• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which would you hate more? Sony buying Capcom or Sony buying Square Enix?

• Square Enix

Votes: 206 13.2%
  • Capcom

Votes: 428 27.4%
  • Neither I am fine either way

Votes: 697 44.7%
  • I would hate either happening

Votes: 230 14.7%

• Total voters

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
I'm pretty neutral but personally I wouldn't like it. Microsoft at least reliably brings titles to PC, which is what I mainly use, so I've actually been able to play their exclusive titles - not like, ages after release, but on launch day. Sony is just not reliable at that, only recently bringing a few titles.

Likewise I wouldn't be happy if Nintendo bought either of these, even though Nintendo is my console of choice. They too do not reliably (ever) bring titles to PC.

Morally it's not my decision, but in an ideal world there wouldn't be exclusives, but there are good reasons for them in our current situation - even if they're not ideal for us consumers (and sometimes not ideal for producers).

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
If this resulted in PS and PC like MS does, would vote "neither" but as Sony mostly remains in the traditional "on my console only" stance "both".

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I fucks with one Squeenix franchise and that's FF. I do love it, though.
I fucks with multiple Capcom franchises including RE, Dead Rising, and now MH. MHW might be my GotG.
I am buying an XSX at launch and waiting on the PS5 until an all black digital model with a bigger SSD comes out.

So, given those facts, I would hate/fear Capcom being bought by Sony more. Although, I wouldn't meltdown on forums and pretend like it's some atrocity against humanity or anything. I'd move on.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Why would you want that to happen? Wtf. Bethesda is already bad enough. Major third parties should never be bought out like that.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Both. Square would be worse, as although they're mostly useless they do still publish Dragon Quest. Capcom don't make anything I'm interested in anymore now they seem to have dropped Phoenix Wright.

Boomchil

Nov 1, 2017
France
Honestly Squix is worth nothing to me nowadays. Didn't even bother to look at FF16 trailers, which is very sad considering how I loved FF back then.

Even Stadia can buy them it doesn't matter to me.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I guess Capcom since they still actively support Nintendo and Microsoft. A lot of Square's stuff ends up being exclusive on Sony platforms anyway, while the Switch gets old ports and Microsoft gets scraps if they get it at all.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I guess Capcom since they still actively support Nintendo and Microsoft. A lot of Square's stuff ends up being exclusive on Sony platforms anyway, while the Switch gets old ports and Microsoft gets scraps if they get it at all.
Switch gets tons of exclusives from Square. Bravely Default II, Octopath Traveler, TWEWY (okay thats an old port, but they added loads!). Dragon Quest XI S was Switch exclusive at first too. Square have also released Collections of Mana and Saga that are switch exclusive. Meanwhile Capcom has Monster Hunter Rise and...that's it? We'd have a lot more to lose from SE going Sony exclusive.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Anyone buying Capcom would be terrifying for me. I don't want some huge first party publisher deciding fighting games aren't important anymore and abandoning Street Fighter because it doesn't sell like Spider-Man.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Neither. I already hate the Zenimax deal (and they don't even make games I like). Let third-party be third-party. If you want exclusive games from them just pay them to do it so their other games can still be Multiplattform titles.

Last edited:

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Square has for a long time been Sony focused. So very little would change overall. Capcom would cause the biggest change if they were bought as they do more multi plats.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
As a Switch owner, Square would probably be a bigger blow. Losing both on PC would also suck.

Not a fan of dev/IP consolidation in general. MS acquisitions don't sting too much with their current PC strategy, but it can go bad real fast in the future. Just look at the trail of dead studios EA left over the years, or the many IPs stuck dormant in Square-Enix's vault forever.

LatteToGo

Oct 28, 2017
Neither. Fine by me
MS own bethesda now, so why cant sony own capcom or SE??
Hell I dont mind if big N own Sega or CDPR too

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Wouldn't bother me either way. We know this is the future for the industry. They will probably all get gobbled up sooner or later.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Chris turns to Leon "Come on, we need to eliminate the bandit camps to move up our skill tree."

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
If there is a choice I would want Sony to go after SE. If anything a lot of their IPs are known for being PlayStation like Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider.

Hypothetically if their is any retaliation Sony would be smart about it. They would need certain franchises that would "hurt" Microsoft. In my opinion that should go after Bungie. One it would be a blow for a former Microsoft studio joining the competition. Two that they gain the Destiny IP.

The other would be CDPR. They would gain access to GOG platform on PC. It would give them there own platform to publish games on PC without paying Steam, Epic etc. Then they would also gain The Witcher and Cyberpunk IPs. Microsoft seems to be mopping up WRPGs and taking those to would stop Microsoft monopoly on the genre.

