• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would You Be In Favour of Geoff Keighley Organising An E3 Digital Replacement Event?

• Yes

Votes: 416 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 136 24.6%

• Total voters

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what the point is of gathering a bunch of reveals together at one time like the old E3 if none of the actual in-person benefits like deal making, networking, and hands on for the media are part of it.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? Geoff is good at what he does, is highly respected, and has all of the connections.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, as long as they figure out a way for Giant Bomb to host after dark discussions again.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
As long as there's more footage of games, trailers, announcements and not people talking about the industry, sales or the "passions" of being a gamer and what not.

Pretty much this. I wouldn't care who does it as long as we get the same announcements and trailers that we would usually get.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's the Gamescom show he will be apparently doing regularly now.

Oct 28, 2017
Shit....we wont get Treehouse Live this year, which for me is and has been the best part of E3 since its debut.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Would I be in favor or someone or something trying to rekindle the joy of old E3? Sure. Does it make sense to do something digitally? Not really. The essence of old E3 can not be captured digitally. What publishers are doing on their own now with their live announcements and streams is working for them. There's no reason I can think of where they need another digital outlet for showcase that they can't do on their own.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted no because most of the press conferences not during E3, just close to it. Publishers can figure things out.

What I'm really worried is what happens to indies and AA studios who depended on networking and meetings for deals. That was the most important part of E3, and also GDC.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I would like to see someone else's take on a gaming award show. We have already the game awards from him.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
If there has to be a Gamer Christmas this year then I'd be more inclined to have game companies treat TGS as a bigger deal than normal especially since there's still a good chance of TGS happening as normal. Even before COVID-19 happened I was kind of expecting MS and Sony to have a bigger presence at TGS cause it's the last big show before the consoles launch, Sony always has some sort of presence and MS clearly wants to make another big push into Japan so TGS is a good way of doing that.

Otherwise I'm good with companies just rolling shit out whenever.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
dont think i can take two kojima egostroking blocks per year so nah

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This just describes The Game Awards honestly, and part of me thinks that the "awards" part of it was just a vehicle to expand it into the trade show that it's becoming today

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
giphy.gif

Flattered to see a thread about this. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
E3 has primarily been for the developers to showcase what's coming up, and VGA as a way to celebrate what we've seen. I think he could find a balance to appeal to the E3 audience as well as those for the game awards.

I'd be all for Geoff doing both, but I'd also be concerned about him burning out working on both non-stop in the six months leading up to each.

EDIT: I also just realized who posted above me lol

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I really hope the VGA's takes place in some sort of MMO with hundreds of players gathered around a fake stage.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, I'd love to see it, but I don't know how feasible it'd be in such short notice.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I think there is enough space in the industry for more than one person to host the big gaming event events.