• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
6_4k.0.jpeg

Fantasian, the new adventure from Hironobu Sakaguchi's studio Mistwalker, is a classic Japanese role-playing game at heart. Fantasian has it all: turn-based battles, an amnesiac hero, a cast of pretty protagonists on interweaving adventures, and, of course, an airship.

But Fantasian stands out for one design decision that has garnered attention. Mistwalker's RPG was built using more than 150 handcrafted physical dioramas. The game's 3D characters are overlaid on top of them. The miniatures-based environments give the game a unique sense of charm and warmth, Sakaguchi said in an interview with Polygon, and helped inform Fantasian's game mechanics.

Fantasian features a system that twists how players deal with random monster encounters. Unlike the classic Final Fantasy games that Sakaguchi created, where a fight with a group of enemies could arrive unexpectedly, Fantasian lets players deal with random encounters ... later. Mistwalker calls it the Dimengeon system — a mashup of dimension and dungeon — and it sends the monsters that players encounter to an alternate dimension. Players can then jump into a Dimengeon when they want and enjoy the satisfaction of wiping them all out at once.

battle4_Additional.jpeg

Fantasian has many familiar Final Fantasy elements, Sakaguchi said, including "collecting information in different towns, talking to NPCs, traversing dungeons, random encounters and turn-based combat."

"But in the spirit of Final Fantasy development at the time, we always wanted to challenge the status quo, push the boundaries and bring some innovation to the genre," he said. The Dimengeon system was born from that, he said, and as a result of the game's platforms. Fantasian is being released via Apple Arcade, and is designed with touchscreen controls in mind. Sakaguchi said the developers found it fun to explore Fantasian's diorama environments by placing pins on the map and swiftly moving around, but that being interrupted by random encounters altered the game's flow.

Sakaguchi wrote Fantasian's story. He's joined on the project by famed Final Fantasy composer and longtime collaborator Nobuo Uematsu, who wrote the score for Fantasian.

Mistwalker plans to release Fantasian sometime in 2021. The game is coming to Apple Arcade, the subscription service that launched in 2019, and will be playable on Apple TV, Mac computers, iPhone, and iPad.
www.polygon.com

Final Fantasy creator’s new game has a cool diorama look and rethinks random encounters

Fantasian’s miniature dioramas give the game a distinct visual style

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I absolutely love hand-crafted aesthetics in games. Wish this was on Switch because I don't touch mobile gaming and don't own any Apple stuff.

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
Love it when games try to look original and experiment a bit with art direction. Not everything needs to be ultra-realistic.

Hopefully the game itself is fun, it's looking great so far!

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Fuck I absolutely love hand-crafted aesthetics in games. Wish this was on Switch because I don't touch mobile gaming and don't own any Apple stuff.
if current trends hold up it'll be exclusive to apple arcade for a year and then get a switch release

it's pretty notable how many apple arcade games follow this exact trajectory, especially from japanese developers

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of thing that will 100% get me to sub to Apple Arcade again.

Oct 27, 2017
This fighting monsters later thing sounded like a game feature, but the more i think about it, its prob a f2p feature somehow

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I have to wonder if Apple paid a hefty amount (or helped with development or something) to get this as an Arcade exclusive.

It looks cool as hell and I'd absolutely play it day one on Switch or something, but making it a phone/ipad game just kneecaps any interest I, or many others I'm sure, had.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I'll check out streams since they don't want my money.
I love these kind of silly it's all about me posts. Nope they don't want your money. They chose to put it specially on Apple Arcade because they don't want your money instead of it being where they could get the best dev deal for the initial release.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This looks so great but I don't own an apple device.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I subbed to Apple Arcade at launch, happy it's almost here.

The Dimengeon system sounds awesome, especially if you only have a few minutes to sneak in some dungeon crawling. I've kind of grown tired of formulaic JRPGs so I'm really keen to see how they challenge genre conventions, especially to better fit the mobile format in terms of expected playtime per session. Shorter, more systemically lightweight RPGs have always been winners for me so I'm hoping that's the case here. The 3DS's Crimson Shroud was an example of something that felt experimental but played to the strengths of handheld gaming back when it was released, as one example.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is people bitching about Apple Arcade not the same shit as console warring? See it so much in threads about mobile games. It's such an antiquated opinion.

Cool, you don't care. Don't post about it. Oh, you want it on another platform? Who cares.

Game looks sick. Can't wait to see some footage.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
User Warned: drive-by posting
Looks aweso-

'Apple Arcade'

...oh. Hit me up when it's on a console/PC.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Looks awesome and I'd be willing to check out Apple Arcade for this. Sucks this isn't out for my three month trial haha.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I love these kind of silly it's all about me posts. Nope they don't want your money. They chose to put it specially on Apple Arcade because they don't want your money instead of it being where they could get the best dev deal for the initial release.
You are correct, as was my post. Thanks for providing further detail. They clearly got a sweet deal from Apple and I don't fault them for taking the money.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great software overcomes platform choices. If this is good I'll find some way to buy and enjoy it.

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
Will definitely have a look at it when it releases somewhere else! (Not port begging or Apple Arcade bashing, I just don't have the devices)

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really like that they seemingly mandate AppleTV versions and controller support with Apple Arcade.

I genuinely wonder how a "Switch only? No thanks" discourse for example would fly over.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks very good.

Hopefully does well for them, I'm not sure how the financials of Apple Arcade work tbh

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Video thumbnail made me pass it by, but reading the description made me click on it and it actually looks kind of cool.

Sup with this rock tho

dzzKymo.png

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Arcade can be pretty dope. Every Apple Arcade game has controller support, so just connect any controller to your iPad and you have a pretty solid gaming experience.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
This is a day one re-subscribe to Apple Arcade looking game to me. That dimengeon system looks really neat. With this and Bravely Default 2 2021 is shaping up to be a great year for jrpg lovers.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Looking forward to this. I love that Apple arcade games sync the save data across all the different devices I use.