• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It just looked like a pc version of 2 running at a shit framerate. Probably cause they expanded the world so much. Borderlands has a lot to prove now that there are better shoolters out there. With Gearbox track record I guess its gonna be Ok at best.
did you watch the trailer on YouTube? The frame rate looked fine. And no, not even close to the pc version of bl2. It's clearly a huge leap ahead. Get your eyes checked if you think the 2 games look the same (I'm not kidding).

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Seriously lol, who knows that kind of stuff.

Your comment, and all other comments on this site using the default formatting, are set in Roboto, a typeface developed by Google for use with Android. Specifically, it is using Roboto 2014, an updated and revised version of the typeface created after the initial release was met with a fair amount of criticism for a number of stylistic inconsistencies in its design.

Oct 25, 2017
It just looked like a pc version of 2 running at a shit framerate. Probably cause they expanded the world so much. Borderlands has a lot to prove now that there are better shoolters out there. With Gearbox track record I guess its gonna be Ok at best.

There are no better looter shooters. BL2 is still a better game than anything in the Destiny, The Division and Anthem(snort) IPs.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
The arstyle really does not make this new game look much better than 2.

Nevertheless, let's just wait some years and then compare its graphics to those from Anthem or Destiny and see which one holds up better. Usually, cartoony graphics tend to hold up better than "realistyc" graphics because realistyc tend to be improved over and over throughout the years (as in, Doom64 looks better than Goldeneye or any other "realistyc shooter" from that era)

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ITT, people let art style confuse their eyes. Game looks way better than BL2, visually.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
So devs, please release a bull shot trailer next time. And then downgrade it along the way. Keep Polygon happy.

That these people get paid to write this kind of stuff..

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer is great. It gives you everything you need to know about the sequel to Borderlands 2. New villains, returning characters, new classes, better graphics, and tons of new guns. What were people expecting when BL2 was already at the front of the pack in the genre?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer is great. It gives you everything you need to know about the sequel to Borderlands 3. New villains, returning characters, new classes, better graphics, and tons of new guns. What were people expecting when BL2 was already at the front of the pack in the genre?
They wanted it to look not like Borderlands and more like a tech demo.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
They wanted it to look not like Borderlands and more like a tech demo.
Seriously. Like maybe if it had been a bullshot "target render" trailer Era would have been satisfied. But Borderlands already has every other "loot shooter" handily beat in the actual loot and class/build variety. Literally all they need to do to destroy the competition is add a bit more post game and slightly improve the gunplay.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The trailer is great. It gives you everything you need to know about the sequel to Borderlands 2. New villains, returning characters, new classes, better graphics, and tons of new guns. What were people expecting when BL2 was already at the front of the pack in the genre?
Well if there were multiple action skills per character then show that obviously. It tells us nothing of the new features like the BL2 trailer that was posted earlier did. Or the pre sequel trailers that emphasized ground pounding and lasers and cryo and double jumping.

The closest it got was the montage that had a few new gun types near the end but I shouldn't have to pause a trailer just to see what's new compared to its 7 old predecessor.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Well if there were multiple action skills per character then show that obviously. It tells us nothing of the new features like the BL2 trailer that was posted earlier did. Or the pre sequel trailers that emphasized ground pounding and lasers and cryo and double jumping.

The closest it got was the montage that had a few new gun types near the end but I shouldn't have to pause a trailer just to see what's new compared to its 7 old predecessor.
Sure, but we're getting new info in less than a week. If the stuff in the leak is true (and at this point, it pretty much is) then Borderlands 3 will be the best loot shooter on the market at release without argument. Borderlands 2 already has way better class variety/customization than Destiny, Division, etc.. Take that, and dramatically improve it? Dang.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe giving you more character customization? Or more than 4 characters to chose from? Or even more create your own style type of character creation, both visually and in terms of skill trees? Some customization element to the guns themselves, where you could combine elements from them or mix and match attachments?

There is literally nothing in this trailer that made me think, "Oh, that's a clever way to iterate on the Borderlands game design". No one is asking them to copy Destiny or The Division, but there could be some aspect of "Here's an area we decided to push ourselves in, and tweak" or "we took 6 years making this sequel because we wanted to be able to pull off _____" not just the idea that it's the same Borderlands you love, but in a new environment and with a graphical upgrade.

