• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which would you pick?

• The Order: 1886

Votes: 512 54.6%
  • Ryse: Son of Rome

Votes: 425 45.4%

• Total voters

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I love the story and potential The Order had, but I voted for Ryse simply because it had a co-op horde mode that The Order desperately should have had.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The Order was just a terrible game from top to bottom and only its visuals are worthy of note.
Yeah I don't get whenever it gets called a great game or anything like that. It had what? Like four or five actual gameplay segments? You spent more time in cutscenes and more timed in forced walking segments than you actually spent in any shooting sections. The actual shooting was decent enough but the pacing was absolutely god awful. On top of that the boss fights were a complete and utter joke.

It would have been maybe a 7/10 or 8/10 if it was episode 1 of a four part release, but as an entire game it's mediocre at best.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've not played Ryse, but I voted for it.

That said 1886 was very disappointing, as it was basically an intro to a proper game that doesn't exist. Make that game and it could be something.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I finished the order. The characters and story at least managed to push me through... I couldn't finish Ryse though. Not very interesting story or characters which made the crappy gameplay really hard to ignore.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed both, but I prefer the setting of The Order.

Another reason to vote for The Order might be a problem: Ryse ends at the end (not too short or long), but it feels there could be so much more in The Order 1886.
The shooting felt good with fun weapons, but you don't get to shoot enough...

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I got The Order on sale for 5 bucks, played through in two sittings, and still felt ripped off. I donated it to GameStop for like 13 cents because I just wanted to be rid of it.

I've played ten minutes of Ryse, but it can't possibly be as bad as The Order, it just can't.

Oct 28, 2017
Is Ryse worth playing on Gamepass? Everyone is saying they felt ripped off at paying five bucks for each of these games but I just want to know if Ryse is worth my time

Oct 1, 2019
I'm just here to express my support for The Order: 1886. I would very much appreciate it if Sony made a spiritual successor.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta give the honors to Ryse. Third-person cover-based shooters like The Order are a dime-a-dozen, but it's pretty rare to get a competent AAA-game with melee combat like Ryse. It doesn't really set the world on fire with its innovations, but it's certainly part of a more rare breed.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Ryse worth playing on Gamepass? Everyone is saying they felt ripped off at paying five bucks for each of these games but I just want to know if Ryse is worth my time
It's basically a linear level-based game with Arkham Batman-style combat. If that sounds good to you, then you will have fun. Even in the standalone/multiplayer levels, keeping your combos chained and going is a fun challenge.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Ryse has a special place in my heart and for a game that started out as a Kinect monstrosity I'd say Ryse turned out fairly well. The sequel potential is crazy too in my opinion as Ryse's biggest issues are things that could be easily rectified with more time and a better starting vision.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Battle of the pigs in lipstick.

Ryse at least has a horde mode that lets you actually play the game. The Order practically invites you into a five star restaurant, lifts the platters on the table, shows you the beautiful roasted duck dinner and then politely kicks your ass to the curb before you can even catch a whiff. At least Ryse had the decency of sending me home with something in a take out container.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Equally bad

In context, The Order hurt way more

Ryse came and went during launch, was bad, but the sting was numbed by being able to play Dead Rising, Forza, or Killer Instinct instead.

The Order came out during the PEAK, of the time period in the PS4's life cycle when we were in a software drought from Sony. And we all thought (at some point, even if only when that first trailer dropped) that this was going to be Sony's big new IP for this generation.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I own and played both. The Order 1886 is definitely the better game but I understand why are they pitted against each other. Ryse was a jank fest with brain dead combat from start to finish but a very interesting concept. The Order's main issues is that it's too short but what's there is quality.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The order was better in terms of what gameplay and atmosphere there was, but Ryse was at least a finished package.

Both were kinda crap though and I'm glad I only paid a fiver for each.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Ryse by a long shot. Order had great atmosphere but Ryse did everything else better fwiw.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Played both, neither were really bad games just uninspired. Enjoyed Ryse a lot more as I thought the combat system was better, more dynamic maybe? 1886 never really felt like there was a lot of freedom to do much of anything. The repeated boss fight in 1886 killed me too, absolutely baffling decision for a fight that wasn't even good to begin with.

Story-wise, I can't really remember either of them except for the final Batman shot of 1886 lol. I think I liked 1886's better? But not by much.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not going to vote because I haven't played The Order. But a lot of the negativity around Ryse was that it was 900p, and a lot of people weren't even willing to give it a chance and preferred to use it as fanboy ammunition.

It was a decent game and I'd love to have seen a sequel build on it.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Easily Ryse, ancient rome vibes with me and the multiplayer offered 20 or so hours of good fun as well when it worked.

Though I did enjoy Order as well, shame it's dead.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither was very good of course (and it's hard to compare like for like across genres), but The Order was definitely a better game than Ryse in every way it needed to be. Ryse genuinely had some of the laziest, most basic-ass combat design I've ever encountered in an action game. Like, there are seriously musou titles with more depth to their combat than Ryse.

Really though, the only genuinely nice thing you can say about either title is that they looked nice.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Ryse is boring but inoffensive.

Order 1886 is straight up terrible despite the fantastic audiovisual presentation and serviceable gameplay. One of the worst stories and writing I've seen in a big budget game.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
The two games look great to this day. Both have big standard gameplay in their respective genres. It's actually a really close comparison.

I liked the story in Ryse better though, so it gets my vote.

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Both games were flawed, but I did end up still liking them and would love to see (better) sequels.

I voted for The Order though, because I loved the atmosphere and setting so much.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Ryse was fun and looked amazing. It might be because im just desperate for a god damn roman game but id vote ryse

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think The Order is a pretty decent game. I don't see how it was worse than something like Uncharted 1, which had similar scope, and spawned multiple sequels. If Sony had greenlit a sequel I think they could have iterated in a good direction.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I liked Ryse well enough. Certainly a pretty game, and the combat was derivative, but well implemented at least. I won't vote because I haven't played The Order though

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I haven't play The Order but Ryse was a lot better than I was led to believe.

Neither deserve to be $60 games though.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Played both and thought both were alright over all. Both had potential though so would be happy for the sequels we will never get. The Order 1886 had better graphics, even compared to Ryse on PC, but both were great looking games. Ryse felt somewhat curtailed, especially in the latter part of the game, bits were just missing. The combat was also too one note. Order 1886 had a great setting, but the narrative just wasn't coherent enough. Gameplay was fine but too restrictive in terms of level design.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Order is not just a worse game but also has a lot of wasted potentials. It pitched an unique setting where you fight mystical monsters with steampunk weapons. What you ended getting is a generic cover shooter in which you fight the same human rebel enemies over and over.

Ryse is exactly what it seems, a competent melee combat action game.

I think most people are just voting for the game on the one console they have.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Played both, didn't really like either one. Assassins Creed Odyssey was a better Ryse, Assassins Creed London was a better Order 1886.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Both are very mediocre but honestly, I really liked both!!
Finished 2 or 3 times both and had much fun...
I really like cinematic, high production value games and the theme of both games are really awesome...
I would absolute love a sequel for both games.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Order 1886 has so much latent potential. I enjoyed the game on its own, but it's obvious there are plenty of shortcomings.

Just imagining what a sequel could be... man. Could be incredible.