• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
While I enjoyed the reveal and direction of the game, I'm not naive. It's 2019 and there is undoubtedly going to be GaaS elements to Borderlands 3. The trailer just doesn't show or even hint at what way they're going to take them.

Personally I'm hoping they follow the previous games choices, anything related to your weapons and gear you can get from just playing the game and completing missions but they will offer a number of decent sized expansions for a sensible price at regular intervals.

That's just me though and I'm a staunch advocate of loot games not forcing you to pay to get best loot.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
While I enjoyed the reveal and direction of the game, I'm not naive. It's 2019 and there is undoubtedly going to be GaaS elements to Borderlands 3. The trailer just doesn't show or even hint at what way they're going to take them.

Personally I'm hoping they follow the previous games choices, anything related to your weapons and gear you can get from just playing the game and completing missions but they will offer a number of decent sized expansions for a sensible price at regular intervals.

That's just me though and I'm a staunch advocate of loot games not forcing you to pay to get best loot.

This 100%. I didn't think it was a bad trailer it just did nothing for me because it told me nothing about what the end product would be other than it has multiple planets and a billion guns. I guess I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop where they reveal the 7 different editions, talk about persistent online hub gathering zones, marketplace or auction house where you can buy the guns with guns with one of several different types of in game currency (which itself can be purchased with real money), etc.

Polygon is worried about it not being different enough from past iterations and I'm more worried about not being enough like Borderlands 2 and what systems they're adding to the game designed to empty my pockets before it searches my couch cushions for spare change.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the game will be fine but the trailer failed to highlight the new stuff. To end it with the game having a billion guns isn't exactly a highlight as that was the marketing point for all the previous ones as well.

Joegrine_25

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trinidad and Tobago
Kinda Agree with Polygon here. Borderlands never really excited me per say. Played it with some friends and got bored of it on the 5th day. Boredomlands..hopefully the game changes my mind when it comes out...or least a lil more info that's coming soon.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand the people angrily defending the game in this thread, posting sarcastic comments like

"lul - people wanted borderlands - they gave us more borderlands - people get mad- lul"

For a bunch of gaming enthusiasts, it's just a weird reaction to Polygon's take (as well as the take of many on here). Not everyone wants the same thing over and over again, in fact I'd wager most gamers prefer being surprised by something they didn't know they wanted, or even just 'more of the same, but new stuff with it'. They didn't really show a single new game mechanic in there, or a revamped visual gimmick. I said it in another thread, but even just including something like flight vehicles and air combat or something would've been really neat - just things like that which show they'd be building on what makes the game great, vs the same old thing again and again. That one quick shot of the big city was the coolest part of that trailer, because it was still very much Borderlands, but it was a setting we've never seen in that world before. That's the kind of stuff that excites me.

And while maybe asking for a change in art style would be too significant and would take away from the series' identity, just look at what they did with the Wind Waker remake. The original had much more of that "cel shaded" look, while the second did something different and almost rounded everything out, making it look really smooth. I'm not even advocating for that specifically, but there are ways they can make Borderlands look new without completely changing it, but it kind of looks like they just went for smaller upgrades - which is fine, but for those would expect big things out of a sequel that's taken so long - it can be disappointing.

RIsk of Rain 2 as a trailer for a sequel to another game I really loved was way more exciting to me - maybe that says more than the words above.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the game will be fine but the trailer failed to highlight the new stuff. To end it with the game having a billion guns isn't exactly a highlight as that was the marketing point for all the previous ones as well.

I mean, given the worries I've seen voiced by many over the potential prospect of Borderlands 3 being turned into a full on Destiny/Anthem style GaaS game. I think this was the best possible way Gearbox could do a reveal trailer. It's basically a trailer that tells borderlands fans that this is the kind of game they want.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda Agree with Polygon here. Borderlands never really excited me per say. Played it with some friends and got bored of it on the 5th day. Boredomlands..hopefully the game changes my mind when it comes out...or least a lil more info that's coming soon.
A trailer for a series you don't like doesn't excite you?

OK.

Joegrine_25

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trinidad and Tobago
A trailer for a series you don't like doesn't excite you?