Will the game have any of those elements? Maybe? Did the trailer? Nope. So that's why it felt underwhelming to the writer of the article (and to me)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Sure, but we're getting new info in less than a week. If the stuff in the leak is true (and at this point, it pretty much is) then Borderlands 3 will be the best loot shooter on the market at release without argument. Borderlands 2 already has way better class variety/customization than Destiny, Division, etc.. Take that, and dramatically improve it? Dang.
I'm not disputing that Borderlands is a better RPG than those two. I love 2.

It just seems really weird to wait this long, hype up your conference with a bunch of teases and a pre trailer and then have your actual trailer be barebones and be all "alright see you guys next week!"

We've had 2 trailers now and still know more from a 4chan leaker than Gearbox themselves.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I just want the game to be playable solo like pre-sequel was. 2 was miserable alone. Also, I know they won't get rid of it but maybe not have the golden keys and the weapon crafter break the game like it did in pre-sequel. Both games shared the issue of where the weapon drops were total shit and I would spend more time essentially spinning a slot machine until I got a weapon that actually did something rather than playing the game.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I just want the game to be playable solo like pre-sequel was. 2 was miserable alone. Also, I know they won't get rid of it but maybe not have the golden keys and the weapon crafter break the game like it did in pre-sequel. Both games shared the issue of where the weapon drops were total shit and I would spend more time essentially spinning a slot machine until I got a weapon that actually did something rather than playing the game.
How was 2 miserable alone compared to TPS?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe giving you more character customization? Or more than 4 characters to chose from? Or even more create your own style type of character creation, both visually and in terms of skill trees? Some customization element to the guns themselves, where you could combine elements from them or mix and match attachments?

There is literally nothing in this trailer that made me think, "Oh, that's a clever way to iterate on the Borderlands game design". No one is asking them to copy Destiny or The Division, but there could be some aspect of "Here's an area we decided to push ourselves in, and tweak" or "we took 6 years making this sequel because we wanted to be able to pull off _____" not just the idea that it's the same Borderlands you love, but in a new environment and with a graphical upgrade.

Will the game have any of those elements? Maybe? Did the trailer? Nope. So that's why it felt underwhelming to the writer of the article (and to me)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's a relatively short trailer with the promise of more information coming in less than a week. Details about the game have been leaked and are widely available as of months ago. Gun customization/attachments is in. As is a wider number of class abilities. This trailer's goals were clear, and it achieved them. It's currently sitting at 159k likes vs 1.7k dislikes on YouTube. We got the villains, new classes, new enviornments, and the new designes of previously existing characters. Plus a ton of small details to dissect/look at over the next week.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Borderlands games before since their cell shaded art style doesn't do it for me, but thought the trailer looked cool. Felt like a cartoony version of Rage 2 trailers!

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disputing that Borderlands is a better RPG than those two. I love 2.

It just seems really weird to wait this long, hype up your conference with a bunch of teases and a pre trailer and then have your actual trailer be barebones and be all "alright see you guys next week!"

We've had 2 trailers now and still know more from a 4chan leaker than Gearbox themselves.
The way I see it (and according to leaks), this trailer was supposed to be released sometime last year but wasn't due to technical issues with the game. We'll get a lot more over the next week and we saw a ton of new stuff. Fans, as a whole, loved the trailer. It was good (imo).

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Why would expect more than 4 characters? Neither Destiny nor Division offers more than 3 classes. And you're making a lot of assumptions about the lack of customization after just one trailer lmao. This was a reveal for fans of the series, so they focused on what the fans wanted - namely the recognizable mechanics and the amazing cast of characters.

Era is literally the only place I'm seeing all this negativity lol, because of course it will be :)

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
How was 2 miserable alone compared to TPS?
The low gravity and slamming made basic traversal more exciting and the level design was better. I loved running as Wilheim hearing my piston legs, jumping way high in the air and slamming down on someone unloading my LMG.

Also the weapon drops were better(though not fully fixed) in pre-sequel. I had to farm a lot in 2 waiting for better weapons to drop and to level up because the enemies would just shred me.

I think I got to Jacks robot production plant in 2 before I just dropped it because I just hated it. I was still using the pre-order bonus fireworks grenade because it was like an atomic bomb compared to the farm egg grenades the game would drop me.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's a relatively short trailer with the promise of more information coming in less than a week. Details about the game have been leaked and are widely available as of months ago. Gun customization/attachments is in. As is a wider number of class abilities. This trailer's goals were clear, and it achieved them. It's currently sitting at 159k likes vs 1.7k dislikes on YouTube. We got the villains, new classes, new enviornments, and the new designes of previously existing characters. Plus a ton of small details to dissect/look at over the next week.

