• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Uh. So clearly you understand why they should be held accountable for their choices. It's kinda weird that you want to talk about the consequences of cutting off a revenue stream but not the consequences of shifting towards reliance on the Chinese market.

And no shit Blizzard regret doing business with China. That's the entire problem.
Sorry, what? Reliance towards the Chinese market? You lost me there.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Posted from his iPhone. The irony.

glad to see people out doing things they believe in but yeah.

This is some genius galaxy brain type thinking here.

I would love to see you bring up that point to a Hong Kong protester on the street, ya know. I imagine it would go something like this

Hong Kong Protester said:
Free Hong Kong! Fuck China! They abuse are rights and should not be supported

Dumbass tired hot take said:
HAHA OH THE IRONY YOU SAY THAT WHILE YOU RECORD POLICE BRUTALITY ON YOUR IPHONE.

#MoralPurity

Jun 26, 2018
We all know how the Chinese government would react. We have the NBA incident as precedent. Xi is a tough cookie. Just wait for the real shit show when China finally blocks global Steam in China after the censored Chinese Steam launches next year.

People forgot capitalism isn't the end all to humanity. Money is not all that matters.

But capitalism is the end of humanity

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
We all know how the Chinese government would react. We have the NBA incident as precedent. Xi is a tough cookie. Just wait for the real shit show when China finally blocks global Steam in China after the censored Chinese Steam launches next year.
The thing is that I don't think very many people know that, and framing it that way makes it look like protestors are asking Blizzard to stop doing business with China, which makes the protest look unreasonable. It's important for people to be introduced to this issue with the understanding that the problem with Blizzard is something that *Blizzard* has control over.

It's just as important as the distinction between asking someone to speak out against workplace harassment vs asking someone to stop working for a company where workplace harassment takes place.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Are you in a position to make these sorts of decisions in your job? It's easy to armchair CEO.

It's also much easier to never get into a business relationship in China than to pull out of one. Cutting off a major revenue stream is never easy. There are consequences.
Is Blizzard complaining about it?
Yeah, and that choice has been fantastic for them so far in expanding their business. No one gave a shit when they entered the Chinese market a decade ago, and it's not like China started their human rights abuses this year.

If you think they remotely regret their business in China, I got news for ya

oh look the dude who works in the industry and comes into every thread critical of predatory monetization practices to defend them to the death is also defending Blizzard's right to kowtow to China for the money! Color me surprised!

it's almost as if business interests shouldn't trump the interests of humanity. Just because the world works the way it does doesn't make it right. Corporations arent people. We are. And we, the people, should hold corporations accountable for their shitty actions

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of all Blizzard's IPs Overwatch is the one I actively dislike now instead of just being apathetic towards.

It embodies the hypocricy of Blizzard's attempts to cash in on wokeness but willingness to throw politics in games under the bus at the drop of the hat if it suddenly threatens their profits.

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh look the dude who works for EA and comes into every thread critical of predatory monetization practices to defend them to the death is also defending Blizzard's right to kowtow to China for the money! Color me surprised!

it's almost as if business interests shouldn't trump the interests of humanity. Just because the world works the way it does doesn't make it right. Corporations arent people. We are. And we, the people, should hold corporations accountable for their shitty actions

Yeah but greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Sorry if anything annoys you or whatever your stupid problem is, but here's Diablo IV"

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
oh look the dude who works in the industry and comes into every thread critical of predatory monetization practices to defend them to the death is also defending Blizzard's right to kowtow to China for the money! Color me surprised!

You clearly don't actually read my posts if that's your takeaway.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all Blizzard's IPs Overwatch is the one I actively dislike now instead of just being apathetic towards.

It embodies the hypocricy of Blizzard's attempts to cash in on wokeness but willingness to throw politics in gamea under the bus at the drop of the hat if it suddenly threatens their profits.