Frankly I was happy with the status quo but Microsoft upset the Apple cart.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Obviously both should stay independent but personally I'll be playing their games on PS5 either way.

I think Capcom will be worse though because they're on a role on their own while SE does need a bit of a kick in the ass when it comes to quality control. Plus I have a feeling Sony could bring back Deus Ex which I need.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I said either, but it's probably Square. I would hate if I couldn't get any Square JRPGs on Switch or whatever hybrid comes after

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I feel like with Sony's focus on both gaming and anime they'd prob consider Kadokawa over Capcom

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I don't like capitalism, and I don't like consolidation, but I accept that these things are part of the world we live in

so ambivalent I guess. Not afraid in any case

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There word has been around for a while now that Capcom was being eyed by Microsoft, if not for MHWorld kinda saving the company.

What word?

I see people post these kinds of things often. i.e. "There's been a lot of rumors about Microsoft buying [Company Here]," but most of the time it's not an actual rumor, just fanboy fantasies.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a choice I would want Sony to go after SE. If anything a lot of their IPs are known for being PlayStation like Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider.

Hypothetically if their is any retaliation Sony would be smart about it. They would need certain franchises that would "hurt" Microsoft. In my opinion that should go after Bungie. One it would be a blow for a former Microsoft studio joining the competition. Two that they gain the Destiny IP.

The other would be CDPR. They would gain access to GOG platform on PC. It would give them there own platform to publish games on PC without paying Steam, Epic etc. Then they would also gain The Witcher and Cyberpunk IPs. Microsoft seems to be mopping up WRPGs and taking those to would stop Microsoft monopoly on the genre.

Frankly I was happy with the status quo but Microsoft upset the Apple cart.

I'm telling you once Sony grabs a major publisher, Microsoft is going to take Bank publishing seriously and start buying out publishers out of the Woodworks.

That would be like telling Microsoft come at me bro but Microsoft is the one with the big muscles and can stand 7 feet tall vs small but fast 6 foot Sony. This would end horribly for Sony in the long run.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait, is resetera pro-consolidation? those poll results are not what I expected.

Mainly people in the console OTs yes. Ever since Microsoft were picking up studios by the number a couple years ago people were making wish/grocery of devs they would like to see be picked up. A lot of people didn't like the possibility of Microsoft going after FromSoftware or Platinum for example and vice versa for Sony or Nintendo.

Before even before the Zenimax purchase there was a rumor about Zenimax and Sony in talks earlier in the year and the people in the Playstation OT were eating it up. Funny ass twist for them that turned out that it was Microsoft being the one that bought Zenimax but not Sony.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm telling you once Sony grabs a major publisher, Microsoft is going to take Bank publishing seriously and start buying out publishers out of the Woodworks.

That would be like telling Microsoft come at me bro but Microsoft is the one with the big muscles and can stand 7 feet tall vs small but fast 6 foot Sony. This would end horribly for Sony in the long run.
I mean realistically, if Sony bought one of these two...especially capcom, that would be enough to balance out with microsoft even if they then retaliated back and bought some more.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want either to happen. I don't use XBox but I would hate for those who prefer that ecosystem to not be able to play games that should be multiplat.

Jun 23, 2019

This is not just a money thing and people need to stop thinking it is. If money was the only barrier, MS would have bought the entire gaming world by now. It comes down to making smart investments. MS isn't even done with the Bethesda acquisition and one it goes through will have to go through the process of breaking down the studios. MS isn't going to just turn around and buy another just because Sony did. They aren't playing Monopoly with paper money.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Capcom's mostly fine now, I feel like Sony could help whip Square into shape with getting games out on time, help with ambitious development and costs etc

But as someone who mostly plays on Nintendo hardware and doesn't own a Playstation, I'd rather Sony not buy either

Oct 25, 2017
The results of this poll and the results of all them posts whenever a buyout, timed exclusive etc happen don't add up in the slightest

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If I had to pick, Capcom, because they've done an incredible job at turning things around and are currently making some of the best games in the industry IMO. It would be a shame to make so many great games exclusive going forward.

If Sony were to acquire Square, I actually think their output would improve significantly. IF I had to choose a publisher to be acquired, it would probably be them, I suppose.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Neither, I'd love for it to happen, actually. The average quality of the titles released by both would probably skyrocket, especially with Square Enix as it is in much need of a management shakeup.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would hate either. If Microsoft bought them at least we'd still get games on PC.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Neither, I'd love for it to happen, actually. The average quality of the titles released by both would probably skyrocket, especially with Square Enix as it is in much need of a management shakeup.

I can't disagree.

Make this same thread and replace Sony w/ Microsoft and let's see what the results are.