• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was Kingdom Hearts 3 worth the wait?

• Yes

Votes: 593 47.0%
  • No

Votes: 296 23.5%
  • It was good, but not worth the wait

Votes: 372 29.5%

• Total voters

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, easily. There were other games since then that would have effectively been KH3 anyways. It isn't perfect but that's expecting the impossible.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well my wait/anticipation time for this game was probably more like a week since that's about how long before its release that I decided to buy it as my first KH game but assuming newcomers are still relevant ITT I'd say that the game overall doesn't really feel like a game that was a long time coming. Just so many of the sections/worlds/aspects in general of the game feel very dated and uninspired- the worst worlds really do feel like they were remastered from the PS2 games they're that bad IMO (those being Monstropolis and Arendelle). Just narrow pathways and corridors of generic baddies to beat up with next to no freedom/exploration/branching paths or well anything other than walking down or up towards the destination. Even the better worlds like Tangled and Toy Story are nothing mind blowing, and the other worlds of Hercules, Twilight Town and Winnie the Pooh are very brief comparatively.

I dunno the gameplay and combat overall is fun, and the Disney stuff is certainly endearing even if the voice acting and dialogue is stilted at best, but if this was a game I was anticipating for a long time I'd be more than a little let down. Don't even get me started on the plot too lol.

Graphics & animations are stellar but most of everything else is disjointed and too simplistic almost as if not much has changed since PS2 games were the standard.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Um actually no. Kingdom Hearts 3 is quite possibly the worst conclusion to a trilogy since Mass Effect 3 in almost the reverse sense. The plot doesn't even move forward until the last 5-8 hours or so depending on how fast you play. It's rushed, poorly written and only seems to serve as a hook for a sequel. Mind you it's got amazing gameplay and the spectacle is awe inducing, but as a series entry it's a bit shit. And isn't at all what I expected or wanted. It isn't even a conclusion. It's rushed tying up of loose ends that didn't need to exist (coded, Ux, 358/2) it almost feels like 2 separate games at the same time. As a stand-alone game, and every entry in a series should be written to push plot forward but also be a good story on its own, it's a bit shit.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean I had only played a few KH games prior to 3, but it wasn't great. It was enjoyable for the most part but 13 years for that is kind of crazy.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Jack and Sally didn't teach me about the Keyblade, Ansem, etc.

They told you about the the story of the Keyblade.

Tia Dalma and King Neptune know could've done it too, the also knew what the Keyblade is

Yen Sid taught Sora about the Keyblade and even tested him.

Mickey is the one that told Sora about Ansem the Wise and Xehanort . Leon just said he was a scientist of the heart. Nice try though.

You keep trying to present the FF cast as these integral and important character when they were just cameos

Joshua told Sora about Portals! He should be in considering the ending yet he is not, because he's just a cameo.

It's fine to want FF characters, I want them next time if possible, but they are NOT integral to KH anymore

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The journey wasn't very fun. And while a few parts of the ending made me happy (some very happy), the way it ultimately played out made me unhappy, and I don't feel like I got proper closure. So no. It wasn't worth the wait for me.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is great and the entire finale portion with so many things being resolved was wonderful. And that final boss fight was just amazing.

Everything else though... I have some real gripes with the story of the some worlds and how it feels like I was placed in the backseat rather than a passenger or co-lead for plenty of them. Frozen's world was the outright worst with this. There's also a serious lack of content unlike any other KH game ever that I now hope the game gets DLC of some kind to fill in so much that is missing, if not a full Final Mix expansion.

They told you about the the story of the Keyblade.

Tia Dalma and King Neptune know could've done it too, the also knew what the Keyblade is

Yen Sid taught Sora about the Keyblade and even tested him.

Mickey is the one that told Sora about Ansem the Wise and Xehanort . Leon just said he was a scientist of the heart. Nice try though.

You keep trying to present the FF cast as these integral and important character when they were just cameos

Joshua told Sora about Portals! He should be in considering the ending yet he is not, because he's just a cameo.

It's fine to want FF characters, I want them next time if possible, but they are NOT integral to KH anymore

The entire Hollow Bastion restoration crew were Final Fantasy characters and we do not even get to see them enjoy the fruits of their labor from restoring Hollow Bastion to its former glory, Radiant Garden.

Radiant Garden is practically the home of many FF characters and original characters.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
13 years of darkness since the last numbered title.
7 years of light since the last full title.

Nomura, you cunning bastard!

13 years? DDD was 2012, that makes 7 years.

