• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
when everything shown of Cyberpunk 2077 so far has so completely sanitized of sexuality

Wasn't the very first look we got of Cyberpunk 2077 a half-naked rain-soaked woman in the street?

Even got so popular that they gave out model figures of her at E3 2018.

wHO4mw2.jpg

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This just reads so hollow when everything shown of Cyberpunk 2077 so far has so completely sanitized of sexuality and LGBT representation. Nothing shown so far makes it seem like brazen depictions of objectified sexuality aren't still considered taboo in Night City, which makes the advertisement just popping up on a wall seem more like an attempt to be obscene and absurd. It feels mocking. Especially when the advertisement's design is rooted in the modern world's framing of - "Oh, a sexy woman! Ah, surprise, there's a penis. Mix it up! It's a joke!" which just comes across as bigotry in the guise of trying to be edgy.
We are talking about a picture taken from Nvidia's ray tracing demonstration, wherein someone zoomed in all the way to the back so that they could even see the particular piece of art we're talking about. They weren't exactly trying to show it off.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Fair statement. Looking forward to see how it holds up in the full game.

I think it's a reasonable point of view and its inclusion in the game is fine. People need to realize that things in media can and often do serve a narrative purpose.

True. Some games need the equivalent of "Scenes depicted in this game don't necessarily represent opinions of the developers", even though it's mostly implied.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Finally actual responses from them on their subject matter. Just speak up beforehand. If you are going to have a quest with a racist trope and only demo part of that question, let people know.

They can fall (very) short of their goals.

Whether or not this response is enough isn't up for me to decide; those voices of those who are affected by such portrayals should be heard and listened to.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The first trailer literally has you have a one night stand and at anotehr point you rescue a naked women that has her breasts constantly dangling in the camera.. sanitized? Yeah nah.

Wasn't the very first look we got of Cyberpunk 2077 a half-naked rain-soaked woman in the street? Even got so popular that they gave out model figures of her at E3 2018.

There's a world of difference between advertising status quo sexuality as that's acceptable in the modern lens as normalized vs. using sexual imagery such as LGBT sexuality that isn't status quo framed as the "obscene and absurd."

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
"Once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds."

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
This explanation makes perfect sense to me, it's just it comes after these other questionable problems regarding stereotypes and of course the social media stuff that happened more than once if I recall.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

So the content of the ad was intended to be offensive. People who were saying that the ad was cool and empowering etc. completely missed CDPR's point. And, in fact, showed themselves to be part of the problem.

It would be if the ad had featured blatant misogyny and objectification, and women said it was offensive, and then dudebros answered "no that chick is hot, what's the problem? it's empowering!", then CDPR said "actually that ad is intended to be offensive".

It's encouraging that the CDPR artist fully understands that and is presenting this as social commentary, too.

Pretty much.

Now, I'm gonna need a explanation from them on the way they apparently treat a group of Haitian descendants as caricatures.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Interesting.

So the content of the ad was intended to be offensive. People who were saying that the ad was cool and empowering etc. completely missed CDPR's point. And, in fact, showed themselves to be part of the problem.

It would be if the ad had featured blatant misogyny and objectification, and women said it was offensive, and then dudebros answered "no that chick is hot, what's the problem? it's empowering!", then CDPR said "actually that ad is intended to be offensive".

It's encouraging that the CDPR artist fully understands that and is presenting this as social commentary, too.
I agree with you but i need to see more about the game. V seems like a douche after all.

Oct 25, 2017
The response itself errs on the side of decent but I'm not convinced of the game as a whole. Hopefully they are at least listening and taking the criticism seriously and make an effort to properly contextualize this in-game. I still think it's a pretty dumb move to use this in marketing material without an explanation of this sort accompanying it, but meh. More interested in what other people think of this than my own opinion tbh.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's kind of hard to glean too much from the ad in isolation.

It's gonna live or die by how strong of a satirical undercurrent there is throughout the whole game. Well, that and through the actual LGBT representation that exists outside of the in-world marketing.

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): drive-by trolling, previous infractions for similar
and then here will come the wave telling that they know better than the "art director" the meaning of the art she directed

let's go

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I expect cyberpunk too be one of, if not, the best rpg of gen. also, given cdpr's history I expect it to be problematic. weather any person an ignore that or not is a invidul choice.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a solid response, legitimately sounds like they had a reasoning for it and not "OH THIS ONE PERSON FUCKED UP" kind of thing.

"Once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds."

Do you want a Kojima Cyberpunk game?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This just reads so hollow when everything shown of Cyberpunk 2077 so far has been so completely sanitized of sexuality and LGBT representation. Nothing shown so far makes it seem like brazen depictions of objectified sexuality aren't still considered taboo in Night City, which makes the advertisement just popping up on a wall seem more like an attempt to be obscene and absurd. It feels mocking. Especially when the advertisement's design is designed similarly to bigoted jokes about trans people - "Oh, a sexy woman! Ah, surprise, there's a penis. Mix it up! Don't take it personally, It's a joke." which just comes across as bigotry in the guise of edgy social commentary.
I guess the question is how much of this is down to the game and how much of it is down to the game's marketing. Like, are LGBTQ characters and issues treated like an afterthought in the game itself or is the marketing department just coming in and saying "Alright, we think including this in trailers is going to piss off our gamergate fans so let's just pretend it's not there." Both options are shitty, of course, but I'd personally rather have the second one be true than the first one.

