• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
VR will get there, but where "there" is will always be a niche of sorts. I think eventually a popular niche but always a secondary thing to traditional screens. VR where it makes sense, not VR just because. The tech will eventually get there where most of the barriers to entry will be minimal. One day.

I recently sold my Oculus Rift. I liked my time with it but I felt I needed to get rid of it while it still had some value. I will get a PC headset again some day but I'm in no rush. Two things I am absolutely sure of though: it must be a visor style headset as I find the PSVR at least a trillion times more comfortable than having something strapped to my face. Secondly, it must use inside out tracking. I refuse to fuck around with external sensors ever again. I don't care how much better it is, setting up external sensors is 100% a deal breaker for me.

OP I will give a shout out to the game your avatar is from. Moss is maybe my favourite VR game, maybe tied with Astro Bot. I love the 'overseer' style of VR but it doesn't seem to be what most people want so there's not much of it from what I can see. I really hope we get a Moss 2 or something else like it from that studio.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People laughed and scoffed at the idea of a personal computer for 10 years after the first ones came out.

Almost the exact same arguments- too expensive, why would I want one, it's only good for niches in the business world,no one will ever want to sit down in front of a screen a foot in front of you, etc etc
But that's not a general rule as technology had many things that prime didn't want or need and that's exactly what happened with them: people didn't want it, people didn't need it and at best they lived on in a niche market.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The "iPhone moment" is funny because Apple was able to do it because they basically made a really great package that removed all the hassles and obtrusive issues with the previous generations phones. When you think of VR, you see things like a bulky headset, censors, joysticks, a phone on a headset, an expensive PC (or just a console), and generally what is the impression of not VR, but just a more field of vision game. Those are the problems that need to be solved before there is ever a VR iPhone moment. Those won't be solved for a long time because to a lot of people actual VR isn't just spinning in your room with goggles on because back in your mind, you know you are wearing goggles and holding joysticks so it's just a more immersive situation.

Let's say Steve Jobs was alive and he did an Apple VR event where they were claiming to reinvent the VR. Do you think he'd come out with less expensive goggles, some janky gloves, having to spin while standing in an area in your room, etc? No. Because that's just not what the majority want from VR.

I give VR way more than a decade before it becomes prevalent that people have one and use it daily. We're more likely to see augmented reality glasses before then.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Excellent article, and I whole heartedly agree.

I enjoy VR but I don't want to own it.

I enjoyed my time owning PSVR, but I am glad that i sold it within a few months. Sitting in a shared space (living while wearing the headset never felt completely safe, despite it just being my partner and cat.

I haven't bought a desktop PC in 10+ years, as I have forced on portability and touchscreen displays. My newest computer has so many hiccups withPC games despite the 1660TI, so the idea of introducing new tech headaches into the home is unappealing.

I envy the folk that have a nice VR setup, but it's hard to imagine owning another headset in the next five years.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Not enough AAA games connected with big IPs.

And we have to wait for wireless VR to evolve even more.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
The "iPhone moment" is funny because Apple was able to do it because they basically made a really great package that removed all the hassles and obtrusive issues with the previous generations phones. When you think of VR, you see things like a bulky headset, censors, joysticks, a phone on a headset, an expensive PC (or just a console), and generally what is the impression of not VR, but just a more field of vision game. Those are the problems that need to be solved before there is ever a VR iPhone moment. Those won't be solved for a long time because to a lot of people actual VR isn't just spinning in your room with goggles on because back in your mind, you know you are wearing goggles and holding joysticks so it's just a more immersive situation.

Let's say Steve Jobs was alive and he did an Apple VR event where they were claiming to reinvent the VR. Do you think he'd come out with less expensive goggles, some janky gloves, having to spin while standing in an area in your room, etc? No. Because that's just not what the majority want from VR.

I give VR way more than a decade before it becomes prevalent that people have one and use it daily. We're more likely to see augmented reality glasses before then.

So what exactly are you envisioning here? VR and AR are always going to require some type of relatively bulky and stupid looking glasses or headset, it's a limit of physics. They will incrementally become smaller or lighter, but there's a practical floor. There will always be a product on your face with sensors/cameras either on the headset or placed around the room. Controllers and joysticks will also always be required as neural links or magic infinite haptic gloves that can mimic any sensation aren't happening in anyone's lifetime that's reading this. Headsets a decade from now will have motorized lenses/displays (varifocal), eye tracking, sophisticated AI tracking/scaling, much higher resolutions, HDR microLED, QD, or lightfield displays, much more powerful onboard computers, and larger batteries to drive it all. They will likely be as large and heavy and Quest 2 (if not larger), or best case marginally smaller. DK1 to Quest 2 is nearly 10 years now, and they're fundamentally still the same product.

