• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which controller do you prefer?

• Switch Pro Controller

Votes: 355 20.6%
  • Dual Shock 4

Votes: 659 38.2%
  • Xbox One Controller

Votes: 711 41.2%

• Total voters

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't tried the Switch pro or the Xbox controller but the DS4 is really small for my hands.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Xbox One - any version. Most comfortable and can keep on going wireless with rechargeable AAs.

Switch controller has great battery life going for it...and not much else. PS4 controller is comfortable but has to be tethered to a cable whenever I'm not using it if I don't want it to die.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
XB1, but I don't own a Switch. DS4 is fine, and I'm totally comfortable with it, but given the choice (ie. on PC), I'll always reach for the XB1 controller first.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No Steam Controller on the list, so on PC the DS4 comes the closest for me. Gyro settings, a touch pad even though I can't use it for mouse look, and I'm used to it.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Xbox One. Minimalist, great triggers, perfect size, perfect weight, great battery life especially with Play and Charge. Only massive flaw is no built in battery.

Dualshock 4 is nice, but in my admittedly limited time with it, I found it a bit too small and fragile feeling and I hate the massive plasticky triggers. Touchpad and light also seem to have limited functionality and take up too much space/battery at the cost of QOL features.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
On their native consoles, XB1 controller easily since I like the ergonomics much more, the battery life is (a little) better and the extra features on the DS4 are rarely used effectively. Also don't like the Playstation stick format. Switch Pro I like the great battery life, the rubberized grips are nice, but it doesn't fit my hands as well and the D-Pad is bad. I also don't like how much less reliably it turns on the Switch itself, always have to mess around with it for 15 seconds.

On Steam, I found more use for the DS4's motion/touchpad with all the customization available. Control media, voice chat, map save slots, etc. without having to rely on multiple button combinations as much. And occasionally actually use the gyro for a game. I probably have still used the XB1 controller more though.

So yeah I like aspects from them all, definitely would like some hybrid form more than any individual but I'd generally just give the nod to the one that feels best XB1.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Switch Pro controller but I'd give the edge to the XB1 controller. I've only held a DS4 once and it felt a bit tiny in my hands (but not nearly as bad as the DS3).

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Overall, One S

My perfect controller would be the One S form/grip and shoulder buttons, Switch's Pro battery, and 8bitdo d-pad.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DualShock 4. I hate asymmetrical sticks.

This makes me glad that the DualShock 5 is going to be virtually the same.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Used them all quite a bit and they're all good, I'm not unhappy using any when I need to. But if I had to pick one, it'd be Xbox. Always found it the most comfy to use.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just gonna conveniently leave out the best controller of the generation, huh?

640px-Nintendo-Wii-U-Pro-Controller-Black.jpg

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the Xbox One controller, but I dislike the analog sticks. They are too high and narrow.
I like the placement of the dpad in the PS4 controller
The most overall comfortable design is Switch Pro for me. The analog sticks are the best for me. Battery life is great and I can also use it with Steam.

Jun 2, 2019
The pro controller feels nice in the hands, but is otherwise an overpriced POS.

Wait what? It's marginally more expensive than the Dual Shock 4, wich features horrible battery life.

Switch pro controller for me by the way. Ergonomic, comfy, big buttons, amazing sticks. It's a joy to use and can be used in both Switch and PC (Natively on Steam, using the 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter for everything). Dpad is not the best but awesome battery life.

Xbox one on a respectable 2nd place and DS4 keeping it up with the traditional mediocrity of the Dual Shock family. Using the light as an ambilight (sort of) lite on PC is cool

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One. I played through Celeste on both my Switch and Xbox One, and prefer to go back to the Xbox when I revisit it.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
IMO its
Xbone->Switch-> PS4

In terms of games tho its probably
Switch/PS4 tied and then >>>>>>>>>>Xbone lol.

I don't actually think I've played a single Xbone exclusive for more then an hour

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Other: Wii U Pro Controller. The best one of the bunch.