Oct 25, 2017
This just reads so hollow when everything shown of Cyberpunk 2077 so far has been so completely sanitized of sexuality and LGBT representation. Nothing shown so far makes it seem like brazen depictions of objectified sexuality aren't still considered taboo in Night City, which makes the advertisement just popping up on a wall seem more like an attempt to be obscene and absurd. It feels mocking. Especially when the advertisement's design is designed similarly to bigoted jokes about trans people - "Oh, a sexy woman! Ah, surprise, there's a penis. Mix it up! Don't take it personally, It's a joke." which just comes across as bigotry in the guise of edgy social commentary.

This sums it up well.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
It is definitely something that 100% fits in a cyberpunk dystopia, the only question was whether CDPR could handle it appropriately given their recent history with trans issues. I'm hopeful they get it but I'm still wary at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in the other thread:

"Their defense lives or dies on them offering non-gender locked character customization.

Not holding my breath tho. I'm in the "simply lip-service" camp."

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the depiction of this, among other themes, is to explore the exploitation of people and it was intended be offensive for the sake of that exploration?

That seems fine to me.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
User banned (1 week): concern trolling and misrepresenting users concerns
I don't understand why it's been considered not only okay but almost obligatory for this community to basically backhand-shame anyone that would find a pretty woman with those features to be attractive. I'm not even being remotely sarcastic or joking. I've been partial to that sort of thing myself, admitted at risk of becoming a target or paraiah on what's acceptable, and what's gaudy/wrong/insulting/whatever that billboard is supposed to be.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I feel like this would've worked better as a response had they previously shown literally any evidence of trans/non-binary people existing within this world before this poster, rather than just us having to go on this as a claim that they do.

Because while I feel like the explanation is fair devoid of context, I think there's fair reason to be wary of their word when it comes to this stuff, given previous events.

Regardless, I'm cis, so I don't feel like I should be the arbiter of whether or not this is OK, nor should other cis people in this thread declare themselves as such.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I would also say that the backlash over this is actually something we as a community need to think about - It reminds me a lot of the way people reacted to The Red Strings Club. If we want games to continue to deal with these issues, we need to find a better way to have conversations about this than immediate backlash (though that said - I think CDPR specifically have earned suspicion with their past comments.)

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that makes sense. Its an ultra capitalist society and they gonna advertise very heavily.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
good repsonse, and I get what they're going for, but with their history on the subject it's a tough sell. They have a lot of making up to do.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-By Trolling
To me it was clear that this was the intention and it felt quite fitting into the world of Cyberpunk 2077. I think she articulated the place of this ad in the setting well.
same

It was funny how people got into the bangwaggon of hate so fast, like they needed to reason to hate something before even knowing the facts

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like any game that attempts to approach something uncomfortable seems to inevitably get backlash these days even if it was the intended message. I don't know but it's starting to feel like every dev needs to put a disclaimer with these things which would be unfortunate.

Or maybe this was more because of their past history, it's hard to say.
Completely disagree. Games with something to say are held in extremely high regard in spite of other shortcomings. See: Spec Ops The Line.

same

It was funny how people got into the bangwaggon of hate so fast, like they needed to reason to hate something before even knowing the facts
Speak for yourself and get your bullshit boogeyman gaslighting somewhere else.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I mean, it was easily taken as a way to hate on trans people with the previous tweets they've had, even if they did a half-assed apology.

But this seems like a fair response. It's only fair that a cyberpunk world would show how much signal boosting companies can do just to make you purchase their new stuff.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

Those posters played themselves.

This makes me feel a lot better about the game art direction. Though I would like to know more about the dialogue of the protagonist and how race is portrayed.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
This is what I assumed were the intentions from the get go so its good to see confirmation. Its a pretty shitty future so I get it. However, they really should address the stereotype stuff while they're at it too just to cover their bases

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there really any way for a developer to "win" when making a game depicting a dystopian future though? It really seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. They want to depict a future that's unfavourable, but in a video game that exists in real life. If you misrepresent something in the world, it's going to look bad if they do it on purpose, and it's going to look bad if they don't do it but the game still takes place in a dystopian future but releases in our current climate.

I'm not trying to make excuses, it really just seems as though no matter what they might do when making a game like this, there'll always be someone who doesn't consider it to be sensitive or empathetic towards a certain group of people. I have to imagine that even if they had a focus group helping them with material like this, there would still be someone either with different views, or who sees a well-represented individual existing in a dystopian future as a negative aspect.

Even with the taxi driver thing - if the world is supposed to be dystopian..would this not be the right way to approach it? That people of a certain ethnicity are relegated to certain career choices etc.? What if they had a middle-eastern CEO in a certain cinematic, would someone in a crowd not say "oh so in a dystopian future middle-eastern people are CEOs? Cool..."

I'll admit I can certainly learn a lot more in this department, but even after I read what seems to be a quite rational and well thought out response, there are people in this thread condemning it.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
CDPRs handling of this makes me feel super uncomfortable.

of this issue in particular? i think she explained it pretty well, and she even goes on to say that this image is not only a representation of society in the game, but also supposed to be jarring in its' oversexualization - just like advertisements are today. in the past tho, yeah, Red has def had issues with this stuff. but i am satisfied with the reply this time. it seems she really thought out the image and this isnt just a ham-fisted quick PR response.