• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How has your income been impacted by the COVID-19 crisis?

• I have been permanently laid off

Votes: 28 2.0%
  • I have been temporarily laid off without pay or I am freelancer/contractor struggling to secure work

Votes: 101 7.1%
  • I have been temporarily laid off with pay

Votes: 29 2.0%
  • One or multiple other people in my household have lost their income

Votes: 118 8.3%
  • Members of my family outside of my household have lost their income

Votes: 102 7.2%
  • My income is secure for now, but I am uncertain of its future

Votes: 433 30.5%
  • My income is secure and I expect it will remain so through the duration of the crisis

Votes: 782 55.1%

• Total voters

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
My income is safe for now, but my flat mates are self-employed and their business has taken an absolute hit (they work in event planning). The Spanish government has announced some relief plans for people like then so hopefully they'll be ok, because we are all sharing expenses at a rented apartment and I would not be able to pay everyone else's rent.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Secure for now, a small question mark for its future. If the government needs to cut down heavily after the crisis is over, I can see myself on the chopping block.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Nurse so if anything I might be working overtime over the upcoming weeks. A close friend has been off for 3 weeks.

cyress8

Avenger
Safe for now, but we are a small family business. We have a few things we are finishing up this week and next, but after that is going to be the true test. If we stop getting any work and they do not pass a stimulus for small businesses or put a freeze on billing/loans, we will need to shut down until we have a vaccine.

Thankfully, we do not owe mortgage on our land, we paid that off completely a few years ago, so we can actually start back up and keep moving forward. Just need to make sure no one rob us and take all our tools while we are closed.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I work for a large telecom, so I think they're gonna be fine throughout all this, but I work in research so the amount they value my work depends on the quarter. Hopefully things will be fine. My wife has a pretty stable job in software. Even if they hit hard times, they wouldn't fire her cause she's too good at her job.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Around 50% of our income is from tourism. That's wiped out completely if this continues. As well as 20% of our GDP.

It will be hard but we'll make it work. Since the war in the 90s we've pretty much been in an neverending recession or at least have never really experienced prosperous times, so this is nothing new.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Everything is okay right now, but in a month everything could collapse. I'm working from home and paid with grant money, and the announcement of new grants (which we always get every year) got delayed so I have zero clue if my boss will have the money to pay me past this month. Elephant in the room.

My wife works in child care and she was guaranteed her next two paychecks but after that, if this goes into the summer, or even beyond. Yeah I'll be paying my mortgage with EI money.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I'm self-employed so I'm fucked. I was in the middle of a tub to shower pan conversion, and was about to finish it, but the number of cases started to multiply in my town, so the home owner decided to leave for a while, leaving me kinda in the air. I have little to no savings, so... yeah, things will get tough.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a student, so I'm not currently working. I just got offered an internship, and the company seems confident that it'll go forward no matter what happens, but it's still stressful. Who knows what the job market will look like when I graduate in December.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Still working full-time and salaried.

Our business was deemed essential so we are able to continue to operate and employ current workers.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Even if unemployment hit ridiculous numbers, I'll still have a job. I do coding at a hospital and I am the keyhole through which all money must pass.

Oct 28, 2017
The store was told to cut hours so a lot of people have minimal time or got taken off completely.

Full time people like me on the other hand are getting a fuckton of OT.

This plan makes no sense.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I work for a grocery-anchored real estate company so we're actually doing very good at the moment.

