offer. We're talking about a store franchise on the brink of collapsing, something needs to change.

gamestop is not that flexible though. GameStop consists of a series of a few thousand relatively small retail outlets, most of which are fairly small and probably difficult to comfortably convert into a space that can do what you are describing while still maintaining their core business. What you are describing is a total overhaul of their entire business, which would cost who knows how much, all on the off chance that all of their thousands of small, individual stores can foster a community of hardcore gamers willing to hangout and play board games and somehow spend enough money on a monthly basis to keep the lights on and the lease paid.

what you are describing is something some individual, upstart mom and pop shop would try, and many do, and many fail and close up shop, because it's an incredibly volatile business model that depends heavily on location and community of that individual space, and probably not something that is adaptable on a mass market retail chain level

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gamestop is not that flexible though. GameStop consists of a series of a few thousand relatively small retail outlets, most of which are fairly small and probably difficult to comfortably convert into a space that can do what you are describing while still maintaining their core business. What you are describing is a total overhaul of their entire business, which would cost who knows how much, all on the off chance that all of their thousands of small, individual stores can foster a community of hardcore gamers willing to hangout and play board games and somehow spend enough money on a monthly basis to keep the lights on and the lease paid.

what you are describing is something some individual, upstart mom and pop shop would try, and many do, and many fail and close up shop, because it's an incredibly volatile business model that depends heavily on location and community of that individual space, and probably not something that is adaptable on a mass market retail chain level
I agree. Im not saying that it would 100% work, just that if I was one of these execs its probably what I'd push for. There's too many gamestops as it is: shut down the most rural ones and work on changing the ones in better locations. Ruthless and risky yes, but its what I'd do nonetheless.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Shame about the employees but this was inevitable

When the industry is moving towards digital sales and subscriptions, you can't base your business model on used games

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Im not saying that it would 100% work, just that if I was one of these execs its probably what I'd push for. There's too many gamestops as it is: shut down the most rural ones and work on changing the ones in better locations. Ruthless and risky yes, but its what I'd do nonetheless.

The problem is you would have to be an executive that essentially says "we survive by scaling so far back we essentially become a glorified mom and pop operation" and at that point your business is dead anyway. There's just not enough money or growth in that kind of business to make it worth anyone's while.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo

It also creates situations that most ~minimum wage GS employees probably aren't prepared to deal with.

What do you do with parents who think the store is a free alternative to child care? What if someone is being harassed? What if a regular has really bad personal hygiene and is scaring off your other customers?

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is you would have to be an executive that essentially says "we survive by scaling so far back we essentially become a glorified mom and pop operation" and at that point your business is dead anyway. There's just not enough money or growth in that kind of business to make it worth anyone's while.
Thank god im not an executive then. So out of curiosity, whats your suggestion for getting GameStop out of this?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
There is if the CEO is fine with GameStop being as niche as comic shops.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It also creates situations that most ~minimum wage GS employees probably aren't prepared to deal with.

What do you do with parents who think the store is a free alternative to child care? What if someone is being harassed? What if a regular has really bad personal hygiene and is scaring off your other customers?

this is why I said that a lot of these suggestions like this or the rental thing being made as "quick fixes" would actually require such an overhaul to their business and infrastructure for such a miniscule chance that it would somehow stop the bleeding.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god im not an executive then. So out of curiosity, whats your suggestion for getting GameStop out of this?

Nothing. There is no getting out of it. Their core business is selling physical video games. Physical video games are an increasingly shrinking market regardless of GameStop or any one else with no potential for growth. As time goes on less and less people will buy physical video games, that's an irreversible fact. The toothpaste is out of the tube on that one. That's why I said I get some of the minor annoyances or grievances people have with GameStop, the selling open games as new, the upselling, the million questions when all you want to do is leave, but none of that is probably actually contributing to this. GameStop is a dying business model just like music and movie stores were before it.

The other thing that i think is important to remember, and its been mentioned a few times in this thread, is that you have an entire generation, that next generation of potential GameStop customer, kids who are like 5-15 right now, whose perceptions and ideas on the value of media and software/hardware are completely skewed from what you or I remember. This applies to all media. Music and movies to them are firing up an app. They have no reverence for having a physical game. They have no nostalgia for opening up that N64 or SNES game you really wanted on Christmas morning and flipping through the manual and putting the box on your shelf. They have grown up on F2P or super cheap games like Fortnite that they download with the click of a button. When these kids get a little older and have disposable income and become your new target market, what in the world makes anyone think they are going to see value in walking into a brick and mortar store and plunking $60 down for a box with a disc?

