• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Let's word it better: Spiderverse made Miles much more interesting than in the comic. It's a bit of a take, but I was never that big on him until Spiderverse. He's a historic character for sure, but I don't think he was that great of a character starting out.

I actually find myself in agreement. Spider-Verse was the better telling of the origin story for Miles compared to the original ultimate comics, while still keeping all the core tenets of that storyline.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
No mention of the last run on Astro City, no Flintstones, not a single Jeff Lemire comic? Get out of here with this. To not put Descender on that list is a freaking crime.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Society will not evolve in terms of racism unless we come to terms with the fact Coates is a wack comic book writer, talented black writers are not flawless, and that is okay.

Also, that Tynion Detective Cómics run is not there.
I hardly Like essay work.
His comics are bad

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
Not having Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF -> Avengers/New Avengers -> Secret Wars run on this list is straight up criminal.

I can't think of another long run from the Big 2 that maintained such high quality and stuck the landing, not to mention it spanned across multiple titles leading into a huge universe-wide event.

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Not having Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF -> Avengers/New Avengers -> Secret Wars run on this list is straight up criminal.

I can't think of another long run from the Big 2 that maintained such high quality and stuck the landing, not to mention it spanned across multiple titles leading into a huge universe-wide event.
Isn't Hickman's Fantastic Four run started on 2010 only FF is 2011.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Society will not evolve in terms of racism unless we come to terms with the fact Coates is a wack comic book writer, talented black writers are not flawless, and that is okay.

Also, that Tynion Detective Cómics run is not there.
What's race got to do with criticising Coates' comic book writing? Unless you're floating a conspiracy that people won't criticise because he's a black writer.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
No Hickman Avengers/Secret Wars, seriously?

I honestly don't think it was as well received as people on Era seem to think it was. I bought the entire run and thought it was a massive slog that I was glad to see the end of. I finally gave up on comics at the beginning of this year, after buying them since the first X-Men movie piqued my interest in, what, 2000?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going for that tone, I feel Waid's Daredevil, or even Superior Foes of Spider-Man, are better choices than hawkguy.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Well it is mostly about history.

1c3.jpg

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's a lot of major omissions on both the superhero side and indie side to make way for some okay books
Unbeatable shouldn't have to share its spot.
proceeds to talk to each of the 3 in why they deserve to be there separetely

They're not even the same kind of books and even the description prove that or part of a huge run

It feels like they combined because they're "girl" books

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
wow I see a lot of these "of the decade" on polygon, did they not know before they did all these articles how calendar decades work lol?

2001-2010 is a decade, 2011-2020 is a decade.

it's still 1 year to go. or do decades work differently in the U.S?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the critical love in for Coates Black Panther or any of his books. I find his books extremely plodding. His current Captain America run is terrible.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
wow I see a lot of these "of the decade" on polygon, did they not know before they did all these articles how calendar decades work lol?

2001-2010 is a decade, 2011-2020 is a decade.

it's still 1 year to go. or do decades work differently in the U.S?

Most people think of decades as X0-X9. When people say "the 60s," they mean 1960-1969. When they say "the 90s," they mean 1990-1999. Same rule here.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
I know it's a matter of opinion, but there is just too much good comics for a list of ~15. Transformers titles, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, Thief of Thieves, Young Avengers, Revival, Invincible (yeah, I know it started in 2003), Grayson, Batman & Robin, Sex Criminals, etc...

But I really don't understand why House/Powers of X was added, it's too recent and Hickman's works are at their best when everything comes together after 3+ years. Especially when the list ignores his Fantastic Four and Avengers runs.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Coates BP run had promise at first but yeah, it's not great at all.

If we're talking stuff that should've been on this list, I'm gonna go with Christopher Priest's Deathstroke run. Far and away the biggest surprise of DC Rebirth for sure.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Can people recommend some more indie stuff?
Rok of the Reds was my favourite comic of 2018. A story about an Alien who takes over the form of a British football player to hide from intergalactic forces and learns to love the game. Probably more a UK thing as it harks back to the days of Roy of the Rovers and other sports stories, and is written by Judge Dredd creator John Wagner and all around legend Alan Grant. A new story has just been funded on Kickstarter.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
You know how bad guys keep coming back out of the woodwork despite superheroes constantly arresting them? Squirrel Girl manages to take the next step and tries to redeem them. The author has also managed to fine new and creative ways for her to defeat her opponents. Hell she made defeating the entire Marvel Universe gimmick look legit. That and Kraven's face turn has been the best thing for the character in years.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Shocked to see Bitch Planet on the list.

I really enjoyed it, but as far as I can tell there was zero buzz about the series...especially when compared to something like Saga, which was constantly lauded, referenced, and recommended.

I am surprised to see no Megg and Mogg, which seems to be a long-standing "include on a best-of list so all our picks don't seem too mainstream" fallback.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So any good 'best comics of the decade' lists out so far? Am looking to pick up some books (provided they're not too complicated to get into).

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

I really enjoyed it, but as far as I can tell there was zero buzz about the series...especially when compared to something like Saga, which was constantly lauded, referenced, and recommended.

I am surprised to see no Megg and Mogg, which seems to be a long-standing "include on a best-of list so all our picks don't seem too mainstream" fallback.
Really

I remember being a lot of buzz or maybe I'm remembering when it was highly acclaimed

I think it just fell off when it went into infinite hiatus

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Megg, Mogg, and Owl definitely deserves to be on this list, I agree. I've re-read those comics so many times now and they don't get old. Maybe it's too much of an acquired taste for a list like this?

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Lazarus should have made this list, some of the best world building I've seen in comics

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
I understand it's a capes-heavy list, but I view East Of West as an equal to Saga in quality, if not buzz/cultural impact.

I'll just have to gas up some independent shit in the 2019 Comic Of The Year Thread.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Megg, Mogg, and Owl definitely deserves to be on this list, I agree. I've re-read those comics so many times now and they don't get old. Maybe it's too much of an acquired taste for a list like this?
I'm a big fan but I think the content matter and style of humor makes it a hard recommendation to most people

List itself is whatever. I'm glad Hawkeye is on it (most important superhero comic of the decade by far) but I have no real strong feelings otherwise. Just popular stuff everyone reads and knows about. Anyone looking for some unique books should just check out the yearly lists that Paste and AV Club do. Last few years especially have had a lot of wonderful original graphic novels.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
No Eternity Girl is a disgrace.

Also Hickman's Avengers+Secret Wars not being on a list but Coats BP is is hilarious.

eternity-girl-young-animal.gif