Last edited:

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
As a tech, it's currently mind blowing and advancing faster than ever.
Specifically for gaming though, I don't think it's a very good match. Gaming is still growing on the mobile space. The switch is a massive hit. Games as a service dominate the gaming mindshare. Let's just say that "immersion" is not what most people look for. And as such, VR will remain a techy niche.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Once the affordable and accessible VR experience is a decent one (which it should be with PS5, and definitely wasn't there with PS4), VR will likely do a good bit better. VR has reached the point where there's a super solid catalog of games (Half Life Alyx, Boneworks, Lone Echo, Pavlov, Onward, Sprint Vector, To The Top, Blade and Sorcery, and that's just off the top of my head). It's not a question of if/when compelling experiences can be made in VR, it's a matter of making it more accessible. A PS5 VR headset with decent motion controllers and inside out tracking that you simply plug in to your system and you're ready to go will likely do extremely well. And the PS5 has the CPU and GPU power to deliver an excellent experience in VR, which the PS4 really lacked, even the Pro.

Right now, high end VR suffers because you need to buy a powerful computer. Once you have that computer, VR can still require you to be fairly tech savvy to tune the experience well. I'd imagine most people afraid of building a computer would also be intimidated by the Index or the older rift (though the new rift is as easy as it gets). And on the PS4 side of things, it's front facing only, uses those stupid ps move controllers, requires the ps camera, and when you put it on you get screen door pixel density and sub native resolution games. It's really no wonder why it hasn't taken off, the experience is still a novelty from a technical perspective when we're looking at the more affordable end of the technology.

As for the Quest, I don't think it's at the right price to sell gangbusters for the market they're mostly going for. I imagine most gaming enthusiasts are more interested in what VR becomes with more powerful hardware under the hood, and $300 is still a bit much for someone who's interest is so fleeting that they don't have a gaming platform that could do it better already. Also, facebook...

So yeah, I'm hopeful for the future of VR gaming with whatever sony cooks up for PS5 (the potential success of which should mean good things for the PC space too).

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I bought a Quest earlier this year and loved it. Used it regularly for a month or two, but it's been gathering dust since.

Still, I was positive about my experience and the product. I was really looking forward to sharing it with friends over the summer, but COVID etc.

But when the Quest 2 was announced with improved internals for games, I immediately soured on the Quest 1. Graphics and textures are rough on it. Games like Arizona Sunshine look like Body Harvest compared to the PC version, but now there's going to be games designed for the better specs? It was way too soon and it turned me off immensely, as did the Facebook integration.

Maybe I'll pick up the PSVR2, but if it's not a self-contained single-cable solution I might be donezo with VR for a good while.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I think the only thing Oculus Quest lineup really needs at this point is killer apps, and I think it will slowly edge into the mainstream. Especially if it gets cheaper.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017

So what's your idea of VR's iphone moment? If not gloves, then what? If not spinning, then what?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just my theory based on our own experiences. When we play on our VRs is not a matter of it being comfortable or not, is that it isolates you from every and everything else around you.

For me that's the reason it will have a hard time becoming mainstream

I think even that has a workaround ... mixed VR/AR ... it shouldn't be a problem to have a little picture viewer even in your VR world that shows you the room you're in. So you can be at the basketball or soccer game while also being able to keep track of what's happening in the "real world". It should be a quick button press to go back to "reality" full screen.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes tech just ends up being a dead end. There are countless technologies out there that debuted, got a bit bit better, got a bit cheaper, and then just... petered off. The assumption that VR is the future was always a silly one.
Amen.

Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean everyone will.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
Reading through this thread minutes away from getting my kickstarter Rift to boot Alyx.

Even such an old headset won't hamper you to enjoy it.

i can understand price being a big factor, but it is an awesome experience.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There wasn't really an "iPhone moment" for PCs, they kinda gradually just built up over the 80s/90s. Same thing with laptops.

There doesn't necessarily have to be a singular moment.

I think it would help *a lot* though if Nintendo and Apple got involved with their design sensibilities.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i'll just speak for myself here - even if a good VR setup was cheap, even say, $100 all told, i still probably wouldn't be into it. i've got a kid, a wife, pets. i can't imagine ever being comfortable going into a room by myself and closing myself off entirely from the real world to be in VR land. if i'm at home i need and want to be present for my family and anything that might come up.

i realize many people have the same situation that i do and are fine with the VR thing. i'm not judging those people. it just isn't for me.

