• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which controller do you prefer?

• Switch Pro Controller

Votes: 355 20.6%
  • Dual Shock 4

Votes: 659 38.2%
  • Xbox One Controller

Votes: 711 41.2%

• Total voters

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
We are reaching the end of the generation and I have managed to have the controllers of the big three. They are right in front of me. I think they are amazing and Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony have made an amazing job this gen.

My personal vote goes for the Switch Pro Controller because I absolutely love the HD rumble and the bigger buttons. Shame it has not analog triggers and an input for the headphones tho.

What is your vote? Why? What do you expect for the next gen controller-wise? I´m excited to hear Dual Shock 5 (tentative name) will have haptic feedback.

(Please don´t start writing why can´t I choose more than one option because the thing is to choose one winner and expose why)

Controller-2.jpg

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like the Switch Pro the most. I find it has the most comfortable d-pad of the three, at least in my own experience.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I havn't had a X1 controller yet but between Dual Shock and Switch Pro, Switch Pro is clearly winning for me.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Xbox, I use it on Xbox, PS4, Switch, and PC, one controller for all

Switch is close second, but can only work, well, with switch, and no headphone jack. But other than that its great, that battery life

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I love the Switch Pro Controller but wish it had the analog triggers. People complain about the D-Pad, but I don't play a lot of game that utilize it too heavily. Dualshock I'm not a fan of the symmetrical sticks & the battery life is pretty bad. I like the general layout/feel of the Xbox One controller, but using AAs for the power is a huge turn off. I'll give it to the Pro Controller for my personal needs.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Xbox, but I don't really have a strong preference, only a very slight one.

Right now I'm trying out an Elite V2. Haven't really had it long enough to have an informed opinion yet though.

The Switch Pro's dpad is way too mushy for me.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dual Shock 4 by a wide margin but I find the switch pro the worst out of all of them and the xbox one controller is great.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox > Switch Pro > PS4 for me.

I like the asymmetrical sticks and the weight of the XBO pad. Switch pad is alright. Not overly fond of the DS4 although it is better than the DS3. Feels so cheaply made and the battery is way to small.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One controller with DS4 stick placement and D-Pad would be perfect for me.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One and Switch Pro are both great. Dual Shock 4 is terrible to me. Hate the stick position, the stick tension, and the battery life.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the Switch Pro controller but the lack of triggers and the bad d-pad sinks what is otherwise a controller that was made for me. Love the weight, love the form factor, love the big buttons and the big joysticks

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I did not add it to the poll because it is a premium exprensive product and not the default option for its console. If many people ask for it I will update the poll.
pro controller for switch is also not default, that would be joycons

You have to buy the pro controller separately

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I prefer asymmetric analog sticks and of the two with them, Xbox takes it. And as it have been pointed out, Switch Pro is not the default controller as the other two are.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used a Switch Pro Controller, so I can't include it in my consideration, but I do prefer the Xbox controller to the DualShock. YMMV but for me, personally, the Xbox controller feels more comfortable to hold and use, both in the general shape and with the asymmetrical sticks.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I have all 3.

I prefer them in order from favorite to least as X1X Controller, the Switch Pro, then the DS4, I rarely touch my PS4 outside of exclusives.

The battery life and feel of the DS4 are both annoying compared to the other 2. It's why I only have 2 DS4s and 6 Xbox 1 X controllers in the house.

I use the Xbox controllers on the gaming PCs we have too. My daughters use either X1 or 360 controllers to play on their PC, and X1 obviously on their Xbox. Only use Switch Pro with the Switch.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
My perfect controller would be the body of the Xbox One controller with the stick placement of a DS4, wired.

Since that doesn't exist, I just use the Xbox One controller, too many issues with sticky buttons on my DS4 and I hate the touchpad/light bar.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Xbox but only because I prefer their color options honestly lol, I'm fine with any controller these days. I do use the xbox one the most because of my PC but I'd be just as happy with a DualShock. Used the pro controller the least but it's good too.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
DualShock 4 probably just because I've used it so much over the years, feels right in my hands at this point. Switch Pro is very comfortable too.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have all 3.

I prefer them in order from favorite to least as X1X Controller, the Switch Pro, then the DS4, I rarely touch my PS4 outside of exclusives.

The battery life and feel of the DS4 are both annoying compared to the other 2. It's why I only have 2 DS4s and 6 Xbox 1 X controllers in the house.

I use the Xbox controllers on the gaming PCs we have too. My daughters use either X1 or 360 controllers to play on their PC, and X1 obviously on their Xbox. Only use Switch Pro with the Switch.
you can use your xbox controller on switch

That is what i use, and i can use my xbox one controller for all my systems

for ps4, the headset plug works just the same for sound and voice chat, and on switch gyro also works (the device brings gyro)

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
All I want to know is why no one ever made a PC controller worth a damn

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If I could have a Dual Shock controller with the size and robustness of the Switch Pro Controller I would be in goddamn heaven. I like the PS analog stick placement but I like the size and hand feel of the Pro Controller.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite controller isn't on your poll -- the Steam controller. It features pads which are far better for camera control and aiming than an analog stick. Not to mention their versatility. It has back buttons, dual-stage triggers (analog + digital final click), haptic feedback, and gyro support. It has a battery life of 80+ hours. It's arguably the best modern controller available, and frequently goes on sale for $35.

What do I want from next-gen controllers? An attempt to innovate past the traditional dual-analog design.

What do I expect? Another traditional dual-analog design.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Xbox One controller (preferably the Elite s2) > Switch Pro controller >>> Dual Shock 4

Not even close. The Xbox One and Switch Pro controllers allow me to keep my hands symmetrical with my play style which is far more comfortable than the DS4.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The pro controller feels nice in the hands, but is otherwise an overpriced POS.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the Xbox controller over the Dualshock 4 because of how it feels in my hands. There's a lot of things I like about the dualshock 4 more than the Xbox One S controller but the comfort of the Xbox trumps those aspects for me. If the Dualshock 5 had ergronomics that were more similar to the Xbox controller I'd likely switch and make it my main controller for PC gaming

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Switch Pro would definitely be my choice if it didn't have a garbage D-pad and occasionally just randomly lose sync with the system.
Xbox One controller I just hate the LB/RB buttons on, but otherwise it feels really nice.
DS4 I have no real complaints about, so I guess it wins.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
If the Pro Controller had an audio port, it would be that one for me. Alas, that's too big of an oversight for me and I'd have to choose the XBO. The DS4 has such a POS battery that I get irrationally angry at it.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
XB1 Elite > XB1 regular = Switch Pro >> DS4

DS4 is really the only one I have major issues with. The battery life is abysmal and I just find it more uncomfortable to hold compared to it's competitors.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have all of them plus the X1 Elite, and I vastly prefer the DS4 to all of them except for battery life which it's the worst. I just find PS controllers far more comfortable.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
switch pro > xbox

ds4 doesn't rank for me, it's even a bad blu ray remote because it runs out of battery so quickly