• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm interested and hope it's only a timed exclusive. Love the FFIX vibe from that first image.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Might pick up an Apple TV just for this.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Looks good, but like I said in the trailer thread the Dimengeon system is nothing new despite the article's proclamation. TWEWY did something similar (plus Bravely Default 2 just shipped with another take on it), and this is just applying that to random encounters.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
It's a little sad to me that RPG trumpet their solutions to the "random battle problem" in their advertising so prominently, still in the year 2021.

Random battles have been the least of the genres issues for a really long time.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Not my type of game but I love the diorama gimmick and the Dimengion features, very creative.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
The highest numbers I've seen for an estimate of Apple Arcade subscriber numbers is between 10 and 15 million, and I've seen several estimates well below that.

You seem to be wildly overestimating the potential playerbase.
I'm pretty sure Mistwalker is not overestimating the potential player base on other platforms when they decided to take this deal.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The delayed random encounter system seems interesting. I hope this comes to Switch at some point. I hate playing games on my phone.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Have zero interest in apple as an ecosystem at all, so I'll likely wait until it reaches other platforms as well. Definitely looks neat though!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I've been saving a trial so I can play this on the Apple TV but I've just realized I have no idea how to control a game on the Apple TV. Guess I have time to figure that out.

Oct 31, 2017
Not interested in anything from Sakaguchi that's on mobile

To rephrase, idc what platform this eventually comes on, I'm never gonna play it. Looks entirely underwhelming in every way and the soundtrack sounds very unpleasant.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Also the Dimengion system seems a little odd... a game shouldn't focus on designs that avoid (or procrastinate) battles.... it's like admitting that the battles in your game are unfun. The player should want to enter battles

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Also the Dimengion system seems a little odd... a game shouldn't focus on designs that avoid (or procrastinate) battles.... it's like admitting that the battles in your game are unfun. The player should want to enter battles
Did you watch the video? Saving up battles makes them even more fun since you fight them all at once -- they show like 12 enemies on the battlefield simultaneously and you can hit multiple enemies at a time with piercing attacks, so the fun becomes trying to take down a massive crowd in a single fight by using attacks that hit multiple enemies and that protect you from multiple attacks. Whereas a regular JRPG would make you fight basic baddies one at a time, here you can turn them into an army you fight all at once. Looks amazing!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Did you watch the video? Saving up battles makes them even more fun since you fight them all at once -- they show like 12 enemies on the battlefield simultaneously and you can hit multiple enemies at a time with piercing attacks, so the fun becomes trying to take down a massive crowd in a single fight by using attacks that hit multiple enemies and that protect you from multiple attacks. Whereas a regular JRPG would make you fight basic baddies one at a time, here you can turn them into an army you fight all at once. Looks amazing!

It seems...optional as well? Like you could theoretically fight less of them to have an easier challenge if you want.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Hope Apple is serious in supporting their gaming platform.
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I've been fine with what they've done with the Arcade sub. My s/o got big into Sneaky Sasquatch, so we ended up splurging on the year's subscription. Then, just as that was ending, they rolled it into the bundle, so now we're effectively getting it for free (the cloud storage tier + family music sub we used to have was more than the highest tier, so we got that instead). It's not Game Pass, and you're not going to be getting hundred-hour RPGs or big multiplayer shooters, but it's also 1/3 the price of Game Pass. I like how there's been a lot of variety and that the games themselves are shorter, even if the phone/tablet controls aren't the greatest and the TV box desperately needs an upgrade.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great!

I have no interest in mobile gaming but I'll definitely give this a go on my Apple TV.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It seems...optional as well? Like you could theoretically fight less of them to have an easier challenge if you want.
Exactly, it's a really neat idea. You can fight enemies one at a time if you want to grow more steadily with less of a challenge, or you can bank enemies for one huge brawl that you approach with different strategies focused on crowd control and multi-hit attacks. I love it.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hope this works well on the Apple TV since we have one of those.

Any news on when it comes out?

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great. Apple products are prohibitively expensive for many tho and I am upset that I won't be able to play this as a non-apple product owner.

(Did I do it right?)

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Seems like hell to balance it though.

If the traditional Jrpg had 15 enemies in combat in a context where the normal was like 3, it would be just impossible to survive. If this game makes it possible to just easily defeat big groups of enemies, it would be just too easy. If the idea of this game is that a player would play normally through battles with 3 enemies while another one is waiting to get 5 battles to acumulate and get 15 enemies, it will be either too hard or completely brain dead easy.

Some Jrpgs make bonus encounters when the player does stuff like approaching 2 enemies in the field at the same time but it's never something like the 2 groups of enemies at the same for obvious reasons.

If it's really how it works in Fantasian, it seems like an announced disaster. But i believe Sakaguchi's team is smart enough to get that and we still need to understand this system better.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The random encounters made me wince, but the feature to collect them or whatever for one big battle seems interesting - but nevertheless, the random and sudden battles always stress me the fuck out, so I'm not sure I can stomach it even if they try to put a spin on it

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
This looks amazing! Finally, a game I can look forward to playing on my iPhone!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like hell to balance it though.

If the traditional Jrpg had 15 enemies in combat in a context where the normal was like 3, it would be just impossible to survive. If this game makes it possible to just easily defeat big groups of enemies, it would be just too easy. If the idea of this game is that a player would play normally through battles with 3 enemies while another one is waiting to get 5 battles to acumulate and get 15 enemies, it will be either too hard or completely brain dead easy.

Some Jrpgs make bonus encounters when the player does stuff like approaching 2 enemies in the field at the same time but it's never something like the 2 groups of enemies at the same for obvious reasons.

If it's really how it works in Fantasian, it seems like an announced disaster. But i believe Sakaguchi's team is smart enough to get that and we still need to understand this system better.
Like you say, there are probably other elements to the battle system that we don't yet understand. For example, maybe when you bank enemies, you also bank the resources needed to fight them. And so it's not a matter of the group fight being harder, but rather, a matter of approaching the group battle with different tactics that use your accumulated resources in a different way. This is just an idea, though. I'm confident they designed the system with balance in mind.