That's still ridiculous. That's just shy of enough time to go through high school and get a bachelor's degree. It took so long to make KH3 after DDD that Xehanort's Japanese and English voice actors both died in the interim. And in the end KH3 doesn't do anything particularly different to justify that kind of time between installments. It's certainly not bad, but "What the hell took so long?" is a completely valid reaction to the game.

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of no FF characters.... EDIT: you know what, I'm gonna spoiler this just in case..

I mean..
major cutscenes in the game take place in Radiant Garden and the characters there basically act as the "man in the chair" for Sora during the whole journey. So it's obvious that characters like Leon and company should have been the ones doing that, or at least have been a part of the groups doing that along with Ienzo. It's not like the plot takes place under a completely different context and they never visit places where the FF characters would be. Their exclusion is jarring because the roles they played in 1 and 2 are being filled by entirely different characters, who live in the same world as they do, for no real reason. It simply doesn't make sense that none of them ever show up and nobody mentions of them at all. Like they just fucking vanished from existence. Are they sleeping in a pod somewhere and everybody lost their memories of them? It's bad writing for a series where players are clearly going to be expecting those characters to show up. For them to just suddenly not even exist. Hell, when Ienzo is first introduced in this game Sora and co aren't even sure if they should trust them (rightfully so), but then eventually do because....... plots gotta move forward? You know what would have solved this issue? Leon is there helping Ienzo (like he would be inclined to do seeing as how his group became the de facto leaders of Radiant Garden after every body else deserted it) and Leon tells Sora it's ok to trust these guys.

There's no good excuse for the exclusion of these characters given the way the plot of this game plays out. It's jarring and annoying and leaves bad impression of behind the scenes shit getting in the way of actually telling a good story and making a good game.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a lot of ways, yes, but overall it just felt rushed because Nomura was more excited about what comes next. The game is fine as it is, but it definitely needs some DLC or a Final Mix version.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It wasn't a 13 year wait it was a 7 year wait since the game that set up Kingdom Hearts III came out 7 years ago. The story of Kingdom Hearts II was continued in 3D which came out 6 years after II did.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nomura, you cunning bastard!

That's still ridiculous. That's just shy of enough time to go through high school and get a bachelor's degree. It took so long to make KH3 after DDD that Xehanort's Japanese and English voice actors both died in the interim. And in the end KH3 doesn't do anything particularly different to justify that kind of time between installments. It's certainly not bad, but "What the hell took so long?" is a completely valid reaction to the game.

What the hell took so long which is basically 5 years and some months of development (when most AAA are on that timeframe) with the game of the franchise that still changed it's engine during development after creating the game on it from the zero, it's much bigger with it's worlds, it has much more mechanics, it's developed in a console of the last generation and it has much more people working on it. It has plenty of reasons for why it took more than what it did before which was on two generations ago for consoles.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is decent but still bummed by the difficulty and lack of ANY Final Fantasy.

Disney has gotten pretty scummy lately, or Square Enix has lost its touch. Something went wrong somewhere.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
There are very few human experiences worth a 13 year wait. That said, it did conclude the series in a satisfying way.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
You mean for a numbered mainline and a console KH game? Yes worth it even tho I'm very disappointed by the lack of FF characters and some gameplay mechanics.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I have some complaints, but I think those can be mitigated with a final mix version like KH2 was.

I really loved all 60 hours I spent with the game, need to go play through BBS and DDD though since I was confused as fuck

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Yes, it delivered on great payoffs for fans who kept up, and it captured that spectacle magic that KH is known for. Final Mix is going to come and probably solve most of the issues I have with the game just like it did in 2.

The lack of Disney bosses really kept me from saying it's my favorite KH game though. Fighting a giant UFO or a giant heartless isn't the same as fighting Oogie, Ursula, Scar, Shan Yu, Jafar, etc

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Point is i that they are just another world with no stakes on the plot

Complaining about them not being in is like complaining about Halloween Town not being in.

You can also have an excuse to include Jack and Sally....but they really are not something crucial
I see were still trying to pretend that the grand majority of this game is still important to the story despite any reason for going to the ones included in 3 have as much as reasoning as the ones we dont go to.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Amazing graphics and some (but not all) good voice work. Nice music at times and some cool worlds you visit. Let down by gimmicky sections that SE seemingly love to put in to games to ruin them, that you only use once or twice. And they're for the most part horrendous to play and suck the fun out of any game. The last 2 worlds were pretty bad. I don't mind exploring as in Hercules/Tangled/Frozen but having to do stupid, poorly tacked on elements that seem badly shoehorned in always hurts the experience. Some bosses were as bad as FFXV.