Again. I'm discussing the trailer, not leaks which I hadn't read. The trailer was over 3 minutes. And the amount of likes doesn't represent "this is a great, well made, informative trailer" as so much as it represents "fuck yeah! Borderlands 3!" My point is I thought the trailer could have easily, in the time they used, given us a few examples of some tweaks or step forwards they have taken, rather than just "here's more of that same stuff you like". Some of the leaks sound pretty cool. Why not include that in the trailer? I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that at least one of the guys who made the thing said it was aimed at the existing community:

Finally back to my hotel room, reading comments, and feeling good after a ton of long nights helping @mikeyface @kickinstuff13 (and a ton of other devs) build a trailer meant specifically for our Borderlands community.

This aired at a panel where a decent chunk of the first ten minutes was spent talking up cosplayers. They just want to get the fans buzzing with something familiar right now. Lots of hype cycle left to go before this comes out for them to elaborate on the details.

Oct 25, 2017

They did show it, but only quick shots. We saw two Siren action skills. She has a Phase melee and also her own version of a Phaselock. So that's two at a minimum, but likely more. I could understand the concern if they weren't showing more NEXT WEEK.

Nah I like the set characters with their own lore, voice lines, etc. I hope you can customize their look, but no create your own shit. That's not Borderlands and it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, trailer was pretty much exactly what I expected.

Also, the Polygon writer needs their eyes checked if they think the visuals haven't improved. It looks way better, the art style has just been kept consistent.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Here's hoping it's the game of this generation like it was for last gen.

BL2 certainly felt repetitive due to some grating writing and BL1 felt lifeless, but each offered something special nothing else did last Gen.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that there is something about this art style that makes it difficult to update from a purely technical standpoint. I played B2 on PC with max settings and I really do not see that big of a difference. I guess that I would be happy if they changed the art style a bit, but I can understand why they decided to play it safe.
Hope that they will have many different environment types at least - that neon city looked cool.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hope there's more to building a character than weapon slots and a couple of mod slots like the previous games. The skill trees were also pretty weak and didn't really allow you to create unique builds like games from the aRPG genre do (Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, etc). I mean wasn't the whole point of Borderlands to be a FPS version of those loot driven action RPG? Feels like it's kinda failing in that regard.

denhoffi

Mar 25, 2019
I'm not mad about the graphics like other people here but I'm disappointed with the reveal itself and how little info we actually got.

They hyped and teased BL3 for months, then threw an entire conference just to officially announce it and then basically give no information about the game at all. They wasted an entire hour just to give us a barely 4min trailer with nothing substantial in it. It feels like we know more about the game from the leaks before the announcement then from the conference.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Here's hoping it's the game of this generation like it was for last gen.

BL2 certainly felt repetitive due to some grating writing and BL1 felt lifeless, but each offered something special nothing else did last Gen.
I honestly thought the Borderlands games were nothing special other than the visuals and funky characters.

Never finished either of them, and I definitely agree that BL2 felt so repetitive. But I'm looking forward to revisit the first game with the remaster.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
First Polygon and now Gamespot

It's funny to see the disconnection between gaming journalists and consumers. Almost everyone in the comments are stocked about the game. Hell even the official trailer got 160k upvotes vs 1.5 k downvotes. This will sell like gangbusters.

Also the game looks clearly better than the previous installment. Open your eyes.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Trailer for sequel within the franchise looks like sequel within the franchise, more hottest news at 10:45!

Trailer cut wise felt unfocused and hellbent on showing as much as it can so it had somewhat messy feel to it, but it's more Borderlands which is great for fans of franchise.

Edit: People who say there is no graphical advancement to be seen here should go have their eyes checked, or fire up even BL2 to actually remember what game looks like. BL3 is improvement across the board in graphics.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Borderlands fanbase is probably one of the most easily pleased around.

Jesus.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Articles like this are why game previews are so fucking awful.

This trailer wasn't great, but that was really more the editing and stuff. But the trailer itself was composed of pretty much nothing besides gameplay. We saw a bunch of locations, enemies, weapons, characters, it was pretty much everything people always claim they want trailers to be.

But because it isn't all shiny lies like Anthem, well, we've gotta write hot takes about, right? Get that ad money whilst it's hot.

