• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
But some of those GameStop sales are because people traded in games because they cant afford a $60 release. Where will those people go? Does Best Buy even do trade-ins anymore?
Gaming isn't a cheap hobby unfortunately and it's only going to get worse, if they can't afford a new game and have no trade-in options they will have to wait for a sale or price drop. It's unfortunate but GameStop hasn't exactly always given good or fair prices for games as well.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
We're in an age where nobody needs to leave their house for entertainment.

Companies might want to consider that in their planning.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The counterpoint to this argument is where are the other physical game retailers that are thriving? BB did away with GCU. Same with Amazon. No one is taking advantage of the used games market because the price of games (both new and uses) has been plummeting faster than ever.
I think GCU went away because Best Buy discovered video games aren't a loss leader and they were simply losing a ton of money from the offer. Once Target or Walmart stop selling games, then you'll know physical games are in trouble.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Gaming isn't a cheap hobby unfortunately and it's only going to get worse, if they can't afford a new game and have no trade-in options they will have to wait for a sale or price drop. It's unfortunate but GameStop hasn't exactly always given good or fair prices for games as well.

People who can't afford $60 games wait a month and buy them for half price on the digital storefronts. Games drop so fast I almost never buy day one anymore, and i can afford to buy at full price.

Outside of Nintendo games, the cheap prices on digital storefronts are better than the old used GameStop trade in model ever was.

Aug 12, 2019
Gamestop lost most of my business when they finally made the Pro Rewards membership pointless and Walmart of all places starting dropping their game prices en masse. Taking away my 10% used games discount made me lose all interest in shopping there because that was just an objective increase in most of the stuff I would be buying. Not to mention, the move away from games makes the stories feel shitty to be in and they also have less stock of the older titles I typically enjoy browsing (because newer titles are available everywhere and often times cheaper at other places).

I might still use them for a couple things before they go out of business, but it's just gotten to the point where there's almost no point in going into one now. It's the same PS4/Xbox One/Switch selections with high prices and loads of junk everywhere.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
This was always inevitable. Physical games are on the decline. Gamers have voted with their wallet. Publishers and developers prefer digital too. With physical games gone you don't have to share revenue with brick and motor stores anymore.

Soon the only physical versions that will be sold will be super expensive collector editions sold to devoted fans and whales.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
People who can't afford $60 games wait a month and buy them for half price on the digital storefronts. Games drop so fast I almost never buy day one anymore, and i can afford to buy at full price.

Outside of Nintendo games, the cheap prices on digital storefronts are better than the old used GameStop trade in model ever was.
Agreed and I never do as well, they were talking about new games and the act of trading in to get them immediately. I even said at the end that the prices they give were rarely good to begin with so to go further those people would be better off not going about buying new games like that as they'll eventually run out of games of any worth to sell and then be without GameStop's "help" any way.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I casually drop by GameStop if I'm playing demos or buying some merch. I know the people there and I work in retail too so we talk about how hard shit like that really is. They never badger me into signing up for stuff, just the disc warranty waiver.

I hate to see them go but it's no wonder why their crap business practices won't work well in the long run.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i brought these guys like 10 barely-used games when i was young and they gave me 10 cents. since then i have been working to bring the company to the ground by ushering in the age of digital media

their end is nigh

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ambivalent about their demise, I get most physical games from amazon or direct sales (limited run games) with the odd target or Walmart thrown in.
However, the other used game store In my region (gameXchange) is salivating at losing their only competition. They have four stores in the Memphis area (as opposed to gStops 10/11) and are always busy.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on trading my PS4 Pro towards a PS5. I'm not feeling too good about those prospects right now.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I worked at GameStop over a decade ago and it was the same as these reports.

There were constant reminders via emails and management regarding sales targets, pre-order numbers and GI subscriptions.

Definitely a recurring source of pressure.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Obviously it's not the same country so it's not 1:1 but Japan has this fantastic company called Book Off that's all pre-owned games, books, and nerdy things. They seem to be everywhere, not just in 'otaku' districts. I think had they never abandoned retro games and dig in on good user experiences they could have at least maintained a good, loyal customer base.

As I said before, I think it would have made a difference. At the very least, had they found a niche that was still popular (retro, pre-owned, rare discs, niche products) they could have downsized instead of going under. Had they not been a loathed laughingstock for various reasons in the community, I think they could have had a loyal base that stuck with them through the move to digital. Instead it seems nearly everyone is happy to see them go except those personally affected. People mourned for Toys R Us, no one seems to mourn for GameStop.
I mean Japan is still way behind everywhere else in the move to digital distribution so I'm not surprised if BookOff is still going strong there. Not really a useful comparison. I don't think Gamestop selling used CDs and books and magazines and DVDs and whatnot would have really helped, since people don't really buy any of those things any more either.