Neutral_Jump

Mar 21, 2020
Saint Louis
I am/was a full-time freelancer with a diverse income, but 2 of the 3 income streams have dried up with my only remaining source of money ending on April 30. Even then, my max earning potential for the next month is still right around $1,000. In general, freelancers and 1099 employees have seen an accelerated thinning of income since 2017 because of terrible policy changes, and the coronavirus has only worsened the situation. I spent most of my 20s amassing a large video game collection that I've become less and less attached to though, so my next move is to begin selling stuff en masse either through eBay or forums.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
I am ok for now but I am a contract worker who was hoping for a full time position with my current company. Not sure that's in the cards anymore.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I have no income. I'm a server so I've been temporarily laid off and have a job waiting if the restaurant survives this. I'm a bit down because of it, but everybody is going through some shit rn.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Not much if at all, but who knows depending on how bad this gets and how long it will go for.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
My income is the same (and temporary even better as I get my seasonal coaching salary this week) as I am a student will get the same subsidies until May anyway. I just don't have a job for the summer (and have zero chance of getting one because of this) meaning it's social security for me until September. My wife has lost about 2/3 of her hours and will probably be laid off this week. She will get something from the union at least for a short while but getting that applications through will take time.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I do inspections on refineries. There was a confirmed case from an employee of the refinery I was at, and they promptly sent me home after that. I have no idea when I'll be back to work, but I am without income for now. Not sure if I should file for unemployment, but going to call my boss on Wednesday to see if she'll be sending us out to jobsites or if flights are on hold until further notice.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
IT, full-time and salaried.
I'm actually busier now than I've been in the past, trying to get clients over the initial hump of teleworking.
The longer this drags on, however, the more strange it becomes.
I don't think all of said clients will be able to weather multiple months of reduced operations, but I'm confidently secure for the foreseeable future.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They cut our max hours down to 32 at work so my paycheck's about to get smaller. I think I'll be able to cover it but I'm not sure. There's so much uncertainty right now, this shit is terrifying. I genuinely don't know if I'm going to have a job in the next few weeks.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Supermarket worker, so mine has gone up substantially. They're letting us do whatever hours we want.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Hopefully my freelancing keeps up. Clients are apparently not holding off so far, so I am expecting steady work in the near future.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
I just got furloughed by my company which was a chain gym. I was in IT. First job out of college and it hasn't been a year yet so I'm not sure what to do.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Wife is a teacher and I work for state government so we good. That's one of the few benefits of working in state government.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a phonecall today that I've been temporarily laid off. Have to join all the other people to apply for unemployment insurance. At least my company will still supply me with extended health benefits.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I work in IT at a newscorp.

Apart from doctor/nurse, right now it feels like no job has better job security.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I was emailed today saying that I was essential for the University operations to keep going. So I am fine at least for now. Not sure how this will affect incoming freshman this fall. .

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
- My income is secure for now, but I am uncertain of its future
- My income is secure and I expect it will remain so through the duration of the crisis

I'm somewhere between these two. I'm an account manager at a software company. I feel secure, but it's always in the back of my mind that something could happen that I didn't expect. My company did cancel all raises for this year, which I was not scheduled to get anyways. But if they're taking steps like that it's possible they would consider some layoffs. I'll probably be in more danger at the end of the year than I am now.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My income is secured for the rest of this school year, but with all the money government's are having to spend during this crisis I am slightly worried how education funding will be effected for the next school year.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't been affected, but my mom has been furloughed for the time being and she is a nurse. My uncle has also been furloughed and he works for the airline industry.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
My income will be fine. Maybe won't get a raise this year.
My wife had her hours cut, and I wouldn't be surprised if it escalates.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I was unemployed and looking for work when this all started (and so far still am), so it feels like I was in a small boat that everyone started jumping into all of a sudden. It's almost been comforting since I can partially lay the blame on the situation now.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My income is secured for the rest of this school year, but with all the money government's are having to spend during this crisis I am slightly worried how education funding will be effected for the next school year.

I'm with you... but I don't know how they could cut education funding when we have kids missing out on 3.5 months of school. These kids are going to be behind..

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our hours and therefore pay, have been cut by 40%.

Essential Bill's including a large mortgage payment are about 75% of what my wage is spent on.

So............doing the math is scary.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Probably okay for now.. though I just found out that 5 out of our 14 office staff will be laid off by Monday next week. I'm safe because of my technical background mostly.. I'm setting up the remote access and that needs to be sustained.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing has changed, but I'm assuming that we will get performance bonus cut (which isn't very high to be begin with anyways).

We have an all hands on call tomorrow so we may get more information.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
My income's unaffected, and I can't really think of any possible way it could be in the future. I lucked out.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I run a small business, with my wife and I as salaried directors. We are nowhere near "key workers" so my wife's side of the business needed to be put on hold when we went into isolation just over a week ago and she needed to look after both our children full-time. Luckily, she should be covered by the UK's wage relief scheme, so 80% of her salary will be repaid by the government from the end of April.

My side of the business looked a bit dicey a week ago, but I've recently had new contracts signed that should secure my income until autumn, although I am working nights a lot at the moment to keep on top of everything while my wife home-schools and looks after the kids. I realise I'm lucky to be in the position I'm in, though, so I'm not going to complain about working a bunch of late nights to keep our income flowing; there are people out there doing far worse for far less.