Maybe this goes with the 'people really need to try this to understand' but I rarely feel 'detached' or 'isolated' from the real world which is a common comment about VR. At least no more so than if I'm concentrating playing a game on a big TV with the sound turned up and someone needs my attention - both will be pulling me away from a game, but I'm just as accessible in VR. I can't see outside but I'm totally aware if someone comes in the room, and a quick double tap turns on the camera so I can see whats going on or I just pop it off.

Likewise with the social isolation. Its totally compatible with a social situation. You aren't necessarily going to be playing a single player game yourself with friends/family over while you ignore them, and the same would go for VR. But plenty of games work as pass and play so you can all try and enjoy watching each others reactions, or have multiplayer options, or you can cast to the TV to watch whats going on. Its 'differently social' not antisocial

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So what's your idea of VR's iphone moment? If not gloves, then what? If not spinning, then what?

I totally see quest as being VRs iphone moment (in that it brings together certain aspects of the technology in one easy to use package. I'm not talking sales volume as I don't know if iphone did anything about that, Nokia was already selling millions - it was more a shift in sales to Apple). Quest removes the external sensors, removes the need for an expensive host PC, removes the cable. That configuration is pretty much what I'd expect to see in future VR but refined. iphone 1 was revolutionary but also a bit crappy - no 3G, no app store, tiny screen, lower resolution than my apple watch. Extrapolate that forward from Quest and I think its pretty exciting but I don't know if there will be a fundamental shift in form factor beyond this (other than size and maybe controllers?)

Deleted member 12867

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I dont like vr for gaming it's a pain in the ass everytime and once the novelty wears off o just want traditional controls. VR experiences however are awesome.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I think the main thing working against VR in the long run for general adoption, at least as far as gaming is concerned, is that most people don't have to have "the best" when pursuing leisure entertainment activities. The vast majority of people don't feel compelled to have a 70" 4K HDR OLED HDTV with 7.1 audio and are content watching TV/Movies or playing games on their cell phones or tablets. You can see a whole bunch of people in this thread that think VR is just fine, but they can't be bothered to use their VR headsets these days. For most people convenience outweighs quality.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how the tech ever takes off because it shuts off 3 of your most important senses from reality: vision, hearing and touch to a certain degree. Movies, TV, music, video games, books don't do that.

Deep VR games are just too much of an isolated experience and the party/mini-games are just that, fun for when a large group of people get together and that's about it.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR is not horrible today. The issue is depending on the type of experience the user is aiming for there are a number or barriers to entry.

But the I think the fundamental thing that will stop VR from being truly mass market is that the VR immersion experience itself requires a time commitment where you're disconnected from the real world. And truth is that kind of time when you can simply disconnect from what's going on around you is getting exceedingly rare.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
VR is not horrible today. The issue is depending on the type of experience the user is aiming for there are a number or barriers to entry.

But the I think the fundamental thing that will stop VR from being truly mass market is that the VR immersion experience itself requires a time commitment where you're disconnected from the real world. And truth is that kind of time when you can simply disconnect from what's going on around you is getting exceedingly rare.
It's not jacking into the matrix, VR games have pause buttons too. If time was an issue, regular gaming wouldn't be big either.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen this mentioned yet but it's definitely worth adding to the conversation.

Cloud computing and streaming technologies as a way to bring high end pc VR to self contained headsets like the quest 2.

I don't own a pc but I subscribed to a remote access VM based gaming pc through a service called Shadow.

With shadow I can play steam and pcVR games at a decent quality (all things considered) without owning a PC all streamed through a wireless headset.

Obviously it's not perfect (latency issues with some games), but the performance and quality that's possible right now is pretty damn crazy.

The potential for what will be possible in a few years based on what is already working now in regards to remote streaming VR content is potentially the iPhone moment people are talking about.

For those unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, check out youtube for "Shadow pc vr".

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as I need a powerful rig and pay a few extra hundreds of dollars to "only" play some indie-esque games, I don't have the urge to dive into VR at all. And since I don't have the space to play everything that VR can offer, I have even less reasons to dive in

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
That's like all tech though? Sometimes it succeeds often it still fails.

People will doubt tech until it shows up in a big way. The iPhone moment as people say. Until then people will doubt VR. There is also no guarantee VR will ever have that moment.
Voilà.

VR is now pretty cheap all things considered, and I bet those advocating for even lower prices will never buy a lot of various 1$ products ... because they don't have an use for it.