(also BookOff just closed a big store in LA to get an idea of how their business is doing here)

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm ambivalent about their demise, I get most physical games from amazon or direct sales (limited run games) with the odd target or Walmart thrown in.
However, the other used game store In my region (gameXchange) is salivating at losing their only competition. They have four stores in the Memphis area (as opposed to gStops 10/11) and are always busy.
I went to GameXchange once in my area and it was awful to navigate, it was super small and was riddled with games all over the place with a lot of them behind cases so you couldn't examine them at all without help.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Reading this thread, it dawned on me that the Xbox Series X will be the first console I get, at launch, where I don't buy any physical games with it.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Gamestop is trash and treats their employees like trash. Can't say I'm sad to see them doing so badly. Source: former Gamestop SGA

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why not just use any sort of classifieds? Sure it requires a bit more work from you but you're gonna get a way better price for it anyway!

Unfortunately my area is a bunch of cheap lowballers. I rarely get decent value for my stuff. At least with Gamestop they normally have decen trade in value when going towards a new console.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They're dead obviously. Surprised they didn't try and incorporate an electronics repair type operation similar to ubreakifix. Those have very small footprints and since they're trying to buy and resell phones and tablets anyways.

Anyways, they're already entertaining offers to buy out their retail/real estate portfolio. Some surprising companies are interested though I can't really elaborate beyond that

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Foreseeable future where store closeout sales mean mass acquiring of games "for the gamers" at extremely cheap prices.....

tumblr_p5ugj6ov9N1x4f1b9o1_250.gif
tenor.gif

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Gamestop would sell off EB Games to a Canadian company/investor group if they went under. I'd prefer that.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I have to wonder if they would still be in a mad scramble downward if instead of doubling down on shitty sales tactics that work through heavy handed pressure, they instead focused on offering quality products and hard to find physical copies of games.

Selling games that have been opened and played as new, offering chump change for valuable and relevant games, and extreme pressure to preorder new games or buy used copies when I want to buy new is why I stop going there.

It also doesn't help that they treat their products like trash. Throwing away cases, and artwork and so on. Those things are the reason I value physical purchases, if I didn't give a damn I would just buy digital all the time.

I'm probably in the minority though. Maybe people wouldn't care if they improved in the ways I think would help. Maybe physical is just dying and Gamestop isn't to blame for their own failings.
The cases and artwork are literally the reason I buy physical games. If it's just the disc or the cart, then all you have is the inconvenience without something to display on your shelf.

I came to the US recently, and wanted to get Dragon Quest 11 S since the version in Japan is Japanese only.

The GameStop I went to only had 2 copies, no case. Price only slightly below new. I ended up going to Best Buy and buying it new, because I'd rather pay full price and get everything, than pay 5 dollars less for no case.

Same thing with Kirby: Planet Robobot. GameStop had no case, was still too expensive, so I ended up buying it digitally on the eShop.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, in the past year I could tell my gamestop went downhill and looking at the GS subreddit, I can see lots of employees disgruntled with the awful corporate management. So many tech trade demands and stupid policies that they have to follow, and no matter how nice the customers are and how pleasant things end up being, they can still get written off for not selling enough random crap like pop figures or getting quotes.

There's a part in the article where they note how GS people are seen as easily replaceable on a whim to corporate, and I can absolutely confirm that's the truth at my store: For years, we had a good array of employees and managers who were some of the nicest people I've ever dealt with, and it made my local GS the to-go place for any physical items since 2005, even when I jumped on Amazon's train for a bit when they had those discounts, GS was still a good place for eShop cards and merch, even when corporate threw up a bunch of toys at the store and made it half-toy store, it was still enjoyable to go to due to the good service.

But last August? Something weird happened. All the long-time employees were not there anymore, either booted or left on their own accord. This new dude who was godawful at his job and looked like he barely took care of himself came there instead, and when I picked up a preorder for Collection of Mana he didn't even know where the preorder boxes were and wasn't really wanting to be there. Turns out this guy was the brand new store manager and most of the old staff quit, and thus my GS has been going in hardcore on the tech trade nonsense. Every freakin time I go in now, this store manager with no deodorant and a shaggy beard is in change and barely knows what he's doing, and constantly asks me if I know that I can trade in my phone or tablet.

