• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this'll play well with a controller on an Apple TV 4K for a console-ish experience.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what happens if you never fight any monsters or is there some kind of limit on how many you can store?

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
How does this look soooo great?! i love the diorama stuff, even if it clashes a bit with the 3d models. The story trailer showed some nice cutscenes, i was expecting a way more static approach to storytelling because of the diorama look. Only real issue i have right now is that the Diorama scenes in the features trailer were looking a bit flat lightning wise.

Super interesting! Sadly i am outside of the apple system, so here is hoping it will get ported sometime later.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
So what happens if you never fight any monsters or is there some kind of limit on how many you can store?

I saw in the top left an icon out of 30. And when you store monsters it goes up. so I think once you hit 30 you have to fight I imagine. and it's not 30 enemies I think each enemy has a point total but I have no idea thats what I got from the video.

Can't wait. I hope its a 20+ hr game with a decent/good story. need one of those on Apple TV

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Random encounters, even if they can be stacked, is still a no-go for me. It explicitly punishes exploration and investment into the narrative. It turns the map into an infinite battle generator rather than a space for narrative and exploration.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I wonder how many random encounters you can "bank" like this.....and do they all show up at once or can you pull them into a fight at your leisure? This sounds fascinating and I would totally save them all until I was near where I wanted to go.

I don't own anything Apple though, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aw, Apple only? This looked super interesting, but my household is just Android unfortunately. Hopefully they bring it elsewhere eventually. I really enjoy Mistwalker's output in general and having Nobuo Uematsu is icing on the cake.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this'll play well with a controller on an Apple TV 4K for a console-ish experience.
Yeah, I don't have an iPhone but we do have an Apple TV4K..

Either way the game looks really interesting, especially his comments about being inspired by Final Fantasy 6.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, I wish people would stop overthinking the random battle shit when Star Ocean and Persona already solved it: throw a representation of some of the enemies you'd fight on the field and give the player the option of engaging or avoiding the enemy entirely, also with the possibility of the enemy hitting you while you're moving about if you're not careful.

But on the other hand, I do like the idea of being able to stack encounters so you can fight a bunch of enemies all at once.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Looks freaking great. I love Lost Odyssey so I'll check it out eventually. I don't have a problem with Apple Arcade but I only have an iPhone and I've never gotten used to playing on it. Probably because I like to surf the net while I play games like a degenerate.

Oct 31, 2017
Did you watch the video? Saving up battles makes them even more fun since you fight them all at once -- they show like 12 enemies on the battlefield simultaneously and you can hit multiple enemies at a time with piercing attacks, so the fun becomes trying to take down a massive crowd in a single fight by using attacks that hit multiple enemies and that protect you from multiple attacks. Whereas a regular JRPG would make you fight basic baddies one at a time, here you can turn them into an army you fight all at once. Looks amazing!
I did

I don't see how it "looks amazing" tbh it looks like something that'll get old very quickly

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Port Begging
Would give it a try, but don't have Apple and can't afford it so... Android/Switch please?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Waiting for the new mini and i'll play this on that.

The driveby port begging is eye rolling.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Wow, someone needs to chill out with issuing drive by post warnings to members. It's getting out of hand. (ps, I know the rules in the forum, this just seemed especially egregious).

The diaroma look seems amazing. I enjoyed the art style in octopath traveler but ultimately I couldn't get through the game. It just felt like a slog. Maybe this new dimension you can send enemies too will liven things up; certainly can't hurt to innovate.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Looks...fine.
The dioramas are great. Trailer looked like a cross of Tales and PS1 era FF on a lower budget. Could be fun. I dont have a Apple device, so will hope for another platform, and that its better then ...most of mistwalkers stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
The idea behind the visuals is interesting, but the execution doesn't look cohesive enough for me on on a desktop seized screen). The perspective isn't 100% correct and the characters sport gigantic Dreamcast/PS2 era blob-shadows. On a desktop/new gen console where they could afford higher quality rendering effects (perhaps RT AO and Shadows, or even GI), this could've looked much more cohesive. I get that they wanted to do something unique, but it would've been a better idea to go all in on on the early 360/PS3 aesthic for the rest of the environments.