Besides that I don't really have a preference; all excel at different things. Though if I had to pick I'd choose the DualShock 4 simply because of how many fighting games I play. Xbox controller is garbage for fighting games and so is this Switch Pro controller by logic.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I only have the Switch Pro Controller and Dual Shock 4 but between those I'd take the Pro Controller pretty easy. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the XBO controller over either of them, though.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
wii u Pro's stick placement was such a good decision, made playing shooters like Splatoon sooo damnnn GOOOD

anyway I wish there was 1 combination of all....cause they all have their drawbacks

Switch pro is great but lacks a Headphone jack =/
Dualshock 4 has piss poor battery life and its stick feels cheap
Xbox one controller....still has fucking batteries yuck

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Xbox controller is the best one by a lot when it comes to 3D games but when it comes to 2D games the Dualshock wins so I'm going with that one, so it's a difficult question to answer.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dims

I'm like 50/50 between this and the Xbox 1 controller. Stadia controller feels more comfortable.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox mainly for the triggers and ultimate PC compatibility.

DS4 is close though. It's a lot better for 2D games thanks to the dpad placement.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
DS4 since Sony is the only one capable of making a good d-pad apparently. I never liked the X-box controllers due to their awful d-pads and Nintendo usually varies from good to crap. Smh I can only rely on Sony to make a good controller.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Switch Pro is great. Ergonomics, sticks, buttons, triggers are all very satisfying. Battery life is incredible also. Wii U Pro is better than the Switch Pro, though.

DS 4 is horrible. The sticks are uncomfortable in terms of ergonomics. There's too much of a stretch in the thumbs. They also feel short and loose. DS 4's buttons also feel mushy without a nice clicky tappy pop.

Regular Xbox is better than DS 4 but worse than Switch Pro.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One hands down for me.

Switch Pro is just the Xbox design, but no ability to replace batteries.

DualShock 4 has a weak battery life, and I prefer the Xbox layout more.

Nov 4, 2017
The pro us the most comfortable IMO, has nice big buttons, great battery life and HD rumble. But it loses too main points for the faulty D-pad, stick grind, no headphone jack and no analogue triggers.

DS4 therefore takes the prize for me. The battery life is not great, but other than that it's a very comfortable, feature-rich controller.

Oct 25, 2017
The D-pad is a huge liability for the Switch Pro when it comes to anything that requires tap inputs (i.e. falling-block games like Tetris, Puyo Puyo, Lumines), but for most purposes the controller is wonderful, and I've been using it as a PC pad for games that I previously preferred to play with KB+M.

Great battery life. HD Rumble (which I enjoy very much). Good traction on the grip, even though the whole unit is a little on the heavy side. Significantly better placement of +/- than on the Joy-Cons. But more importantly for PC: Nintendo's ABXY button layout plus gyro aiming. I set this up on Steam, which supports the Nintendo layout platform-wide and is immensely configurable for motion controls, and the experience has been marvellous. Among other things, I can actually enjoy FPS with a controller for the first time in my life.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i like the ps4 controller overall the best. if you gave the switch pro controller analog triggers and the ps4 dpad i'd choose it over everything else. not a fan of the shoulder buttons on xbox controllers. i prefer offset sticks though. loving my astro controller for PS4 nice weight, and has paddles.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? It's marginally more expensive than the Dual Shock 4, wich features horrible battery life.

Switch pro controller for me by the way. Ergonomic, comfy, big buttons, amazing sticks. It's a joy to use and can be used in both Switch and PC (Natively on Steam, using the 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter for everything). Dpad is not the best but awesome battery life.

Xbox one on a respectable 2nd place and DS4 keeping it up with the traditional mediocrity of the Dual Shock family. Using the light as an ambilight (sort of) lite on PC is cool
The Pro Controller is almost never on sale whereas the DS4 is almost perpetually available for half it's MSRP and one comes with the system. Additionally the pro controller has a defective d-pad, analog sticks that can develop drift issues, no analog triggers, and no headphone jack. Given that it's practically a mandatory accessory for the Switch, the value and build quality is really bad given the price.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One controller by far. It's just so much more comfortable and natural to me. Switch is close behind (seriously why digital triggers????) and then DualShock 4...then in the very very back is every other DualShock thats come out

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The DualShock 4 being in second and in second by that much ahead of the Switch Pro controller is a horrible indictment on this forum.
The Switch Pro has terrible "triggers" that aren't even analog, and the sticks don't feel as precise to me as the DS4 sticks. Also, the face buttons are just a tad oversized for no good reason. The DS4 buttons feel like the perfect size.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Pro Controller is almost never on sale whereas the DS4 is almost perpetually available for half it's MSRP and one comes with the system. Additionally the pro controller has a defective d-pad, analog sticks that can develop drift issues, no analog triggers, and no headphone jack. Given that it's practically a mandatory accessory for the Switch, the value and build quality is really bad given the price.

Not a mandatory accessory.