Yes, I knew the last 50 times you told me. Yes, I know my pro card expired, I did that on purpose. Yes, I know that corporate sucks, but that doesn't excuse the time I bought 4 PS3 games from you and you didn't even put in the game discs in because you were staring into space. Yes, you really did mess up our local Sword and Shield midnight event by telling everyone in the town for weeks that you'd be open for the games at 11 PM, only to shut the store down at 9 PM and leave dozens of people out in the cold and scrambling to the next closest store. But god, no wonder most of the old crew at my store left. I see new, very nice employees come now and then, but they almost always get retired within months due to not being able to stand the manager for taking care of himself so poorly, or for being rotated out for new seasonals. It's just baffling how Gamestop barely cares anymore these days and on a corporate level I don't think they know what they're doing. They don't even let you price match for pete's sake. I know not all stores have declined in the same way as mine due to this tech trade policy, but dang... I can vouch for a lot of things in this article as a long time customer who befriended a lot of the managers.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I like how the company continues to blame digital games when other major retail stores don't report on that. It's got to be something more than that.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of interesting, because I actually wouldn't mind going into a video game-centric store to shop around. But I HATE the shopping environment of Gamestop. I hate how pushy they are and all the upselling and preordering and all that crap. I just want to shop and buy some games.

But because their sales are worse, they are trying to push even harder on the things that drive customers like me away. Maybe your problem is not just that the physical game media market is dying, but that your business model is dying.

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my physical gaming purchases come from Amazon. I have not bought anything from GameStop in over 5 years so nothing of value would be lost for me.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Part of why people dislike going to GameStop is being asked a billion questions when all they want to do is buy a game, and they want to make that worse?
This. I have never understood why the answer to struggling sales has always been to do the thing people dislike even more. It's not like people aren't open about what they don't like about GameStop. It's the same thing over and over again and they keep intentionally doing that thing more! It makes no damn sense.

Honestly I would have bought more from GameStop over the years if they would have items in stock after few weeks. Far to many times a new game wouldn't even be purchasable online or even for pick up new. A used copy that is damn near full price is likely to be there. Even if something is there it's always full price where Amazon or even Walmart would have it a lower price. Same for digital versions which always seem to be full price.

Sales tactics have always been a problem and they seem be oblivious to the pricing of other stores online as well and that's a been a thing for years.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the company continues to blame digital games when other major retail stores don't report on that. It's got to be something more than that.
I don't think they're wrong. It's at least part of the reason. This is anecdotal as it relates to Gamestop, but switching to digital is 100% the reason that I stopped going there. Years ago when I bought a lot of games and traded the ones I finished toward new pre-orders, I was in there pretty frequently. But now with how convenient the digital storefronts have become, there's no need for a middleman.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Digital sales are well over half of the market now and that percentage is only increasing. Those people aren't all new customers, lots of people went digital primarily or only.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The last three times I went to GameStop to get a game they were only available to those who reserved a copy. I would then drive over to BB and they had it no problem. After that I decided why waste my time going to a store that only carries games based off of reserved preorders?

Someone that works there can correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that was just a tactic to get you to try to preorder. A lame tactic, sure. Like people would report things like Gamestop wouldn't sell them Call of Duty, c'mon now, you didn't order enough of the new Call of Duty to sell to people off the street?

Happened to me twice last year at eb. Mario maker 2 and marvel for switch. It wasn't even day 1! Having spent alot of money there for 20+ years, it was strange finding mario maker that weekend at the local pharmacy store (lol) but not at an actual video game store.

Have since gone digital, and simply buying less.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
I rarely buy digital (unless its a digital only title), and I havent bought anything from GS in probably 2 years. Without a trade in hook theyre a shitty retailer. Slow to adjust prices, poor stock, used prices too damn high. There is just no positive to use them over any where else.
I feel bad for the employees, the stress theyre dealing with is probably brutal.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Digital sales are well over half of the market now and that percentage is only increasing. Those people aren't all new customers, lots of people went digital primarily or only.
We're also transitioning into a new generation of young adults that grew up with tablets and smartphones. They never knew a world without digital.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
My friends at the store I used to work at have to keep a HAND WRITTEN LOG of every customer they told to bring in tech trades. It's insane. My old DM is a fucking psycho so this checks out.

I usually take Gamestop internet news with a grain of salt due to the agendas people have against them and the disregard some posters have for people losing their jobs but this is very real and sad. They're gonna lose a lot of employees due to this because the stress is just not worth it and the pay most definitely isn't either.

I'm glad I quit in 2013 when the Xbox One "no used games" thing happened. Yeah, they eventually reversed it, but I knew that with their reaction to that it would only get worse. 8 years was enough of my life wasted in that cesspit. (My store was good but corporate and my DM were awful. Even most of the customers weren't that bad. But Corporate and overzealous leadership is what will sink this ship for good.)

Most sales jobs with stupid executives have this shit. It's the equivalent of writing something down 500 times on a chalk board. They think punishment motivates people to do more and don't think about what a turn off it is for the customer. I'm so glad I don't have to do this shit.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Can't say this is surprising in any way. GameStop has responded to the changing times in all the worst ways possible. I have only gone in there once or twice a year for a few years now (always to buy a gift, where physical makes more sense), and it feels like 75% of the store isn't video games.