Yep. Overwatch is emblematic of the hypocrisy behind corporate wokeness.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Like when a company has a significant amount of their revenue coming from the Chinese market they are reliant on it, yeah?
OK, I get it now. Sorry, semantic misunderstanding on my part.
I'm not saying that Blizzard doesn't deserve being protested. If you look through my post history, I'm also pro HK in this matter.

What I'm saying is that Blizzard is in a lose-lose situation here, and that posters here suggesting they cut off ties with China aren't suggesting a reasonable solution.

Oct 28, 2017
The "we fucked up royally" part of the apology is actually great...the "we'll do better, we promise" part is totally hollow and completely undermines the first part.

How will you do better? Why are the casters still banned if you know you fucked up? You won't even say China or HK out loud and we're supposed to believe that you're going to be better?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
You clearly don't actually read my posts if that's your takeaway.
Oh no I understand your posts just fine. As usual you attempt to explain away or excuse corporate actions by popping in to tell everyone "well actually this is how business works"

we know. We know how business works. We don't approve of it. Understanding is not the issue no matter how much you want to act like it is sotheir actions can be put in a context that allows them to be absolved of their complicity or tacit approval of the inhumane.

So yes I have read your "well actually" posts I'm just sick and tired of them

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
What I'm saying is that Blizzard is in a lose-lose situation here, and that posters here suggesting they cut off ties with China aren't suggesting a reasonable solution.

As one of those posters I understand they are in a lose-lose situation but humans rights should always be more important than profit. We have to draw a line in the sand. Making money shouldn't be the go-to excuse for immoral behaviour.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Well, guess no Diablo IV for me then. I refuse to buy their products until they turn things around, and I don't have any faith they will. So really, no Blizz stuff for me ever again.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
OK, I get it now. Sorry, semantic misunderstanding on my part.
I'm not saying that Blizzard doesn't deserve being protested. If you look through my post history, I'm also pro HK in this matter.

Okay, you're right that it's a lose-lose situation, but you're not considering what got them into this situation. The "lose-lose" you're referring to is a consequence. Asking blizzard to face consequences for their decisions is not being unreasonable.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Y'know something, I don't think I have ever seen an apology that seemed legitimate and not just "sorry we were caught" in this whole industry — ever.

Happy to be proven wrong.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Weird that this apology is nearly everything I want to hear but they can't bother to actually name the problem or manage to even mention the victim, so that's still making me feel like they're really just continuing on with a reality where "it is what it is and we're sorry that it sucks" and not "we're sorry about our actions taken toward Blitzchung."

And again, if it is what it is, then I don't fuck with Blizzard.

Oct 27, 2017
"We apologize for how we communicated our decisions."
"OK, but do you apologize for the decisions?"
"Oh fuck no we nailed that."

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I dismiss the apology because of his choice of words and what he may or may not have mentioned. I think that is irrelevant when the fact of the matter is that the player was and still is being punished for it and two casters and four other players were punished for a similar message.

His (and I paraphrase here) "we will do better" is vapid and meaningless if Blizzard doesn't rescind any and all punishment towards those who were affected.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
That Overwatch segment was just bäh.

"Stand together", but not against opressiv regimes.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, you're right that it's a lose-lose situation, but you're not considering what got them into this situation. The "lose-lose" you're referring to is a consequence. Asking blizzard to face consequences for their decisions is not being unreasonable.

Is it also unreasonable to actually show compassion for the thousands of employees at Blizzard that share the same thoughts as you that could theoretically lose their jobs because Blizzard decided to do the "reasonable" thing and cut ties with their china market connections? Because let's say Blizzard does go this route? Takes a stand against China and completely cuts ties with their partners over there. It's highly likely hundreds if not thousands of employees lose their job as a result. Is that an acceptable consequence for you or is that too unreasonable?

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
It started out pretty good but like c'mon. Give us some actions already. Super disappointed.

And no. D4 is not some large distraction from the issue. I'm fairly sure that it was planned this whole time.