OK.
Albeit when borderlands 2 came out ppl told me it was their GOTY so i went in the game with open arms. Then i played it....but that doesn't mean BL3 will be the same, it could be better, I'm willing to try it out. its not that i dont like the series just part 2 didnt go well with me. So saying i don't like the series is a bit over the top...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing I will admit about the trailer it's that the track they used was nowhere near as hype inducing as Fools Rhythm. I think it was a good choice for a stage setting trailer but I feel they should go in harder for the next ones, especially since Rage 2 is going kind of ham on the whole anarchy angle. If they're in need for more banger tracks for a future trailer I got a few suggestions that I think could make for legendary trailer material.

Ital Tek - Cobra
The Prodigy - Boom Boom Tap (alternatively from the same band: The Day Is My Enemy)
Sonic Mayhem - Doomsday
Hyper - Clockwork
Knife Party - Boss Mode

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm holding out hope that they mix up the mechanics or do something different. I enjoy Borderlands but they are in the same spot as Fallout where they need to put some life back into it with some new hooks. The people that are getting really defensive about this love Borderlands for what it is and just want a new excuse to run though the same game play loop but with different locations, which is fine. But there are fans that want more and there are new players that may become Borderland fans.

I see video games the same as music. You don't want an artist to do the same thing over and over again. That's how you become irrelevant. Sure, you're hardcore fans will still love it but you will lose fans. If you take some chances, sure, you may piss off the hardcore fans but you'll get some new fans a long the way.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Trailer without info dump was a mistake.

Because if the leaks are true (and they are, probably), this will be a nice enough of an evolution of Borderlands 2. More than 1 active skill and various planets is enough for me to be honest.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, screw the fans! They should focus on making a game for those that didn't like the previous games. Worked out well for Destiny 2!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, day 1 content for destiny 1/2 and anthem was as immense as borderlands 2. I forgot
we are not talking day one. We are talking complete packages and both Destiny 1 and 2 Complete packages so far are just as good as Borderlands 2. I love Borderlands 2 but praising one game and shitting on another for no reason makes no sense.

Oct 29, 2017
Disagree. I've played hundreds of hours of the Borderlands series and I'm not looking for some kind of quantum leap. If it's a solid continuation of the series with incremental improvements, I'm 100% cool with that.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

BL2 was a GaaS title so of course BL3 will also be a GaaS title. I just hope they stick closer to how they handled BL2 post launch than how other GaaS title have handled post launch.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd love to know how many of the people who were hyping up Anthem and Fallout 76, despite it being painfully obviously those games were going to launch as poor products, also now find the reveal of Borderlands 3 to be disappointing

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Era begging the last couple of years for a new Borderlands game.
Era gets new Borderlands game and gameplay reveal.
Era: Why is it so much like Borderlands!!!

Truth.

Then again, standards change. Lol.

Hmmm is a game like borderlands still going to be as compelling as it once did..I wonder.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Off topic. Borderlands 2 is five bucks on Steam. Wondering if I should buy it. I don't have the first one nor have I ever played a Borderlands game but the current 20 bucks price tag isn't making me make a move.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, screw the fans! They should focus on making a game for those that didn't like the previous games. Worked out well for Destiny 2!

Or maybe improve the shortcomings of the game that turned people off so that more people can enjoy it? A improved game is not much to ask from a specific team within the studio that hasn't worked on a Borderlands game since 2012. A lot things have changed since then.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

You're missing one of the most important aspects of a GaaS title, adding the main story in pieces over time. BL2 had a regular story mode that started and finished without any DLC. It also allowed you to continue playing the game and all it's content without having to update to the latest version, and could be playing completely offline.

