• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I actually agree with the psychology behind it since it pushes for more management. Sure you don't have to do any of the min maxing or whatnot, but the Nook Mile achievements and amount of options pushed onto you do have an imperceptible effect. I don't think it's necessarily the wrong direction for the series either though, people just prefer customizable games. And to be fair, for as relaxing as the old AC games were, they sure got boring quickly. I like having things to do even though it makes the game fundamentally different.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I definitely agree with the core idea of the article. For as much as I am loving New Horizons (340 hours so far), I do feel like the lacks the chillness of previous entries. When every single square inch of your map is customizable and every decision is up to you, it not only loses the charm of the core concept in previous games (you are just a person moving to an existing coastal village), but also creates a lot of decision fatigue and stress for the player.

New Horizons is great, but it is an entirely different type of experience than previous entries.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
I bought the game at full price at launch. Digital.

Played it 2 hours and stopped for that reason.

It's my first Animal Crossing game.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I don't think you understand how anxiety works. You don't find it. This is an incredible narrow-minded way to look at something that affects tons of people negatively. No one wants anxiety, no one is looking for it, I assure you.
Oh I understand it perfectly. That's why I specifically said some people. Others have no control. Again some roll around in it like they love it.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
For me its more that i would love to do the stuff the game gives me... but the game is constatly throwing stones in my way and not respecting my gaming time so that it just starts to feel more tedious then relaxing, since for everything i WANT to do i have to force myself through the bad UX, with repeating dialogue, etc.... =/
the interface is genuinely messed up, I dunno why they reuse some buttons so liberally and confusingly while not using others.

only really annoying dialogue IMO is at the airport desk, but I'm sure they're hiding some loading behind that

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks ago: everyone loves AC:NH. A summer mainstream sensation!

Now: everyone hates AC:NH

Ah the classical love-hate cycle of popular games

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
[...]
Also for me it's about the journey.
Exactly! I'm saving Screenshots of the game and when I look at them, I can see my journey. My 6y old niece was very interested in the game and loved to watch me play. So I created a new account for her. She can not read but still can collect/drop stuff and decorate her own house. I help her out with selling and buying stuff and since she progresses too slow, I paid her loan so she can have a house with an extra room. I even took a screenshot when we both sat on a bench and printed 2 copies. One for her and one for me.
My journey in this game has been awesome and I can't wait to see what the game has to offer in the coming months/years.

Sure I get stressed sometimes. Like today when two of three mystery islands I visited where the same. The amount of repeatetive dialogues is also stressful sometimes. The game needs some tweaks here and there. But none of these problems are the real cause for the way, certain people feel.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
agreed. it's embarrassing...

I agree its not healthy but I think you need to cut them some slack. We're all in a weird situation now during lockdown and folks start putting more weight on other stuff that they replace their 'real' life with. I think that is a logical explatation of whats going on here. The social aspect of stuff like instagram has temporarely collapsed and millions of folks are replacing it with their virtual island life.
Again Im not blaming the game for it, but current humanity. Its the result of our social media/fomo society. Animal crossing seems like a game that enlarges these problems right now.

interesting stuff.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
In a way that doesn't sound like I'm trying to belittle your partner, why does that bother them? A ton of my friends have bomb ass towns and I'm like "COOL" and then don't do anything to mine cause I'm lazy. There isn't a limited time to do this, feeling inferior to your friends cause they did something cool feels unhealthy.
This seems like pretty basic human social anxiety, not exclusive to AC, that seeing the nice shit your friends have can put a stress on inviting people over to see what you've done.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Anxiety truly sucks.

New Horizons is the chillest game I've played since... New Leaf. I'm 120 hours into it and don't see myself stopping anytime soon, and it helps me unwind every single day.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people discussing game design don't understand that there is such a thing as giving too much control to the player (not that it necessarily applies to New Horizons, but it comes up often enough with regards to this game.)

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
They didn't. Nintendo let them do it. and they should have imprisoned them in a relaxing game where you can't always do much, which is seriously what makes the franchise good. Not the crafting; not the construction, not terraforming, and certainly not the charmless Dodo's.
The crafting, terraforming and construction is the shit that's been keeping me sane in these self-quaratine times. Game is insanely relaxing.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that ACNH forces you into a certain pace more strongly than the previous games, but in doing so it feels a bit more annoying in its attempts to slow you down. Like it's trying to force you to chill, but if you're not feeling that at the moment it just feels frustrating instead? I imagine it's more frustrating when you see your friends and others progressing much faster than you and there's little you can do to really alleviate that. Meanwhile, I personally take it as everyone has their own journey. But I get it.