And the convoluted, confusing story with its inane characters I have no interest in, is all a load of BS.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was totally worth the wait in my opinion, because in that time they made the effort to bring all the other games to modern platforms, including a ground up remake of KH1. Not many series bother to do that. I'll take a slightly extended wait for KH3 to get complete versions of all the games that I can now play on PS5, 6, 7 etc

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was but I'm not really super into Kingdom Hearts. Only played 2, really enjoyed what I played, and thought 3 was far and away a better game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic game, the best KH game and will be my GOTY, and maybe SE's best game of the last 15 years. It nails the conclusion, something where Kojima and Bioware, and a few others have slipped over at the finishing line with MGS4 and ME3. But I can't get excited for the next game, there was about 6 years between this and 3D (which was just ok) and I don't even want to think of what's going in the middle of next decade... so no it's not worth waiting and anticipating the next one until the week or month it's out.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
I have my issues with the game for sure but overall I found it to be a good good. That said I really need a break from KH after playing that game.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
5 year wait? And yes, it was worth the 5 years. It wouldn't have been worth 13 though. I don't think any game would be able to be worth that wait.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
No game is worth 13 years. That amount of build-up is not sustainable. That said, I'm having fun with the game. Feels just like the old ones. It's not GOTY or anything, but it's definitely a nostalgic blast from the past.

ZuuL

Jan 31, 2019
No, it was a 6/10 at best game with bland, repetitive, brain dead gameplay and a storyline that was uninteresting.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Should have waited at least a couple months before making this thread. Unless a highly anticipated game is legitimately bad, most people are still in the honeymoon phase after just a couple weeks.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been wondering for a while now how Square Enix keeps trucking along like they have. More specifically, how it seems like their most lauded and important creators can't seem to write themselves out of a paper bag, like the company sees so much value in giving power to divas who legit can't seem to plan or write anything more interesting than what teenagers have come up with for stillborn RPGMaker projects. I'll never get how Square Enix still has all this clout as an RPG house when it feels like they haven't grown much beyond having learned a thing or two about spectacle.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Worth everything apart from two boring worlds. I can't actually consider myself among the people that waited for a long time because got into the series with the collection

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Finished last night, so I can finally vote.

The last 5hrs of the game were incredible. Shame you have to go through 25hrs of nothing really important to the story to reach them.

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I would have liked it a lot more if I would have played on Proud. Normal was so unbelievably easy and dull.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I believe you, and I can't wait to see it, but half the game being so inconsequential to the overall plot it's really disappointing so far :/

Disappointing? Sure. In line with how every other kingdom hearts game has worked by being extremely back heavy? Definitely.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Eh, I'm not massively dissapointed by it, but I'd say it didn't live up to my expectations. It's not like they were crazy high or anything, but it just felt like more could have been done. Playing the game is really fun; the world's are fun to explore for the most part, the weapon transformations were a nice blend between drive forms and command drives, the magics are crazy and bombastic, and things feel really good to play. It's really just that I wanted more content out of the game, both in terms of side content and playable characters. It's still grand fun, and I'm super excited to see what they add with DLC, but still there's definitely plenty of room for "more".

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
To spend that long to not include Final Fantasy characters in it makes it not worth it.
At the moment I disagree, except from Auron in the underworld being a party member, the FF characters were basically just novelty and amusing cameos but skippable for this sequel. That said it'll be cheeky if they do a Hollow Bastion DLC because it'd look like they were creating a thirst for something that was included in previous games.

Oct 25, 2017
At the moment I disagree, except from Auron in the underworld being a party member, the FF characters were basically just novelty and amusing cameos but skippable for this sequel. That said it'll be cheeky if they do a Hollow Bastion DLC because it'd look like they were creating a thirst for something that was included in previous games.
You go to hollow bastion like 4 times in two where they play roles important to the story... keep seeing ppl say this nonsense and I don't understand it. Bbs and 3d put them to the side sure but those even have excuses ones a prequel and somehow still manages to stuff a ff character in there and the other is pretty isolated in the fact sora isn't traveling thru world of now but worlds of sleep the ff characters world wasn't sleep and even than they put Twewy in there

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished, but yeah, as I only played KH2 before, I can say I don't find myself enjoying KH3 as much as I did two. KH2 could still be enjoyed enough without playing the others, but KH3 feels like it's just for the diehard fans (which is fine).

As for the combat, it was fun, but at times way to frustrating with the overly long animations and end game bosses teleporting all over the place. Also screw the underwater combat.