• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you miss E3?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure yet

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Basically as the title says, do you miss E3 and why?

I do miss having a specific moment where everything gaming comes together.
I miss the pre-E3 Leaks weeks, the days of press conferences from major platforms/developers, followed up by deep dives with developers and hands-on impressions.

What say you ERA?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly miss having all the news contained within a few days. Not a fan of this much more spread out variant.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I miss having a complete day schedule for three dys in a row. Reallly meant that this period of time was important. Heck, i'm sleeping better, but is this a way to live?

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Kind of. The thing I miss most, is the Giant Bomb coverage.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Of course. I liked getting that one Christmas-like week with all of the news. It being spread out like this is lame tbh. And I'm not even sure if it's better for pubs overall, because I feel like I'm missing a bunch of stuff? Or skipping things I usually wouldn't during e3 week.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I miss having big announcements, but it's not like they aren't happening because E3 isn't happening, it's more down to everything else that's going on.

Like, if everything we've seen so far this year was shown within a week at E3, it still would have been very weak. Perhaps even more-so considering it'd involve people in Europe staying up to ungodly hours to be disappointed.

Really wouldn't mind the spread-out approach next year so long as it was more like 2 months and there were the games to bolster it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, not really. Sure, it's nice to have everything all at once over a week but at the same time, after E3 we'd always have the rest of the summer where it'd be dead quiet for gaming news. I'm actually enjoying having it all spread out throughout the summer.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Even though EA isn't actually part of E3, after EA's show this year and the fact that Microsoft and Ubisoft aren't even doing anything until July, I am so curious as to what would have even been shown at E3 this year.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
E3 means we probably would've had more Breath of the Wild 2 news, so yes I miss it.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
E3 was fun, but I like having all these streams and announcements to look forward through the year leading up to the new console releases.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly care about e3 as a format, and having stuff spread out like this is fun enough. But it is a little annoying when it comes to certain things like really wanting to see more Zelda but not knowing when or if we will.

So I'd say it's not the lack of e3 that I dislike. It's the lack of any kind of real structure or guarantees.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
We don't even have a date for the MS first party presentation. Yeah, I miss it. It's way too spread out. It's basically like normal.

I'm talking about the internet coverage, mever been there and not particularly interested in going either.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think this year has proven to me that getting swept up in the excitement of E3 has left me personally a little misled on more than one occasion in the past. I think I actually appreciate how sobered I've felt by game reveals so far -- I imagine if they were happening on stage with me hanging out with friends in a living room watching a livestream with crowds cheering, I'd have given them a way overinflated level of enthusiasm.

It's not at all that I have nothing to be enthusiastic about -- quite the contrary -- but I feel like I would've been way too overhyped for things that truly don't deserve it based purely on the spectacle of it all. I like this more leveled out view I'm putting into things being shown now... I can be appropriately excited rather than 50% too excited.

EDIT: I do of course miss hanging out with friends and sharing a common thing to be excited about. But I am also definitely glad I'm not overhyping my expectations on games based on the E3 boost.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, I can see why even before COVID people are starting to move away from it, but the hype was great and watching it with GAF and then Era was always a blast

The GIF threads at the old place alone were worth the price of admission

Sylvalum

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Yes, but I'm not missing E3 exactly, E3 had a lot of room for improvement, so I'd rather say that I miss when we had everything grouped in a single week and you could feel the hype together at the same time. Now I don't even have energy to watch an entire standard streaming as I'd normally do because I'm not feeling that hype.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I wouldn't and that the streams would provide a better rollout of information, but in reality, yeah I miss it and how condensed the information was.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, just have a week where we get a ton of news. The PS5 reveal happened, and that would have been by far the biggest part of E3 for me. But also, good to see some more third party stuff, and that hasn't delivered at all so far. Far too stretched out.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I love the atmosphere of E3. Two weeks just pure madness.

The PlayStation stream lifted the mood a bit, but I can't deny that everything happening around the world just really gets to me these days.

The spread out information is just making it difficult to follow all those streams, and some of them feel half assed. Except for EA, they were garbage for years.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the conference itself but yes I miss having a week of gaming news with hands on impressions vs 3-4 months of a trailer here and there. Especially when trailers these days tell you nothing about the game.

Last edited:

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
I like that the news and announcements are more spread out... feel like I'm able to give each game (even he smaller stuff) more time to digest the info around it rather than just watching the initial trailer and moving on.

drunkpacman

Jun 10, 2020
Online E3 could have worked if they kept it to one week, but this slow drip-feed of news is really killing it for me. Damn I miss E3 and the week of hype.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the certainty of knowing that certain announcements were going to happen, like a Smash character. Now who knows when things are going to come, they just drop randomly.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
I honestly really just miss the schedule. One week where everything was there, you weren't thinking "Oh, I wonder when we'll see this" all the time throughout the course of the 3 months that are the Summer of Gaming.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I miss E3, all the information put into one week made it fun.

I thought it being more spread out would give the smaller titles to shine but that hasn't been the case.

Wane

Nov 3, 2019
Mostly no. The rare thrill of big reveals was usually buried in mountains of cringy BS.
That said, I would probably watch E3 presentations, should they return.. What is wrong with me?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Since absolutely nothing is happening, yeah, kind of missing it a bit.
The usual period more than E3 itself.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I certainly miss having all the news contained within a few days. Not a fan of this much more spread out variant.

yep. we got all the concentrated news within a week. Instead of spread out, never knowing what we will get, rumors and innuendo....and so far just a lack of info and game footage period. Only the Sony event even came close to e3 quality so far. Everything else has been disappointing.

Like traditionally after E3 is done you have a satisfied feeling you're ready and know how the holidays will shake out. Now, we're still waiting on EG, Microsoft's moment etc.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I definitely miss the barrage of new announcements condensed into one week. I also really miss the E3 show floor specials for Huber Syndrome and Easy Update.

Ya can't feel a carpet in a stream.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I do.

I know E3 definately has it warts and has a lot of things it can improve on, but it's always a bit of a gaming holiday for me.. lots of reveals, cool interviews and tree house segment.

Yeah I hope companies will go back to E3 next year.. I really hope. But who knows what the future will hold after this year :S

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I say no because I think I like all this news being spread out. But I do miss really the Giant Bomb night show.

Oct 27, 2017
Not even remotely. If ERA didn't remind me that this was E3 time, I wouldn't even notice. And seeing the announcements made so far, I would have been totally underwhelmed by this year's potential E3.

So, no, I don't miss it even one bit.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Funny sidenote: Sony, the company that said goodbye to E3 in 2018, delivered the best show and the only E3 worthy moment in 2020 so far.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I miss it a ton. These events strung over a month+ are impossible to follow, and had E3 proceeded as normal we would have known SO MUCH MORE about everything.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Not at all. Loved the way Sony did they presentation and for once I did not have to stay up till 6 in the morning to watch their conference.