I think ACNH is much different than the others in its expectations of the player. It's very into the idea of the player slowly building up a paradise from the ground up, a little at a time. I don't mind that too much, but I think it's a bit (a bit) of a bummer that they've dumbed down the other appeals of AC (ex. villager relationships) to further develop that.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
the interface is genuinely messed up, I dunno why they reuse some buttons so liberally and confusingly while not using others.

only really annoying dialogue IMO is at the airport desk, but I'm sure they're hiding some loading behind that
Yeah, the video that was postes ...last week i think showed so many improvements that would make me love the game again... kinda sad, that fans have designed solutions to all of the problems in a month (not implemented, just designed), and the developer that worked years on the game did not see the flaws...
loading: not really, since it doesnt knowwhat you'll choose, so it cant load it. And it it preloads, and still needs to load that long afterwards, then thats also fucked up.
But yeah, the dialog in the shop can be anoying, the dialog with the atm can be anoying,but all that is passable, only the terminal, since i wanted to play with a friend (the only reason why i effectively caved and bought NH and switch online), but when we have half an hour, most of that time is in starting the game, preparing island/money/what you need to, since you cant afterwards, then going through the long ass sequence, ariving (if more are ariving, go and make a tea till all are on the island)... and if anybody loses the connection... all are sendt home, with the last savepoint... so everything that you did is lost.

We did it a view times...and then lost motivation, since it just fellt like its not worth the time... and that we need to comunicate over signal on our phones since the game does not support voice chat is also sad for a social game...

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Min maxing Animal Crossing is the worst way to play. Stop comparing your island to others, ignore stupid meaningless things like villager tier lists and the nook miles ticket economy people came up with, and just relax.

Articles like these say more about the people writing them than they do about the game itself. Even completing something as simple as a children's coloring book could be stressful if you got super anal about not going outside the lines and constantly compared your results to the ones you see online. That's obviously not how they're designed to be enjoyed, and AC is the same way.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
OH SHIT I remember the OP now! Weren't they claiming they got all the fruit in a way that is literally impossible to do? And then got called out until they admitted they hadn't played the game yet.

OP did play the game. They just outright lied to prove a point and had to back down when people call them on the BS, including saying how dataminers proved that their claimed was literally impossible.

Then again, they made the same claim not long after the game released and people pointed out that they never got all the fruit via Nook Tickets. They also claimed you can catch all the bugs and fish off-seasoned per Nook Tickets only to be proven that you can't.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree with the core idea of the article. For as much as I am loving New Horizons (340 hours so far), I do feel like the lacks the chillness of previous entries. When every single square inch of your map is customizable and every decision is up to you, it not only loses the charm of the core concept in previous games (you are just a person moving to an existing coastal village), but also creates a lot of decision fatigue and stress for the player.

New Horizons is great, but it is an entirely different type of experience than previous entries.
You aren't forced at all to do that though. Theoretically you can just build a few bridges and steps, and it's a standard animal crossing look.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You aren't forced at all to do that though. Theoretically you can just build a few bridges and steps, and it's a standard animal crossing look.
You aren't forced too, but the option is there. Its like if you are choosing something and you have 100 choices or 2 choices. For some people it will stress them out to have 100 choices. You could say "but just ignore 98 of the choices, and its just like you only have 2". But that isn't the same as actually having 2.

Edit: oops dp

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/16/21258908/animal-crossing-island-reset-second-run-twitter

Read this article ^ it's one of Polygon's best in years, where they describe everything that I felt back at E3 that could go wrong with this game, and have ranted about many times, and currently my own status with the game is that I feel as if I've been putting it off more and more because I feel it's simply not relaxing as the series should be. I find a game like The Sims fun, but the problem with sims is always that they don't feel carefree or relaxing to me, because they're ultimately about management and making sure everything is in balance. The more AC trended towards a feature-ridden sim, the more I started falling out of love with it, culminating with New Horizons.

A few excerpts from the article

So what was once a series about passion and relaxation has become another series that feasts on the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO). How do you feel about this?

Whats the problem with the game? Because from what you have posted it appears its a issue with these individuals and social media more than it is the game.

Oct 27, 2017
W.T.A.F.

Has the whole World gone crazy?! Am I the only one who gives a shit about the rules?!

Don't time travel? Play an hour a day?

Problem solved: give me your therapy fees.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You aren't forced too, but the option is there. Its like if you are choosing something and you have 100 choices or 2 choices. For some people it will stress them out to have 100 choices. You could say "but just ignore 98 of the choices, and its just like you only have 2". But that isn't the same as actually having 2.

Edit: oops dp

I have never understood this and I never will.

I can't process it. I function completely opposite of this mindset. I swear.

Edit: This is a one off post but it jumped out at me because I've seen this idea posted elsewhere. So I know you are telling the truth. Its just something I've always had a hard time understanding,.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing giving me anxiety in the game is the lack of QOL features. Certainly not the customization

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Classic case of user error. I doubt they would cope well with other games if they're this obsessed with min-maxing.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
If you do that the game tells you you are doing it wrong. Sure, you can play the way you want, but when the game rates your island and tells you that to win you have to have massive decorations all over the place, some people find that hard to ignore. I personally find the game relaxing, but I'm also surprised at how much it actually requires to rate your island 5 stars. And it trains you to pay attention to that because you can't even get to the end-game without earning 3 stars.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If you do that the game tells you you are doing it wrong. Sure, you can play the way you want, but when the game rates your island and tells you that to win you have to have massive decorations all over the place, some people find that hard to ignore. I personally find the game relaxing, but I'm also surprised at how much it actually requires to rate your island 5 stars.
I mean it's possible to to get 5 stars without any terraforming technically.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Not really since 'you are just a person moving to an existing coastal village' was done away with in NL when you became mayor and you can do stuff like force you stores to stay open longer or force your villager to planet flowers.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really since 'you are just a person moving to an existing coastal village' was done away with in NL when you became mayor and you can do stuff like force you stores to stay open longer or force your villager to planet flowers.
Yep, New Leaf added some first cracks to the facade, but New Horizons obliterates it all together. The level of control you have is 1000x more. Its in another galaxy.

