• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which issue is the most important problem facing the USA today?

• Economy/Job Market Health

Votes: 21 2.4%
  • Education

Votes: 29 3.4%
  • Immigration Policies

Votes: 17 2.0%
  • Healthcare/Right to Healthcare

Votes: 195 22.7%
  • Climate Change/Environment

Votes: 490 57.0%
  • Civil & Human Rights (Racial Injustice, LGBTQ rights, etc.)

Votes: 63 7.3%
  • Other (Add Comment e.g. govt leadership, wealth gap, abortion law, foreign policy)

Votes: 45 5.2%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm curious what issues are top notch for you and are what you most need to hear a candidate speak on above all. I realize nobody wants a one issue candidate. But we all have priorities.

What do you think is the most important issue facing the USA today?

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
A few of those are tough to ignore, but the world is burning and we're getting dangerously close to the 11th hour to do anything about it. So I vote for Climate Change.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
As someone with various health problems my top issue will probably always be healthcare. I'd feel so much more comfortable under a universal healthcare system.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
It's infrastructure.

Climate change is the most important issue facing us in the very near future, but for today, it's infrastructure. And every day, it's getting worse and more difficult to fix.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I chose other.

Focusing on the U.S., income and wealth equality will go a long way in many of our domestic maladies. Education would be a close second for the U.S.

If we're thinking more globally the most important issue without a doubt is climate change.

Jan 10, 2018
A complete change of the economy which significantly lessens the negative impact on the environment, makes healthcare both affordable and the healthcare sector from bottom to top attractive to work in, doesn't discriminate people based on their gender/color/sexual orientation etc both as customer and workers and gives immigrants a good chance to participate?

Or

All of the above. And they're interconnected.

This

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The rise of social media and the deepening divide in partisan politics.

The combination of those two factors are holding back progress on every other choice in that poll.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
You won't get anywhere on anything until you do something about the religious right and the amount of influence they have on politics.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This reminds me of the campaign e-mails I'd get from Democrats being asked to pick which issue was "most important to me." I don't like the question even as a curiosity. I think it's counterproductive to rank life or death issues against each other.

It's like ranking air, food, water, shelter, etc. At most you're deducing how long you can go without fixing a certain problem but when you don't have any you're dead either way. The only option is to fight for everything.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This reminds me of the campaign e-mails I'd get from Democrats being asked to pick which issue was "most important to me." I don't like the question even as a curiosity. I think it's counterproductive to rank life or death issues against each other.

It's like ranking air, food, water, shelter, etc. At most you're deducing how long you can go without fixing a certain problem but when you don't have any you're dead either way. The only option is to fight for everything.
It's not a Democrat thing. Every major polling group asks some form of this question and makes respondents pick just one or rank them. It's not supposed to be easy, and it's absolutely insightful.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Education. It's responsible for atleast 4 of the other issues in the survey. But that's more of a long term thing

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Hard to really rank them, but off the top of the dome...
  • Climate/Energy/Environment (incl. many direct, hard to ignore human health issues - lead, microplastics, particulates, drought, etc.)
  • Election Security/Integrity/Campaign Finance Reform (kill Citizens United and dark money, gerrymandering)
  • Health Care/Insurance
  • Civil/Human Rights
  • Employment (Automation/Social Safety Net/Discrimination, and the ongoing transition away from a manufacturing-focused economy)
  • Internet Security/Privacy/Net Neutrality
  • The Mitch McConnell strangehold on every branch of government.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Eliminating political parties and corporate influence in government.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's not a Democrat thing. Every major polling group asks some form of this question and makes respondents pick just one or rank them. It's not supposed to be easy, and it's absolutely insightful.

I know it's not party specific. I wasn't meaning to suggest it was.

I can't say how useful it is or isn't to pollsters. But I know I strongly dislike being asked this question this way. As somebody who is immediately affected by more than one of these issues, choosing only one doesn't feel honest at all. To say any one of these issue is more important to me than the others would be a lie. It makes me just not complete the survey. Why contribute to data that misrepresents my needs?

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
I say other. I feel lobbying and corporate interests dominating our politics and civil leadership undermine all efforts to fix, or at least address, any other topics. They do this by way of Political Action Committees, Think Tanks, and other ways and they are fucking dangerous.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Climate change.

It would be money in politics/wealth distribution/income equality/what are we gonna do about the changing nature of employment and all that... But climate change is climate change.

The good news is, the number one issue is a good reason and mechanism through which we can improve all the other ones.

Diya

Oct 27, 2017
Underworld
As someone outside the US I'd hope climate change is critical to Americans (because it affects everyone and doesn't see borders) but sadly many are brainwashed into thinking it's bullshit.

Thankfully ERA is (mostly) clued up and aware of the crisis.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Healthcare, its hard to fix everything else on that list until people have a way to have their health cared for without going bankrupt or just dying. You can start addressing climate change at the same time though.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Civil Rights and racism by a country mile. It's a problem in and of itself, but it's also weaponized to make other US issues worse.

Advances in gun reform, access to healthcare, immigration, education, the welfare state etc... are all held up due to racism.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It doesnt work like that. They are all important and they are all interconnected.

Relativity of "importance" depends on the person. Someone may be alot more likely to be killed by lack of healthcare or racist violence long before climate change comes to become a direct threat to their life

That doesnt mean climate change isnt important either.

Thread had good intentions but wrong framing

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
People are literally detained in camps and it only got 2% of the vote. Nice Era, nice

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Wealth gap and the environment.

The GOP are a party of religious fanatics that seek the apocalypse if not profit and will do anything to get it. Part of what you guys need to do is removing these monsters from each and every last seat that they hold down to the states, and have another party that can compete with the Democratic Party but on a rational basis that acknowledges that wealth inequality and climate change need to be addressed.