• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It is BL2.5 and it doesn't help it's been like 5-6 years since Pre Sequel? And since then, the genre and tech has been raised? Also, it seems the writing is gonna be exactly like BL2?

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I kind of agree with Polygon on this. It's so funny because my buddies who dont play games much like we did years ago heard the rumors of Borderlands 3 and immediately text me in excitement. We had such good times with it. The 3 of us played 2 for hours upon hours every night.

At least as a first impression, this trailer looked like it could of been an expansion to Borderlands 3. Graphically, it is what it is, the style doesnt lend itself to the most spectacular visuals but I was at least looking for some big new visuals in terms of locations, or aesthetics but it looked fairly tamed. For a game thats been anticipating for over 6 years now, its somewhat of a let down at first glance.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. I really hope they can maintain this opinion when it comes time to review the actual game. Really hope critics can critique it based on what it's up against today rather than simply being amazed we're even getting a sequel after all this time.

The visuals look the same. The gameplay will probably be the same. The gameplay was shit back then, and it's going to be even worse now that there's so many more games out that pull off the same formula but better.

Polygon is a disappointment.
It's the first trailer, it looks good and the very fact that it actually exist is fantastic since Gearbox almost died with Battleborn.

People really like to shit on everything nowadays.
What's up with all the reactions I'm seeing similar to this?

Are you guys really that starved for a sequel that you're going to ignore how unprepared they were today, that they're sidestepping the check they accepted from Epic and putting that off to announce on the 3rd, and that visually the game literally looks like the game they released 7 years ago???

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I want Borderlands 3 to be good, but for it to be good, it needs at least one or two new ideas.
I couldn't disagree more.

Borderlands 2 was already leagues above Destiny, Anthem, etc. In order for Borderlands 3 to be great, it just needs to be as good as Borderlands 2.

I don't want new ideas. I want old ideas. I want good DLC expansions. I want to EARN my cosmetics by actually playing the game. I want character and story to go along with my loot. I want playing with friends to be hassle free.

Last edited:

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I'm tired of that kind of rethoric really. I played BL2 when it camed out, 7 years ago, and didn't touch spin-off and dlc.
I want another adventure in that world, and that's what I'm gonna get, if everything is smooth then I'm fine.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You dont HAVE to keep iterating on your gameplay loop esp if you have a game that has a unique gameplay style in the market.

Same people complaining would be the same people also complaining if a dev changed their gameplay loop too much from the original game.

Great game design is knowing when to put your foot on the gas and when to brake. You can't please everybody.
Except it's not a unique gameplay style/loop anymore, loot shooters are all the fuckin' rage.

I don't disagree with you, that developers should know when to hit the gas and when to break, but in this case I think they've fumbled. It's been so long, so much as happened in-between, next-gen is around the corner, this trailer is just kind of disappointing. It's less about being unhappy we're getting more of the same, and more about being unhappy that they didn't show us something we didn't even know we wanted or expected from Borderlands, gameplay-wise and visually.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's fuckin Borderlands

It's main appeals are its art and a billion weapons.

Also someone please post that BL1/2/3 comparison image.
5EeRJvo.jpg

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Wow Polygon, amazing you could tell from the first video of the game that there is nothing new. So tired of all these articles about how someone is disappointed in something based off almost no information. If it ends up with nothing new and is just a half step up then fair enough. But nothing in the trailer gave that impression other than it looking like Borderlands.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I recall this being a problem for me with Destiny 2. The game (at launch) looked and felt like a subpar Destiny 1 DLC.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
I get where Polygon is coming from, a rare occurence. I had that same feeling with the initial showing of Destiny 2. Even though a sequel is iterative it should still stand out from the rest. The BL2 Doomsday Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKVf5feSMEg) did more to get me hype back then. Trailer-wise it felt more lovingly edited.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm sure the game will be great, but the trailer lacked a certain kind of energy. I was more interested in their Mask of Mayhem teaser than this actual trailer left me.
I think what it lacked was a fresh, updated look.

It looked just as BL2 did when Borderlands 2 was new. The game may very well have a new engine or leverage new graphics features not clearly on display in the trailer...but we don't have anything else to base opinions and feedback on.