I even buy some of that stuff, but if I were going to buy a board game or Funko pop, it would never even enter my head to go to GameStop.

And maybe my least favorite thing about retail stores is being asked a million questions by employees. Stop that. That reminds me that the last time I went to buy a couple of shirts, the clothing store had some kind of church set up in the entrance, and they would NOT take "no" for an answer when I told them I wasn't interested. I've never said "fuck off" to a preacher before, but I came close that day, lol

Aug 27, 2018
Can't say this is surprising in any way. GameStop has responded to the changing times in all the worst ways possible. I have only gone in there once or twice a year for a few years now (always to buy a gift, where physical makes more sense), and it feels like 75% of the store isn't video games.

I even buy some of that stuff, but if I were going to buy a board game or Funko pop, it would never even enter my head to go to GameStop.

And maybe my least favorite thing about retail stores is being asked a million questions by employees. Stop that. That reminds me that the last time I went to buy a couple of shirts, the clothing store had some kind of church set up in the entrance, and they would NOT take "no" for an answer when I told them I wasn't interested. I've never said "fuck off" to a preacher before, but I came close that day, lol
I've got some super secret tech for situations like that, if you have headphones in you can just act like you don't hear them and keep walking. I do it to girl scouts that post up at my local grocery store every day.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Barnes & Noble did the same thing a number of years back (adding toys and games departments) and it seems to have helped them. I mean, in the end they'll probably end up going the same way as Gamestop eventually, but they bought themselves some time.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I've got some super secret tech for situations like that, if you have headphones in you can just act like you don't hear them and keep walking. I do it to girl scouts that post up at my local grocery store every day.
You know, I've never done that before, but I've thought about it. I don't really like to be out in the world with headphones in, just because I like to be aware of my surroundings as much as possible, but yeah, that's a decent idea for not dealing with these people.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Barnes & Noble did the same thing a number of years back (adding toys and games departments) and it seems to have helped them. I mean, in the end they'll probably end up going the same way as Gamestop eventually, but they bought themselves some time.
That's definitely true. I do feel like that's a much smaller percentage of the floor space, though, which is my main complaint. (Obviously it helps that B&N stores are generally much larger than GS.) Barnes and Noble were also in a position to start selling e-books, which I'm sure has helped some, too.

Adding a cafe also helped B&N a lot, because it makes you spend more time in their store and have another reason to go there. I've definitely kicked back and done some reading in B&N while I was out doing other things.

I don't know what would have saved GS, but maybe some kind of gaming cafe type setup could have been good. You could couple that with point cards (like for Fortnight or whatever), and maybe even try to snag some of the tabletop/card gaming crowd. But I bet most stores are too small to really make these kinds of changes.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely true. I do feel like that's a much smaller percentage of the floor space, though, which is my main complaint. (Obviously it helps that B&N stores are generally much larger than GS.) Barnes and Noble were also in a position to start selling e-books, which I'm sure has helped some, too.
I think what hurt B&N the most was the Nook. They invested so much money in that thing to develop the hardware and everything. In fact the CEO at the time ended up resigning as a result. What they should have done was just gone all-in on the app. It's much cheaper and quicker to focus on that, since people can use it right away on their existing phones and tablets.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I think what hurt B&N the most was the Nook. They invested so much money in that thing to develop the hardware and everything. In fact the CEO at the time ended up resigning as a result. What they should have done was just gone all-in on the app. It's much cheaper and quicker to focus on that, since people can use it right away on their existing phones and tablets.
I don't disagree with that. I just mostly think it was smart of them to sell e-books, and they are still doing that. Personally, I have a Kindle, and it certainly has caused me to buy fewer (but not zero!) physical books. Mostly what I don't physically buy anymore are cheap (~$5) trash scifi/fantasy books. Those things are taking up too much space as it is.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
They have no recourse. Too many other options now. Millions of people are going to order their console and games off amazon, or download them off PSN. Neither scenario requires that there be any middleman in the equation trying to sell you a preorder or asking if you want to trade your phone. And people can sell their games on facebook marketplace for market value and not peanuts. I mean why do you * really * need to go into Gamestop nowadays?

The biggest tragedy will be all the lost jobs and I hope those people land on their feet, but employees should be scrambling getting out their CVs now.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I hope EB Games Canada hangs on, they have good trade-in deals from time to time....
I believe EB Canada is not owned by US parent but rather a Canadian subsidiary. Similar to what happened when Circuit City closed shop in the US, but Radio Shack Canada (A subsidiary of Circuit City USA) survided and got bought out by a local company I believe. EB games as a brand is almost non-existant in the US, only in Canada are most store called Electronic Botique.