It's cool if you want shiny lies, but if, like most people claim, you're against that, then calling out a trailer that's made up of nothing but actual gameplay footage is just gonna push devs to go for that wow factor at reveal and par back the game later.

Also people claiming there's no graphics update, perhaps go replay 2.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
It's funny to see the disconnection between gaming journalists and consumers. Almost everyone in the comments are stocked about the game. Hell even the official trailer got 160k upvotes vs 1.5 k downvotes. This will sell like gangbusters.

Also the game looks clearly better than the previous installment. Open your eyes.
Is there really a disconnection between folks in games media and general audiences, or do you mean games media opinions against the Borderlands fanbase? Plenty of folks on this forum echo the sentiments of being letdown by the trailer.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really a disconnection between folks in games media and general audiences, or do you mean games media opinions against the Borderlands fanbase? Plenty of folks on this forum echo the sentiments of being letdown by the trailer.
This forum is the very definition of a bubble.

Don't take any opinions here as indicative of the general audience.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"plenty of folks on this forum" amount to maybe a few hundred people. Everywhere else on the internet that I've found, people are fucking excited and making memes about gun with legs and saxophone brick.

The gaming subreddit which has 20 million+ subs is literally fucking filled with borderlands memes right now

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I'm completely ok with them not reinventing the wheels. Also you wonder why people are excited about the game? Last time I checked, Borderlands 2 sold 8-10 million copied on PC alone. It is one of the best selling games of last gen and is very well received, you just aren't paying attention.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this trailer yesterday and couldn't even watch it all. It just didn't seem interesting. if you like/want more borderlands it's ok I guess but honestly the worst thing is it looks exactly how you'd expect and more like a borderlands 2.5. Ten years later we've had lots of games that have done borderlands better and have added a lot - big worlds and instances an economy, world events etc.

I'll get it if it reviews well. I think it's the characters and humour I dislike in the series more than anything else. The gameplay is fine. I just hope it doesn't feel like an expansion pack. It needs to push the series forward. It really kinda needed a reboot after the second game and this trailer didn't convince me.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
one billion weapon is a huge mistake...i prefer destiny-style weapon system...

Why do i need 100.000 same weapon with minimal differences ?

and graphically, it looks like Borderlands 2...If they did this with realistic graphics, then i 'll be on ship.that would be perfect change....Now, i ll just pass

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017

and graphically, it looks like Borderlands 2...If they did this with realistic graphics, then i 'll be on ship.that would be perfect change....Now, i ll just pass
I agree. It's never about quantity over quality. Most of these weapons I will be just trashing and spending too much time in the menus junking them. That's a negative already and a design trait lots of developers make with these kinda games

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Borderlands 2 had far, FAR more varied items and item affixes than Destiny does though

And graphically it does not look like Borderlands 2. It looks like Borderlands 2 artistically. Which you'd normally want for a sequel with a specific artstyle.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I just read the full article and that was absolute trash.

It reads like he hasn't even watched the bloody trailer. This line for example:
The trailer leans heavily on the idea of a nearly unlimited number of guns to collect as you play, but that has always been the series' hook
In a 4 minute video there are roughly 10 seconds of footage about the guns.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Destiny style system is also a ton of trash and a few "meta" weapons though.

Why would they ever make borderlands with realistic graphics?? That's like asking the Division to have anime graphics.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"plenty of folks on this forum" amount to maybe a few hundred people. Everywhere else on the internet that I've found, people are fucking excited and making memes about gun with legs and saxophone brick.

The gaming subreddit which has 20 million+ subs is literally fucking filled with borderlands memes right now
Lul. Using r/gaming as any sort of metric is just plain dumb. It's flavor of the month stuff.

They'll upvote Anthem's flight gifs one minute then the next they'll start trashing on it. Skyrim is awesome but hey it sucks now because Morrowind exists. Battlefield sucks because women! But look at this 5 man collateral, ain't that neat?

It depends on the time of the day to be honest. I got sick of it and had to unsub to it.

And I ain't convinced it isn't astroturfed. Plus people who are disappointed aren't going to go in threads where people can UPVOTE popular opinions.

Y'all whine about dog piling here but good lord is Reddit one of the most circlejerky sites ever. Even if I agree with the 'hivemind' opinion.

Though I ain't saying that the majority of the 'gamers' crowd aren't excited about this. They probably are.