I'm sure the game will be fun, but it's very understandable that long-time Borderlands players might feel let down. We certainly did not see 7 years worth of evolved graphics or ideas on display in the trailer. Let's hope they are there, however.

kaf

Technical Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We had the chance to work with a lot of the source assets from Borderlands 1 / 2 and the Pre-Sequel when building the sets for Tales from the Borderlands - they were not only lower-res, but of much lower quality than what is on display here. There are marked and huge improvements to a lot of the materials and lighting that just wasn't present in the older games, but it seems that because it's not a photo-realistic game, and the art style is consistent that most people will assume it looks the same.

This was the curse of Batman and Walking Dead at Telltale, huge improvements but people would think comic book == same.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Destiny a lot but I'm just about ready to a return to Borderlands' way of doing things, those games still do a lot of things better in the loot shooter genre (though I'm hoping it steps it up with gun feedback).

Also people who think this looks just like Borderlands 2 need to go back and actually replay that game, or watch any of the trailers from back then. People are easily misled by graphical leaps just because it's a more cartoonish type of game.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Did they write that before they even looked the trailer or what ? They're fast !

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
As somebody who was incredibly disappointed in BL2 due to how much it felt like more of the same I can't say the trailer for BL3 did much to get me on board again. Showing characters from Tales from the Borderlands just isn't enough.

That being said it's been long enough since BL2 and I don't have high expectations so I may come around on BL3 as time goes on and they show more.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when people haven't played BL2 or the Pre Sequel in years. It looks significantly better than 2.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow Polygon, amazing you could tell from the first video of the game that there is nothing new. So tired of all these articles about how someone is disappointed in something based off almost no information. If it ends up with nothing new and is just a half step up then fair enough. But nothing in the trailer gave that impression other than it looking like Borderlands.
Thank you!
They didn't show us to much.
Hell there were a couple new ideas from the freaking trailer. Mechs, lady bad guys. Boom, their is the new ideas Polygon.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I kinda have to agree. Everyone is all focused on the graphics aspect of this, and I'm sure it'll improve vastly by launch, but everything involving GAMEPLAY doesn't seem all too grand, let alone an evolution of BL2.

If you're in the mood to for the that style of gameplay again, more power to you, but as someone who only played 2 and the pre-Sequel with a buddy within the past couple of years or so, I'm afraid that I might get burnt out. Again, it's only the first trailer, so we'll have to see what else they're going to promise.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
and that visually the game literally looks like the game they released 7 years ago???
Hyperbole is always better when you add extra question marks to really emphasize how much you're exaggerating.

The game looks great. Borderlands has never been about pushing technical boundaries. It has a style that still holds up today and Borderlands 3 obviously looks a lot cleaner than the previous games. What do you honestly expect to see with such a stylized art direction?

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
I rather have Borderlands 2.5 then something way different in the approach of Destiny or The Division

Oct 25, 2017
To me, it's the environments. Only 1 wowed me. The city.

The rest were boring. Desert. Swamp.

It's like. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. I already dread these fucking locations.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I mean, i'm sure most people would be extremely excited for a Borderlands 2.5. Rocking the boat too much could introduce a whole mess of problems similar to Destiny 2 Year 1.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Looks like BL2 DLC. Graphics or animations looks exactly like BL2.

Anyway still waiting this. Really liked BL2

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's more of the same and in some cases it's the best you can do as a developer. People love Borderlands, they get more Borderlands.
Personally I also think it doesn't look very good orinteresting. But I never was into the series much, so that's on me.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
While there is an improvement in lighting and model detail, they could have done so much more with the materials.

I'm not disappointed, but I was expecting them to have taken the art style to the next level, especially after showing that they were experimenting with cool stuff in that 2017 tech demo with things like cross-hatched shadows, which are gone. It's tech like that which would have brought the art style to the next level.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Beyond just the graphics feeling extremely same-y, the gameplay and overall structure felt very same-y and not in a good way. By the end of BL2 and especially in Pre-Sequel the core gameplay, structure and flow of BL was really tiring and this trailer so far did nothing to make it seem like it was any different.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But after this lackluster trailer, I'd welcome news about a battle royale mode, because what else is there? This looks like another expansion, not a proper sequel to a major franchise.
Chief this ain't it

Come on Kuchera, you were supposed to get over the pie chart days