• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Styles?

• Odyssey/Galaxy Art Style RPG

Votes: 66 42.9%
  • Paper Mario Art Style RPG

Votes: 72 46.8%
  • M&L Art Style RPG

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Imagine a new Mario RPG for Switch.

We already know how Mario RPGs are with Paper Mario/M&L style. Imagine a world where Nintendo created a new Mario RPG for Switch with the art style/assets of Galaxy/Odyssey. I think that would be awesome.

Which would you pick for the next Mario RPG title, ignoring practical impacts on other projects/etc.? Also, what novel effects would you expect for a given art style for a new Switch title?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting thought. I think a Mario RPG with Odyssey or Galaxy art style would be a fresh and new experience for sure.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Ever since SMRPG, I've wanted a sequel with that exact same style. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series never jived with me like the original SMRPG did.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Personally I'd love a new Mario and Luigi game. Too bad Alphadream is dead

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thought. I think a Mario RPG with Odyssey or Galaxy art style would be a fresh and new experience for sure.
I agree, I don't know if I would bring Geno back but it'd be fun to see what Booster and Mallow are doing, and other characters in the original. I loved TTYD but this would be more refreshing and we've had 2 good Paper Mario games.

OP
OP

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Thanks OP, you are really a creative person, nice take.

I think a Galaxy style RPG would be incredible. Especially if they reuse assets from MK8.... There is so much potential for an awesome classic jrpg

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8's art style dumps on all of those.

A fully explorable areas/towns on the level of Wild Woods is da dream.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I really wanted a new Mario & Luigi on the Switch since I was looking forward to how that could look, if it would be sprite-based, 3D cel-shaded, etc., but Alphadream is no longer, so yeah. I'd hope for a new/different art style completely if we got a new Mario RPG.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Either Odyssey or Paper Mario. Had enough M&L and probably won't buy another.

Should make one like a modernized Super Mario RPG.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe like Odyssey, but more like the production artwork style(s) and ideas:

PVBUqBG.jpg

e8nm61p.jpg

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Ever since SMRPG, I've wanted a sequel with that exact same style. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series never jived with me like the original SMRPG did.
yaeh. basically just keep the same style but with HD graphics and lighting, which is essentially what odyssey is. The quality of those games is just amazing, would love to see it remade like that.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love the Mario & Luigi art style to get a fully 3D game, RIP Alpha Dream though

Seriously, this is the best Mario has ever looked

mario_luigi_and_starlow_bis.png

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i never particularly cared for the paper mario/M&L direction of the franchise, though most of those games are superb. just feels like the "mario rpg" sub series deserved more of a red carpet treatment... at least here at there