Edit: And n New Leaf, you still are just a person moving to an existing town actually. Just with the added mayor conceit.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is a social media problem, not an animal crossing problem.

I started the game more than a month after release, I don't feel compelled to time travel for bugs/fish or the blossom event, I am fine with waiting until next year.
This is very accurate.
The game is as chill as ever.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My town is immaculately developed, but I am actual considering nuking it and re-laying everything out in more of a traditional AC town way. But I would never delete my save (and thus my catalog), that is unthinkable.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
My wife nor I have ever felt any of this agitation playing this game. I think this is more on the players having these particular issues than the game itself. I think it's fantastically structured and very relaxing to play.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
THE TIME TRAVELERS DESERVE WHAT THEY GET!!!

/s

They really do need to calm the hell down
I mean a lot of people did warn newcomers or even vets about time traveling. This happened with new leaf too. Tons of people time traveled in new leaf too and then complained about stuff all mostly because they time traveled. The game is literally not meant to be that way.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Every post I remember reading from OP on here for the past two-three months has been to heavily criticise this game and sure, it's fine if you don't like it but it's getting a bit much now.

Anyway, as others have said this is a FOMO/social media problem, not a problem with Animal Crossing specifically. An article about a real issue people have (even unrelated to games) that I think Polygon have framed very poorly.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yep, New Leaf added some first cracks to the facade, but New Horizons obliterates it all together. The level of control you have is 1000x more. Its in another galaxy.

Edit: And n New Leaf, you still are just a person moving to an existing town actually. Just with the added mayor conceit.

In some ways. Like in New Horizons, the Nook Shop closes at 10pm, there is no way to extend the time, and it doesn't give a damn if you can't come during opening hours. And if you want pretty flowers all over your island, get a shovel and plant them yourself while your villagers do Yoga.

Your really not just another person moving in in NL when you're literally the mayor and you can dictate your villagers' sleeping hours.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the game, about 200 hours clocked so far. I don't consider it chill though. It's incredibly frustrating at times.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of get where the article is coming from, but it does sound to a large degree an issue reliant on social media prevalence and gamer expectations.

I do agree that to some extent the DIY system and terraforming feels daunting. The only AC entry I played before was WW and it definitely felt more chill than NH. I do agree that when I visited other islands or saw what people were doing with their island it felt bizarrely annoying. Especially when I started terraforming my island and not all ideas panned out.

But honestly, why should you stress about it. It's been two months and I'm only getting my island to the state in which I wanted it to be, a few steps at a time. Not everything I had in mind worked, but finally getting something right feels rewarding. And I'm getting there, slowly, but there's no rush. A part of island every few days and I'm gonna be there. And it's fine. I missed some bugs and fishes but they will come back around one day, that's ok. Maybe I don't have perfect villagers and none of my villagers are from the top of that asinine tier list, but that's fine.

I think to an extent it's both an issue of social media prevalence and the way people consume games. AC is designed to be played over a lengthy period of time, but people want to get there asap, which makes the whole thing immediately stressful. It kind of reminds of when I played WoW and whenever Blizzard released new content a part of the fanbase would gobble up dozens of hours of content that took developers months to make within days and then complain about content drought (admittedly there were many times when it was mismanaged, but more often than not that would start early in content cycle).

Expectations have to be adjusted around the type of game you're playing. There are people who minmaxed their islands within week of game's release, but there isn't anything inherently rewarding in doing so that that quickly rather than over span of few months. There is a rotation of content but you're not really going to fall behind, it's not that kind of game. So while I agree some aspects of the game's design can be criticized, the blame does not fall sorely on developers in the way the game was designed.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The only stress is that i need to boot it up everyday. If you don't, it feels like you miss something you will never get the chance to get again.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
These people need to play some Stardew or Harvest Moon. Those games are way more chill than Animal Crossing.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The whole article is missing the real issue: some people have an unhealthy approach to social media and/or the game.

It's okay to not be perfect. It's okay not get the 100% out of the game. It's okay for other people to have much better villages.

I hope this people seek proper help because I'm sure that this is just one of the many way their personal issues manifest.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I think a lot of the stress some people are experiencing with Animal Crossing is self-inflicted. I've had friends pratting around with time travelling to try and be the 'first' to get everything; people spending hundreds of dollars trying to get Raymond; and people getting obsessed with making millions from turnips long after they've run out of things to buy. None of them are taking it easy and they barely seem to be enjoying the game.

None of this seems to be what Animal Crossing is really designed for and I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people putting themselves into these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.