• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Can you please not "always a bigger fish" this?

People are not asking blizzard to not do business in China, they are asking blizzard to not blatantly censor speech on behalf of China.

Why is that such a difficult concept for you?

If Blizzard does not censor speech on behalf of China they'd be banned in China. That's the point. It's why thier apology was so lame. Any media company that sells their stuff in China will have to censor themselves if they want Chinese money.

The NBA was banned in China for one tweet by a team manager. The CPC does not tolerate dissent.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Post what you like but quote my whole post if you quote me.

9HTnjEo.png

Trying to point out that they posted it on an iPhone is you being this guy.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It is a bad apology but it is the best they can do without angering their partners and panicking their investors.

Empty words but some people love them.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely asking - is that dude even able to say everything that everyone wishes he had said? Like, everyone is saying "he should've unbanned blitzchung" or whatever, but...does he even have the power to do that? What if behind the scenes he's said that to the people who really own Blizzard or whatever, and they basically said "say goodbye to your job and tell your entire team to do the same".

I'm not making excuses for any of this, but I just wonder how realistic it is to be saying "he should've done this and said this" etc. - and if what he did say was really all he was able to say.

I don't know.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If Blizzard does not censor speech on behalf of China they'd be banned in China. That's the point. It's why thier apology was so lame. Any media company that sells their stuff in China will have to censor themselves if they want Chinese money.

The NBA was banned in China for one tweet by a team manager. The CPC does not tolerate dissent.

Yup. China is forcing western companies to become arms of their cultural censorship efforts in exchange for access to their giant market. And Blizzard's strategy is, understandably but also pathetically, to try really hard to convince their customer base that it isn't the case. Blitzchung shone a light on the danger of the practice, and Blizzard is now apologizing for not hiding the truth well enough at first.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

Your framing uses "impossible choice" rhetoric, which is really unhelpful.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Your framing uses "impossible choice" rhetoric, which is really unhelpful.

I don't consider not doing business with China an impossible choice.

Yup. China is forcing western companies to become arms of their cultural censorship efforts in exchange for access to their giant market. And Blizzard's strategy is, understandably but also pathetically, to try really hard to convince their customer base that it isn't the case. Blitzchung shone a light on the danger of the practice, and Blizzard is now apologizing for not hiding the truth well enough at first.

Thank you! Someone gets it. Blizzard didn't just ban Blitzchung because they love censorship but because that's the price any media business must take to be allowed to operate in China.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Weeeeeeeeeeeeak. I really hope people don't let them slide from this just because of Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 hype. This was so empty and pointless and pathetically beats around the bush.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
My favorite part was the pause for reaction, and that he almost didn't get one and you can kind of see the panic set in so he starts to talk and then people start cheering because the uncomfortable silence almost got too long.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I don't consider not doing business with China an impossible choice.
Are you in a position to make these sorts of decisions in your job? It's easy to armchair CEO.

It's also much easier to never get into a business relationship in China than to pull out of one. Cutting off a major revenue stream is never easy. There are consequences.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Are you in a position to make these sorts of decisions in your job? It's easy to armchair CEO.

It's also much easier to never get into a business relationship in China than to pull out of one. Cutting off a major revenue stream is never easy. There are consequences.

Well then comapnies can't complain about PR disasters or when people call for boycotts. They made a choice for more money over human rights and they have to live with that.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
They should have ended the bans. Without doing that the words are hollow. The fact that they didn't do that means they really are scared to death of ccp backlash. He looked terrified up there tbh.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, this didn't change my opinion or my wallet preference. If anything the quietness of Blizzcon seems to accentuate the need for more action from people.

I understand that companies need to make their decisions but I do as well.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Basically apologized to nobody, since they didn't mention what they did.

Just a feel good pat in the back.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Worded apology. Aight.

But now you have to action next time that supports those words because until then people will take this as an empty apology and that's it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow that is a bad apology:

"Hey we fucked up, but look at all the games we got - isn't it great what we do?"

I was hoping they would put a good one out, because I like what they announced but this is empty as fuck. I'm staying on the fuck Blizzard train for the time being.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Blizzard decided to explicitly support China's human rights violations. They made their bed and now they get to lie in it.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the apology was pretty weak but I think there is real emotion behind the person giving it. Almost as if that individual wanted to say more or something else.

Posted from his iPhone. The irony.

glad to see people out doing things they believe in but yeah.
Galaxy brain type of stupid. Truly unbelievable that people still cannot understand that participating in a system that you cannot easily escape does not lessen your critique on the elements of that system.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Weak - fuck blizzard. 100% done with the company, hope devs move onto other studios too.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

You say that as though Blizzard's current predicament isn't a direct result of decisions that were made prior to this point. Blizzard wasn't born into the world holding a Chinese silver spoon. Blizzard made a choice.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the apology was pretty weak but I think there is real emotion behind the person giving it. Almost as if that individual wanted to say more or something else.

Galaxy brain type of stupid. Truly unbelievable that people still cannot understand that participating in a system that you cannot easily escape does not lessen your critique on the elements of that system.

I for one have stopped using an iphone and now only tweet using smoke signals from my self sustaining mountain cave.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
You say that as though Blizzard's current predicament isn't a direct result of decisions that were made prior to this point. Blizzard wasn't born into the world holding a Chinese silver spoon. Blizzard made a choice.
Yeah, and that choice has been fantastic for them so far in expanding their business. No one gave a shit when they entered the Chinese market a decade ago, and it's not like China started their human rights abuses this year.

If you think they remotely regret their business in China, I got news for ya

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
People still don't understand that picking your battles is part of living in this society and being optimal.

"you use an iphone" comments are so lol

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, and that choice has been fantastic for them so far in expanding their business. No one gave a shit when they entered the Chinese market a decade ago, and it's not like China started their human rights abuses this year.

Uh. So clearly you understand why they should be held accountable for their choices. It's kinda weird that you want to talk about the consequences of cutting off a revenue stream but not the consequences of shifting towards reliance on the Chinese market.

And no shit Blizzard regret doing business with China. That's the entire problem.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
The only choice blizzard needs to make is to not censor Blitzchung. The rest of the equation is up to China.

I don't think that framing the entire issue as "blizzard shouldn't profit off of the Chinese market" lends clarity or calls for accountability.

We all know how the Chinese government would react. We have the NBA incident as precedent. Xi is a tough cookie. Just wait for the real shit show when China finally blocks global Steam in China after the censored Chinese Steam launches next year.

Uh. So clearly you understand why they should be held accountable for their choices. It's kinda weird that you want to talk about the consequences of cutting off a revenue stream but not the consequences of shifting towards reliance on the Chinese market.

People forgot capitalism isn't the end all to humanity. Money is not all that matters.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wet fart of an apology but enough to sate the masses. Now they'll just shut up for 6 months and everyone will have moved on.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

No one is arguing Blizzard can't make money from China. People are pointing out that choosing money and explicitly supporting these devastating human rights violations is wrong. Blizzard made it clear today they support oppression and genocide and they deserve to be criticized for it.