Combat looks neat, but why have individual battles in the first place when the mega battles save time and keep the pacing more brisk? Risk reward thing, or Gacha/mobile cooldown mechanics related?

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Combat looks neat, but why have individual battles in the first place when the mega battles save time and keep the pacing more brisk? Risk reward thing, or Gacha/mobile cooldown mechanics related?
I presume the random battle system is intended to eliminate the obnoxious old school JRPG thing where you walk two feet and then have to fight. Instead, you can do whatever you were doing/go where you were going and fight them all at once without switching constantly between gameplay styles.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Really not interested in investing into yet another closed ecosystem and shiny doodad just for this. The diorama aspects looks like the most interesting thing about it, but it's attached to a very generic sounding JRPG plot. It's got an old school prerendered background thing goin on, but the choppy camera swap animation kind of gives me a headache. So, pass probably.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Looks even better than my already high expectations. Like, legit cutscenes and everything, putting some recent SE releases to shame.

Also, Uematsu going extra hard.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
While I am not a fan of Lost Odyssey, I still have faith that Sakaguchi could put together an excellent RPG in the modern era. Maybe this will be that game? I don't love the character designs, and some of the settings look a little generic, but other elements look really nice (I appreciate the "diorama" approach, which harkens back to the golden age of the genre). This is, at the very least, a very intriguing game. I'm going to keep an eye on it (though, like others here, I don't know what it would take to convince me to buy it for a phone, but it would be a lot).

Saving up for one big exciting showdown seems much more fun than having to deal with many small dull battles.

The stacking system seems SUPER cool. I think that is a fun/interesting compromise.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I had to check myself on how I judged this first look. If it was an indie studio production I'd be pretty impressed but it's not right to call Mistwalker an indie studio right? I'm not going to judge it like other AAA or AA games, but how would you classify this kind of production?

I think it's really heartwarming seeing Uematsu get back in the saddle when Sakaguchi comes calling for him. I love that so much. That said, they're both really way past their prime in producing interesting creative content. Uematsu hasn't moved me with his compositions since FF9 maybe? But as I say that, Hollow was pretty good for Remake so I hope he makes me eat my words.

Also game writing standards is a lot higher than back in Sakaguchi's day. Since he's taking it upon himself to write the whole story solo, he's really got to grow with the times because I'm not interested in a tropey retread type of coming of age amnesiac teenager story.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
This looks really good. Pretty impressed with the dioramas and the dimengion idea.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
the idea of letting people put off the combat/battles is interesting and makes me think it was maybe built with a phone in mind. Play the story bits on tv or when you have extended free time, but if you're waiting in line somewhere pull out your phone and get a bunch of random battling out of the way? Interested to see how they execute it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quite like the art for this. as well as its method for handling random encounters

Jan 11, 2018
The backgrounds look nice. The character models not so much. Very generic anime style JRPG designs. Would have been amazing if the characters looked more like claymation or dolls.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Something i noticed in the trailer. That thing about attacking multiple foes in a straight or curved line reminds me a whole lot of Opoona, that weirdass Wii Jrpg.

Combat footage on 1:40.

Hard to judge only watching seconds of the combat but i don't like how the regular enemies seems to always die in one hit, btw.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the one downside to the aesthetic is that the character models' lighting don't match the worlds. they could have positioned a light source in a similar location as the real world light so there would be some semblance of continuity

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
The backgrounds look nice. The character models not so much. Very generic anime style JRPG designs. Would have been amazing if the characters looked more like claymation or dolls.
I imagine generic anime design is the lowest common denominator to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible compared to making truly unique and unusual character design and models.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I dont love the look or jrpgs much in the first place but that random encounter idea is fuckin genius.

Good on em!