• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it almost did (based on the sales), unfortunately the tech was mediocre and the quality of the games just weren't there.
From what i've read the Xbox One's Kinect was much better but by that point third party devs had moved on.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few peripherals that provided plenty of entertainment without me owning one.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Kinect 2.0 was actually really good tech that never got fully utilized in the gaming space. A lot more could of been done with it but it's understandable why most devs moved on from it.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
It did happen. It was actually popular but not with the regular gaming press/forum goers, much like the Wii.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll always love the Kinect because it gave me amazing Giant Bomb quick looks, as well as getting to watch my friend play the adventure game and see how he has the reflexes of a sloth

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of revolutionary tech starts out as toys. Kinect is no different. It was a milestone for technology as a whole.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Kinect in theory was actually a pretty good idea.

The microphones for voice control are something a lot of people have become accustomed to in the form of Alexa, Google home and Siri.

Ultimately at the time the whole setup was too expensive and the cameras aren't really good enough. If it was built into a box sold by MS it would become a near indispensable feature right now but I don't think you can sell something like that to consumers at the price it was at.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
What if they were like $15 short!?
c5f.gif

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinect Sports Bowl and Table Tennis were superb. I remember my 70yr old Neighbor trying it and being blown away, and that was the first time he's ever played a video game. It did overcome obstacles conventional gaming will always be bogged down by.

Fruit Ninja was another amazing Kinect game.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Kinect in theory was actually a pretty good idea.

The microphones for voice control are something a lot of people have become accustomed to in the form of Alexa, Google home and Siri.

Ultimately at the time the whole setup was too expensive and the cameras aren't really good enough. If it was built into a box sold by MS it would become a near indispensable feature right now but I don't think you can sell something like that to consumers at the price it was at.

Isn't that exactly what they did with the launch Xbox Ones, though? I'm struggling to think of even a first party app that made me think that it justified the added cost of it.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to lie - I enjoyed making fun of it at the time. Especially that game where you hang out with a little boy. So creepy.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, it did happen, for a while. More than 24 million peripheral units sold to a base of 76 million in 2013 is still remarkable on its own.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I especially liked this bit:
Even though Kinect didn't take off in the way some people hoped, gaming in virtual reality incorporates motion control. In [Harmonix CEO Alex] Rigopulos' opinion, VR delivers on the promises of motion gaming in ways Kinect never could. "With Kinect you were still limited to a screen, a TV screen, which was this small window into a world," he says. "The beauty of VR is you're in the world."

"I view [Kinect] as a material step forward, a discontinuous leap forward in the evolution of motion gaming that accomplished a lot despite its shortcomings," Rigopulos says. "And I think [it] helped pave the way for some of the fruits of that advancement that are going to come to bear in VR."
Too bad Microsoft didn't let Kudo etc be interviewed.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Such a shame that they killed that sports app. Really motivated me to do different type of workouts.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Kinect never had appeal to me,hardware is nothing without good games and I don't remember ever seeing an interesting one there.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Isn't that exactly what they did with the launch Xbox Ones, though? I'm struggling to think of even a first party app that made me think that it justified the added cost of it.

Yeah I think they'd have to go the Google home route and give it away practically free.

If everyone had one (with a better camera than the original) there would be multimedia and gaming potential for it.

Now however, it's a dead idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.