• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Inb4 posts on release day saying they'll boycott the game due to the font.
But speaking seriously, from what I've seen online I think Bluepoint managed this game quite well when it comes to pissing off the fans of the original

I actually like the font.

I must be some kind of philistine!

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Difficulty is highly subjective due to playstyle of each person and skillsets, I for example found Sekiro to be the easiest ''Souls'' by far and Bloodborne to be way more difficult. So a person can easily consider this game insanely hard regardless of how you feel.
Sekiro is the only game you cant summon in, so it is legitimately the hardest.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It sounds like they turned Grass into Blood Vials when they should have turned it into Estus Flasks.

It's an improvement, but they should have gone further

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Really bummed that there are items exclusive to the Digital deluxe version.

I just preordered the standard edition yesterday.

This is really fucked up and also...

"Everything that was in the original PlayStation 3 version is in the standard edition of the game," Moore said, when asked about new items and equipment coming to Demon's Souls as part of the game's digital deluxe edition. "So nobody's missing out on anything..."

That's not what 'not missing out' means.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it looks fantastic. I think I'll play Bloodborne after that. Much more excited by this launch lineup compared to PS4.
Please do, Bloodborne is absolutely incredible and you should play it eventually even if you end up not liking Souls that much imo.
I agree wholeheartedly. Bloodborne and DeS have a basic common core but they play and unfold very differently. And Bloodborne boasts some of the best bosses and most fun and intricate level designs ever created in an action RPG. Plus the art direction is mindblowing.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed that they kept the weight system from the original. Thought that would have been on the chopping block.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why go out of your way to say how all the core stuff is in but then make it so the grass weighs more, that was a good part of the original where if you were having a tough time you could farm grass and get through stuff. Sucks about the broken archstone as well.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
They must have retuned the drop rates for grass to go with the rework of how much you can carry, right?

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Why go out of your way to say how all the core stuff is in but then make it so the grass weighs more, that was a good part of the original where if you were having a tough time you could farm grass and get through stuff. Sucks about the broken archstone as well.
So you are annoyed that that they made chances and annoyed that they didn't makes changes?

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Personally kinda wish they had gone a bit further with gameplay changes, but glad there are additions...

For a remake I'm always looking for more than just authenticity and a one to one recreation of the original, leave that to remasters.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I know the game went gold last month or so ... but is there any chance they'll add some changes to World Tendency? Making it easier to check what tendency you're in is a little improvement, but the system itself is so bad ... god.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So you are annoyed that that they made chances and annoyed that they didn't makes changes?
I mean, that's kind of how opinions work right, of course you can want one thing changed and not want another thing changed. You can not like tomatoes but still like ketchup, differentiation and nuance exists.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
So much good stuff. Being able to see world tendency on the HUD is great. They also managed to get most of the original cast to record their lines again. This game has my favorite NPCs in the series and they are one of the reasons why Demon's is my favorite game in the series.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Does it still have the totally weightless ragdolls that flop all over the place as you drag them across the level with your feet? No buy if not

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've played the original a few times and I STILL don't fully understand World Tendencies. So I looked it up. And I still don't fully understand World Tendencies.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Okay, I do not like the idea of limited grass. Non-refreshing recovery items kinda sucked, but at least you always had enough that you rarely had to grind them. With a limited supply I'm worried this'll go the route of Bloodborne where you just have to stop progressing at multiple points to farm recovery items. It was easily the worst part of the game, and I'm not sure it's worth the change in DeS just to better balance PVP.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Worth noting that this combined with the lack of accessibility options (such as any settings to slow down the game, or change health / damage and overall difficulty), this makes the game less accessible than the original. In the original, holding a large amount of healing items provided a means in which players could brute-force their way through encounters, so that players who maybe were less able could taylor the experience to be more forgiving, for them.

I don't have a problem with the Estus system that's featured in the later Souls games, but I think Demon's Souls' grass system wasn't without it's merits too, and I think it's a little disappointing to see that happen.

It's like how people say that summoning is an 'accessibility option' in Souls games. It's an indirect means in which you can reduce the difficulty level, and effectively brute force your way through an encounter that was for whatever reason, too challenging for you. It's the same with the grass system in DS, it was a means in which the player could adapt the difficulty manually, and while I can see the merits of its removal (especially for balancing out PVP), it hits players that benefited from that accessibility feature much harder than others.

AuGanymede

Jun 11, 2020
Well, from a pure graphical standpoint I'm a little disappointed to be honest. Deep Down demo from 2013 still looks better in my opinion (if you exclude the resolution difference).

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I want to go blind into a new playthrough but the world tendency stuff makes me want to take out the strategy guide that came with the original's LE.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they could make a short video showing some of these settings, mostly the combination of the classic camera with the yellow filter.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
The grass change has me a little worried as I kind of suck at Dark Souls. I managed to beat DS1 but honestly I'm not sure how I ever managed to pull that off.