It's the same with VR, at least as we know it. There's no guarantee it'll ever take off in a big way. The base offering at least for now is just only seen as a gimmick by the mainstream. It's something you try once or twice and you'll find cool and all, but you don't see yourself coming back to on a regular basis. It's very much like an actual theme park. It's cool to visit once a year with the kids, but not something most would want to spend their life in.

I dunno I feel like many of the VR advocates don't understand that them loving something doesn't mean everyone will love it if they try it. That's just not how life works. Sometimes you're big into something and that's cool and all but most other folks don't give a fuck. And it's OK.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not jacking into the matrix, VR games have pause buttons too. If time was an issue, regular gaming wouldn't be big either.
The level of immersion and awareness of what's going on around you is is completely different.

It's not just a matter of how much time, but how much time can you really afford not being aware of what's going on IRL. I'm not talking about "The Matrix", but simple things like not hearing your wife or kids who may be calling/talking to you.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The level of immersion and awareness of what's going on around is is completely different.

It's kind of a two sided coin though ... the downside of extreme immersion also is what gives VR unbelievable upside ... there's few experiences like it.

I still think though you can just add a small screen display that shows you your surroundings in the VR world as an option.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I need a powerful rig and pay a few extra hundreds of dollars to "only" play some indie-esque games, I don't have the urge to dive into VR at all. And since I don't have the space to play everything that VR can offer, I have even less reasons to dive in

Check out what I wrote a few posts above and then look up shadow pc vr on YouTube.

The need for a high end pc to experience the best of vr is not actually required.

It's not perfect, there are issues, etc. But a remote gaming pc streaming vr to a wireless headset exists now. The concept itself is proven, now it's more about developing it further.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
VR is still growing.

That's basically all there is to it. It continues to slowly and steadily grow, grow, grow. Until it stops moving in the right direction, there is no reason to be particularly concerned. Every single year, VR has been bigger than the year before.

Is it the future, still? Maybe. I don't think anyone, even the experts, knows for sure. But there's no arguing with YoY growth charts like this:

VRLFG.net

Live Player counts for Virtual Reality Games. Schedule VR Multiplayer sessions

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Check out what I wrote a few posts above and then look up shadow pc vr on YouTube.

The need for a high end pc to experience the best of vr is not actually required.

It's not perfect, there are issues, etc. But a remote gaming pc streaming vr to a wireless headset exists now. The concept itself is proven, now it's more about developing it further.
My cable internet is way too janky for that and paying for another sub model... nah sorry I can't afford that.
And I tested some VR here and there and I'm sadly prone to higher latency. The tech is interesting, I'll give you that but
there isn't enough to hook me to it

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak for myself, but the barrier I have to VR currently is that if I want to play the big games that take best advantage of VR I'd have to buy a gaming PC along with a more expensive headset. It's too big of a cost right now. I could get a PSVR or a Quest 2 and have a lesser experience, but I'm not sure there's enough there to make it feel like I'm getting as good of an experience, so I just end up skipping it all entirely.

It's going to take wireless headset-only VR coming on in leaps and bounds and matching current tethered headsets for this to become a mainstream product that catches on in the way all these articles seem to talk about. It basically has to become a console platform of its own.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest gripe for me is still how uncomfortable the stupid goggle setup of most headsets is. The press fit of something so relatively heavy is just awful. The only comfortable headsets on the market are PSVR and Rift S with their crown shape.

Technology also hasn't improved much since the OG Rift. The top end headsets are just stuck at basically the same level of image quality and tracking accuracy with tons of sidegrades. Most newer high-end headsets are even worse than the old Vive because they ditched OLED for washed-out grey and smearing LCD panels.

The true next gen of VR requires two big tech steps forward:
  • New display tech with micro LED for true black and almost no space between the sub pixels to eliminate screen door effect
  • Massive improvements in battery tech to remove the need of cables. Wireless VR is not limited AT ALL by bandwith or latency right now...just battery size, weight and capacity.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I do feel like the tech feels very early and expensive, and it doesn't help that the only AAA game right now is Alyx. I do think once we get better, cheaper tech we'll see VR take off more but hard to say when that will be.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
What's funny to me is how the mainstream went ape over the concept of walking miles and miles to catch AR monsters, but now we're complaining about standing being this hugely demanding chore for the average consumer.