Jun 26, 2018
Oh no I understand your posts just fine. As usual you attempt to explain away or excuse corporate actions by popping in to tell everyone "well actually this is how business works"

we know. We know how business works. We don't approve of it. Understanding is not the issue no matter how much you want to act like it is sotheir actions can be put in a context that allows them to be absolved of their complicity or tacit approval of the inhumane.

So yes I have read your "well actually" posts I'm just sick and tired of them

Glad to see it's not just me. Capitalist gonna capitalist.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
On one hand, I give Brack props for accepting accountability and I really do hear some sincerity in his voice. I do think he meant it and I do think Blizzard can right this.

However, now we have to wait and see if they actually act or if those were indeed empty words. As for this moment, I don't think it was enough and have to see something done, especially so given no mention of Hong Kong or the player/caster names. It is a decent start but they need to do more at this point.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They went beyond the point that any apology can be accepted outside of drastic action. They'd have to do something that China would not like one bit for me to even consider forgiveness.

Until that happens, these words are toothless at best, and most likely empty.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He needed to mention the actual subject the apology was about, that's one of the first rules of writing a good apology. I don't doubt Brack's sincerity, but ultimately this needs to be more than just words and so far that is all it's been from Blizzard

john_ick

Dec 4, 2018
This "apology" means nothing!
Didn't even mention China or Hong Kong.
I hope people and media are not falling for it.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
As one of those posters I understand they are in a lose-lose situation but humans rights should always be more important than profit. We have to draw a line in the sand. Making money shouldn't be the go-to excuse for immoral behaviour.
*insert commentary on capitalism here*
Pulling out of China is a disproportionate response to what Blizzard actually did here.
As a consequence, they'd probably breaching some contracts, jeopardize their future ability to operate, hire, or contract in China, and have to lay off a lot of people. This would also inevitably hurt their existing employees who own company equity.

Where am I saying Blizzard shouldn't face consequences?
I'm OK with them facing consequences--as are they, I think. They know what they did and they stand by it, because keeping that Chinese business is more important to them than the alternative.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it also unreasonable to actually show compassion for the thousands of employees at Blizzard that share the same thoughts as you that could theoretically lose their jobs because Blizzard decided to do the "reasonable" thing and cut ties with their china market connections? Because let's say Blizzard does go this route? Takes a stand against China and completely cuts ties with their partners over there. It's highly likely hundreds if not thousands of employees lose their job as a result. Is that an acceptable consequence for you or is that too unreasonable?
Why do some of you always do this? It's like you're stepping over what actually caused this. Just because you are involved with China doesn't mean you need to support the Chinese Oppression and actually support and involve yourself in that oppression.

Instead of being China's sock puppet and being against freedom and trying to oppress, this is what Blizzard initially had to do: NOTHING, Ignore it and just try to suss the situation.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
On one hand, I give Brack props for accepting accountability and I really do hear some sincerity in his voice. I do think he meant it and I do think Blizzard can right this.

However, now we have to wait and see if they actually act or if those were indeed empty words. As for this moment, I don't think it was enough and have to see something done, especially so given no mention of Hong Kong or the player/caster names. It is a decent start but they need to do more at this point.
Accepting accountability means nothing though if there's no consequences.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Of course you can show compassion for them, but you should still blame Blizzard for it. Remember when blizzard reported record profits and then laid off 800 employees earlier this year? Show compassion for THOSE employees please.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Why do some of you always do this? It's like you're stepping over what actually caused this. Just because you are involved with China doesn't mean you need to support the Chinese Oppression and actually support and involve yourself in that oppression.

Instead of being China's sock puppet and being against freedom and trying to oppress, this is what Blizzard initially had to do: NOTHING, Ignore it and just try to suss the situation.

It's impossible to do buisness in China wihout being a sockpuppet of the CPC. Especially if you're a media company that has the Chinese censors riding your ass. That's why Blizzard reacted so harshly to Blitzchung. They were afraid of being banned from China like the NBA was.