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
When i'm standing in a line 10 people deep, with only one clerk, and that clerk adds an extra 30 seconds to 2 minutes to each transaction by trying to sell warranties, or chat about future games they should preorder, I'm not going to go there anymore. The pressure, as a consumer, of having all those eyes on you, wondering if you're going to extend the length of your transaction by entertaining the clerk with this banter is just too much for me. I respect other people too much, and don't respect GS profits enough to put other people through that. I'll either order online or go to BestBuy where they just want you out the door.
I don't know if it's changed since I haven't gone to a Best Buy except for in store pickup in a long time, but while BB may not be as bad as Gamestop, they still stop you to try to sell you a warranty or tech support. They have quotas as well. Same with Target and their credit card, I can't tell you how many times I've been in a line of two (before self checkout became a thing) and have to wait for someone to fill out a CC application.

I like how the company continues to blame digital games when other major retail stores don't report on that. It's got to be something more than that.
To be honest, they are a lot more affected by the digital marketplace because their main business is selling games (unlike Target/Best Buy/Walmart) AND the main profit center of that business is selling used games.

Oh wow, this happened to me too. My sister bought me some games around Christmas from Gamestop and she renewed my pro membership without me even knowing. I planned to stop going to Gamestop when my membership expired but now it feels like I'm wasting her money if I don't take advantage of it.

And this is exactly why they do all that pestering. That's two people in here who's relatives signed back up for a pro membership. It's preying on people that don't know any better/think that it's a perfect gift for their gamer friend.

Gamestop lost most of my business when they finally made the Pro Rewards membership pointless and Walmart of all places starting dropping their game prices en masse.
I think Walmart's recent pricing was the nail in the coffin. I used to shop heavy at my local GameStop.. like, all last year. I would normally make my rounds GameStop, then Walmart for shopping. Recently I would see games I literally just bought at Gstop like $10 cheaper at Walmart Brand new! I would take the game back to Gstop for a refund. They stopped the discounts on used Then I just stopped going all together.

This is exactly what GCU was trying to do earlier... basically set up as a loss leader to drive traffic to their stores/put games like Gamestop out of business. Selling a new game for basically no profit became such a prevalent thing that it's the norm, to the point that people here are saying Gamestop should do it. They can't, they can't afford to. I'm not saying don't shop at Walmart, but know that when they are one of the only options left to get games, prices are going back up.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Micromania, oftenly quoted as "Escromania" (fraud), never cares about games

I used to go there when I was younger for games related discussion, it actually was a good place for that, you could feel people working there were actually there because they do loved games.

I would say it changed recently since they are also vending merch & stuff, but in the past, I'm not sure I could agree with your statement (except if you're talking about fraud for the price they were buying used game and selling them at a higher price after that).

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm unlikely to pre-order a PS5/XSX with Gamestop. They might not even exist by the time the consoles come out.

Adapt or die. Looks like they made their choice.

I have made mention myself that this will be the first console since the Nintendo 64 that I will get from a non gamestop store. A long time. I plan on getting them both from best buy this year.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I would say it changed recently since they are also vending merch & stuff, but in the past, I'm not sure I could agree with your statement (except if you're talking about fraud for the price they were buying used game and selling them at a higher price after that).
Price of new games and used games are higher than any other place in France, but yet, the price they bought your used games was very low.

I expect that Gamestop vanishing from most locations will provide independent stores the opportunity to experiment with business models. There's going to be at least some void to fill, and people looking for any kind of physical outlet. Time to see what sticks.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gamestop has plenty of problems, but it's really the last true dedicated gaming retail store out there and I've always had lots of success finding great games at often the best prices there during sales. I'd really rather they turn things around, improve, and thrive with the upcoming console gen.

But I know that bigger, better retail stores went the way of the dinosaur, and it's just less of a hassle these days to get a game digitally or order online than it is to drop by a Gamestop.

I guess we'll see if they can evolve, but I'm not optimistic. Stranger things have happened, but it would need a real shot-in-the-arm hail-mary save.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i bet the conference calls are so sick.. selling culture ftw conference is gonna be lit 🔥

is Captain redbeard ok? and that weird little guy from gamestop tv?

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I remember trading in my Gamecube a long time ago.

The manager at the Gamestop was literally holding down the lid on the disc tray, while pressing the open button. Told me it was broken, so he would have to give me less money.

Was weird as a 16 year old kid to tell a grown man to take his hand off the top of the console and to stop bullshitting me.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Price of new games and used games are higher than any other place in France, but yet, the price they bought your used games was very low.

I would hate to deal with used games (for current systems) right now. Unless the game is just really really hot and you know for sure you can move it within the next few weeks, you almost have to lowball people because the price of the game new is going to drop precipitously at any moment. It doesn't help that everyone and their mother is trying to game the system when a trade in value is too high.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I would hate to deal with used games (for current systems) right now. Unless the game is just really really hot and you know for sure you can move it within the next few weeks, you almost have to lowball people because the price of the game new is going to drop precipitously at any moment. It doesn't help that everyone and their mother is trying to game the system when a trade in value is too high.
I don't know the situation right now, it was true 25 years ago.