• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has Genshin Impact convinced you to pay into the gacha system?

• I'm playing Genshin Impact and never intend to pay for wishes

Votes: 527 60.3%
  • I'm playing Genshin Impact and didn't intend to pay for wishes, but have now changed my mind

Votes: 53 6.1%
  • I'm playing Genshin Impact and always intended to pay for wishes

Votes: 54 6.2%
  • I'm undecided and/or will see how things go

Votes: 134 15.3%
  • No.

Votes: 106 12.1%

• Total voters

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm just curious as to how we, on an enthusiast forum, feel about this games monetisation system

The game appeals to those who like or prefer SP games, while using a gacha system for monetisation

I downloaded the game knowing full well I wasn't ever going to pay to keep playing, and so far I'm really enjoying the game.

Honestly, paying for wishes isn't necessary at the moment as it's possible to progress the story with the characters the game gives you for free

So I really just want to know who else went into the game with my mindset, and how many people have the changed their minds after playing it for a while

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't pay for wishes per se, i bought both passes to leave some money for the 125 hours of great entertainment i got for free so far.

Yeah I can see people wanting to pay for something just to give the developers something back, even if they're not that bothered with paying to get better gear/characters

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
If anything the opposite. The odds have been terrible on my free rolls, so why would I want to pay money for them?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I am inclined to atleast spent a bit on banners with characters I want, but only at the end of its runtime in case I roll those chars for free.

I did purchase the 5 buck pass though and maybe will buy the battlepass if I get to Rank 30 there.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
I think I might somewhere down the line since I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this free game. Probably $30-$50.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
It shown me how predatory and how rigged the system is. I could maybe buy the daily pass thingie and maybe the battle pass but I'll never buy wish.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Already spent $25 and I feel utterly horrible about it.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I don't intend on playing this at all since I'm completely burnt out on open world stuff at the moment but my thinking would be along the lines of... I'd play it without spending anything and if I ended up enjoying it I'd probably spend 20~30€ to show support after accumulating a healthy amount of play time.

Basically what I did with LoL, essentially.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I only bought the monthly pass for 5 bucks and it brought me pretty far. I have so many characters that I can afford to send several on material hunting and I obtained the most prized character in the game, Venti. :)

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No, even got a 5 star with a free pull and don't use her much.

If you count the main character I have 3 five star characters from free wishes, but even if I didn't, I'd still not be buying more chances. The four star characters don't really seem much worse if you're just exploring and doing the story missions

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The drop rates are so bad, it's not even funny to pay money for this garbage.

That said, the game plays perfectly fine with the characters the game gives you. In fact, I only played with characters you get during the story. That might not be great for endgame content, but I was never interested in the grind. I finished the story (easily) with the characters given to me and called it a day.

Apart from that I already paid a few Euros here and there for Gacha games in the past. But only super cheap starter and event packs so in sum I might have spent 30€ on Gacha games in all my life.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Probably gonna pay a little, never intended. Though I did buy battle pass and this "welking blessing" for 5$.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Played it a while, didn't spend anything, don't intend to because I stopped playing :p

The main reason wasn't even really the gatcha part itself, more the associated mechanics of levelling/ascending through rare materials, grinding dailies etc. These games *always* start to feel more like a job to me so I quit before I got hooked.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
I will happily give Genshin my free Google play points but besides that I won't spend a dime. Funny enough I was actually considering it til I saw how little value you actually get per dollar and how bad the draw rates are. Only thing thats "worth" it in Genshin is the 5$ monthly pass and luckily can get that ever other month off Google surveys.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If anything the opposite. The odds have been terrible on my free rolls, so why would I want to pay money for them?
Pretty much this.

There's so little characters that targeting for the ones you really want seems incredibly stupid to me, given that most pulls just give you worthless weapons and maybe one character you barely want, if even that.
That said, to be fair I dunno if I will continue playing anyway, since the honeymoon was over as soon as I realized how much _stuff_ I would need to level new items or characters or weapons anyway the higher I get.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I will happily give Genshin my free Google play points but besides that I won't spend a dime. Funny enough I was actually considering it til I saw how little value you actually get per dollar and how bad the draw rates are. Only thing thats "worth" it in Genshin is the 5$ monthly pass and luckily can get that ever other month off Google surveys.