It was not a GaaS title.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Not hyped for this. BL1 was a fantastic game that I greatly enjoyed. I got bored with BL2. It felt a little over the top at times and repetitive. Really hoping this one can be a bit different. The trailer didn't do much to grab my attention.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Albeit when borderlands 2 came out ppl told me it was their GOTY so i went in the game with open arms. Then i played it....but that doesn't mean BL3 will be the same, it could be better, I'm willing to try it out. its not that i dont like the series just part 2 didnt go well with me. So saying i don't like the series is a bit over the top...
You literally refer to it as boredomlands in your previous post, hard to not extrapolate you don't like the series from that to be honest. If that isn't your position than your whole initial post comes across as misrepresenting your own position XD

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Looked like a bigger, prettier Borderlands and is incorporating story threads from all their previous games which gives the universe they've built a sense of cohesiveness that I appreciate. I liked the trailer and look forward to hearing more next week.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this dumb false dichotomy the only two options possible? They can retain the overall art style while still making advances in color palette, texture quality, etc.

Compare those shots to this shot from pre-sequel, which has a lot more color and variety:
ss_96816f173442d4c22d1009355891f627af67c6ae.1920x1080.jpg

You can retain an overall art style while making improvements.
Not that I don't believe something similar color wise exits in the game, but I'd use a different screenshot since I'm 95% sure that's a bullshot.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
You're missing one of the most important aspects of a GaaS title, adding the main story in pieces over time. BL2 had a regular story mode that started and finished without any DLC. It also allowed you to continue playing the game and all it's content without having to update to the latest version, and could be playing completely offline.

It was not a GaaS title.
ffs, THATS NOT WHAT A GAAS IS!

GAAS just means continued revenue stream, which means paid additional content over a period of time. BL2 had 2 years of updates and paid additional content. GAAS is a huge umbrella term. GAAS is not bad, how some publishers have used it is. games that have to be always online are called Live Games or Live Service Games, they also happen to fall under the umbrella of GAAS.

think of GAAS as a quadrilateral ok. Destiny is a trapezoid, and BL2 is a square. they're both quadrilaterals but a square is not a trapezoid.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

It was not a GaaS title.
Errr besides the fact that's not what GaaS is, by your own definition The Division 1 fails to be a GaaS title

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Trailer itself was great from the perspective of someone who dabbled with BL1 for about 8 hours before I got tired of it, and then my interest went up after I played Tales, which was so good. But I can see how it'd be disappointment if you've been there through it all.

Joegrine_25

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trinidad and Tobago
You literally refer to it as boredomlands in your previous post, hard to not extrapolate you don't like the series from that to be honest. If that isn't your position than your whole initial post comes across as misrepresenting your own position XD

Lmao, apologies for that. But i can see how one word triggers ppl. It was something that we kept saying when we were playing the game. Hopefully this one isnt as boring as part 2. and even though one game is boring to me. it doesn't mean the same for part 3. as i initially i played part 2 and it didnt go well with me.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I see video games the same as music. You don't want an artist to do the same thing over and over again. That's how you become irrelevant. Sure, you're hardcore fans will still love it but you will lose fans. If you take some chances, sure, you may piss off the hardcore fans but you'll get some new fans a long the way.
They burned out whatever money and goodwill they had to spare on being creatively risky by spending four years making Battleborn. Maybe they'll take chances with the BL formula itself if they immediately move on to a fourth game, but right now the forces pushing them to play it safe are extremely obvious.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I mean at least visually there was no upgrade between it and previous games so I don't see the issue with that part of it nor any other part. It looks just like the 360 game.

Just about the only change/upgrade it'll have is a shit ton of micro transactions inspired by Anthem/Division/Destiny.
What kind of 360 did you own? This is a noticeable difference.

That is if BL3 doesn't get a graphical downgrade
OIP.H5ynh7pf60sI5H3vG_rtqQHaLH

Borderlands.jpg

Last edited:

Zohar127

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of 360 did you own? This is a noticeable difference.

That is if BL3 doesn't get a graphical downgrade
latest

Borderlands.jpg

This says it all for me. I thought the game looked great graphically and the polygon article is drawing way too many conclusions from a short announcement trailer. Anyone saying the game hasn't improved graphically from 2 needs to get their eyes checked.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I mean at least visually there was no upgrade between it and previous games so I don't see the issue with that part of it nor any other part. It looks just like the 360 game.

Just about the only change/upgrade it'll have is a shit ton of micro transactions inspired by Anthem/Division/Destiny.
You're either ignorant or lying if you say there's no visual upgrade between this and BL2.