I suspect the "VR is draining/antisocial" crowd are using their traditional gaming session lengths as a frame of reference. Because while I'd agree that 3-5 hours of VR would get alienating, 30-90 minutes of VR a day is working out perfectly fine for me. Screensharing can afford even more time so long as it doesn't become a nightly habit.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak for myself, but the barrier I have to VR currently is that if I want to play the big games that take best advantage of VR I'd have to buy a gaming PC along with a more expensive headset. It's too big of a cost right now. I could get a PSVR or a Quest 2 and have a lesser experience, but I'm not sure there's enough there to make it feel like I'm getting as good of an experience, so I just end up skipping it all entirely.

It's going to take wireless headset-only VR coming on in leaps and bounds and matching current tethered headsets for this to become a mainstream product that catches on in the way all these articles seem to talk about. It basically has to become a console platform of its own.
I don't think so. Consoles could make VR mainstream, even if tethered. Consoles have always been the "lesser" experience, yet PC doesn't even come close to matching their numbers.

All we need are more high fidelity VR games. After all, what's the point of buying hardware if there's no killer app to sell it?

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
When I can have the visual experience of my Pimax 5K with the weight and comfort of my old Gear VR, it will truly be the sweet spot.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
My cable internet is way too janky for that and paying for another sub model... nah sorry I can't afford that.
And I tested some VR here and there and I'm sadly prone to higher latency. The tech is interesting, I'll give you that but
there isn't enough to hook me to it

Definitely understandable, my mentioning it is more about pointing out what's possible, though still not optimal yet. But given how solid it is this early, the future is crazy bright.

Regarding the subscription cost of shadow. Right now it's 12-14 a month. Given what that works out for a year, it was cheaper for me to just go with shadow then to build a pc right now.

If the cost stays low while the tech scales up, owning a high end pc won't make much sense cost wise for many end users.

Shadow is still a small company, hopefully Facebook is serious about offering a cloud computing option for VR down the road.

They are working on thier own virtual desktop app, I'm curious if they will take it further and back it with an actual virtual pc type option at some point

Oct 27, 2017
VR is at a real exciting time right now. Quest 2 has been released. It's lighter with better graphics. The default strap is surprisingly comfortable and easy to put on and take it. Though unfortunately might not be the same for everyone. The walking dead: Saints and Sinners is an amazing full game and shows what VR can do for gaming. Echo arena which is free and multiplayer shows how cool it is to play socially with others as a team and Population One releases today which is VR battle Royale.

PSVR 2 is on the way. Which could be amazing with the PS5 hardware. Just imagining RE8 in VR blows my mind. Good times for VR.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I do feel like the tech feels very early and expensive, and it doesn't help that the only AAA game right now is Alyx. I do think once we get better, cheaper tech we'll see VR take off more but hard to say when that will be.
Quest 2 will draw in more software support from multiplatform devs, but we need more VR platforms pulling their weight to make AAA VR game development sustainable for third parties.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PCs used to evolve fast too. CPUs would double in speed in one year.

People still recommended PCs. You just upgrade when it makes sense. Why can't this apply to headsets?

And yes, VR needs to be lighter, wireless and have much sharper video among other things. That's why I haven't told my friends or family to get quests.

Let's see what PSVR2 looks like. It's the next one to watch.
Pcs can be used to a plethora of other things which is not the case with VR.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pcs can be used to a plethora of other things which is not the case with VR.

I mean VR could be used for more than just gaming too.

You can use it to go watch a basketball or hockey or soccer game as if you have the best seats in the house, watch a movie on a giant screen that's impossible for most people to own, go sight see an attraction, visit a friend virtually half way across the world maybe even get a tour of their home, tackle a fear of heights, public speaking, have a virtual trainer guide you through a work out as if they're really there, ummm ... well also virtual sex as that gets more and more advanced could be something interesting, lol.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I showed my PSVR to a few people at my place a few weeks ago. Both of them don't play videogames. Both of them were so blown away by it. Neither of them wanted to stop. Completely glued to it with a massive shit eating grin on their face the whole time.

They have both come back a few times to play it again since. Still have no interest in playing my PS4. Their main reason for not wanting one was that they didn't want to have to buy a PS4. I told them about the Quest. Both sound like they are going to buy it. Thats a fairly decent price point for a standalone unit.

Its so hard for me to accept that this isn't going to be huge in the future when I see reactions like that. Its like one of those you have to see it to believe it kinda things. Right now its the enthusiast carrying it but I'm convinced it will be mainstream at some point. Its got to be hard to market something people have little to no interest in it until they try it.

Some people say the novelty wears off but I argue its the lack of high quality content for it.

Feel like how much it thrives depends on how many people out there get their friends to try and and get people talking. And not just their gaming buddies.