Tell me more about these surveys

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I have a golden rule: If it's F2P, I'll play it for free until it bores me/I hit a ceiling, then I'll drop it.
I only made one exception for The Tomorrow Children, for which I bought that starter pack (since I intended to buy the game before it was announced as F2P anyway).

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played the game and spent nothing. Got to AR 25 and beat Act 1 and decided to stop playing because it started to open up battle passes and other F2P BS I don't like. I enjoyed my time with it. I really wish they would've just released a $60 game with none of this F2P gacha bs.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
no plans to spend any money on it. i'll get out as much enjoyment as i can for free and then quit if it gets too grindy.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Don't plan on it.

I don't need to climb the abyss to insane levels. I find the main game the most enjoyable, and for that I don't need X character. Rerolled for Mona and got her after 70 tries. She isn't that great for my party atm but it's okay cause I am having fun with what I have.

There are no leaderboards, there is no pvp, no overdemanding co op... Why should I? I am clearing content swimmingly without spending money.

I would feel really guilty for spending money on pulls since rates are awful and because I am in no rush. Game will be here for a long time and there will be a new powercreep - carrot on the stick to chase after.

This is one of the f2p games I feel one could play truly f2p.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not a no option? Or doe you mean "For those playing Genshin" ? Should update the title in that case.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Payed the battle pass and the monthly thingy.

I don't think I'm paying for wishes even if I save the primogems from the monthly system for it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, made me just decide I'm good and stop playing the game, game was fun, but could see it was heading to a grindfest which I'm not in the mood for.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Quite the opposite. I gave the game a good crack and all I could think was "this is slow, plays terrible and the menus are confusing"

There was also no tutorial that I hit which explained the different currencies and how to get new characters. Probably doesn't help that the starting guy had my favourite design so not that interested anyway.

Just seems bad and feels cheap. I'm less inclined to try this sort of thing now.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no, those rates are so damn low and the price is so high. I love Genshin but the cost of a pull is absolute batshit.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If anything it has convince me even more to completely get away from that shit.

lol

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
As a f2p player and someone who has played a lot of gacha games, some even spending a bit of money I have no intention of spending in GI thus far.

1. Rates are awful.
2. Combat for the most part seems skill based and having a slot of 4 characters gives a lot of versatility.
3. Somewhat favourable RNG for my f2p pulls leads to less desire to try and get more rare stuff.
4. I'm undecided if I actually want to keep playing for the long haul.
5. The surrounding system of the game feels poised for power creep and more abusive exploitation down the track. While this is something many gacha games do, I rarely have concerns about it this early. Though perhaps it is just a pacing/content issue. I am usually fairly content and the walls/grinds seem further ahead on the horizon in other gacha.
6. Part of the overall gacha genre GaaS setup involves content updates, banners etc. I'll need to see some of this to get a better gauge of what I'm in for in the longer run which I would then use to gauge whether I want to put money into it or not.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I think it has un-convinced me with how shit the odds are. I probably would have paid some money if they weren't shit. I don't even have a 5 star yet

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first option is kind of "no"

If the question is, has it convinced you, and the answer is, you never intend to buy them, then we can infer it's not convinced you
I get that, but the title isnt clear about this, it can be read as the game's proposition, without having to sample it. Anyway, no need to continue this.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): Drive by post. Prior ban for the same.
Is this the breathe of the wild rip-off again? Will never download it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah, it's a really nice mobile game

At least it'll be a fun game to play casually until Wild Rift drops.

Last edited:

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
InfatuatedDeadGoldenretriever-size_restricted.gif

Zen_Mu

Dec 7, 2017
I decided to get the 10 dollar battle pass and the 4.99 thing for both myself and my daughter. Enjoying playing the game with her too much to not give them anything. Zero desire to spend anymore than that, I ended up with QiQi, Venti, and most of the best 4 stars just off of free gem wishes. Plus I'm guessing my daughter will get bored with it after a month or so, and i'll be 100% on Cyberpunk when that drops.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The monetization scheme has done more than convince me not just to buy in, but not to play at all.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, if the gacha rates weren't so unfavorable and if I knew I actually had a good shot at obtaining the character I liked, I would gladly pay more than the monthly 5 bucks pass into the game.
I really wonder if they wouldn't actually make more money in the long run if the rates and the pity system were more favorable. Possibly millions of people paying little to moderate amounts of money into the game than just a hundred thousand whales dumping hundreds into the game. Mihoyo will probably know what is more profitable for them though...