It has a consistent art style but it is clearly improved in a number of technical areas.

Jan 4, 2018
The trailer had slide shooting and at least one entirely new weapon class. Plus guns with legs. And according to the leak, which seems to have been spot on so far, the game will include multiple active skills for each class as well as individual part modding for weapons. If shit like that isn't considered making advancements in the core gameplay then I don't know what is.

Plus it's not like they don't have more to show. They didn't play their entire hand and reveal that the game has nothing else to offer.

I really hate the trend of "X wasn't in this trailer, therefore assume X doesn't exist" complaining.

Zohar127

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer had slide shooting and at least one entirely new weapon class. Plus guns with legs. And according to the leak, which seems to have been spot on so far, the game will include multiple active skills for each class as well as individual part modding for weapons. If shit like that isn't considered making advancements in the core gameplay then I don't know what is.

Plus it's not like they don't have more to show. They didn't play their entire hand and reveal that the game has nothing else to offer.

I really hate the trend of "X wasn't in this trailer, therefore assume X doesn't exist" complaining.

Spot on. The article set up strawmen to pick apart about what the author assumed wasn't in the game based only on an announcement trailer, and to my eyes, erroneously criticized the graphics for not being much of an improvement. The author has been around long enough to know that announcement trailers often don't include many details and are just sizzle reels to build hype. To me the whole thing comes off as a tryhard hot take.

Last edited:

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I thought the teaser was great. The trailer was OK, but it didn't diminish my joy at finally having the game officially announced. We don't (aside from leaks) know anything about the weapon system, the classes and ways to play them, the bosses, the environments, the game mechanics... or all the stuff that makes the game... a game. Which is what I'd like to know before making hard judgement. Note I don't think Ben is making hard judgement by the way, but he's got a powerful platform to speak from, which can lead people to assume just that.

I'm cutting the trailer slack because I love BL and really I just want more adventures in that world, I realize that. I also realize that it's totally fine for someone to judge the game off that first video impression, as the article did. They didn't say anything (feature-wise), highlight any dialogue, or show anything beyond the running gun (PLEASE tell me it trash talks while attacking!) as a new dynamic for the game. Although I do hope that Brick actually has a saxophone solo now in the middle of a huge battle.

I do agree with others here that I'm curious what that "new thing" needs to be for some critics for Borderlands though... because outside of great writing, I don't know what BL needs at its core to somehow be suddenly more appropriate and deserving of existing in 2019 that design iteration (which seems is what they're doing) and great content couldn't solve.

I think had the trailer ended with "Learn more: April 3rd" or whatever it would have nicely capped it as "this is part I" which I think is what they were trying to do here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the teaser was great. The trailer was OK, but it didn't diminish my joy at finally having the game officially announced. We don't (aside from leaks) know anything about the weapon system, the classes and ways to play them, the bosses, the environments, the game mechanics... or all the stuff that makes the game... a game. Which is what I'd like to know before making hard judgement. Note I don't think Ben is making hard judgement by the way, but he's got a powerful platform to speak from, which can lead people to assume just that.

I'm cutting the trailer slack because I love BL and really I just want more adventures in that world, I realize that. I also realize that it's totally fine for someone to judge the game off that first video impression, as the article did. They didn't say anything (feature-wise), highlight any dialogue, or show anything beyond the running gun (PLEASE tell me it trash talks while attacking!) as a new dynamic for the game. Although I do hope that Brick actually has a saxophone solo now in the middle of a huge battle.

I do agree with others here that I'm curious what that "new thing" needs to be for some critics for Borderlands though... because outside of great writing, I don't know what BL needs at its core to somehow be suddenly more appropriate and deserving of existing in 2019 that design iteration (which seems is what they're doing) and great content couldn't solve.

I think had the trailer ended with "Learn more: April 3rd" or whatever it would have nicely capped it as "this is part I" which I think is what they were trying to do here.
Honestly my main hope is that they've updated the gameplay. I don't mind the floaty jumps as by now they're part of the world. But both the shooting and the melee have never felt particularly satisfying in any of the previous 3 titles.