• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which would you hate more? Sony buying Capcom or Sony buying Square Enix?

• Square Enix

Votes: 206 13.2%
  • Capcom

Votes: 428 27.4%
  • Neither I am fine either way

Votes: 697 44.7%
  • I would hate either happening

Votes: 230 14.7%

• Total voters

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
And barring the games to PS and occasionally PC.

What would be the bigger lose in your viewpoint? Just a poll survey to see what people value more or fear losing more? 🤔

It isn't like this can't ever be a reality in the future, so let's evaluate the overall idea and how it impacts you.

You can also post about you being not against it or which you'd assume fits better with Sony. Sony is close with both more so then ever in the last decade and the landscape has changed for better or for worse.

Square-Enix-logo.jpg
capcom-hd.jpg

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont really care for square. capcom being bought by sony would guarantee that all of capcoms old ip is left to rot forever tho so that

Dec 15, 2017
As a pc gamer I hate them buying anything. Not a fan of their 90s style take on exclusivities. MS approach seems to be the lesser evil.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Both. That would mean gatekeeping an astonishing amount of masterpieces in their back catalogue, in a way Microsoft hasn't done with Minecraft (but they kinda did with Rare N64 library, tho).

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Why should I "fear"? Lmao

If they wanted to sell good for them.
I mean, If Capcom games are PlayStation exclusives i have no problems in buying a PS5 to play them

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Either. Both. Any other independent publisher. I'm tired of consolidation in this industry.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would hate both.
I love to have my handheld Monster Hunter and RPG games.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It would depend on what games come to PC because if I have to play something like FF16 on PS5? That's fine.

Dying Light 2 on PS5? Without mods and worse performance? Fuck that.

In general, I'd probably say that I'd hate if they bought Capcom more.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Preferably neither but if they HAVE to, Capcom I guess, they're more reliable than Square Enix and they have Monster Hunter, which will give them more popularity in Japan

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what's with this obsession about sony buying capcom or SE?
personally i'd be more annoyed at SE being bought, but both seem like fantasy scenarios.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony should pick up both if only so I can sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch the internet kerplode :)

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
None. Let third parties be independent. Losing bethesda(even if ms is releasing everything on PC) is a big blow for the industry. See disney if you want to see why consolidation is bad for customers.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft has bought Bethesda so I no longer fear anything. I just accept that I will be prived of playing many many games.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I don't really play many Capcom games, so Square. I would hate to lose those AA Nintendo RPGs.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Seeing how Square Enix is not doing anything with Deus Ex anyway. Sony can have 'em...

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not scared of either, but still wouldn't want either, but I think the answer is Capcom because it feels like they got more/bigger (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, etc.) multiplatform stuff whereas Square already does PlayStation timed exclusivity with franchises like Final Fantasy

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Square Enix; even though I'm getting a Ps5, I think Sony buying Square Enix would mean the death of games like Octopath Traveller and Bravely Default 2.... That would be unforgivable.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Capcom cause games like Ace Attorney and other stuff Capcom has produced for handhelds are seemingly dead already but with a small glimmer of returning, while a buy out by Sony would cement their death for sure. Yeah they released the Trilogy remaster multiplat but the lion's share of the series sales are on Nintendo. Without that I see zero hope they'll attempt to continue it.

SE would still be making the games I'm interested in regardless of whether they were a platform exclusive or not. I would miss stuff like OT and BD, but BD2 already looks pretty crappy and I don't love them that much to be really miffed if they were to go away entirely.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
neither would be a good thing

can we stop cheerleading this type of nonsense?

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom, because Street Fighter V aside, their PC ports are excellent. They're also still on top of their game in regards to quality.

I feel like Square could actually improve under Sony. Plus an Uncharted/Tomb Raider crossover would be dope.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
They would both suck very badly. Square Enix would impact me more, personally, since I don't really care about any of Capcom's franchises besides Mega Man, which has been in a rough spot for years now anyways (Sony owning the franchise would probably put it in an even more dire situation).

Square Enix would basically turn into only being used for Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts at this point (maybe Tomb Raider?). Smaller titles like Trials of Mana, Octopath Traveler, and Bravely Default would have no future in a situation like this, and those are the titles I care most about with Square Enix these days.

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, can people tell how I now know how to make a poll that is asking the exact same question as the OP/Title?

I learnt so much, I have grown. 😊

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I think either would be lousy for the industry, which is the same opinion I have about the Bethesda acquisition.

That said, I have only ever and will only ever buy these company's titles on Sony (and back in the day Nintendo) consoles. So an acquisition of either would likely impact me very little.

Oct 24, 2019
Things I care about from Capcom:
-Resident Evil
-Onimusha
-Dragon's Dogma
-Dino Crisis

Things I care about from Square Enix:
-Kingdom Hearts
-Deus Ex
-Final Fantasy
-Parasite Eve

Idk, both pubs have a few big franchises that I really like, and both pubs have a lot of franchises that I couldn't care less about (Mega Man, Dragon Quest, etc.)

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We JUST got portable Monster Hunter back, don't take that from me again!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care anymore. The industry is a shithole and consolidation isn't going to stop, so I would rather Sony get some RPG studios before Microsoft owns the entire fucking genre.